Skip to content

R&R Hall Of Fame Members

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
38 12 2.1k
  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #18

  • Green Day were *the* punk band for a (my) generation. Not hardcore punk like the sex pistols, maybe, but they were among the first, that I know of, in the generation of 'pop punk' acts like Offspring, Blink 182, Sum 41 and the rest.

    Their music won't stack up against maybe other genre-defining groups like the beatles and led zep, but then the genre itself wouldn't stack up. They're just the best at what they do.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gftchris said:

    Green Day were *the* punk band for a (my) generation. Not hardcore punk like the sex pistols, maybe, but they were among the first, that I know of, in the generation of 'pop punk' acts like Offspring, Blink 182, Sum 41 and the rest.

    Their music won't stack up against maybe other genre-defining groups like the beatles and led zep, but then the genre itself wouldn't stack up. They're just the best at what they do.

    I would have fought Elvis Costello was the godfather of pop punk. he just took the genre far from its point of origin.

    (I remember years ago a couple of people arguing about whether or not Green Day sold out)

    WSS

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Costello always seems to me more pop than punk - there's a large difference IMHO between his style and Green Day's, not least because the sound is heavy on synthesizer!

    Also, I love 'She' but it's not punk in any way 😉

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #21

    If green day got in bands like stone temple pilots should be in. Stp was awesome.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Richard hell is the godfather of punk. His image was what the sex pistols were visually based on and he was the one Malcom McLaren originally approached to lead the pistols. "Blank generation" was all that McLaren wanted the pistols to be and "pretty vacant" was a direct attempt to ape it.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Which came first, punk the genre, or punk the thing old people shout at young people they don't like?

    For green day I'm talking about pop-punk, not punk.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Green day started as direct punk in my opinion. They are not any more poppy than the Ramones or the pistols.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Pop and punk have always been strange bedfellows. If you listen to blitzkrieg bop it's just pop played super fast

  • Costello always seems to me more pop than punk - there's a large difference IMHO between his style and Green Day's, not least because the sound is heavy on synthesizer!

    Also, I love 'She' but it's not punk in any way 😉

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gftchris said:

    Costello always seems to me more pop than punk - there's a large difference IMHO between his style and Green Day's, not least because the sound is heavy on synthesizer!

    Also, I love 'She' but it's not punk in any way 😉

    My aim is true and never mind the bollocks both came out in 77 and long long way from she which we celebrated mr. McManus did not write.

    but by that time he had traveled a long way from the pop punk beginnings.

    I tend to agree on his Pop influence because his music never embodied the raw ugliness of some punk performers. But we were talking about pop punk so...

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #27

    As a good deal of Green Day is in no way punk these days. especially that one they ripped from Oasis and time of your life.

    WSS

  • @gftchris said:

    Costello always seems to me more pop than punk - there's a large difference IMHO between his style and Green Day's, not least because the sound is heavy on synthesizer!

    Also, I love 'She' but it's not punk in any way 😉

    My aim is true and never mind the bollocks both came out in 77 and long long way from she which we celebrated mr. McManus did not write.

    but by that time he had traveled a long way from the pop punk beginnings.

    I tend to agree on his Pop influence because his music never embodied the raw ugliness of some punk performers. But we were talking about pop punk so...

    WSS

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @westside-steve said:

    My aim is true and never mind the bollocks both came out in 77 and long long way from she which we celebrated mr. McManus did not write.

    but by that time he had traveled a long way from the pop punk beginnings.

    I tend to agree on his Pop influence because his music never embodied the raw ugliness of some punk performers. But we were talking about pop punk so...

    WSS

    While on the subject of Punk, today is Iggy Pop's 68th birthday

  • @westside-steve said:

    My aim is true and never mind the bollocks both came out in 77 and long long way from she which we celebrated mr. McManus did not write.

    but by that time he had traveled a long way from the pop punk beginnings.

    I tend to agree on his Pop influence because his music never embodied the raw ugliness of some punk performers. But we were talking about pop punk so...

    WSS

    While on the subject of Punk, today is Iggy Pop's 68th birthday

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @chicopee-john said:

    While on the subject of Punk, today is Iggy Pop's 68th birthday

    well happy birthday Iggy.

    I don't get him but that's nothing new.

    WSS

  • @chicopee-john said:

    While on the subject of Punk, today is Iggy Pop's 68th birthday

    well happy birthday Iggy.

    I don't get him but that's nothing new.

    WSS

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @westside-steve said:

    well happy birthday Iggy.

    I don't get him but that's nothing new.

    WSS

    Me neither. Coincidently (sp) I saw it listed under, "Today's Birthdays" in the newspaper.

    I never got or enjoyed the entire Punk 'thing' although I did see a few bands that probably qualify:

    • Clash (Agora Hartford) Never lived up to the 'Hype', IMHO At least I can say I saw them.
    • Ramones (Agora Hartford) Didn't care for the show. Don't believe they had talent. Head scratcher band to me. The crowd, though, was kind of fun.
    • Sonic Youth (Pearl St, Northampton, MA) See Ramones above
    • X (Agora Hartford) Exene Cervenka made it interesting and memorable. Mediocre show. Still talk about certain aspects of the show, however.
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #31

    There a lot of variations under the punk umbrella. I never really considered the New York Dolls or The Ramones as Punk act but...

    WSS

  • There a lot of variations under the punk umbrella. I never really considered the New York Dolls or The Ramones as Punk act but...

    WSS

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @westside-steve said:

    There a lot of variations under the punk umbrella. I never really considered the New York Dolls or The Ramones as Punk act but...

    WSS

    Well, Louis Armstrong is in the R&R HOF.

  • @westside-steve said:

    There a lot of variations under the punk umbrella. I never really considered the New York Dolls or The Ramones as Punk act but...

    WSS

    Well, Louis Armstrong is in the R&R HOF.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @chicopee-john said:

    Well, Louis Armstrong is in the R&R HOF.

    Well there are rock critics who believe rock and roll definitely came from the black community and what I would call the blues. and it probably did. personally I think the genre has changed and evolved so much that there is as much influence from Beethoven.

    I don't think Bill Withers has the gravitas to be included but I think they were looking for a token.

    WSS

  • @chicopee-john said:

    Well, Louis Armstrong is in the R&R HOF.

    Well there are rock critics who believe rock and roll definitely came from the black community and what I would call the blues. and it probably did. personally I think the genre has changed and evolved so much that there is as much influence from Beethoven.

    I don't think Bill Withers has the gravitas to be included but I think they were looking for a token.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @westside-steve said:

    Well there are rock critics who believe rock and roll definitely came from the black community and what I would call the blues. and it probably did. personally I think the genre has changed and evolved so much that there is as much influence from Beethoven.

    I don't think Bill Withers has the gravitas to be included but I think they were looking for a token.

    WSS

    Fair statement. If ABBA gets in, why not Barbara Streisand, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion etc.

    And look at this list:

    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @westside-steve said:

    Abba is more a rock act than any of those, just pop.

    Nothing wrong with Abba being there.

    WSS

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #36

    I dont understand the Joan Jett nomination. I think someone like Pat Benetar or Chryssie Hynde are more deserving.. they actually made an impact on style and culture.. Joan Jett was a one hit wonder.

  • I dont understand the Joan Jett nomination. I think someone like Pat Benetar or Chryssie Hynde are more deserving.. they actually made an impact on style and culture.. Joan Jett was a one hit wonder.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @nickers said:

    I dont understand the Joan Jett nomination. I think someone like Pat Benetar or Chryssie Hynde are more deserving.. they actually made an impact on style and culture.. Joan Jett was a one hit wonder.

    Chrissie Hynde is in....as her career has primarily been with The Pretenders.

    But I think you are right on about Pat Benataar.....more hits, more panache. But, again, I think they.....whoever they are, must have thought that she was to "pop" for the HOF. Though I don't see her as any more or less pop than Joan Jett......though I think Benatar did try to be more feminine.

    As I have said here or elsewhere.....Joan Jett didn't do anything that Suzi Quatro didn't do before her.