Skip to content

Jaws: Sources saying Mariota will go #1 to Tampa

The Browns Board
64 20 2.5k
  • Well Winston scored 27 on the Wonderlic. And people were firm in their belief that he was Vince Young-level dumb.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @wargograw said:

    Well Winston scored 27 on the Wonderlic. And people were firm in their belief that he was Vince Young-level dumb.

    He also had a 4.0 GPA in high school. That said, he makes a ton of piss poor decisions on and off the field. He threw 18 INTs last season on one of the best teams in the country.

    Speaking of QB and the Wonderlic - here's a look back at 2014 :

    Albert Breer of the NFL Network reported the Wonderlic scores of three of the top quarterback prospects and Manziel, at 32, was the leader, with Central Florida’s Blake Bortles at 28 and Teddy Twatwater at 20. (Cornell’s Jeff Mathews scored highest of any QB in the draft, with a 40.)

    Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    Manziel's Wonderlic score of 32 wasn't the highest of any QB at this year's combine, however. Cornell QB Jeff Matthews scored a 40.
  • @wargograw said:

    Well Winston scored 27 on the Wonderlic. And people were firm in their belief that he was Vince Young-level dumb.

    He also had a 4.0 GPA in high school. That said, he makes a ton of piss poor decisions on and off the field. He threw 18 INTs last season on one of the best teams in the country.

    Speaking of QB and the Wonderlic - here's a look back at 2014 :

    Albert Breer of the NFL Network reported the Wonderlic scores of three of the top quarterback prospects and Manziel, at 32, was the leader, with Central Florida’s Blake Bortles at 28 and Teddy Twatwater at 20. (Cornell’s Jeff Mathews scored highest of any QB in the draft, with a 40.)

    Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
    Manziel's Wonderlic score of 32 wasn't the highest of any QB at this year's combine, however. Cornell QB Jeff Matthews scored a 40.
    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @flugel said:

    He also had a 4.0 GPA in high school.

    that's hilarious! who was his football coach, bill belicheat?

    what was his major in college? minority studies?

    habadeebadabba

    Mushmouth.jpg

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #49

    I watched the Gruden QB camp with Mariota and Winston last night and gotta say that Mariota was a total dud....he seemed so low key he was almost asleep.....

    not sure how that translates to the NFL, but for me, it seemed like he had zero fire in his belly....not a drop....ho hum....

  • @flugel said:

    He also had a 4.0 GPA in high school.

    that's hilarious! who was his football coach, bill belicheat?

    what was his major in college? minority studies?

    habadeebadabba

    Mushmouth.jpg

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #50

    @miktoxic said:

    that's hilarious! who was his football coach, bill belicheat?

    what was his major in college? minority studies?

    habadeebadabba

    LOL! God only knows man. The use of Bill Cosby's creation in this discussion is genius on your part considering the irony.

    As I said, the GPA doesn't carry over to the decision making on and off the field. Here's a little Wikipedia about the knucklehead:

    Sexual assault allegation

    In November 2013, State Attorney Willie Meggs of the Second Judicial Circuit opened an investigation into an allegation that Winston had sexually assaulted a classmate the previous year. The initial complaint had been filed with the Tallahassee Police Department (TPD) on December 7, 2012.;[31] the TPD had classified the case as open/inactive in February 2013.[32][33][34] On December 5, 2013, Meggs announced the completion of the investigation, filing no charges. He stated: "As prosecutors, we only bring charges for cases where the evidence will result in a likely conviction at trial. In this case, the evidence does not show that."[35]

    The New York Times published the conclusions of its own investigation in April 2014, asserting that neither the TPD nor FSU had genuinely investigated the initial report. Though a medical examination of the victim revealed bruised knees and semen on the woman's body – and the victim would identify Winston by name as her attacker a month later, Tallahassee police reportedly never obtained a DNA sample from Winston, never interviewed him, nor attempted to obtain video of the encounter taken by Seminoles teammate Chris Casher. The investigation was conducted by Officer Scott Angulo, who, the Times '​ article notes, did private security work for the Seminole Boosters, the primary financier of Florida State athletics.[36]

    The official FSU hearing, presided over by retired Florida Supreme Court Justice Major B. Harding, on December 21, 2014, cleared Winston of violating the student conduct code in the sexual assault allegation.[37][38] An extract from the Harding's Decision[39] is below.

    I do not find the credibility of one story substantially stronger than that of the other. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I cannot find with any confidence that the events as set forth by you, (accuser), or a particular combination thereof is more probable than not as required to find you responsible for a violation of the Code. Therein lies the determinative factor of my decision.

    Gun Complaint

    In 2012, Winston and another FSU player were held by campus police for allegedly bringing a BB gun on campus and firing at squirrels. Officers handcuffed Winston but he was later released when it was noticed he was not on campus and the gun was just a BB gun. No charges were filed against Winston in this incident.[40]

    Shoplifting incidents

    In July 2013, a Burger King employee called police in July to complain that Winston was stealing soda. According to the police report, Winston came in to the restaurant with three men, but did not order any food. An employee, who recognized him, first saw him using ketchup cups to take some soda. He asked for a water cup after she told him to stop, but he said he would use it for soda and filled it repeatedly with soda over her objections, the report said.[41] On April 29, 2014, Winston was issued an adult civil citation for shoplifting crab legs from a Tallahassee Publix store.[42] Winston was ordered to undergo 20 hours of community service and was suspended from any college baseball activity until he completed his community service.

    Vulgar comments

    On September 17, 2014, Winston was suspended for the first half of Florida State's upcoming game against Clemson. The Guardian reported that "several students tweeted" that Winston shouted, "Fuck her right in the pussy!" an Internet meme,[43] while standing atop a table in Florida State University's Student Union.[44] Two days later, university president Garnett S. Stokes and athletic director Stan Wilcox, citing results of an "ongoing investigation", announced that Winston would be suspended for the whole game.[45]

  • I watched the Gruden QB camp with Mariota and Winston last night and gotta say that Mariota was a total dud....he seemed so low key he was almost asleep.....

    not sure how that translates to the NFL, but for me, it seemed like he had zero fire in his belly....not a drop....ho hum....

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @mudfly said:

    I watched the Gruden QB camp with Mariota and Winston last night and gotta say that Mariota was a total dud....he seemed so low key he was almost asleep.....

    not sure how that translates to the NFL, but for me, it seemed like he had zero fire in his belly....not a drop....ho hum....

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #52

    i wouldn't call mariota a dud. i saw the gruden camp thing and all i'd say is people are wired different. i just saw a humble, gracious and well mannered kid.

    did fine on the field and on the chalk board. gruden can't expect every QB he does this on to be jumping out of his coffee cup like he is.

  • You just set yourself up for Burfict again. It's just too easy.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @wargograw said:

    You just set yourself up for Burfict again. It's just too easy.

    And for every Burfict- well, I can give your maybe 5 Lawrence Phillips.

  • @mudfly said:

    I watched the Gruden QB camp with Mariota and Winston last night and gotta say that Mariota was a total dud....he seemed so low key he was almost asleep.....

    not sure how that translates to the NFL, but for me, it seemed like he had zero fire in his belly....not a drop....ho hum....

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @tour2ma said:

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

    If we go QB he is my favorite choice.. Bills are high on this Kid also. 2nd round sounds right now, after pick 12 its going to get wild on the board.

  • @mudfly said:

    I watched the Gruden QB camp with Mariota and Winston last night and gotta say that Mariota was a total dud....he seemed so low key he was almost asleep.....

    not sure how that translates to the NFL, but for me, it seemed like he had zero fire in his belly....not a drop....ho hum....

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @tour2ma said:

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

    Yes....and Im completely 100% on board with picking Petty......Id say, right now, he is my favorite for the Brownies...........

    @miktoxic said:

    i wouldn't call mariota a dud. i saw the gruden camp thing and all i'd say is people are wired different. i just saw a humble, gracious and well mannered kid.

    did fine on the field and on the chalk board. gruden can't expect every QB he does this on to be jumping out of his coffee cup like he is.

    He seemed humble, gracious, intelligent, etc.....looks like a great guy....probably would let him date my daughter

    but, yes, he's wired differently........just not wired the way I'd expect a strong leader of men to be wired...thats all.....

    seems like a "good soldier".....just not a general.........

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #56

    If the Browns trade up for either of these two clowns rather than build the team inside out, then GM needs a new home and a Wonderlic retest.

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/erica-kinsman-sues-nfl-prospect-jameis-winston/2225851

  • @mudfly said:

    I watched the Gruden QB camp with Mariota and Winston last night and gotta say that Mariota was a total dud....he seemed so low key he was almost asleep.....

    not sure how that translates to the NFL, but for me, it seemed like he had zero fire in his belly....not a drop....ho hum....

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #57

    @tour2ma said:

    I haven't watched the "Big 2" w/ Chuckie yet...

    Did you catch Petty's? Showed some rough edges, but also a ton of personality wrapped around confidence and love of the game. I really like him in the 3rd, but have a feeling he goes in the second. If we trade down a first, I'd spend a 2nd on him.

    Didn't see that one, but did catch Petty's interview on ESPN radio with Freddie Coleman. He sure sounds impressive enough- has the desire, and said all the right things.

  • If the Browns trade up for either of these two clowns rather than build the team inside out, then GM needs a new home and a Wonderlic retest.

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/erica-kinsman-sues-nfl-prospect-jameis-winston/2225851

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #58

    @texasag1969 said:

    If the Browns trade up for either of these two clowns rather than build the team inside out, then GM needs a new home and a Wonderlic retest.

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/erica-kinsman-sues-nfl-prospect-jameis-winston/2225851

    I agree Ag- to move up high enough to get either one, it will cost both of this year's firsts, plus next years. Not worth it. I'd rather stick with Johnny Rehab this year to see if he's turned a new leaf- and if he flops, go qb shopping next year. Hmmm the Steelers followed that exact scenario when they took Rothlisberger last- when everything else was in place.

    "Crabby" Jameis is smiling away- like nothing ever happened in college. I've said all along Mariota is just a bigger version of Johnny Football with the same question marks- minus the off-field issues.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    If the Browns trade up for either of these two clowns rather than build the team inside out, then GM needs a new home and a Wonderlic retest.

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/erica-kinsman-sues-nfl-prospect-jameis-winston/2225851

    I agree Ag- to move up high enough to get either one, it will cost both of this year's firsts, plus next years. Not worth it. I'd rather stick with Johnny Rehab this year to see if he's turned a new leaf- and if he flops, go qb shopping next year. Hmmm the Steelers followed that exact scenario when they took Rothlisberger last- when everything else was in place.

    "Crabby" Jameis is smiling away- like nothing ever happened in college. I've said all along Mariota is just a bigger version of Johnny Football with the same question marks- minus the off-field issues.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @hoorta said:

    I agree Ag- to move up high enough to get either one, it will cost both of this year's firsts, plus next years. Not worth it. I'd rather stick with Johnny Rehab this year to see if he's turned a new leaf- and if he flops, go qb shopping next year. Hmmm the Steelers followed that exact scenario when they took Rothlisberger last- when everything else was in place.

    "Crabby" Jameis is smiling away- like nothing ever happened in college. I've said all along Mariota is just a bigger version of Johnny Football with the same question marks- minus the off-field issues.

    Or go with Hundley in round 3.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #60

    While I'm not as impressed on tape as Tour is with Petty (is footwork does sharpen up quite a bit in some instances, but its his eyes and head that worry me) the gleam he gets when talking about the QB position. That's a natural leader I'd be willing to follow. You might be surprised how much that means in a huddle.

  • While I'm not as impressed on tape as Tour is with Petty (is footwork does sharpen up quite a bit in some instances, but its his eyes and head that worry me) the gleam he gets when talking about the QB position. That's a natural leader I'd be willing to follow. You might be surprised how much that means in a huddle.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @tiamat63 said:

    While I'm not as impressed on tape as Tour is with Petty (is footwork does sharpen up quite a bit in some instances, but its his eyes and head that worry me) the gleam he gets when talking about the QB position. That's a natural leader I'd be willing to follow. You might be surprised how much that means in a huddle.

    Well said. It means a ton Tia.

    I get the impression a lot of concerns people have with him can be corrected via coaching and experience. He's an intriguing prospect; but there needs to be an element of patience early on. That's the thing about the QB position and this draft. I'm worried about us reaching for him with our 19th pick when we can prolly snag him in round 2 or so. The last time we drafted a Big 12 QB in round 1 (Weeden) - we swung from our ass and missed while bargains like Russell Wilson and Nick Foles landed on other teams' door steps.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #62

    is there really that much of a difference between grayson, petty and hundley?

    as far as confidence and being able to lead a team i think they all have that.

    check one.

    the physicality of each, aren't the pretty much the same size with grayson being the smaller of the 3?

    now the athletic ability is where there might be a difference but it would depend on what the franchise that drafts these players are looking for.

    if everyone thinks that winston and mariota are the only game in town this year they are highly mistaken.

  • is there really that much of a difference between grayson, petty and hundley?

    as far as confidence and being able to lead a team i think they all have that.

    check one.

    the physicality of each, aren't the pretty much the same size with grayson being the smaller of the 3?

    now the athletic ability is where there might be a difference but it would depend on what the franchise that drafts these players are looking for.

    if everyone thinks that winston and mariota are the only game in town this year they are highly mistaken.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @miktoxic said:

    is there really that much of a difference between grayson, petty and hundley?

    as far as confidence and being able to lead a team i think they all have that.

    check one.

    the physicality of each, aren't the pretty much the same size with grayson being the smaller of the 3?

    now the athletic ability is where there might be a difference but it would depend on what the franchise that drafts these players are looking for.

    if everyone thinks that winston and mariota are the only game in town this year they are highly mistaken.

    I think Petty and Hundley both possess that leadership aspect, while Grayson may be sliiiightly more quick-minded on the field.

    I would not mind Petty in round 2, but I'd be much happier to get him in Round 3.

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #64

    I was high on MM last year and still like him over any of the others. I compare his low key boring demeanor to russell Wilson and I think he is all business like Wilson too. He should be successful at the Next level.

    But I see some value in petty in the mid rounds. 6'3 230 is a nice frame. But how quickly is he going to pick up the offense or can he is the biggest factor. But I fully expect the browns to take a look at him and trade back into the late 2nd round to land petty if they like what they see.