Skip to content

WINSLOW TRADED!!

The Browns Board
316 76 18.8k
  • @brownskidd said:

    So what's usually available in the 5th round besides Waterboys and Cheerleaders?

    32 players who were drafted ahead of Tom Brady?

    @thaak said:

    32 players who were drafted ahead of Tom Brady?

    LOL! That's a classic Thaak! Thank you!

    - Tom F.

  • At this moment I am with your thinking Solon and I would sing Houdmazahdeh if possible for a fair price

  • @flugel said:

    Good point!

    BUT check this out from our TEs that game:

    S. Heiden 5 rec 59 yds

    D. Dinkins 1 rec 22 yds 1 TD

    That didn't make Edwards have a bad night as he had 5 rec 154 Yds 1 TD

    Now look at how well we ran the ball vrs a playoff team when we had better blockign on the edge:

    Cleveland Rush Yds Avg TD

    J. Lewis 21 88 4.2 1

    J. Harrison 2 41 20.5 0

    J. Cribbs 1 12 12.0 0

    J. Wright 1 3 3.0 0

    L. Vickers 1 2 2.0 0

    There's 146 yards on the Giants and we couldn't do that vrs BAD teams when Winslow played this last season.

    - Tom F.

    Coudln't do it against bad teams w/o Winslon either this past season. I just don't draw a lot from Winslow being out in that game a reason for good play.

    Masters said:

    Coudln't do it against bad teams w/o Winslon either this past season. I just don't draw a lot from Winslow being out in that game a reason for good play.

    Obviously that wasn't the ONLY reason Masters BUT our offense was so far less predictable. I think we're on the same page with that statement. When Winslow is out there, he's not very good if we have to run off tackle or run wide. That has never been his game and after all the injuries - it's even less his game. As he admits, he patterned his style of play after Jeremy Shockey. I heard that in one of his interviews and found the parallels undeniable.

    And in the absence of Shockey in NY - they had TWO 1000 yard rushers in 2008 after they went unbeaten in the previous post season (without Shockey again).

    Brian B of Balt always says Shannon Sharpe's blocking was underrated as he said on ESPN Radio don't forget he was there the season Lewis rushed for 2000 yards.

    As I said, I appreciated Winslow when he was here BUT the wear and tear made this move brilliant because he's a fraction of the player he WOULD have been barring surgery #1, #2, #3 and #4. Always had GREAT hands and ran good routes. The frequency of yellow flags thrown at him for pushoffs was increasing this last season. This is a perfect time to deal him.

    - Tom F.

  • The most impportant thing about this thread is it is pinned ...........like dumping a drain on the franchise requires thus

    Good riddance Kellen as useless as you ever were'

    and thank goodness maybe the browns are going beyond comatose'

    \

    WHAt a greAT MOve duMPINig thaT SLUG

  • I just lurked through a thread on the Bucs board and their reaction seems mixed. Some bummed they lost draft picks and others excited.

    Most seem to think it was a fair deal for both teams.

    We'll see...

  • AdaM said:

    We have plenty of talent at TE. The picks will def be used to sure up the roster and add depth, I think it's a good move. As long as they atleast got a 2nd / 4th.

    Great move Browns dumping the slug of uselessness Kellen Winslow JR..........GREAT DAY IN BROWNS HISTORY ridding ourselves from that slug

    and if Mangini is worth a shit...........Rogers needs to go as well..........overhyped average performer in a team that cannot play the scheme

    @rich4eagle said:

    and if Mangini is worth a shit...........Rogers needs to go as well..........overhyped average performer in a team that cannot play the scheme

    Did you watch a single Browns game last season? Rogers filled the NT roll to perfection. He can play the scheme. Now the "big baby" routine he is pulling now is a whole different story.

  • Masters said:

    Coudln't do it against bad teams w/o Winslon either this past season. I just don't draw a lot from Winslow being out in that game a reason for good play.

    Obviously that wasn't the ONLY reason Masters BUT our offense was so far less predictable. I think we're on the same page with that statement. When Winslow is out there, he's not very good if we have to run off tackle or run wide. That has never been his game and after all the injuries - it's even less his game. As he admits, he patterned his style of play after Jeremy Shockey. I heard that in one of his interviews and found the parallels undeniable.

    And in the absence of Shockey in NY - they had TWO 1000 yard rushers in 2008 after they went unbeaten in the previous post season (without Shockey again).

    Brian B of Balt always says Shannon Sharpe's blocking was underrated as he said on ESPN Radio don't forget he was there the season Lewis rushed for 2000 yards.

    As I said, I appreciated Winslow when he was here BUT the wear and tear made this move brilliant because he's a fraction of the player he WOULD have been barring surgery #1, #2, #3 and #4. Always had GREAT hands and ran good routes. The frequency of yellow flags thrown at him for pushoffs was increasing this last season. This is a perfect time to deal him.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    Obviously that wasn't the ONLY reason Masters BUT our offense was so far less predictable. I think we're on the same page with that statement. When Winslow is out there, he's not very good if we have to run off tackle or run wide. That has never been his game and after all the injuries - it's even less his game. As he admits, he patterned his style of play after Jeremy Shockey. I heard that in one of his interviews and found the parallels undeniable.

    And in the absence of Shockey in NY - they had TWO 1000 yard rushers in 2008 after they went unbeaten in the previous post season (without Shockey again).

    Brian B of Balt always says Shannon Sharpe's blocking was underrated as he said on ESPN Radio don't forget he was there the season Lewis rushed for 2000 yards.

    As I said, I appreciated Winslow when he was here BUT the wear and tear made this move brilliant because he's a fraction of the player he WOULD have been barring surgery #1, #2, #3 and #4. Always had GREAT hands and ran good routes. The frequency of yellow flags thrown at him for pushoffs was increasing this last season. This is a perfect time to deal him.

    - Tom F.

    I agree it was far less predictable w/o Winslow. Though when they gave Harrison touches instead of Lewis w/ Winslow in, running was fine. But if CLE wants to pound the rock, it doesn't work w/ Winslow in.

    Shockey was a whole different animal. He was a problem in the locker room.

  • I see this as a lateral move. Winslow wasn't a needed piece or a missing piece for the Browns to be successful. Maybe they do something with the draft picks that will help or maybe they just get rid of a guy that is high risk due to his injuries and is not a club house guy. I'm just not that worked up over this deal.

  • Hate to see him go loved his play, (would have loved to see how good he would have been had he not been injured) loved is desire. But we were smart to get something for him. Glad we got the 2nd this year. Think at least a 4th next would have been better.

    Better to get something for him while we can rather then have him try and get his big payday from us before he finally can't take it anymore.

    I WISH WINSLOW THE BEST OF LUCK AND LIFE!

  • for you guys whining about his "shelf life" you act like winslow is kurt warner's age, the guy is 25 and has many great years to come, I am very upset that they traded him.

    @beefjerky said:

    for you guys whining about his "shelf life" you act like winslow is kurt warner's age, the guy is 25 and has many great years to come, I am very upset that they traded him.

    Warner didn't destroy his knee in a motorcycle accident- it could be worse than you think. He also doesn't have to outrun linebackers or cornerbacks on every play. Doesn't have to block them either. πŸ™‚

  • @sisky-fringo said:

    i'm fine w/ serviceable KFP. that's a compliment to a 28.75 year-old back w/ 10,000 miles on his tires.

    but recall he dropped down to 235lbs for 2008. back in the 245-250lb range he should regain '07 form.

    Jamal will be 30 in Aug and has alot of wear and tear. There have only been a handful of RB's to continually play at a high level in their 30's I think you may be the only one in the world that thinks he's going to rush for 1,300 yards have 9 TD's and a 4.4 ypc avg like in 07. Give me a break! He's a situational short yardage back at best that is not worth paying 6.5 mil to next year. So If they can't restructure his contract he needs to be released.

    I should of woke up this morning reading that we cut Lewis because he wouldn't restructure his contract rather than read that we traded one of our best players!

    BULL$HIT!

    @ithika said:

    Jamal will be 30 in Aug and has alot of wear and tear. There have only been a handful of RB's to continually play at a high level in their 30's I think you may be the only one in the world that thinks he's going to rush for 1,300 yards have 9 TD's and a 4.4 ypc avg like in 07. Give me a break! He's a situational short yardage back at best that is not worth paying 6.5 mil to next year. So If they can't restructure his contract he needs to be released.

    I should of woke up this morning reading that we cut Lewis because he wouldn't restructure his contract rather than read that we traded one of our best players!

    BULL$HIT!

    my bad, i meant 29.5 yrs.

    care to wager on JLew for '09? i put the over/under at 1,200. πŸ˜†

    obviously i'll take the over. loser.....? no $$. i'm a good sport.

    if he's traded this bet is null.

  • How much cap space was opened up with this trade ?

  • Man, lose both K2 and BE. If it happens, nobody saw that coming.

    Wonder if we'll go after a veteren WR, like Houshamazilli.

  • Man, lose both K2 and BE. If it happens, nobody saw that coming.

    Wonder if we'll go after a veteren WR, like Houshamazilli.

    @oconrecon said:

    Man, lose both K2 and BE. If it happens, nobody saw that coming.

    Wonder if we'll go after a veteren WR, like Houshamazilli.

    Isn't T.J on his way to Seattle? Or isn't that a done deal yet?

    Other than Houshmandzedah I don't think there is a lot out there via free agency. the better ones like Mcdonald or Henderson are smaller slot type WR's.

    If they trade Edwards maybe they are going after Crabtree. If you try and replace Edwards in in the second round I'd think you'd be taking a huge chance if you are planning on that player contributing a lot. I think there may only be two 2nd round WR's. Kenny Britt and Brian Robiskie. Some have Heyward-Bey going in the second round but I think he's a late 1st or very early second. I like Britt a lot but I think some have said he is a bit of a head case

    I love the fact that with 3 or 4 second round picks we could still see Connor Barwin in a Browns uniform.

  • @oconrecon said:

    Man, lose both K2 and BE. If it happens, nobody saw that coming.

    Wonder if we'll go after a veteren WR, like Houshamazilli.

    Isn't T.J on his way to Seattle? Or isn't that a done deal yet?

    Other than Houshmandzedah I don't think there is a lot out there via free agency. the better ones like Mcdonald or Henderson are smaller slot type WR's.

    If they trade Edwards maybe they are going after Crabtree. If you try and replace Edwards in in the second round I'd think you'd be taking a huge chance if you are planning on that player contributing a lot. I think there may only be two 2nd round WR's. Kenny Britt and Brian Robiskie. Some have Heyward-Bey going in the second round but I think he's a late 1st or very early second. I like Britt a lot but I think some have said he is a bit of a head case

    I love the fact that with 3 or 4 second round picks we could still see Connor Barwin in a Browns uniform.

    oldcow1945 said:

    Isn't T.J on his way to Seattle? Or isn't that a done deal yet?

    Just finished watching NFL Total Access and they ended the show with a "T.J. will land somewhere, we just don't know where" comment.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Yeah, at OBR they're getting some hints that Edwards might get moved if they can get a reasonable offer and someone who can make a reasonable extension deal with him. I can't imagine we'd get more than another second round pick. But if we did the same with Anderson, we'd have four second round picks and we could do some serious moving around with that.

    I'm not one for trying to build a team solely with 23 year olds, but you could turn a 1 and four 2s into about 7 picks in the first three rounds... and then trade away the rest of your draft. That's a serious influx of youth at the top of the draft. Then, with all the money saved by unloading Edwards, Winslow, Anderson, and Lewis, you'd have about 35 million for free agents.

    You could really pinpoint the right personnel for your scheme, that's for sure. You'd be turning over five positions on offense and probably four on defense.

    Good teams are built on drafts and Free Agency. Good draft picks down through the entire 7 rounds. It's amazing how many 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders you see on depth charts in the NFL.

    I'd love to see this team completely start over with a bunch of kids mixed in with Vet FA signings. A 1st round pick and 4 second round picks this year and you could have 1/4 of your new team built in just two rounds in one draft.

  • I for one will miss him. I think he is a good player (when healthy) and I do think he gave it his all. That being said, he could be better. Honestly he is one guy I would have liked them to keep. I feel that at this point there are a lot more people to get rid of before you toss a guy with hands like that! Then again I am not a coach. Let's wait and see what happens... that's part of the fun!

  • I was looking at K2's numbers.

    In 5 years he played 44 games and scored 11 TD's.

    I think it's amazing we got a 2nd rounder for him. I think it's an absolutely great deal for the Browns

  • Look, I've been saying it for a while now.

    The kid has a bum knee (and it's his own damn fault).

    His contract is up too soon and he's going to want a big, multi-year deal.

    He'll never play out that big contract and we're going to take a huge hit to the cap when it happens.

    It gives us 2 options:

    1: Let him play out his contract here and get one more productive season, then let him walk.

    2: Take what we can get now why he still has value and use those picks to build.

    We went with #2, and even though it's a hard pill to swallow it was the RIGHT thing to do whether we liked it or not.

  • @ithika said:

    Jamal will be 30 in Aug and has alot of wear and tear. There have only been a handful of RB's to continually play at a high level in their 30's I think you may be the only one in the world that thinks he's going to rush for 1,300 yards have 9 TD's and a 4.4 ypc avg like in 07. Give me a break! He's a situational short yardage back at best that is not worth paying 6.5 mil to next year. So If they can't restructure his contract he needs to be released.

    I should of woke up this morning reading that we cut Lewis because he wouldn't restructure his contract rather than read that we traded one of our best players!

    BULL$HIT!

    my bad, i meant 29.5 yrs.

    care to wager on JLew for '09? i put the over/under at 1,200. πŸ˜†

    obviously i'll take the over. loser.....? no $$. i'm a good sport.

    if he's traded this bet is null.

    @sisky-fringo said:

    my bad, i meant 29.5 yrs.

    care to wager on JLew for '09? i put the over/under at 1,200. πŸ˜†

    obviously i'll take the over. loser.....? no $$. i'm a good sport.

    if he's traded this bet is null.

    A little history for ya- ask Flugels- I've never lost an Internet bet. πŸ™‚ You mean $1,200? LOL.

    You're on- I'll take the under, and unless he seriously restructures he's as good as gone. The Lewis of '08 reminded me exactly of Jerome Bettis at the end of his career. Strictly a short yardage situational back. As compared to the current crop of elite RBs in the NFL, he's totally lost his burst.