Justin Gilbert
-
These things snowball. Especially for the highly touted guys. Continually ragging on them ensures they're going to bust. That's my opinion. If fans just take a wait and see approach then you are more likely to see him succeed.
These things snowball. Especially for the highly touted guys. Continually ragging on them ensures they're going to bust. That's my opinion. If fans just take a wait and see approach then you are more likely to see him succeed.
Yep. It's the fans fault. Don't be too critical. wouldn't want a pro NFL players self esteem to suffer. No need to worry about AJ Green, Brown or Steve Smith, but those fans !
-
And maybe, just maybe that is by design? Break him down before build him up?
It's clear from the "flawless" comment that there's a reality gap. No doubt the staff has been telling him for over a year how to close it, but he's not gotten the message. Perhaps that is because he actually believes he's doing well, that he's improving. The latter being the message he has been getting from teammates.
Maybe now the approach is to let him fail big time, fail completely in situations that do not hurt the team in a last-ditch effort to try to get thru to him. Maybe even make him ask for help.
It's an approach that can't hurt...
... and it seems to be working with a certain young QB.
Wouldnt surprise me......I know Pettine and Rexy scripted most of the practice.....sooooo, maybe Rex is filling a request from his buddy....
-
These things snowball. Especially for the highly touted guys. Continually ragging on them ensures they're going to bust. That's my opinion. If fans just take a wait and see approach then you are more likely to see him succeed.
Ahhh, the poor little fella. Maybe we should all send him Valentines Day candies wrapped in a "You're doing great" ribbon.
BTW, that +1 rep on your post is from me when I accidentally hit it instead of 'quote' - you're welcome

Ahhh, the poor little fella. Maybe we should all send him Valentines Day candies wrapped in a "You're doing great" ribbon.
BTW, that +1 rep on your post is from me when I accidentally hit it instead of 'quote' - you're welcome

Nobody wants any prima donnas on their team until they turn around and see the complete dearth of talent. It's a balancing act. But at this point people just get off to saying "I told you he sucks!" to the point where he can do no right. He could put 4 straight amazing practices together in a row and they'd all be overshadowed by one screw up.
-
Ahhh, the poor little fella. Maybe we should all send him Valentines Day candies wrapped in a "You're doing great" ribbon.
BTW, that +1 rep on your post is from me when I accidentally hit it instead of 'quote' - you're welcome

Nobody wants any prima donnas on their team until they turn around and see the complete dearth of talent. It's a balancing act. But at this point people just get off to saying "I told you he sucks!" to the point where he can do no right. He could put 4 straight amazing practices together in a row and they'd all be overshadowed by one screw up.
Nobody wants any prima donnas on their team until they turn around and see the complete dearth of talent. It's a balancing act. But at this point people just get off to saying "I told you he sucks!" to the point where he can do no right. He could put 4 straight amazing practices together in a row and they'd all be overshadowed by one screw up.
This post will be valid when he puts 4 straight amazing practices together.
-
And maybe, just maybe that is by design? Break him down before build him up?
It's clear from the "flawless" comment that there's a reality gap. No doubt the staff has been telling him for over a year how to close it, but he's not gotten the message. Perhaps that is because he actually believes he's doing well, that he's improving. The latter being the message he has been getting from teammates.
Maybe now the approach is to let him fail big time, fail completely in situations that do not hurt the team in a last-ditch effort to try to get thru to him. Maybe even make him ask for help.
It's an approach that can't hurt...
... and it seems to be working with a certain young QB.
Wouldnt surprise me......I know Pettine and Rexy scripted most of the practice.....sooooo, maybe Rex is filling a request from his buddy....
Wouldnt surprise me......I know Pettine and Rexy scripted most of the practice.....sooooo, maybe Rex is filling a request from his buddy....
I like the thought of that and, if it is indeed the case, it would put Rex Ryan near the top of my list when it comes to great coaches and individuals.
I don't see that Rex has to necessarily any credit if what I hypothesized is anywhere near the truth. O'Neal just has to keep strength on the field opposite Gilbert and put Gilbert on "an island" with his play calls. Even Cassell and Tyrod should be able to find him...
Plus I am loathe to give Rexy credit for anything... ever... so there's that.
-
These things snowball. Especially for the highly touted guys. Continually ragging on them ensures they're going to bust. That's my opinion. If fans just take a wait and see approach then you are more likely to see him succeed.
Yep. It's the fans fault. Don't be too critical. wouldn't want a pro NFL players self esteem to suffer. No need to worry about AJ Green, Brown or Steve Smith, but those fans !
Yep. It's the fans fault. Don't be too critical. wouldn't want a pro NFL players self esteem to suffer. No need to worry about AJ Green, Brown or Steve Smith, but those fans !
Unrelentingly tell those guys they suck for a year straight and see if they perform the way they do.
-
Nobody wants any prima donnas on their team until they turn around and see the complete dearth of talent. It's a balancing act. But at this point people just get off to saying "I told you he sucks!" to the point where he can do no right. He could put 4 straight amazing practices together in a row and they'd all be overshadowed by one screw up.
This post will be valid when he puts 4 straight amazing practices together.
This post will be valid when he puts 4 straight amazing practices together.
You wouldn't hear about it if he did.
-
This post will be valid when he puts 4 straight amazing practices together.
You wouldn't hear about it if he did.
You wouldn't hear about it if he did.
I would, just like everyone else here.
Because you'd tell us.
-
Hip Flexor.
We sure are going to be short-handed Thursday night.
Justin Gilbert injured early in final Browns-Bills practicePosted by Zac Jackson on August 18, 2015, 7:12 PM EDT
Getty ImagesSecond-year Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert had quite a day Monday when the Browns and Bills held a joint practice in Rochester.
Tuesday, he had a much shorter day. Gilbert left early in the teams’ final joint practice session after going down and needing an assist from team trainers to get up and head to the sideline.
Trainers placed ice and a protective wrap on Gilbert’s right quad, and he watched the rest of practice from the sideline. After practice Browns coach Mike Pettine told reporters Gilbert suffered a hip flexor.
The Browns were hoping Gilbert, the No. 8 pick in the 2014 draft, would bounce back from a lost rookie season, but he’s struggled in camp and in last week’s preseason opener. The Browns spent $7 million for this season to bring in veteran cornerbackTramon Williams in case Gilbert didn’t catch on quickly, and though it’s early, that looks like a sound decision.
If his injury lingers, the Browns will likely be really short on cornerbacks Thursday when the Browns and Bills play a preseason game in Cleveland. Joe Haden andPierre Desir, a 2014 fourth-rounder, sat out both practices with the Bills, and second-year nickelback K’Waun Williams also sat out Tuesday.
-
Zombo said:
Just read a tweet that he went down in pain in end zone tonight. Hope he is alright.
Z
I heard it was a vaginal strain.
-
You wouldn't hear about it if he did.
I would, just like everyone else here.
Because you'd tell us.
I would, just like everyone else here.
Because you'd tell us.
How would I know? I'm counting on the same idiot reporters that want their initial "waste of a first round pick!!!" analysis vindicated so they underreport any good days he has.
-
Yes, we all know the world is out to get Gilbert. You are letting your "lil Johnny is so mistreated" complex bleed out on to Gilbert.
-
Yes, we all know the world is out to get Gilbert. You are letting your "lil Johnny is so mistreated" complex bleed out on to Gilbert.
Yes, we all know the world is out to get Gilbert. You are letting your "lil Johnny is so mistreated" complex bleed out on to Gilbert.
I'm with War on this. Fan negativity can be devastating to a player. I have not been a Fan of Gilbert, but bashing the young man is not helping him OR the Browns. As I've said before, I will support any & alll Browns' players & I'm hoping he succeeds here.
We'll see, but I refuse to sabotage any chance the young man may have. He is a Brown.
Mike
-
Hip Flexor.
We sure are going to be short-handed Thursday night.
Justin Gilbert injured early in final Browns-Bills practicePosted by Zac Jackson on August 18, 2015, 7:12 PM EDT
Getty ImagesSecond-year Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert had quite a day Monday when the Browns and Bills held a joint practice in Rochester.
Tuesday, he had a much shorter day. Gilbert left early in the teams’ final joint practice session after going down and needing an assist from team trainers to get up and head to the sideline.
Trainers placed ice and a protective wrap on Gilbert’s right quad, and he watched the rest of practice from the sideline. After practice Browns coach Mike Pettine told reporters Gilbert suffered a hip flexor.
The Browns were hoping Gilbert, the No. 8 pick in the 2014 draft, would bounce back from a lost rookie season, but he’s struggled in camp and in last week’s preseason opener. The Browns spent $7 million for this season to bring in veteran cornerbackTramon Williams in case Gilbert didn’t catch on quickly, and though it’s early, that looks like a sound decision.
If his injury lingers, the Browns will likely be really short on cornerbacks Thursday when the Browns and Bills play a preseason game in Cleveland. Joe Haden andPierre Desir, a 2014 fourth-rounder, sat out both practices with the Bills, and second-year nickelback K’Waun Williams also sat out Tuesday.
Zombo said:
Hip Flexor.
We sure are going to be short-handed Thursday night.
Justin Gilbert injured early in final Browns-Bills practice
Posted by Zac Jackson on August 18, 2015, 7:12 PM EDT
Getty Images[/size]Second-year Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert had quite a day Monday when the Browns and Bills held a joint practice in Rochester.
Tuesday, he had a much shorter day. Gilbert left early in the teams final joint practice session after going down and needing an assist from team trainers to get up and head to the sideline.
Trainers placed ice and a protective wrap on Gilberts right quad, and he watched the rest of practice from the sideline. After practice Browns coach Mike Pettine told reporters Gilbert suffered a hip flexor.
I am not sure that's Atomic Baum I smell...
-
Zombo said:
Just read a tweet that he went down in pain in end zone tonight. Hope he is alright.
Z
I heard it was a vaginal strain.
-
Don't know that I've ever said he was mistreated. CM nailed it.
-
Yes, we all know the world is out to get Gilbert. You are letting your "lil Johnny is so mistreated" complex bleed out on to Gilbert.
I'm with War on this. Fan negativity can be devastating to a player. I have not been a Fan of Gilbert, but bashing the young man is not helping him OR the Browns. As I've said before, I will support any & alll Browns' players & I'm hoping he succeeds here.
We'll see, but I refuse to sabotage any chance the young man may have. He is a Brown.
Mike
I'm with War on this. Fan negativity can be devastating to a player. I have not been a Fan of Gilbert, but bashing the young man is not helping him OR the Browns. As I've said before, I will support any & alll Browns' players & I'm hoping he succeeds here.
We'll see, but I refuse to sabotage any chance the young man may have. He is a Brown.
Mike
If he can't hack hearing bad things about him from people on twitter or some boob like Mary Kay then maybe professional sports aren't for him. Everyone wants him to do well but they aren't going to sugar coat when he is playing awful.
-
Yep. It's the fans fault. Don't be too critical. wouldn't want a pro NFL players self esteem to suffer. No need to worry about AJ Green, Brown or Steve Smith, but those fans !
Unrelentingly tell those guys they suck for a year straight and see if they perform the way they do.
Unrelentingly tell those guys they suck for a year straight and see If they perform the way they do.
A wise coach once told me, " YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN CONFIDENCE".
-
Yeah, but players are still human, and a few? have wavering confidence levels out of college, when
they hit the pros.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
