Skip to content

Jones allowed to test market

The Browns Board
17 10 1.4k
  • @roach said:

    Today's paper also reports that Cribbs will get a look at a DB position. Clearly, the new front office is beginning to catch up to Roach's evaluation of talent. Thank goodness. It's lonely up here.

    LOL....I agree man....I would have been working Cribbs at safety 2 years ago.

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @ballpeen said:

    LOL....I agree man....I would have been working Cribbs at safety 2 years ago.

    He said they are going to take a look at Cribbs at both safety and corner.

  • L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by lemosley01
    #8

    I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).

    Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?

  • W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I was thinking Chung may be high on there boards for S in second round.

  • What troubles me is that Anderson seems to be a better practice player than Quinn. Gametime that seems to change. I hope it's just posturing in order to keep the value up.

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @sez.ej said:

    What troubles me is that Anderson seems to be a better practice player than Quinn. Gametime that seems to change. I hope it's just posturing in order to keep the value up.

    Good point Sez, and I've said this for awhile. DA is a better practice player than Queen, I saw it with my own eyes. However, in actual games, those defenses can actually hit you standing back there,

    Posturing is everything from here on out.

  • I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).

    Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @lemosley01 said:

    I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).

    Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?

    A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.

    I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.

  • @ballpeen said:

    LOL....I agree man....I would have been working Cribbs at safety 2 years ago.

    He said they are going to take a look at Cribbs at both safety and corner.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    He said they are going to take a look at Cribbs at both safety and corner.

    I know...Roach and I were ahead of the curve.😉

  • @lemosley01 said:

    I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).

    Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?

    A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.

    I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.

    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @riffer-x said:

    A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.

    I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.

    I agree. I think Jenkins will be a good corner. But I don't think he's the impact player you need with the #5 pick

    Although it's well known that Mangini loves big physical corners.

  • G Greythan wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I can echo the practice God that DA presents. Spent a day at training camp in Berea and came away flat out dazzled at the way his ball looks through the air. Cutting, tight and effortless motion. Guy throws a beautiful ball.

    I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?

  • I can echo the practice God that DA presents. Spent a day at training camp in Berea and came away flat out dazzled at the way his ball looks through the air. Cutting, tight and effortless motion. Guy throws a beautiful ball.

    I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?

    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @greythan said:

    I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?

    I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.

    I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.

  • @greythan said:

    I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?

    I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.

    I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #16

    oldcow1945 said:

    I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.

    I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.

    Yeah, what you just said.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #17

    For safety, the franchise tag is $6.3 million. For the transition tag, it is $5.13 million.

    By not tagging Jones either way, it means we won't pay 6.3 million and don't want to start the bidding on him at 5.13 million.....and it probably wouldn't start that high, we would be stuck with that amount.

    We are doing it the right way....let some other team start the bidding so we can consider beating it, or just let him go.

    Some of you seem too eager to overpay for a pretty average performer.

    JMO