Skip to content

The Latest on "The Trade"

The Browns Board
119 36 7.3k
  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Not saying this is the BEST idea...but it sure doesn't look BAD to me.

    No, it doesn't look bad......but I do think some of the picks might be somewhat different.

    You have to put yourself in the Jets shoes and Denvers shoes and forget about the Browns for a moment. We know what we want and what would be fair.

    There has to be some other picks from the Jets involved.

    If Denver simply wanted Quinn, why not just come to us? They don't have to broker through NY other than we want picks, and they aren't going to give picks away to trade Cutler.

    I can't believe Denver would trade Cutler to us in a straight up deal to land Quinn. Sorry folks.....Cutler is worth way more than simply Brady Quinn...fact.....bank it.

    In all of this, if it pans out, the Jets are going to have to send Denver some picks....or, we are going to have to send Denver our high first rounder for their 1st rounder, and we get the Jets first rounder...and when thinking about that...that seems fair for this year.

    Denver would still need something from the Jets....maybe next years first rounder and this years 2nd.

    Cutler is worth more than a few picks....he will bring 3-4 picks from the Jets over time.

    So, back to us.....Denver picks 12th this year.....the Jets 17th.......so, I see it we will drop to 12th with Denver getting our selection at #5, and we pick up the Jets selection at #17.

    I make that move without much though and even less regret.

    You never know....maybe Denver will demand more this year an we will be the ones to get future considerations.

    @ballpeen said:

    No, it doesn't look bad......but I do think some of the picks might be somewhat different.

    You have to put yourself in the Jets shoes and Denvers shoes and forget about the Browns for a moment. We know what we want and what would be fair.

    There has to be some other picks from the Jets involved.

    If Denver simply wanted Quinn, why not just come to us? They don't have to broker through NY other than we want picks, and they aren't going to give picks away to trade Cutler.

    I can't believe Denver would trade Cutler to us in a straight up deal to land Quinn. Sorry folks.....Cutler is worth way more than simply Brady Quinn...fact.....bank it.

    In all of this, if it pans out, the Jets are going to have to send Denver some picks....or, we are going to have to send Denver our high first rounder for their 1st rounder, and we get the Jets first rounder...and when thinking about that...that seems fair for this year.

    Denver would still need something from the Jets....maybe next years first rounder and this years 2nd.

    Cutler is worth more than a few picks....he will bring 3-4 picks from the Jets over time.

    So, back to us.....Denver picks 12th this year.....the Jets 17th.......so, I see it we will drop to 12th with Denver getting our selection at #5, and we pick up the Jets selection at #17.

    I make that move without much though and even less regret.

    You never know....maybe Denver will demand more this year an we will be the ones to get future considerations.

    so your ok with giving Quinn and 2nd rounder for a mid 1st.

  • @shepwrite said:

    SEVERAL NFL sources say the Browns are dangling BOTH QBs, as if they really can't decide between the two.

    I think you mean "OBR's BQ-homers are trying to hang onto the belief that they are dangling BOTH QBs"

    Hey what do you bet the folks in CBS next fall would be chanting "SAN-CHEZ" after every incomplete pass?

    Haha, you know it wouldn't happen, and that's because this is all just a case of man-love for an overhyped hometown golden domer.

    @lumbergh said:

    I think you mean "OBR's BQ-homers are trying to hang onto the belief that they are dangling BOTH QBs"

    Hey what do you bet the folks in CBS next fall would be chanting "SAN-CHEZ" after every incomplete pass?

    Haha, you know it wouldn't happen, and that's because this is all just a case of man-love for an overhyped hometown golden domer.

    Lumberg

    Could you please in one post state what you think of the browns, what you think the browns will do for a QB this year, who you think the browns will draft, and who you would like the browns to draft?

    Thank You

  • How about offering rogers + DA to denver for Cutler, then trade cutler to the Jets...?

  • @ballpeen said:

    No, it doesn't look bad......but I do think some of the picks might be somewhat different.

    You have to put yourself in the Jets shoes and Denvers shoes and forget about the Browns for a moment. We know what we want and what would be fair.

    There has to be some other picks from the Jets involved.

    If Denver simply wanted Quinn, why not just come to us? They don't have to broker through NY other than we want picks, and they aren't going to give picks away to trade Cutler.

    I can't believe Denver would trade Cutler to us in a straight up deal to land Quinn. Sorry folks.....Cutler is worth way more than simply Brady Quinn...fact.....bank it.

    In all of this, if it pans out, the Jets are going to have to send Denver some picks....or, we are going to have to send Denver our high first rounder for their 1st rounder, and we get the Jets first rounder...and when thinking about that...that seems fair for this year.

    Denver would still need something from the Jets....maybe next years first rounder and this years 2nd.

    Cutler is worth more than a few picks....he will bring 3-4 picks from the Jets over time.

    So, back to us.....Denver picks 12th this year.....the Jets 17th.......so, I see it we will drop to 12th with Denver getting our selection at #5, and we pick up the Jets selection at #17.

    I make that move without much though and even less regret.

    You never know....maybe Denver will demand more this year an we will be the ones to get future considerations.

    so your ok with giving Quinn and 2nd rounder for a mid 1st.

    nmills said:

    so your ok with giving Quinn and 2nd rounder for a mid 1st.

    Read the post is all I can say.

  • This trade with Quinn going to Denver is interesting. Seriously, it may be a valid thought...but I have a few things about it that don't make sense:

    1. The reason Denver is supposedly interested in Quinn is that they are going to run a 'New England' offense....but the Browns are rumored to be doing the same thing...so wouldn't the BROWNS want Quinn?

    2. The Browns reportedly turned down a deal with Minnesota for 2 1sts last year...and NOW they take a 1st and a 2nd?

    However, there are also reasons for this to make sense:

    1. If the Browns are really in rebuild..AND like one of the QB's in the draft (or like DA)...this is a PERFECT way for the new FO to put their stamp on this team and get optimum picks to rebuild.

    2. It ends the QB debate and gets the team behind the QB of choice

    3. The Browns have been clearing cap space and spending petty cash in FA...so they must be saving the cash for draft picks (or maybe a late big name FA???)

    Basically, I think that this COULD be valid...and as we are NOT going to compete this year anyway...if the team is sold on either DA or one of the QB's in the draft...we will have a couple of years for them to develop into the leader we need...and have a lot more pieces to help them get there.

    Right now the Browns have the following picks:

    #5

    #36

    #50

    This trade is likely to bring in at least:

    #17

    #53

    and possibly one of the following:

    #76

    #79

    Thereby giving the Browns 5 picks in the top 53 (1st and 2nd rounds) and possible a 3rd rounder. That could go a long way to filling all the needs of this team...and make life a TON easier for whatever QB we put behind center.

    Not saying this is the BEST idea...but it sure doesn't look BAD to me.

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    2. The Browns reportedly turned down a deal with Minnesota for 2 1sts last year...and NOW they take a 1st and a 2nd?

    Different regime, though, with no connection to Quinn; I could see them taking less.

    What doesn't make sense to me is why Savage signed Anderson to what turned out to basically be a permanent starter's deal, but went ahead and hung onto Quinn? For what purpose? You have a guy that is going to make starting money for the next 2 years. Get value for 'the other guy' and move on. That's why I think that story about the Minn. trade is bogus.

  • nmills said:

    so your ok with giving Quinn and 2nd rounder for a mid 1st.

    Read the post is all I can say.

    @ballpeen said:

    Read the post is all I can say.

    so thats a yea

    If the Browns were willing to accept a mid first for Quinn and a 2nd or 3rd I GUARANTEE he would have been gone along time ago.

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    2. The Browns reportedly turned down a deal with Minnesota for 2 1sts last year...and NOW they take a 1st and a 2nd?

    Different regime, though, with no connection to Quinn; I could see them taking less.

    What doesn't make sense to me is why Savage signed Anderson to what turned out to basically be a permanent starter's deal, but went ahead and hung onto Quinn? For what purpose? You have a guy that is going to make starting money for the next 2 years. Get value for 'the other guy' and move on. That's why I think that story about the Minn. trade is bogus.

    @lemosley01 said:

    Different regime, though, with no connection to Quinn; I could see them taking less.

    What doesn't make sense to me is why Savage signed Anderson to what turned out to basically be a permanent starter's deal, but went ahead and hung onto Quinn? For what purpose? You have a guy that is going to make starting money for the next 2 years. Get value for 'the other guy' and move on. That's why I think that story about the Minn. trade is bogus.

    It doesnt matter that the previous FO is gone, Minnesota's FO is still there and there the one's that offered it. You think Kokinis doesnt no what Minnesota offered the previous regime.

  • @lemosley01 said:

    Different regime, though, with no connection to Quinn; I could see them taking less.

    What doesn't make sense to me is why Savage signed Anderson to what turned out to basically be a permanent starter's deal, but went ahead and hung onto Quinn? For what purpose? You have a guy that is going to make starting money for the next 2 years. Get value for 'the other guy' and move on. That's why I think that story about the Minn. trade is bogus.

    It doesnt matter that the previous FO is gone, Minnesota's FO is still there and there the one's that offered it. You think Kokinis doesnt no what Minnesota offered the previous regime.

    nmills said:

    It doesnt matter that the previous FO is gone, Minnesota's FO is still there and there the one's that offered it. You think Kokinis doesnt no what Minnesota offered the previous regime.

    While he might know what was offered, *knowing* and *caring* are two entirely different things.

    Quinn MIGHT have been worth two first rounders to Minnesota. That was last year. It appears his worth is much less at the present, which is all that matters. It doesn't matter that your house was 'worth' $500,000 last year. This year, someone will only give you $300,000 making that it's value.

    Kokinis and Mangini have no loyalties to any of these players. IF they can get what they fell is fair value that will help the team more than keeping the player, they will do it. It doesn't matter what may or may not have been offered in the past.

  • My opinion is that you would do this trade. I think that the new front office and coaching staff are looking at the big picture. If you can get two first and a second for your first and BQ then you do it. You live with DA and hope he can be coached up and you draft a QB to replace him NEXT season if you need too.

    This is a deep draft at many positions, QB is not one of them. You are not going to trade BQ and draft a QB this year. You draft OL and defense, try and sign a few serviceable receivers in the FA market and go from there. If needed then you try and pick up a QB in next seasons draft when there will be many more quality QBs to choose from.

    And as far as what has been offered for either BQ or DA there is no real proof other than rumor for what has ever been offered. We don't know if the Vikings really offered two first for BQ and we don't know if Dallas offered a 1st and 2nd for DA. And even if both situations are true, that was a different front office. That was a different coaching staff.

    This coaching staff wants to build the team from the ground up. I don't get why people think that because BQ had a very good game against a HORRIBLE Denver defense that that makes him an automatic star in the league. Yes he hurt himself and had two poor games after that. Give him the benefit of the doubt and start him. But if you can get value in a deep draft and you as a coaching staff are not sold on him then you pull the trigger.

    And Lum, please just post your opinion on this trade and make it constructive. This trade is not about DA, it is about BQ. Really the Browns could go sign a QB to fill in for a year and trade both DA and BQ and try and get a franchise QB next year. There is nothing to say that the Browns would not trade both of them.

  • nmills said:

    It doesnt matter that the previous FO is gone, Minnesota's FO is still there and there the one's that offered it. You think Kokinis doesnt no what Minnesota offered the previous regime.

    While he might know what was offered, *knowing* and *caring* are two entirely different things.

    Quinn MIGHT have been worth two first rounders to Minnesota. That was last year. It appears his worth is much less at the present, which is all that matters. It doesn't matter that your house was 'worth' $500,000 last year. This year, someone will only give you $300,000 making that it's value.

    Kokinis and Mangini have no loyalties to any of these players. IF they can get what they fell is fair value that will help the team more than keeping the player, they will do it. It doesn't matter what may or may not have been offered in the past.

    @lemosley01 said:

    While he might know what was offered, *knowing* and *caring* are two entirely different things.

    Quinn MIGHT have been worth two first rounders to Minnesota. That was last year. It appears his worth is much less at the present, which is all that matters. It doesn't matter that your house was 'worth' $500,000 last year. This year, someone will only give you $300,000 making that it's value.

    Kokinis and Mangini have no loyalties to any of these players. IF they can get what they fell is fair value that will help the team more than keeping the player, they will do it. It doesn't matter what may or may not have been offered in the past.

    It was like 4-5 months ago

    If you have a house thats was worth 500,000 last year and your only getting 300,000 dollar offers this year you'd be a complete idiot to sell it. But I dont think thats a very good comparison.

  • And if the old front office was willing to accept a mid 1st and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for BQ he would have been gone along time ago. That has nothing to do with what the new front office will do.

    I had a friend that would not sell her tech stock at 110. I sold mine, stock dropped to 25 in less than 6 months. She still did not sell because she was much like you, its value is 110 I am not selling at 25. Now it is worthless. Not exactly the same thing but I think you get my point. Kind of like the house situation posted above.

  • @lemosley01 said:

    While he might know what was offered, *knowing* and *caring* are two entirely different things.

    Quinn MIGHT have been worth two first rounders to Minnesota. That was last year. It appears his worth is much less at the present, which is all that matters. It doesn't matter that your house was 'worth' $500,000 last year. This year, someone will only give you $300,000 making that it's value.

    Kokinis and Mangini have no loyalties to any of these players. IF they can get what they fell is fair value that will help the team more than keeping the player, they will do it. It doesn't matter what may or may not have been offered in the past.

    It was like 4-5 months ago

    If you have a house thats was worth 500,000 last year and your only getting 300,000 dollar offers this year you'd be a complete idiot to sell it. But I dont think thats a very good comparison.

    nmills said:

    It was like 4-5 months ago

    If you have a house thats was worth 500,000 last year and your only getting 300,000 dollar offers this year you'd be a complete idiot to sell it. But I dont think thats a very good comparison.

    That doesn't change what it's true (current) value is. What it used to be doesn't matter. It is worth what someone will give you for it. You can speculate what it will be worth in the future, but if no one else projects the same, you end up holding an asset that isn't worth as much as you think it is. At the time, to Minnesota, Quinn may have been worth two 1st rounders. No one else offered two first rounders, and now it appears Minnesota doesn't need him that badly either. So, he isn't worth 2 1st rounders AT PRESENT.

    Is keeping Quinn (or Anderson) going to give us greater returns than getting draft picks or other players for them.

    I *personally* don't know. I just know that's how the decisions are made.

  • And if the old front office was willing to accept a mid 1st and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for BQ he would have been gone along time ago. That has nothing to do with what the new front office will do.

    I had a friend that would not sell her tech stock at 110. I sold mine, stock dropped to 25 in less than 6 months. She still did not sell because she was much like you, its value is 110 I am not selling at 25. Now it is worthless. Not exactly the same thing but I think you get my point. Kind of like the house situation posted above.

    @cmac12 said:

    And if the old front office was willing to accept a mid 1st and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for BQ he would have been gone along time ago. That has nothing to do with what the new front office will do.

    I had a friend that would not sell her tech stock at 110. I sold mine, stock dropped to 25 in less than 6 months. She still did not sell because she was much like you, its value is 110 I am not selling at 25. Now it is worthless. Not exactly the same thing but I think you get my point. Kind of like the house situation posted above.

    I was talking about the new front office when I said if they we willing to part with Quinn and a 2nd for a Mid 1st that it would already have been done.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Read the post is all I can say.

    so thats a yea

    If the Browns were willing to accept a mid first for Quinn and a 2nd or 3rd I GUARANTEE he would have been gone along time ago.

    nmills said:

    so thats a yea

    If the Browns were willing to accept a mid first for Quinn and a 2nd or 3rd I GUARANTEE he would have been gone along time ago.

    What has Quinn done in the NFL?

    Cutler is the proven QB here and they are willing to trade him for draft picks and Brady Quinn

    The Broncos receive: #5 pick in 2009 draft, Jets 2nd round pick 2009 draft and Brady Quinn

    The Browns receive: #12 picks in 2009 draft, #17 pick in 2009 draft and maybe a 4th round pick in 2009 draft

    The Jets receive: A starting quarterback they need to replace Farve and trade draft choices

    The Browns now don't have to pay a #5 draft choice the money that comes with that pick and they pickup a 1st round choice, now we have 2 1st round picks and 2 second round picks and still have Derek Anderson as a stop gap quarterback if we draft another QB

    The Browns have traded Brady Quinn who has had ONE GOOD GAME in the NFL against a very poor defense and the #5 pick in the draft and now have 2-1st round picks in this draft. I don't see how you can't see this trade helps the Browns long term

    I ask you again whats Brady Quinn done in the NFL........You are acting like we should get 2..1st round picks for a guy that is unproven and done nothing in the NFL.

    This would be a GREAT DEAL for the Jets as they are only giving up 3 draft choices for a FRANCHISE QB, the Broncos get good return they get a QB in Quinn, the #5 pick in the draft and a 2nd round pick from the Jets. they are able to trade Cutler replace him with Quinn and move up 7 slots in the draft and pickup a 2nd round draft choice.

    The Browns want and need draft choices now we have a chance to get 4 of the top 60 players in the draft which can fill 4 holes we need filled or fill 3 holes and draft the QB that Mangini wants

  • whatever you guys are obviously set in your beleives and like wise for me so will just agree to disagree and when or if something actually happens we can argue some more until then will leave it at that

  • nmills said:

    so thats a yea

    If the Browns were willing to accept a mid first for Quinn and a 2nd or 3rd I GUARANTEE he would have been gone along time ago.

    What has Quinn done in the NFL?

    Cutler is the proven QB here and they are willing to trade him for draft picks and Brady Quinn

    The Broncos receive: #5 pick in 2009 draft, Jets 2nd round pick 2009 draft and Brady Quinn

    The Browns receive: #12 picks in 2009 draft, #17 pick in 2009 draft and maybe a 4th round pick in 2009 draft

    The Jets receive: A starting quarterback they need to replace Farve and trade draft choices

    The Browns now don't have to pay a #5 draft choice the money that comes with that pick and they pickup a 1st round choice, now we have 2 1st round picks and 2 second round picks and still have Derek Anderson as a stop gap quarterback if we draft another QB

    The Browns have traded Brady Quinn who has had ONE GOOD GAME in the NFL against a very poor defense and the #5 pick in the draft and now have 2-1st round picks in this draft. I don't see how you can't see this trade helps the Browns long term

    I ask you again whats Brady Quinn done in the NFL........You are acting like we should get 2..1st round picks for a guy that is unproven and done nothing in the NFL.

    This would be a GREAT DEAL for the Jets as they are only giving up 3 draft choices for a FRANCHISE QB, the Broncos get good return they get a QB in Quinn, the #5 pick in the draft and a 2nd round pick from the Jets. they are able to trade Cutler replace him with Quinn and move up 7 slots in the draft and pickup a 2nd round draft choice.

    The Browns want and need draft choices now we have a chance to get 4 of the top 60 players in the draft which can fill 4 holes we need filled or fill 3 holes and draft the QB that Mangini wants

    @sony-reed said:

    Cutler is the proven QB here and they are willing to trade him for draft picks and Brady Quinn

    really? i know he has the yards to back this up but look at his record as a starter is 17-20. he's below .500. he also has never been to the playoffs. i know that he can't control what happens on defense, but if he really was elite, he would have at least an above .500 record or a playoff appearance. i'm also not sold on his abilities late in the game. if it weren't for a blown call by ed hochuli then the broncos would have lost that first game against the chargers because cutler got happy feet and dropped the ball.

  • whatever you guys are obviously set in your beleives and like wise for me so will just agree to disagree and when or if something actually happens we can argue some more until then will leave it at that

    nmills said:

    whatever you guys are obviously set in your beleives and like wise for me so will just agree to disagree and when or if something actually happens we can argue some more until then will leave it at that

    I think Quinn will be good and it would be foolish to give him up for anything less than a surefire contributor. It's hard to underestimate the effect a good QB will have on the entire team. I have hope he will be good but that is really only based on what I've seen him do in a very limited starting scenario (and what he says). I'm certainly no NFL talent evaluator, although I can't be as bad as many of the so-called 'experts' (Phil/RAC!)

    BUT it's just as speculative as taking draft picks for him, all of which may be busts and therefore wasted picks.

    I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

  • nmills said:

    whatever you guys are obviously set in your beleives and like wise for me so will just agree to disagree and when or if something actually happens we can argue some more until then will leave it at that

    I think Quinn will be good and it would be foolish to give him up for anything less than a surefire contributor. It's hard to underestimate the effect a good QB will have on the entire team. I have hope he will be good but that is really only based on what I've seen him do in a very limited starting scenario (and what he says). I'm certainly no NFL talent evaluator, although I can't be as bad as many of the so-called 'experts' (Phil/RAC!)

    BUT it's just as speculative as taking draft picks for him, all of which may be busts and therefore wasted picks.

    I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

    @lemosley01 said:

    I think Quinn will be good and it would be foolish to give him up for anything less than a surefire contributor. It's hard to underestimate the effect a good QB will have on the entire team. I have hope he will be good but that is really only based on what I've seen him do in a very limited starting scenario (and what he says). I'm certainly no NFL talent evaluator, although I can't be as bad as many of the so-called 'experts' (Phil/RAC!)

    BUT it's just as speculative as taking draft picks for him, all of which may be busts and therefore wasted picks.

    I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

    From ESPN today: Cutler's agent is talking to the Lions for the #1 pick and a later pick. They could be willing to go with Simms or a FA and draft a franchise QB for the future. Denver may work out both Sanchez and Stafford first.

    No mention of Quinn or Cleveland.......................................

  • @lemosley01 said:

    I think Quinn will be good and it would be foolish to give him up for anything less than a surefire contributor. It's hard to underestimate the effect a good QB will have on the entire team. I have hope he will be good but that is really only based on what I've seen him do in a very limited starting scenario (and what he says). I'm certainly no NFL talent evaluator, although I can't be as bad as many of the so-called 'experts' (Phil/RAC!)

    BUT it's just as speculative as taking draft picks for him, all of which may be busts and therefore wasted picks.

    I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

    From ESPN today: Cutler's agent is talking to the Lions for the #1 pick and a later pick. They could be willing to go with Simms or a FA and draft a franchise QB for the future. Denver may work out both Sanchez and Stafford first.

    No mention of Quinn or Cleveland.......................................

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    From ESPN today: Cutler's agent is talking to the Lions for the #1 pick and a later pick. They could be willing to go with Simms or a FA and draft a franchise QB for the future. Denver may work out both Sanchez and Stafford first.

    No mention of Quinn or Cleveland.......................................

    Wow - I can't imagine giving up Cutler to go with either of those guys. Of course, if the relationship is so damaged, it may not matter.

    Next year looks like it will be a good QB class, so it may be wise of Denver to not draft a QB THIS year.

  • @ballpeen said:

    No, it doesn't look bad......but I do think some of the picks might be somewhat different.

    You have to put yourself in the Jets shoes and Denvers shoes and forget about the Browns for a moment. We know what we want and what would be fair.

    There has to be some other picks from the Jets involved.

    If Denver simply wanted Quinn, why not just come to us? They don't have to broker through NY other than we want picks, and they aren't going to give picks away to trade Cutler.

    I can't believe Denver would trade Cutler to us in a straight up deal to land Quinn. Sorry folks.....Cutler is worth way more than simply Brady Quinn...fact.....bank it.

    In all of this, if it pans out, the Jets are going to have to send Denver some picks....or, we are going to have to send Denver our high first rounder for their 1st rounder, and we get the Jets first rounder...and when thinking about that...that seems fair for this year.

    Denver would still need something from the Jets....maybe next years first rounder and this years 2nd.

    Cutler is worth more than a few picks....he will bring 3-4 picks from the Jets over time.

    So, back to us.....Denver picks 12th this year.....the Jets 17th.......so, I see it we will drop to 12th with Denver getting our selection at #5, and we pick up the Jets selection at #17.

    I make that move without much though and even less regret.

    You never know....maybe Denver will demand more this year an we will be the ones to get future considerations.

    so your ok with giving Quinn and 2nd rounder for a mid 1st.

    nmills said:

    so your ok with giving Quinn and 2nd rounder for a mid 1st.

    Geeze Mills.......no...we don't give up a 2nd.

    We end up with the 12th and 17th and a 2nd or 3rd rounder....though that 2nd or 3rd might be next year depending on what else the Jets have to give to Denver for Cutler.

    NY is the only team giving up picks...we gain a pick or two and swap a pick.