Skip to content

Abram Elam

The Browns Board
51 20 4.2k
  • I don't see anybody in FA that could help at SS so I think it is now very important to find a way to get additional picks. They have to trade Anderson and/or trade down if they want to fill those pressing needs at Center, SS, WR and OLB.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I don't see anybody in FA that could help at SS so I think it is now very important to find a way to get additional picks. They have to trade Anderson and/or trade down if they want to fill those pressing needs at Center, SS, WR and OLB.

    According to the guys at the OBR, Mangini has been talking to Lawyer Milloy about possibly joining the team.

  • Milloy would be a nice pickup, VERY physical and aggressive we need some of that *cough*Maualuga*cough*

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I don't see anybody in FA that could help at SS so I think it is now very important to find a way to get additional picks. They have to trade Anderson and/or trade down if they want to fill those pressing needs at Center, SS, WR and OLB.

    According to the guys at the OBR, Mangini has been talking to Lawyer Milloy about possibly joining the team.

    Aloysius said:

    According to the guys at the OBR, Mangini has been talking to Lawyer Milloy about possibly joining the team.

    Yep, that would be a nice stopgap. You got to keep in mind also, Pool is one concussion away from retirement. Mailloy would be great then you wouldn't have to go after one of the top SSs, you could wait and get a Chip Vaughn. Now, depending on how many picks we can accumulate, I might still go after one of the top three. As much as we differ in opinion about him, Moore had a great pro day. Some scouts and coaches have said he has the agility to play FS in the NFL.

    Bottom line, we need to trade down and trade Anderson. I have friends that live in Jax. They are telling me that rumors are they love Crabtree and are afraid Cincy will take him. Could be a partner.

  • Just saw this on NFL.com, the Browns did NOT get Abram Elam from the Jets. Too bad.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

  • I'd rather see Roy Williams...

  • No Roy Williams. The guy is basically another LB now. He is slow and can't cover. That's why he wants to play in a 4-3 now. The 4-3 relies less on cover skills and he'd be utilized more for his strong hits.

    Lawyor Milloy is also garbage. Not a chance.

    Looks like Mike Brown may be one of our only FA options left.

    Otherwise we're banking on the draft (like the hard nosed Chung in round 2) or pushing Cribbs into that roll...

  • I remember quite a few times Sean Jones would be on tv throwing his hands up as if in confusion or yellin at someone for blowing coverage and it turned out to be him... so I figured thow out the fact that Roy couldn't cover spilled milk and let the man play up in the box and help in the run...

  • I remember quite a few times Sean Jones would be on tv throwing his hands up as if in confusion or yellin at someone for blowing coverage and it turned out to be him... so I figured thow out the fact that Roy couldn't cover spilled milk and let the man play up in the box and help in the run...

    @browns2405 said:

    I remember quite a few times Sean Jones would be on tv throwing his hands up as if in confusion or yellin at someone for blowing coverage and it turned out to be him... so I figured thow out the fact that Roy couldn't cover spilled milk and let the man play up in the box and help in the run...

    Ugh. Exactly! That was so annoying to watch. He never took the blame for those mistake. People tend to think because they saw him upset and looking around for Wright, Bmac, or Pool that it was not his fault. When you saw him angry like that it was because he knew he screwed up. Poor poker face.

  • I'm not saying he broke down on every play but on plays he complained and they showed the replay he was the one (in most cases) who got beat...

  • This attitude may have had a large roll in him not being brought back. Those DBs have to trust each other. It sure didn't appear that he was upset with himself on these plays.

    I agree. It wasn't that Jones was a terrible SS by any means. He just had a major weakness and teams continually exploited it. You never know, a strong pass rush could have made him a terrific player, ya know?

  • agreed.. he was a good safety... tackled well and had like 5 picks last year or something?!?! could be wrong about the picks.. but it seemed he wanted to pass the blame if he got beat...

  • Great value at SS in the second round. One reason why we need to accumulate additional picks in day one.

  • It sux we dont get Elam but the jets have an abundance of safeties. Elam or Smith still may get cut when the jets slim the roster.

    Milloy would be a horrible signing. Sure he was great and he does still play physical but he has no coverage skills left. Roy Williams would be a much better pick. Someone said hed be expensive but he was benched the last 2 seasons. We can probably sign him to a contract like Elam was offered and see if he will fit the system. If not he was a stop gap and hopefully we picked up a decent saftey in the draft.

    Mike Brown would be a biit more expensive and covers better but he is always hurt. He also is a better fit for FS and I wouldnt be opposed to putting Pool at SS but I think Brown isnt worth the risk.

    Giordondo(misspelled badly I know) seems like the best option he can split time with a rookie who hopefully takes the position. Plus he should be fairly cheap.

  • It sux we dont get Elam but the jets have an abundance of safeties. Elam or Smith still may get cut when the jets slim the roster.

    Milloy would be a horrible signing. Sure he was great and he does still play physical but he has no coverage skills left. Roy Williams would be a much better pick. Someone said hed be expensive but he was benched the last 2 seasons. We can probably sign him to a contract like Elam was offered and see if he will fit the system. If not he was a stop gap and hopefully we picked up a decent saftey in the draft.

    Mike Brown would be a biit more expensive and covers better but he is always hurt. He also is a better fit for FS and I wouldnt be opposed to putting Pool at SS but I think Brown isnt worth the risk.

    Giordondo(misspelled badly I know) seems like the best option he can split time with a rookie who hopefully takes the position. Plus he should be fairly cheap.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    It sux we dont get Elam but the jets have an abundance of safeties. Elam or Smith still may get cut when the jets slim the roster.

    Milloy would be a horrible signing. Sure he was great and he does still play physical but he has no coverage skills left. Roy Williams would be a much better pick. Someone said hed be expensive but he was benched the last 2 seasons. We can probably sign him to a contract like Elam was offered and see if he will fit the system. If not he was a stop gap and hopefully we picked up a decent saftey in the draft.

    Mike Brown would be a biit more expensive and covers better but he is always hurt. He also is a better fit for FS and I wouldnt be opposed to putting Pool at SS but I think Brown isnt worth the risk.

    Giordondo(misspelled badly I know) seems like the best option he can split time with a rookie who hopefully takes the position. Plus he should be fairly cheap.

    I would definately be opposed to putting Adams at SS. He is a special teams player and a backup at FS. He showed last year he couldn't handle SS. I'd rather give Hamza Abdullah a shot before Adams. Ultimately we need to use a 2nd round pick on a SS. Some don't realize the hugh importance that a SS is in the 3-4 defensive scheme.

  • So who is Abram Elam?

    Abram Elam #27 S

    2008 STATS

    TACK FF INT

    69 3 1

    Birth Date October 15, 1981

    Birth Place

    Height 6-0

    Weight 207 lbs.

    Age 27

    Position S

    Experience 4 years

    College Kent State

    2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

    Grade: 58 | Key

    Alert: None

    Comment: Elam is a second-year player who has good size and above-average athletic ability. He plays off the hash or up in the box because the Jets like to disguise their coverages with lots of movement by their safeties. He has an average peddle and appears to have just an above-average burst to close off the hash. He is at his best coming downhill as a run-support defender. He doesn't have great lateral agility or quickness and will overextend at times in space. He has good power and pop on contact and is a sure tackler in a restricted area. Elam is a solid reactor reading route progressions and leveraging receivers. He is effective in short and intermediate-zone coverages, but can be a liability in pure man schemes. He needs to develop his blitz moves and counters because the Jets like to put eight in the box and bring pressure. He appears to be somewhat one-dimensional because he rarely makes many plays in the passing game. Elam must continue to develop and expand his overall game to be a consistent contributor.