Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Tribe Board
  3. Spring Training Games

Spring Training Games

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Tribe Board
11 Posts 5 Posters 955 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • CIMO. C
    • 684 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    C CIMO. wrote on last edited by CIMO.
    #1

    I figured I'd start up a thread to get some discussion on the actual games. I'll try to keep it pretty up to date.

    Here's the lineup from the first game against the Giants

    CF - Sizemore

    3B - Derosa

    SS - Peralta

    C - Martinez

    1B - Garko

    LF - Francisco

    2B - Carroll

    DH - Santana

    RF - Crowe (Choo is in Hawaii with the Korean team for the World Baseball Classic)

    SP - Sowers

    Notes:

    Renteria got the first hit and scored the first run of the year. No, I still haven't gotten over it.

    Lincecum pitched one nice inning. I love watching him...kind of glad and sad we don't see him much.

    Zach Jackson the first out of the bullpen after two solid innings from Sowers. Could be our long reliever?

    On his second AB, DeRosa worked an 0-2 count to full, then hit a 3-run bomb to left. People have been raving about his work ethic, not a bad debut.

    Frank Viola was on the air, praised Lee and Fausto. Said most people don't know how good Reyes is, mentioned his changeup. Complimented Sowers and Jackson and called Huff a sleeper for later in the year.

    Mujica got shelled. Leadoff walk, moved runner, 2-run shot from Ishikawa, single, fixated on the runner on first (who ended up stealing), 2-run shot, fly out to the warning track, ground ball to end the inning.

    Ellis Burks likes everything about Michael Brantley.

    Stephen Head had a pretty good bomb to right in the 7th inning. I'd never heard of him before, here's Lastoria's write up. http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2009...34-stephen.html

    LaPorta made a pretty good play in left to save a run. Could be better out there than I assumed.

    Matt Herges looked good. 1-2-3 inning in the 9th.

    LaPorta almost played hero in the bottom of the 9th. Down 3 with 2 men on, had the count at 3-0 and flied out to the warning track.

    And that's about it. Hopefully I find a way to catch today's game against the Diamondbacks. Feel free to keep the discussion going.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • CIMO. C
      • 684 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      C CIMO. wrote on last edited by
      #2

      The lineup for today

      CF - Sizemore

      3B - DeRosa

      C - Shoppach

      1B - Mills

      LF - LaPorta

      RF - Head

      2B - Cabrera

      SS - Merchan

      DH - Espino

      SP - Laffey

      notes:

      Couldn't turn it on until the 4th inning. So I'll start from there.

      Laffey went 2 innings, gave up 2 hits, 1 K, 1 BB, 1 unearned run.

      Lewis relieved him, no hits, 1 walk. Rundles followed, 1 inning, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned.

      LaPorta homered off Dan Haren in the 2nd.

      I guess I turned it on at the right time. Tribe scores 3 runs in the 4th. Head, Cabrera, Merchan, Espino, Sizemore with the rally.

      LaPorta with another good play in left. Catching a fly against the wall.

      Jack Cassel got roughed up. Hopefully the Patriots talk (he's Matt's brother) stays to a minimum.

      LaPorta with a deep bloop single, but stretches it into 2.

      DeRosa said he's really impressed with Choo. Loves his power.

      Barfield is in Center Field. With Wedge wanting to rest Sizemore more this year and Gutz in Seattle, there aren't any pure CFs in waiting anymore. This will be interesting. Might help Crowe's case for some time in Cleveland.

      Tomo Ohka gets shelled. One inning, 7 hits, 6 runs, 2 earned.

      Jordan Brown looks like he's had 3 errors at first. Doesn't look very cool out there.

      Merchan looks pretty good at short.

      It's pretty painful watching these minor league bullpens try to finish games. Can't wait for the days of Perez-Lewis-Wood.

      Final score Diamondbacks 15, Indians 9.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
        • 1k Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I liked Laffey today. He was solid.

        While I absolutely love his attitude, I've never been a huge Laffey fan. But he sure looked in command today.

        LaPorta is not far away. I'm not sure he wouldn't be a better option than BF in left field right now. He's just a good ballplayer.

        If he continues to play this way I don't think the Tribe can keep him down.

        Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • CIMO. C
          • 684 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          C CIMO. wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Agreed on LaPorta. He looks like a real pro at the plate, and he's been pretty good in left. I still don't see anyone but Francisco in left on opening day, but that could be a short leash if LaPorta keeps this up.

          Santana looks like he's ready for the big leagues too. Miniscule sample I know, but I like him in the box.

          It's going to be a lot of fun watching those two and Brantley. Hopefully Huff and Miller get some innings soon.

          Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • C CIMO.

            Agreed on LaPorta. He looks like a real pro at the plate, and he's been pretty good in left. I still don't see anyone but Francisco in left on opening day, but that could be a short leash if LaPorta keeps this up.

            Santana looks like he's ready for the big leagues too. Miniscule sample I know, but I like him in the box.

            It's going to be a lot of fun watching those two and Brantley. Hopefully Huff and Miller get some innings soon.

            Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
            • 1k Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @cimo. said:

            Agreed on LaPorta. He looks like a real pro at the plate, and he's been pretty good in left. I still don't see anyone but Francisco in left on opening day, but that could be a short leash if LaPorta keeps this up.

            Santana looks like he's ready for the big leagues too. Miniscule sample I know, but I like him in the box.

            It's going to be a lot of fun watching those two and Brantley. Hopefully Huff and Miller get some innings soon.

            Maybe it's just me, but I think Santana looks like a small version of Big Pappy at the plate.....His stance is so similiar!

            It's easy to see this kid is special. When he swings the bat it explodes. I also loved his ability to work the count. He showed more discipline than most of the major league hitters in those back to back walks on Thursday.

            I think you are right....He could be playing for some teams right now. What a wonderful problem to have!

            I'm looking forward to seeing Huff. During the interviews with various coaches, I've heard his name mentioned as much or more than anyone. The Indians are really high on this kid.

            I know Ben will probably be startng in left, but I'd love to see LaPorta hit so well that it makes a tough decision for them.

            As important as his bat is, that play in left field Friday is going to go a long way in his getting to the Indians quickly.

            I'm sure Wedge loved seeing him make that play.

            Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 9k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
              #6

              If it was me, unless LaPorta has a bad spring, I would keep him on the team and start him day one in left and let that be that.

              I just I just don't see Ben Francisco being more than a bench guy.

              Playing LaPorta wouldn't weaken the team any more than it is with Francisco, and will pay dividends as the season progresses.

              If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Beanpot B
                • 704 Posts
                • 7 Reputation
                B Beanpot wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Thanks so much for posting this, CIMO. I was on the road and missed much of the games and your words were a thing of beauty. Play-effing-ball.

                Beanpot

                J 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • B Beanpot

                  Thanks so much for posting this, CIMO. I was on the road and missed much of the games and your words were a thing of beauty. Play-effing-ball.

                  Beanpot

                  JohnG71097 J One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 187 Posts
                  • 5 Reputation
                  J JohnG71097 wrote on last edited by JohnG71097
                  #8

                  @beanpot said:

                  Thanks so much for posting this, CIMO. I was on the road and missed much of the games and your words were a thing of beauty. Play-effing-ball.

                  Beanpot

                  I hate to be a wet blanket.........

                  It's nice to see actual games going on. baseball being played in the during the day, reminds us in NE Ohio and elsewhere that Spring isn't actually all that very far away.

                  Keep in mind that Hitters are ahead of Pitchers this time of year in camp

                  And Camp is actually a week longer this year because of the WBC.

                  Because of the higher elevation, baseballs are also going to fly out of Goodyear a lot easier

                  If Laporta is still mashing 3 weeks down the road he would have an outside chance at making the ballclub if an injury occured, otherwise he starts the Year in AAA and gets comfortable there

                  Santana hasn't played but 2 games at the AA level, That's where he begins his year, AA Akron

                  He doesn't even begin to smell MLB pitching on a rugular basis until probably 2011

                  But keep on raking you guys, it's nice to talk about something positive in Cleveland Sports for a change

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • CIMO. C
                    • 684 Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    C CIMO. wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Yeah, I know Santana won't be in Cleveland any time in 2009 barring emergency. He's definitely on the fast track though. And like I said, Francisco will start off in Left, but if LaPorta keeps up his play at the plate and in left.....and Francisco struggles? It will lead to an interesting decision.

                    I missed today's game unfortunately, hopefully I get time to watch it tomorrow. Heard Victor hit two bombs, not a bad start.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • CIMO. C
                      • 684 Posts
                      • 0 Reputation
                      C CIMO. wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I haven't even been able to catch the highlights of the last three games, so anyone who watched them can let us know of anything interesting.

                      Just from checking the box scores....

                      Fausto goes two innings, two hits, a strikeout, no walks, no runs....in his first spring training start.

                      Huff goes two innings, 4 hits, a strikeout, a walk, a homer and two runs.

                      Pavano with two perfect innings, no strikeouts.

                      Scott Lewis, two scoreless innings, two strikeouts, one walk.

                      Sowers now has 4 innings, 7 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 2 K's.

                      For the bullpen...

                      Jensen Lewis now has 2 innings, no runs, no hits, 1 walk, 1 K.

                      Perez has 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 run, 3 K's.

                      Betancourt with 1 perfect inning, 1 K.

                      Kobayashi 1 inning, 2 hits, 3 K's.

                      Mujica has 2 innings, 2 losses, 5 hits, 2 homers, 5 earned runs.

                      Notable batters...

                      Peralta homers today. Now batting .500

                      LaPorta and Sizemore also batting .500

                      Shoppach still hitless on 5 ABs with 3 K's.

                      Garko has 1 hit in 7 ABs.

                      Aubrey, DeRosa, LaPorta, Head, Peralta, Francisco all with 1 HR. Victor with 2.

                      Still hoping to be able to get back to watching these games.

                      Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • C CIMO.

                        I haven't even been able to catch the highlights of the last three games, so anyone who watched them can let us know of anything interesting.

                        Just from checking the box scores....

                        Fausto goes two innings, two hits, a strikeout, no walks, no runs....in his first spring training start.

                        Huff goes two innings, 4 hits, a strikeout, a walk, a homer and two runs.

                        Pavano with two perfect innings, no strikeouts.

                        Scott Lewis, two scoreless innings, two strikeouts, one walk.

                        Sowers now has 4 innings, 7 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 2 K's.

                        For the bullpen...

                        Jensen Lewis now has 2 innings, no runs, no hits, 1 walk, 1 K.

                        Perez has 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 run, 3 K's.

                        Betancourt with 1 perfect inning, 1 K.

                        Kobayashi 1 inning, 2 hits, 3 K's.

                        Mujica has 2 innings, 2 losses, 5 hits, 2 homers, 5 earned runs.

                        Notable batters...

                        Peralta homers today. Now batting .500

                        LaPorta and Sizemore also batting .500

                        Shoppach still hitless on 5 ABs with 3 K's.

                        Garko has 1 hit in 7 ABs.

                        Aubrey, DeRosa, LaPorta, Head, Peralta, Francisco all with 1 HR. Victor with 2.

                        Still hoping to be able to get back to watching these games.

                        Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                        • 1k Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @cimo. said:

                        I haven't even been able to catch the highlights of the last three games, so anyone who watched them can let us know of anything interesting.

                        Just from checking the box scores....

                        Fausto goes two innings, two hits, a strikeout, no walks, no runs....in his first spring training start.

                        Huff goes two innings, 4 hits, a strikeout, a walk, a homer and two runs.

                        Pavano with two perfect innings, no strikeouts.

                        Scott Lewis, two scoreless innings, two strikeouts, one walk.

                        Sowers now has 4 innings, 7 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 2 K's.

                        For the bullpen...

                        Jensen Lewis now has 2 innings, no runs, no hits, 1 walk, 1 K.

                        Perez has 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 run, 3 K's.

                        Betancourt with 1 perfect inning, 1 K.

                        Kobayashi 1 inning, 2 hits, 3 K's.

                        Mujica has 2 innings, 2 losses, 5 hits, 2 homers, 5 earned runs.

                        Still hoping to be able to get back to watching these games.

                        Huff looked really bad. I was surprised because I've heard more praise of him than any of the young arms. Everything he threw was up in the strike zone. Even the outs were blasts.

                        Carmona's appearance was obvioulsy a warm up appearance. I don't think he threw more than a couple sinkers. It was almost all fastballs. His velocity looked great. Looked like he was hitting his spots.

                        Mujica is....Well, no other way to put it....Worthless.

                        I love Scott Lewis. If he continues to pitch like this I really don't know how they keep him off the opening day roster. The kid has done nothing but pitch well since the call up last year. I think he and Laffey both have to be there.

                        Carmona

                        Lee

                        Pavano

                        Laffey

                        Lewis

                        Allow Reyes to continue coming back slowly in Columbus.

                        Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        Reply
                        • Reply as topic
                        Log in to reply
                        • Oldest to Newest
                        • Newest to Oldest
                        • Most Votes


                        Theme
                        • System
                        • Light
                        • Dark
                        The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                        The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                        • First post
                          Last post
                        0
                        • Forums
                        • Recent
                        • Popular
                        • Users
                        • Donate