Skip to content

Equilibrium?

The Browns Board
43 15 1.8k
  • I know Armonty is listed at 265 but you guys know that's that's not accurate right? He's "at least" Krugers weight...likely a little more, pushing 280. He has to be. You cannot play the 5 tech in the NFL at 265

    @clevfan4life said:

    I know Armonty is listed at 265 but you guys know that's that's not accurate right? He's "at least" Krugers weight...likely a little more, pushing 280. He has to be. You cannot play the 5 tech in the NFL at 265

    yeah...he's got a lot of junk in the trunk.....sure looks bigger to me

  • Zombo said:

    Kitchen stays. As do the Bryants and Taylor. I think Taylor moves inside with Starks and DBryant at the ends, and then ABryant , Winn, Hughes and Kitchen rotate in. Draft not a priority but Taylor needs replaced next year.

    Zombo

    So, keep all 7?....plus at least one draftee makes 8.....which is 2 more than we carried last year....so 2 xtra roster spots used here???

    and it seems like we could be adding a third QB this year......so 1 xtra roster spot used here too..?

    and we only carried 2 extra OL and (I think we could add one here).....so 1 extra spot used here too?(maybe not)

    which means 3 to 4 less roster spots elsewhere.....not sure where we'd start choppin tho....(ok wr, but then where?)

    @mudfly said:

    So, keep all 7?....plus at least one draftee makes 8.....which is 2 more than we carried last year....so 2 xtra roster spots used here???

    and it seems like we could be adding a third QB this year......so 1 xtra roster spot used here too..?

    and we only carried 2 extra OL and (I think we could add one here).....so 1 extra spot used here too?(maybe not)

    which means 3 to 4 less roster spots elsewhere.....not sure where we'd start choppin tho....(ok wr, but then where?)

    @mudfly said:

    Gotta say thats not one I had never considered....though he is Krugerish in size....dont have a clue how he'd do....

    Though I think we have a lot of guys who could play a lot of places in Pettines system and he's game to put em there....I never know what they're thinking...

    @mudfly said:

    yeah, it's along the same lines as what I was yakking about above....that me thinks they're gonna grab a DE to be the next OLB...

    Just never thought of Bryant....it will be interesting to see what they do(draft wise)....heck, they could move Taylor or Hughes back to nose and then everything changes....again.....oy

    I was catching up on this thread and bookmarking the ones I wanted to reply to...and they all turned out to be you, Mud.

    I think the Starks acquisition frees things up along the line. Starks can play 3-tech or 5-tech. He can play 3-4 NT, he can play 4-3 DE. He's versatile enough and has had experience in most positions along the defensive line to where we might be able to push Bryant to OLB, or Taylor to NT, or Kruger to DE on any given play.

    As it stands right now, I foresee us having multiple different packages this season. We could have a package with Starks, Taylor and Winn with their hands in the dirt, and Kruger and Bryant standing up. Hell, we could have a package with Kruger, Mingo, Bryant, Robertson and Dansby all standing up. (Bring back that UFO defense)

    I like the thought of adding a pure pass rusher in the draft, but I think we enough versatility and talent right now to easily go into the season with. What I would really love to see is us find either a Kuechly-esque field general at ILB or just a straight up mad dog run stuffer at ILB. One or the other would be nice.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I know Armonty is listed at 265 but you guys know that's that's not accurate right? He's "at least" Krugers weight...likely a little more, pushing 280. He has to be. You cannot play the 5 tech in the NFL at 265

    yeah...he's got a lot of junk in the trunk.....sure looks bigger to me

    @mudfly said:

    yeah...he's got a lot of junk in the trunk.....sure looks bigger to me

    losing 10-15 lbs and moving outside might be just what he needs. I've been saying for awhile that he's our most technically gifted pass rusher. I wish Kruger would develop some of the hand skills that armonty has....if Kruger could do that he'd be able to get around the edge way more proficiently.

  • @mudfly said:

    So, keep all 7?....plus at least one draftee makes 8.....which is 2 more than we carried last year....so 2 xtra roster spots used here???

    and it seems like we could be adding a third QB this year......so 1 xtra roster spot used here too..?

    and we only carried 2 extra OL and (I think we could add one here).....so 1 extra spot used here too?(maybe not)

    which means 3 to 4 less roster spots elsewhere.....not sure where we'd start choppin tho....(ok wr, but then where?)

    @mudfly said:

    Gotta say thats not one I had never considered....though he is Krugerish in size....dont have a clue how he'd do....

    Though I think we have a lot of guys who could play a lot of places in Pettines system and he's game to put em there....I never know what they're thinking...

    @mudfly said:

    yeah, it's along the same lines as what I was yakking about above....that me thinks they're gonna grab a DE to be the next OLB...

    Just never thought of Bryant....it will be interesting to see what they do(draft wise)....heck, they could move Taylor or Hughes back to nose and then everything changes....again.....oy

    I was catching up on this thread and bookmarking the ones I wanted to reply to...and they all turned out to be you, Mud.

    I think the Starks acquisition frees things up along the line. Starks can play 3-tech or 5-tech. He can play 3-4 NT, he can play 4-3 DE. He's versatile enough and has had experience in most positions along the defensive line to where we might be able to push Bryant to OLB, or Taylor to NT, or Kruger to DE on any given play.

    As it stands right now, I foresee us having multiple different packages this season. We could have a package with Starks, Taylor and Winn with their hands in the dirt, and Kruger and Bryant standing up. Hell, we could have a package with Kruger, Mingo, Bryant, Robertson and Dansby all standing up. (Bring back that UFO defense)

    I like the thought of adding a pure pass rusher in the draft, but I think we enough versatility and talent right now to easily go into the season with. What I would really love to see is us find either a Kuechly-esque field general at ILB or just a straight up mad dog run stuffer at ILB. One or the other would be nice.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    As it stands right now, I foresee us having multiple different packages this season.

    I like the thought of adding a pure pass rusher in the draft, but I think we enough versatility and talent right now to easily go into the season with. What I would really love to see is us find either a Kuechly-esque field general at ILB or just a straight up mad dog run stuffer at ILB. One or the other would be nice.

    It seems to all make sense.....as Pettine pretty much preaches multiple and confusing fronts with flex players that can move around(a lot).....which is why it's confounding me trying to predict "who" or what type of player they covet most....or if they perceive their needs the same as we do....

    The Kuechley reference rings true, cause the one thing I really think is that Pettine is on a mission for football players(not body types or potential)...

    So, I think he'd just take the best D player and fit him in.....but it could be a Beasley type....a Shelton type....or a Dupree type...

  • @thenew23 said:

    Kruger - 6'4" 270lbs

    Sheard - 6'3" 264lbs

    Bryant - 6'4" 265lbs

    No difference in size to me. If anything, Bryant is even more athletic than both of the others. Remember, Mingo is quite undersized for the position at 6'4" 240lbs. Also, Scott Solomon looked decent the last couple games and he's an OLB.

    Last year, Sheard lined up close to the line of scrimmage and even in a 3-point stance much of the time. I wonder if the plan is to utilize Bryant the same way. It just makes too much sense to me...

    yeah, it's along the same lines as what I was yakking about above....that me thinks they're gonna grab a DE to be the next OLB...

    Just never thought of Bryant....it will be interesting to see what they do(draft wise)....heck, they could move Taylor or Hughes back to nose and then everything changes....again.....oy

    @mudfly said:

    yeah, it's along the same lines as what I was yakking about above....that me thinks they're gonna grab a DE to be the next OLB...

    Just never thought of Bryant....it will be interesting to see what they do(draft wise)....heck, they could move Taylor or Hughes back to nose and then everything changes....again.....oy

    After they signed Starks and extended Hughes, I almost guarantee they plan to use Hughes in the middle. He and Taylor are both big enough to play the NT spot, so maybe all of us raving about Shelton and Brown in the draft are way off... Like you've said, it's hard to say with the multiple fronts Pettine and O'neil like to use. They do need to shore up that run D first before getting too pass-rush happy IMHO

  • I'm pissed off because were going back to the Mangina way of doing things like, Signing aged veterans.. This basically guarantees we wont be in the hunt anytime soon, and we''ll be another losing facsimile I.E. "The Mangina Way" wich is the loser way.

  • I'm pissed off because were going back to the Mangina way of doing things like, Signing aged veterans.. This basically guarantees we wont be in the hunt anytime soon, and we''ll be another losing facsimile I.E. "The Mangina Way" wich is the loser way.

    @nickers said:

    I'm pissed off because were going back to the Mangina way of doing things like, Signing aged veterans.. This basically guarantees we wont be in the hunt anytime soon, and we''ll be another losing facsimile I.E. "The Mangina Way" wich is the loser way.

    But...there's only so much coaches can teach. Reason why the Pgh defense was so good as long as it was wasn't all because of Lebeau. Yes he masterminded the scheme, but the field knowledge that was passed on from the vets. I'm ok with signing vets as long as they have a few years left in the tank. Wilfork would have been a great sign for us. Here he wouldn't have had the same work load he had in NE. And of course there's the SB"s he's won.

  • I'm pissed off because were going back to the Mangina way of doing things like, Signing aged veterans.. This basically guarantees we wont be in the hunt anytime soon, and we''ll be another losing facsimile I.E. "The Mangina Way" wich is the loser way.

    @nickers said:

    I'm pissed off because were going back to the Mangina way of doing things like, Signing aged veterans.. This basically guarantees we wont be in the hunt anytime soon, and we''ll be another losing facsimile I.E. "The Mangina Way" wich is the loser way.

    what the hell are you talking about? This was a somewhat intelligent conversation until you showed up...

  • and stop the mangini hate...we'd be in year 5 of his rule right now with probably at least 2 playoff appearances. The man knew how to setup a run game in the AFC North, we'd be the monsters everybody would be looking up at in the division. It would be old school football and all of you would love it.

  • and stop the mangini hate...we'd be in year 5 of his rule right now with probably at least 2 playoff appearances. The man knew how to setup a run game in the AFC North, we'd be the monsters everybody would be looking up at in the division. It would be old school football and all of you would love it.

    @clevfan4life said:

    and stop the mangini hate...we'd be in year 5 of his rule right now with probably at least 2 playoff appearances. The man knew how to setup a run game in the AFC North, we'd be the monsters everybody would be looking up at in the division. It would be old school football and all of you would love it.

    The fuckups with both Butch Davis and Mangini was allowing/requiring them to each be the GM as well as HC. They weren't suited for those duties or that much pressure......they should have been left to coach. That....and never having a QB.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    and stop the mangini hate...we'd be in year 5 of his rule right now with probably at least 2 playoff appearances. The man knew how to setup a run game in the AFC North, we'd be the monsters everybody would be looking up at in the division. It would be old school football and all of you would love it.

    The fuckups with both Butch Davis and Mangini was allowing/requiring them to each be the GM as well as HC. They weren't suited for those duties or that much pressure......they should have been left to coach. That....and never having a QB.

    @the-gipper said:

    The fuckups with both Butch Davis and Mangini was allowing/requiring them to each be the GM as well as HC. They weren't suited for those duties or that much pressure......they should have been left to coach. That....and never having a QB.

    it has always seemed to me that if there is a solid scouting team in place then the head coach should have an inside track on the general manager job. He should have a damn good idea of what players he wants to work with.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    The fuckups with both Butch Davis and Mangini was allowing/requiring them to each be the GM as well as HC. They weren't suited for those duties or that much pressure......they should have been left to coach. That....and never having a QB.

    it has always seemed to me that if there is a solid scouting team in place then the head coach should have an inside track on the general manager job. He should have a damn good idea of what players he wants to work with.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    it has always seemed to me that if there is a solid scouting team in place then the head coach should have an inside track on the general manager job. He should have a damn good idea of what players he wants to work with.

    WSS

    That may be good with a truly experienced, proven HC......like Parcells was, or BB.....but not these newish HCs like Butch and Mangini.

  • So? How are the Browns doing with this Equilibrium thing? Here is a current breakdown:

    Lose Hoyer.....replaced by Josh McCown.....probably a wash imo (or a slight minus in yours?)

    Losing Thigpen....replaced by Thad Lewis.....probably a slight plus

    Lose Skrine....replaced by Tramon Williams....all around considered a big plus

    Probably losing Rubin.....replaced by Starks....considered a slight plus

    Probably losing Austin Miles.....replaced by Dwayne Bowe.....considered a plus

    Probably losing Sione Fua....no direct replacement....But others on roster plus rookies can more than make up for 3rd stringer..wash

    Lost Paul McQuistan....no direct replacement....but same as above....wash

    Lost Jim Leonhard...no direct replacement....but also others on roster can replace talent....but veteran leadership loss means a slight minus here.

    Lost Jordan Cameron.....no replacement yet. Losing out on Clay means this is a large negative so far.

    Lost Jabaal Sheard....no replacement yet. Large negative so far.

    Signed Hartline....he is not directly replacing anyone (unless you count him and not Bowe as the replacement for Austin). So no matter, losing one veteran WR and replacing him with 2, both of whom may be considered better than him is a big plus. Though, since Hartline is a possession receiver, perhaps he can fill some of Cameron's shoes.

    Overall assessment:

    Offensive Skill positions....QB/WR/TE....call it about an equal deal....or slightly less....Do two WRs replace a WR and TE. Not exactly IMO. Cameron's skill not completely adequately replaced.

    Offensive Line....No real loss suffered at all. Wash

    Defensive Backfield...Upgraded.

    Defensive Line....Slightly upgraded (I put Sheard in the LB corps)

    Linebackers....Loss of Sheard, not replaced....Downgraded.

  • @nickers said:

    I'm pissed off because were going back to the Mangina way of doing things like, Signing aged veterans.. This basically guarantees we wont be in the hunt anytime soon, and we''ll be another losing facsimile I.E. "The Mangina Way" wich is the loser way.

    what the hell are you talking about? This was a somewhat intelligent conversation until you showed up...

    @thenew23 said:

    what the hell are you talking about? This was a somewhat intelligent conversation until you showed up...

    LOL Intelligent?... And you dont know what I'm talking about.. Got it...