Unofficial official preseason WR thread...
-
I believe I was one of those rumbles...

Holy crapoly!!!....listening to Grossi right now and his "bold prediction" for the day is that..... 1) Pryor makes the team(apparently really looked good today)....and 2) Pryor starts a game at QB for the Browns, before Johnny does(apparently really stunk it up today)....
WOW!.....That prediction is outta left field......

-
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
-
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....
and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....
-
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....
and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....
Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....
and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....
It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.
For instance:
I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.
I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.
-
I admit I see the potential but thought his odds were/are long.....though I will say he has exceeded my expectations with his approach. I honestly thought he'd give a grudging half hearted effort and he has done just the opposite...
Doing everything right so far....here's his comments from today....
On his first day of training camp with the Browns:
“Talking to some of the vets, they said they saw a lot of positives. Obviously, there are some things that I need to work on. I’m far off right now, but I’m learning from guys like (WR)Dwayne Bowe
, guys like (WR) Brian Hartline
and all of the receiving corps. Coach has been a big help, and the quarterbacks, as well. That’s all I can do is every single day plug away and get one percent better at this position and see where it goes.”
On positive advice from veterans:
“(QB) Josh McCown
just came up to me and said, ‘Hey man, you look good. Just stay confident. You caught the ball very well. Just use your speed like you’ve been doing and everything’s going well.’ He said to just keep stacking the days. He’s a great leader, and I can relate because I played that position for five years. I just thought it was positive to get some feedback. When we get in the film room, I’ll learn even more.”
On if he has to take his former QB experience out of his persona to become a successful WR, and if he partially still wants to play QB:
“As of right now, it’s what coach Pett (Head Coach Mike Pettine) wants and Mr. (General Manager Ray) Farmer brought me in for. Coach Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo), they believe I can be an outstanding receiver if I put the time in and work hard and if I believe in myself. All I want to do whatever I can to help the Browns. I’m happy to be back in Ohio and close to Columbus. That’s it.”
On working out with successful WRs this past offseason:
“For me, learning from Randy (former NFL WR Randy Moss), he’s one of the best to ever do it. (Steelers WR) Antonio Brown, he is busting records right now in the NFL, and he’s one of my very good friends. I happen to be good friends with Randy, and (WR) Josh (Gordon), as well, he’s a phenomenal power. Having those guys and even seeing (Buccaneers WR) Mike Evans, with their size, besides Antonio, to see how they’re getting out of their cuts, they can help me because I can kind of see it. I learn on the field and I watch visually on the field. When those are big guys 6-5, 6-4 like myself and I see them doing that, it helps out a lot, especially from All-Pros and a Hall of Fame guy. It helps out a lot.”
On facing the challenge of transitioning to WR:
“I wake up every day blessed. I say my prayers to God and I think about my son. At the end of the day, I know if I have those two beliefs and love, I can do anything I want. It’s just going to be the extra work and the effort and really pushing forward. I think we can all attain our goals, but it’s the effort and how we go about that task. I’m very happy to be here because these guys in the locker room are phenomenal. I think it’s great chemistry, and I love being here.”
On his decision to transition to WR from QB:
“Things happen, you know? Whether it’s in life, there’s politics in life, there are different things that go on. Everywhere I’ve been after the Raiders, there’s been a guy that’s drafted, paid a lot of money and then they drafted a second guy. When it gets into that, you don’t really get a lot of reps. I believe to play quarterback in this league and be very successful, you have to have a lot of reps, you have to. There’s not a lot that really separates guys but reps, that experience. When I realized I’m not going to get the reps that the one is getting – it’s impossible for me to do – so why not just use my ability that God gave me. That’s kind of how I did it. Mr. Farmer and Coach Flip, when I came and talked to them, they were excited and said there’s different ways they can use me. We’ll see how it goes.” -
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....
and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....
Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....
and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....
Josh Cribbs Part Deux? Why not?
-
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
Credit to you... you were there early. I was not there until the roster thread prompted a look at the benefits of a WR/QB.
Now here's a question: Can learning the passing game from the perspective of a WR make a QB better?
-
yep...Pryor had another very good day....hasn't dropped a pass yet......running with the 2's....def kind of the talk of camp so far
He finally did go against Joe Haden and pretty much got schooled.....didnt get open.....0-0...
yep...Pryor had another very good day....hasn't dropped a pass yet......running with the 2's....def kind of the talk of camp so far
He finally did go against Joe Haden and pretty much got schooled.....didnt get open.....0-0...
Not surprising that Joe was able to blanket a tall, lanky, long-striding newb... look what he's done to tall, lanky, long-striding, vet #1's.
-
Can you imagine what this team would be like with Terrelle Pryor, Josh Gordon, Charles Johnson and Taylor Gabriel out there?
By the way...in case you haven't heard, Charles Johnson is poised to tear it up this year. Reports out of Minnesota are that he's destroying it and is a solid contender for the #1 spot.
Just going to leave this here: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30091&hl=%22charles+johnson%22
-
If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.
Credit to you... you were there early. I was not there until the roster thread prompted a look at the benefits of a WR/QB.
Now here's a question: Can learning the passing game from the perspective of a WR make a QB better?
Credit to you... you were there early. I was not there until the roster thread prompted a look at the benefits of a WR/QB.
Now here's a question: Can learning the passing game from the perspective of a WR make a QB better?
I don't know that receiver experience makes you a better QB (it probably does), but I think having QB experience does make you a better receiver. See: Tannehill, Ryan in 2009 and early 2010. He knew exactly where the QB would be looking and where he was comfortable throwing to. As far as navigating the field and the defense, he was top-notch the first second he lined up outside. The route running, catching, etc. had to be learned.
-
Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....
and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....
It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.
For instance:
I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.
I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.
It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.
For instance:
I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.
I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.
TCPO, I thought you had some really interesting posts about our WR Corps, adding size to our red zone and what Pryor could potentially add to the position overall. I bet he can still run close to a 4.37 he was rumored to run once upon a time especially if he's training to play WR so that doesn't suck working in tandem with 6'4" (or as Gipper would say don't rule out 6'5"). I swim against the current about Travis Benjamin a little because I saw massive improvement in his receiving skills in the form of 17.4 ypc and where that ranks in the league as well as leading our WR Corps in TD receptions in part time work. All 3 of those were in the red zone, compared to previous years where he had to beat someone over the top with 4.3 speed. Every time we needed a clutch play in 2015 - he didn't remind us of Greg Scissorhands Little. He caught the freakin ball and and our chances to win lived another down (ie; the comeback in TN). My guess is that his psychological healing 2 years post surgery will get him back closer to the elite return guy we saw (pre-injury) in 2013. That might REALLY mean something if our STs coach ever has our return team understanding you can't block guys from behind.
I don't know who the final spot will go to per say. I used to think it might be between Benjamin and Pryor. However, it could end up being between Hartline and Benjamin. All of the WRs we added this offseason to strengthen our red zone and add size to our perimeter tells me we're keeping more than 5 this time around. Not only that, but wouldn't we have kept 6 last year IF Gordon & Miles could stay healthy/unsuspended at the same time?
This might be our 6:
Bowe
Hawkins
Gabriel
Mayle
Pryor
Benjamin or Hartline (whoever can apply to more situations is your winner here)
-
I like Benjamin too Flugs, but he sure does seem like a solid candidate to get cut.
-
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
-
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
I could see it.
-
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
I could see it.
I could see it.
Do tell?
-
They're both average and I could see Benjamin being slightly better for the reasons Flug cited.
-
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
I could see it.
I could see it.
Yep...me too.....as stated in post #1 of this thread.....I see him as a possible Nate Burleson - part deux....
I guess it boils down to upside vs production......and, IF, Mayle and Pryor show at least equal production to Hartline, Id think the younger players upside will buy them roster spots......
Benji.....not so sure where he falls.....but still have him on the bubble........sharing space with Hartline....
maybe they'll have to just keep more than 5 this year....
-
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
I have nothing against Benjamin, but to suggest that he could steal a spot from hartline strikes me as sheer lunacy.
LOL! If you think that's bad - I was previously picking Benjamin over Pryor like I was starring in a "Just Say No" commercial. I've definitely worn my village idiot hat way more than I wanted to Royce. That said, an unproven 5'11" 202 lb rookie (Jarvis Landry) just took over Hartline's job in Miami regardless of excuses or scheme changes. Does that really happen if they see a gotta-have talent they needed to keep starting? No.
Where I was coming from is best football ahead vrs best football in the rear view mirror. As recently as 2014, what player averaged 17.4 ypc? What one led his WR Corps in TD receptions in 2014? The only question I have about Benjamin is will his mental block in the return game exceed 2 years post surgery or will it disappear so we have an elite return guy in him as well? If he returns to form, I've just given you examples of why you invest time in a player you draft. Now that he's showing us the exchange value of that, we cut him? Strange timing IMO.
Benjamin used to be a guy that could only run straight ahead over-the-top routes (as well as drags and banana routes) hoping our passers could hit his 4.3 forty speed in stride. If you watched our season in review, he was catching out routes on the sidelines and finding soft spots in red zones (also new/improved) for critical TD receptions in close games with Pittsburgh and TN. He also catches the ball in key situations. A lot of people are confining their analysis of Benjamin to their first impressions. Aside from that, he's not from Ohio and didn't play at Ohio State so I know what guy will recruit more favor. Pettine's first impression of Benjamin on a night we lost Hoyer for the rest of the 2013 season - was a punt return for a TD. When your counting on Brandon Weeden to get you over a deficit, that kind of thing comes in handy.
I don't think Benjamin and Hartline will play the same exact WR role; so who will Hartline oust out of a similar role here: Pryor? Bowe? Hawkins? Gabriel? Maybe he makes Mayle a practice squad guy - who would remain there as long as Charles Johnson did. I'm getting the impression Hartline is competing with Gabriel for reps in a similar role (where his height might win him red zone favor). I run hot and cold with Hartline but now that the position seems a lot more deep - I don't think he's as automatic as I did at first. Why is Nurse Ratchid at my door? This ain't good - I gotta go.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
