Which receivers make this team?
-
Slip by??? Moi??? Hang with me a sec...
I think there's a fascination factor with Pryor that gets him to the 53. I am not saying he is our #3 WR, just saying he's the 3rd lock I see as of now.
Last year Austin and Hawk were our starting WRs. Who are our starting two WRs for 2015? I think you may agree it's Bowe and Hart. If you do, then already Hawk, our top WR from a year ago, is #3 at best.
Who is the third WR? Another possession receiver, like Hart, or something we've yet to put on the field, a true burner? I think the latter and two candidates emerge, Benji and Gabe. Of these two Gabe is the one that seems to be able to get deep.
If I am right, then we are now considering who is our #4 WR. Maybe that does go to a 29-yo veteran who had more starts and nearly as many yards in 2014 than he had in his previous 3 years in the league. Or maybe it goes to a younger candidate. Not saying it'll happen, but it's possible.
None of my top seven would make it to the PS even if eligible. Of my top seven Hawk and Benji stand out both as exposed and having decent trade value. Hawk has more to my mind. Personally I think it's Benji that's still more likely to depart, but it could hinge on who is the more highly regarded locker-room guy.
But it is still early. Still time for one of the kids to continue to impress and make the decisions even harder.
Slip by??? Moi??? Hang with me a sec...
I think there's a fascination factor with Pryor that gets him to the 53. I am not saying he is our #3 WR, just saying he's the 3rd lock I see as of now.
Last year Austin and Hawk were our starting WRs. Who are our starting two WRs for 2015? I think you may agree it's Bowe and Hart. If you do, then already Hawk, our top WR from a year ago, is #3 at best.
Who is the third WR? Another possession receiver, like Hart, or something we've yet to put on the field, a true burner? I think the latter and two candidates emerge, Benji and Gabe. Of these two Gabe is the one that seems to be able to get deep.
If I am right, then we are now considering who is our #4 WR. Maybe that does go to a 29-yo veteran who had more starts and nearly as many yards in 2014 than he had in his previous 3 years in the league. Or maybe it goes to a younger candidate. Not saying it'll happen, but it's possible.
None of my top seven would make it to the PS even if eligible. Of my top seven Hawk and Benji stand out both as exposed and having decent trade value. Hawk has more to my mind. Personally I think it's Benji that's still more likely to depart, but it could hinge on who is the more highly regarded locker-room guy.
But it is still early. Still time for one of the kids to continue to impress and make the decisions even harder.
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So do you keep Benji who has production and special teams value, and is the only real "burner", or do you keep Pryor, who can be third QB and a hybrid, all-around playmaker ... or do you keep 7? Those are the questions.
Hawk ... not a question.
Zombo
-
Gotta agree with Zombo. Hawkins is our best skill player on offense and it ain't close yet. If the public perception of him was even half as good as he actually is then I MIGHT consider trading him but since he's so underrated, we would only be hurting ourselves.
-
Slip by??? Moi??? Hang with me a sec...
I think there's a fascination factor with Pryor that gets him to the 53. I am not saying he is our #3 WR, just saying he's the 3rd lock I see as of now.
Last year Austin and Hawk were our starting WRs. Who are our starting two WRs for 2015? I think you may agree it's Bowe and Hart. If you do, then already Hawk, our top WR from a year ago, is #3 at best.
Who is the third WR? Another possession receiver, like Hart, or something we've yet to put on the field, a true burner? I think the latter and two candidates emerge, Benji and Gabe. Of these two Gabe is the one that seems to be able to get deep.
If I am right, then we are now considering who is our #4 WR. Maybe that does go to a 29-yo veteran who had more starts and nearly as many yards in 2014 than he had in his previous 3 years in the league. Or maybe it goes to a younger candidate. Not saying it'll happen, but it's possible.
None of my top seven would make it to the PS even if eligible. Of my top seven Hawk and Benji stand out both as exposed and having decent trade value. Hawk has more to my mind. Personally I think it's Benji that's still more likely to depart, but it could hinge on who is the more highly regarded locker-room guy.
But it is still early. Still time for one of the kids to continue to impress and make the decisions even harder.
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So do you keep Benji who has production and special teams value, and is the only real "burner", or do you keep Pryor, who can be third QB and a hybrid, all-around playmaker ... or do you keep 7? Those are the questions.
Hawk ... not a question.
Zombo
Hawk is not a question. Mayle having a roster spot? Definitely a question in my mind.Zombo said:
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So do you keep Benji who has production and special teams value, and is the only real "burner", or do you keep Pryor, who can be third QB and a hybrid, all-around playmaker ... or do you keep 7? Those are the questions.
Hawk ... not a question.
Zombo
-
Hawk is not a question. Mayle having a roster spot? Definitely a question in my mind.Zombo said:
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So do you keep Benji who has production and special teams value, and is the only real "burner", or do you keep Pryor, who can be third QB and a hybrid, all-around playmaker ... or do you keep 7? Those are the questions.
Hawk ... not a question.
Zombo
Hawk is not a question. Mayle having a roster spot? Definitely a question in my mind.
4th round pick, and reports are that he is coming on in camp. He either makes the roster or comes up "injured", they are not exposing him to the rest of the league.
Zombo
-
Slip by??? Moi??? Hang with me a sec...
I think there's a fascination factor with Pryor that gets him to the 53. I am not saying he is our #3 WR, just saying he's the 3rd lock I see as of now.
Last year Austin and Hawk were our starting WRs. Who are our starting two WRs for 2015? I think you may agree it's Bowe and Hart. If you do, then already Hawk, our top WR from a year ago, is #3 at best.
Who is the third WR? Another possession receiver, like Hart, or something we've yet to put on the field, a true burner? I think the latter and two candidates emerge, Benji and Gabe. Of these two Gabe is the one that seems to be able to get deep.
If I am right, then we are now considering who is our #4 WR. Maybe that does go to a 29-yo veteran who had more starts and nearly as many yards in 2014 than he had in his previous 3 years in the league. Or maybe it goes to a younger candidate. Not saying it'll happen, but it's possible.
None of my top seven would make it to the PS even if eligible. Of my top seven Hawk and Benji stand out both as exposed and having decent trade value. Hawk has more to my mind. Personally I think it's Benji that's still more likely to depart, but it could hinge on who is the more highly regarded locker-room guy.
But it is still early. Still time for one of the kids to continue to impress and make the decisions even harder.
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So do you keep Benji who has production and special teams value, and is the only real "burner", or do you keep Pryor, who can be third QB and a hybrid, all-around playmaker ... or do you keep 7? Those are the questions.
Hawk ... not a question.
Zombo
Zombo said:
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So Bowe and Hawk are your starters. May well be, but not hearing a lot of chemistry talk about McCown and Hawk.
Gotta agree with Zombo. Hawkins is our best skill player on offense and it ain't close yet. If the public perception of him was even half as good as he actually is then I MIGHT consider trading him but since he's so underrated, we would only be hurting ourselves.
I was not aware that the public sets trade values...
-
Zombo said:
Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.
Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.
Vince Mayle has a roster spot.
So Bowe and Hawk are your starters. May well be, but not hearing a lot of chemistry talk about McCown and Hawk.
Gotta agree with Zombo. Hawkins is our best skill player on offense and it ain't close yet. If the public perception of him was even half as good as he actually is then I MIGHT consider trading him but since he's so underrated, we would only be hurting ourselves.
I was not aware that the public sets trade values...
So Bowe and Hawk are your starters. May well be, but not hearing a lot of chemistry talk about McCown and Hawk.
You may have your ear closer to the ground than I do, but I certainly envision Bowe on one side, Hawkins on the other, and then moving inside when Hartline comes in on passing downs. I'm over-simplifying, but those are my top 3 receivers, it would surprise me if it is any different, although Gabe and Benji should get some balls.
If they want Pryor on the roster, someone (Mayle) will come up injured or there is a surprise cut (Benji) ... not the Hawk. Browns love that guy, I'm sure McCown will too.
Zombo
-
Well.....Wr is really unfolding as a wide open competition....and a very difficult set of decisions for the staff....
looks like Benji has really stepped up so far....kudos to you guys who stood with him, as I had him outta here...
Hartline also has really shown up the past week or 2 and has totally convinced me he isnt the next Nate Burleson....but maybe the next Joe Jurevicius instead....
We have several UDFA/FA signings who are making waves.....Lenz, Jennings and Wynn have all flashed....
While a couple guys we were counting on(Housler, Bowe and Mayle) have struggled with drops(and injury)....
Pryor?.....a sensational week, yes....but he needs to get back on the field.......soon.....
And Marlon Moore.....showed why weve kept him to this point.....forced fumble on ST......too good to let go?
Well.....Wr is really unfolding as a wide open competition....and a very difficult set of decisions for the staff....
looks like Benji has really stepped up so far....kudos to you guys who stood with him, as I had him outta here...
Hartline also has really shown up the past week or 2 and has totally convinced me he isnt the next Nate Burleson....but maybe the next Joe Jurevicius instead....
We have several UDFA/FA signings who are making waves.....Lenz, Jennings and Wynn have all flashed....
While a couple guys we were counting on(Housler, Bowe and Mayle) have struggled with drops(and injury)....
Pryor?.....a sensational week, yes....but he needs to get back on the field.......soon.....
And Marlon Moore.....showed why weve kept him to this point.....forced fumble on ST......too good to let go?
It would seem strange if we cut the absolute best version of Travis Benjamin this franchise has invested so much time in training up to be reliable for situational football. He now can run every route in the passing tree, lead us in 17.4 yards per catch in 2014,lead us in TD receptions despite part time duty (meaning he's reliable and CATCHES the ball which is refreshing on this franchise). My favorite change is what we saw on the TD reception - an experienced/trained vet adjusted to a coverage leverage and made a clutch catch in the red zone.
He's also going to return punts again, which was the very first impression Mike Pettine had of him (while coaching Buffalo) returning a punt for a score in a game we erased a deficit without our starting QB. It's 2 years post surgery, so I doubt we have to keep playing Russian Roulette with that like we had to last year.
What makes this tough for us fans is we don't see who the coaches are seeing every day in practice and again in the film room. Guys nursing bad hammies are allowing guys like Benjamin and Mayle to make a serious run at making this football team. When Pettine announces he likes to see hard work rewarded by good performance - that hasn't been exclusive to Manziel. He's talking a lot of Benjamin and I guarantee his night vrs Washington didn't hurt that whatsoever.
Here's my 6 this week:
Hartline: leaving us no choice but feeling like he is needed
Bowe: FA commitment with a bad hammy
Pryor: Early buzz of training camp sentenced to a bad hammy
Hawk: Great job last year and continues to sport a bust tail work ethic
Gabriel: Same goodies as Hawk with 17.3 yards per catch from the undrafted rookie who caught seemingly everything
Benjamin: Exactly why you invest time training a guy who responds to coaching. Elite speed, reliable hands, and a STs threat.
What if somebody isn't who we thought he'd be? The 30 year old Bowe (already dealing with a hammy issue) is coming off only 60 rec for 754 yards and 0 TDs on a 9-7 football team. The year before that he only had 57 rec for 673 yards and just 5 TDs in 15 games. Are we looking at the same Dwayne Bowe we used to want on our fantasy football rosters? If yes, that's good. If not - somebody with best football ahead is getting cut, IR'd or stashed on the PS as temporary as Charles Johnson was.
Overall, this sudden WR depth is a good problem to have if we don't end up getting burned keeping someone that can't stay healthy in lieu of someone that has been stepping for those that aren't healthy right now.
-
yeah i don't see the browns not trying to keep mayle. he's got gordon size and hopefully will show the org. why they drafted him. pryor is interesting but if he doesn't blow them away with some type of performance, he'll be on the outside looking in. i mean in a perfect world we could keep them all but............
-
I saw Lenz play in college many times over. Great route runner, deceptively quick off the snap as he created separation more times than not, and comes back to the ball extremely well.
-
They need Mayle, he isn't going anywhere. I suppose Bowe will be fine in a few weeks.
Duke is ready to come back as a rb/r, if he wasn't back already today.
Gabriel isn't going anywhere, either.
tough decisions to make. The Browns' practice squad is going to be
scrutinized bigtime, around the NFL.
-
Tour, they do have to deal with their own fans.
-
I wouldn't underestimate Moore making this team as well. Teams across the league covet the special teams ace and Moore has become that dude. He had a nice strip in the first game and made good plays last year. I'm intrigued by Pryor as much as anyone but I'm not as convinced as a bunch of you here that he'll be on the squad.
-
I see Pryor as the third TE to save a roster spot at WR
The odd man out to me is the TE Housler...or
We keep an extra WR (Pryor) and only two TE
Same theory different setup either way Housler
Ain't done shit and is the less paid FA...JMO
-
I see Pryor as the third TE to save a roster spot at WR
The odd man out to me is the TE Housler...or
We keep an extra WR (Pryor) and only two TE
Same theory different setup either way Housler
Ain't done shit and is the less paid FA...JMO
I see Pryor as the third TE to save a roster spot at WR
The odd man out to me is the TE Housler...or
We keep an extra WR (Pryor) and only two TE
Same theory different setup either way Housler
Ain't done shit and is the less paid FA...JMO
With the way we love using 12 personnel, I'd hope we'd keep more than two TE's.
-
Mayle is coming off an injury. It's early but I think we keep him over Pryor for sure.
Mayle has been coming on strong while Pryor was the early pleasant surprise of camp. This seems like an opportune time to take a look at some ages in here when we weigh best football ahead vrs best football behind:
Bowe 30
Hawkins 29
Hartline 28
Moore 27
Pryor 25
Benjamin 25
Gabriel 24
Lenz 24
Mayle 23
Jennings ? (undrafted rookie)
-
LOL... and we're collectively back up to about 14 WRs...
Tour, they do have to deal with their own fans.
Fair enough... but is there that big of a following for Hawk?
-
Mayle is coming off an injury. It's early but I think we keep him over Pryor for sure.
Mayle has been coming on strong while Pryor was the early pleasant surprise of camp. This seems like an opportune time to take a look at some ages in here when we weigh best football ahead vrs best football behind:
Bowe 30
Hawkins 29
Hartline 28
Moore 27
Pryor 25
Benjamin 25
Gabriel 24
Lenz 24
Mayle 23
Jennings ? (undrafted rookie)
Mayle has been coming on strong while Pryor was the early pleasant surprise of camp. This seems like an opportune time to take a look at some ages in here when we weigh best football ahead vrs best football behind:
Bowe 30
Hawkins 29
Hartline 28
Moore 27
Pryor 25
Benjamin 25
Gabriel 24
Lenz 24
Mayle 23
Jennings ? (undrafted rookie)
Bowe, Hawk, Hartline, Gabriel, Pryor, Benjamin.
Mayle to IR.
Lenz to PS?
Moore and Jennings to the street.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login