Skip to content

Pass rusher at #12

The Browns Board
84 20 3.5k
  • Personally I am pretty sure we are now going pass rusher at #12. Shelton will be gone (probably Chicago).

    Randy Gregory and Dante Fowler will be gone but I'd love Shane Ray to fall to us, he is a warrior and exactly what they want "play like a Brown" to mean.

    @londonbrown said:

    Personally I am pretty sure we are now going pass rusher at #12. Shelton will be gone (probably Chicago).

    Randy Gregory and Dante Fowler will be gone but I'd love Shane Ray to fall to us, he is a warrior and exactly what they want "play like a Brown" to mean.

    If any of these GM's listen to their scouts, then Ray would be the first edge rusher off the board. I can only pray we stay away from Gregory and Fowler.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Personally I am pretty sure we are now going pass rusher at #12. Shelton will be gone (probably Chicago).

    Randy Gregory and Dante Fowler will be gone but I'd love Shane Ray to fall to us, he is a warrior and exactly what they want "play like a Brown" to mean.

    If any of these GM's listen to their scouts, then Ray would be the first edge rusher off the board. I can only pray we stay away from Gregory and Fowler.

    @tiamat63 said:

    If any of these GM's listen to their scouts, then Ray would be the first edge rusher off the board. I can only pray we stay away from Gregory and Fowler.

    Interesting, why don't you like those guys?

  • I'd take Beasley, Ray, Fowler, and Dupree over Gregory any day. The long and lean pass rusher has too high of bust potential for my liking.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    If any of these GM's listen to their scouts, then Ray would be the first edge rusher off the board. I can only pray we stay away from Gregory and Fowler.

    Interesting, why don't you like those guys?

    @londonbrown said:

    Interesting, why don't you like those guys?

    Gregory I've had the chance to watch being he's in the B1G and that when the Bucks game is over, I usually turn in to watch NFL prospects on other teams.

    Fowler I've come across when looking for Beasley. It's funny its being brought up because I have today off and I'm watching his tape against Florida State right now as my 2nd look.

    Both are quite average against the run. Gregory doesn't have strength to hold the point or provide any push on a stunt.

    Lacks a secondary pass rush move and arrives at the QB or ball carrier too high and not under control quite often.

    Fowler: I like his first step but he doesn't have the ability to bend and get around the corner... if he does, its not something he does much of which is concerning. He prefers to attack the inside shoulder which will get him stood up quite a bit and he to, attacks high and doesn't always get under pads. Strange considering how much Florida used him as an A gap Blitzer. Hand usage is good to prevent being cut but from what I can tell, his sack numbers are from having a B line to the QB such as the designed A gap blitz. Decent pressure, but rarely can finish.

  • Thanks for that , what do you have to say on Ray? From the little I've seen/read, I would love to get him.

  • Thanks for that , what do you have to say on Ray? From the little I've seen/read, I would love to get him.

    @londonbrown said:

    Thanks for that , what do you have to say on Ray? From the little I've seen/read, I would love to get him.

    He's not without his flaws. Compared to Fowler and Gregory though he has not that many. Overall my favorite pass rusher in the draft.

  • Beasley seems like more of the fit for our scheme. I"m not big anymore on taking college DE's and trying to convert them. If they never spent any time standing than they're not gonna work in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB'er as a general rule. I'd prefer guys who spent time standing and with their hand down. Beasley to me is that freakish guy that the Steelers always covet that can play the will or the jack. Kruger is a pure Jack. He needs a backup at that position, maybe armonty, but with the 12 pick we should take the stud who could do both.

  • I know we've talked about this before and it's of course not gonna happen..."but", if we decided to run some 4-3 looks we could have armonty and kruger as the ends and a LB'ing corp consisting of Dansby, Mingo, Beasley, Robertson and Kirksey. Mingo and Beasley would be beast blitzing 4-3 OLB'ers like how Denver uses Von Miller and Oak uses Mack. Especially Beasley as I think he can take straighter lines to the QB than Mingo.

  • Beasley won't make it out of the top five.

  • How different, given their combine performances, are Beasely and Bud Dupree?

    I was athinkin that Dupree may be a star in the pros, too.

  • How different, given their combine performances, are Beasely and Bud Dupree?

    I was athinkin that Dupree may be a star in the pros, too.

    @calfoxwc said:

    How different, given their combine performances, are Beasely and Bud Dupree?

    I was athinkin that Dupree may be a star in the pros, too.

    Beasley is far more athletic in space, able to consistently get around the corner yet has some strength and a counter move.

    Dupree relies heavily on a consistent bull rush and his abilities as a player are about as maxed as they'll get.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    How different, given their combine performances, are Beasely and Bud Dupree?

    I was athinkin that Dupree may be a star in the pros, too.

    Beasley is far more athletic in space, able to consistently get around the corner yet has some strength and a counter move.

    Dupree relies heavily on a consistent bull rush and his abilities as a player are about as maxed as they'll get.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Beasley is far more athletic in space, able to consistently get around the corner yet has some strength and a counter move.

    Do we really know this? Only ask as we have not seen him play with the added weight.

  • Beasley won't make it out of the top five.

    @tour2ma said:

    Beasley won't make it out of the top five.

    you think he goes higher than Shelton? You might be right I dunno. It could possibly be worth trading both our picks to take either one of those guys. I'd be ok with that.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Beasley is far more athletic in space, able to consistently get around the corner yet has some strength and a counter move.

    Do we really know this? Only ask as we have not seen him play with the added weight.

    @tour2ma said:

    Do we really know this? Only ask as we have not seen him play with the added weight.

    I'd think the scouts raving that he's maintained his speed during the drills and combine showing leans towards a yes.

    If he showed signs of visibly being slower then I would have some serious concern. Weight aside, having a counter pass rush move that Dupree simply lacks still stands.

  • If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

  • If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

    @opal312 said:

    If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

    Why does it make sense to draft him over other players?

  • If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

    @opal312 said:

    If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

    I'm not following your logic.

    I also do not see what many of you guys see in Maxx. He's a poor, poor man's Jason Witten, and unless you're a transcendent once-in-a-lifetime TE like Gronkowski—who, oddly enough, wasn't even drafted in the first round—i'd stay away from drafting one in the first round. We have much more pressing needs.

  • TE position takes too long to learn to spend a first rounder on IMO, we need immediate contributors in R1.

  • @opal312 said:

    If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

    I'm not following your logic.

    I also do not see what many of you guys see in Maxx. He's a poor, poor man's Jason Witten, and unless you're a transcendent once-in-a-lifetime TE like Gronkowski—who, oddly enough, wasn't even drafted in the first round—i'd stay away from drafting one in the first round. We have much more pressing needs.

    @secondwave said:

    I also do not see what many of you guys see in Maxx.

    Agree... folks are overreacting to Cam's departure.

    That and there's that clip of Maxx hurdling a player. Best I can guess is it awoke a longing for Peyton Hillis' return...

  • Unfortunately I think the franchise is still in the "Best Available Talent" with the one exception of cornerback/safety.