Skip to content

R&R Hall Of Fame Members

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
38 12 2.1k
  • certainly the Moody Blues and if it were up to me Procol Harum, but granted they've only had a couple hits. I can't fathom the idea that Green Day carries that much weight. I don't despise them but they seem like a footnote to the punk genre.

    WSS

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @westside-steve said:

    certainly the Moody Blues and if it were up to me Procol Harum, but granted they've only had a couple hits. I can't fathom the idea that Green Day carries that much weight. I don't despise them but they seem like a footnote to the punk genre.

    WSS

    I was baffled that green day made it in. I mean yeah they've had a lot of big hits but they're not that great in my mind

  • certainly the Moody Blues and if it were up to me Procol Harum, but granted they've only had a couple hits. I can't fathom the idea that Green Day carries that much weight. I don't despise them but they seem like a footnote to the punk genre.

    WSS

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @westside-steve said:

    certainly the Moody Blues and if it were up to me Procol Harum, but granted they've only had a couple hits. I can't fathom the idea that Green Day carries that much weight. I don't despise them but they seem like a footnote to the punk genre.

    WSS

    Certainly, the Moody Blues should be part of it.

    Commercial success. Eloquent music. Long lasting. You name it.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I like the Moody Blues for "in your wildest dreams" however "nights in white satin" is one of my least favorite songs ever.

  • Ringo Starr is now an individual member of the R&R Hall of Fame. Good for him. I always considered him to be underrated as a member of the Fab Four.

    Any way.............more than any other HOF, perhaps, the R&R has members that really make me scratch my head. I understand that R&R is kind of a misnomer as it extends from R&R to Soul to Folk to Blues, etc. I guess it's all Rock and Roll and I like it.

    However, unless I am mistaken, there are AT LEAST two artists I can list off the top of my head that should be part of the HOF. Actually, IMHO, no Rock & Roll Hall of Fame can be legit without the following being members:

    Johnny Rivers - plenty of Hits and has albums recorded in 6 decades.

    The Monkees - music, TV, Pop Icons, etc.

    Off the top of your heads, who else is being overlooked????

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @chicopee-john said:

    Ringo Starr is now an individual member of the R&R Hall of Fame. Good for him. I always considered him to be underrated as a member of the Fab Four.

    Any way.............more than any other HOF, perhaps, the R&R has members that really make me scratch my head. I understand that R&R is kind of a misnomer as it extends from R&R to Soul to Folk to Blues, etc. I guess it's all Rock and Roll and I like it.

    However, unless I am mistaken, there are AT LEAST two artists I can list off the top of my head that should be part of the HOF. Actually, IMHO, no Rock & Roll Hall of Fame can be legit without the following being members:

    Johnny Rivers - plenty of Hits and has albums recorded in 6 decades.

    The Monkees - music, TV, Pop Icons, etc.

    Off the top of your heads, who else is being overlooked????

    Every one has their ideas. The two you mention are rarely mentioned because I suspect: A. The Monkees were a made for TV movie with guys that were just thrown together to perform....and who did very little of their own playing and writing.

    B. Johnny Rivers was more known for his covers of songs than for originals.

    Now, I like both of them very much....but there are, I guess, "musicianship" issues that deter their induction.

    Plus, the one area that has seem to be short shifted in what I hear a lot are the Progressive Rock Bands, of the 70s/80s. Tull, Yes, Procul Harum, Moody Blues, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, etc.

  • @chicopee-john said:

    Ringo Starr is now an individual member of the R&R Hall of Fame. Good for him. I always considered him to be underrated as a member of the Fab Four.

    Any way.............more than any other HOF, perhaps, the R&R has members that really make me scratch my head. I understand that R&R is kind of a misnomer as it extends from R&R to Soul to Folk to Blues, etc. I guess it's all Rock and Roll and I like it.

    However, unless I am mistaken, there are AT LEAST two artists I can list off the top of my head that should be part of the HOF. Actually, IMHO, no Rock & Roll Hall of Fame can be legit without the following being members:

    Johnny Rivers - plenty of Hits and has albums recorded in 6 decades.

    The Monkees - music, TV, Pop Icons, etc.

    Off the top of your heads, who else is being overlooked????

    Every one has their ideas. The two you mention are rarely mentioned because I suspect: A. The Monkees were a made for TV movie with guys that were just thrown together to perform....and who did very little of their own playing and writing.

    B. Johnny Rivers was more known for his covers of songs than for originals.

    Now, I like both of them very much....but there are, I guess, "musicianship" issues that deter their induction.

    Plus, the one area that has seem to be short shifted in what I hear a lot are the Progressive Rock Bands, of the 70s/80s. Tull, Yes, Procul Harum, Moody Blues, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, etc.

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @the-gipper said:

    Every one has their ideas. The two you mention are rarely mentioned because I suspect: A. The Monkees were a made for TV movie with guys that were just thrown together to perform....and who did very little of their own playing and writing.

    B. Johnny Rivers was more known for his covers of songs than for originals.

    Now, I like both of them very much....but there are, I guess, "musicianship" issues that deter their induction.

    Plus, the one area that has seem to be short shifted in what I hear a lot are the Progressive Rock Bands, of the 70s/80s. Tull, Yes, Procul Harum, Moody Blues, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, etc.

    Good points.

    I understand your points about Johnny Rivers (I really don't know what songs he wrote and what songs he 'covered' but - if that were the case only Smoky Robinson would be in the HOF and, virtually, all other Motown artists would be "On The Outside Looking In".

    PS Dave Clark 5 were also a manufactured group, perhaps like the Monkees. My guess is that Dave Clark 5 is in.

    Tull's, "Aqua Lung" is one of the best records of all time, IMHO. If not the group or Ian Anderson, that album should be.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Every one has their ideas. The two you mention are rarely mentioned because I suspect: A. The Monkees were a made for TV movie with guys that were just thrown together to perform....and who did very little of their own playing and writing.

    B. Johnny Rivers was more known for his covers of songs than for originals.

    Now, I like both of them very much....but there are, I guess, "musicianship" issues that deter their induction.

    Plus, the one area that has seem to be short shifted in what I hear a lot are the Progressive Rock Bands, of the 70s/80s. Tull, Yes, Procul Harum, Moody Blues, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, etc.

    Good points.

    I understand your points about Johnny Rivers (I really don't know what songs he wrote and what songs he 'covered' but - if that were the case only Smoky Robinson would be in the HOF and, virtually, all other Motown artists would be "On The Outside Looking In".

    PS Dave Clark 5 were also a manufactured group, perhaps like the Monkees. My guess is that Dave Clark 5 is in.

    Tull's, "Aqua Lung" is one of the best records of all time, IMHO. If not the group or Ian Anderson, that album should be.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @chicopee-john said:

    Good points.

    I understand your points about Johnny Rivers (I really don't know what songs he wrote and what songs he 'covered' but - if that were the case only Smoky Robinson would be in the HOF and, virtually, all other Motown artists would be "On The Outside Looking In".

    PS Dave Clark 5 were also a manufactured group, perhaps like the Monkees. My guess is that Dave Clark 5 is in.

    Tull's, "Aqua Lung" is one of the best records of all time, IMHO. If not the group or Ian Anderson, that album should be.

    Dave Clark 5 is in the HOF

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #9

    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

    here are some ideas for you.

    WSS

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #10

    A band I liked from the 70's, Grand Funk Railroad didn't even make the snub list so they probably aren't going in. I am surprised Yes never made it though.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    How is Alan Parsons not in the HOF?

    Not only did he have a career in a band, he was an engineer or producer for some of the biggest records of all time

  • C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
    #12

    @westside-steve said:

    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

    here are some ideas for you.

    WSS

    Without putting much thought to it, I found the following to be surprising.

    Of course, this has nothing to do with my personal taste.

    Also, I am flat-out unfamiliar with some of those on the 'Snub List".

    My surprises (In alphabetical order).

    • Bon Jovi
    • Chicago
    • Dick Dale
    • Dire Straits
    • Doobie Brothers
    • Guess Who (Damn Canadians, I know)
    • Journey
    • Peter, Paul, and Mary
    • Weird Al
    • Barry White
    • Yes
  • @westside-steve said:

    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

    here are some ideas for you.

    WSS

    Without putting much thought to it, I found the following to be surprising.

    Of course, this has nothing to do with my personal taste.

    Also, I am flat-out unfamiliar with some of those on the 'Snub List".

    My surprises (In alphabetical order).

    • Bon Jovi
    • Chicago
    • Dick Dale
    • Dire Straits
    • Doobie Brothers
    • Guess Who (Damn Canadians, I know)
    • Journey
    • Peter, Paul, and Mary
    • Weird Al
    • Barry White
    • Yes
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @chicopee-john said:

    Without putting much thought to it, I found the following to be surprising.

    Of course, this has nothing to do with my personal taste.

    Also, I am flat-out unfamiliar with some of those on the 'Snub List".

    My surprises (In alphabetical order).

    Some plausible explanations:

    • Bon Jovi
    • Chicago RRHOF members don't like their "jazz" orientation
    • Dick Dale
    • Dire Straits
    • Doobie Brothers
    • Guess Who (Damn Canadians, I know)
    • Journey
    • Peter, Paul, and Mary RRHOF think they are just a "folk act".
    • Weird Al "just a novelty act"
    • Barry White
    • Yes
  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #14

    Chicago should be in for sure...

    From Free, to Bad Company, to Queen, Paul Rodgers needs tro be in.

  • Chicago should be in for sure...

    From Free, to Bad Company, to Queen, Paul Rodgers needs tro be in.

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
    #15

    @ballpeen said:

    Chicago should be in for sure...

    From Free, to Bad Company, to Queen, Paul Rodgers needs tro be in.

    I agree RE: Paul Rogers - great R&R voice and tons of 'Hits'. Has a much better resume than The Prenders, as an example.

    Actually, he just recently released a solo album.

  • JBrohamerJ JBrohamer wrote on last edited by
    #16

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Green Day were *the* punk band for a (my) generation. Not hardcore punk like the sex pistols, maybe, but they were among the first, that I know of, in the generation of 'pop punk' acts like Offspring, Blink 182, Sum 41 and the rest.

    Their music won't stack up against maybe other genre-defining groups like the beatles and led zep, but then the genre itself wouldn't stack up. They're just the best at what they do.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #18

  • Green Day were *the* punk band for a (my) generation. Not hardcore punk like the sex pistols, maybe, but they were among the first, that I know of, in the generation of 'pop punk' acts like Offspring, Blink 182, Sum 41 and the rest.

    Their music won't stack up against maybe other genre-defining groups like the beatles and led zep, but then the genre itself wouldn't stack up. They're just the best at what they do.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gftchris said:

    Green Day were *the* punk band for a (my) generation. Not hardcore punk like the sex pistols, maybe, but they were among the first, that I know of, in the generation of 'pop punk' acts like Offspring, Blink 182, Sum 41 and the rest.

    Their music won't stack up against maybe other genre-defining groups like the beatles and led zep, but then the genre itself wouldn't stack up. They're just the best at what they do.

    I would have fought Elvis Costello was the godfather of pop punk. he just took the genre far from its point of origin.

    (I remember years ago a couple of people arguing about whether or not Green Day sold out)

    WSS

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Costello always seems to me more pop than punk - there's a large difference IMHO between his style and Green Day's, not least because the sound is heavy on synthesizer!

    Also, I love 'She' but it's not punk in any way 😉

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #21

    If green day got in bands like stone temple pilots should be in. Stp was awesome.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Richard hell is the godfather of punk. His image was what the sex pistols were visually based on and he was the one Malcom McLaren originally approached to lead the pistols. "Blank generation" was all that McLaren wanted the pistols to be and "pretty vacant" was a direct attempt to ape it.