Skip to content

2015 Pre-season Game 3 @ Tampa Bay

The Browns Board
74 34 3.7k
  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Didn't have a chance to watch, did Shelton improve?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    It may be preseason, but the first 3/4 of the 3rd game are always the dress rehearsal for the season to come. I was impressed with our lines both sides of the ball. Looked like gang tackling and gang blocking all the way around. And Crowell made his statement to be the GUY at RB. McCown will not make it through the season taking hits like that. JM better keep getting better because we're gonna need him. And Lenz needs to be one of the 53. And I am no longer worried about the back end regardless of whether Gilbert ever shows up. They played lights out.

    And I don't care if it as not a great team we were playing. Point is we were doing what we want to do and dictated the outcome from the beginning.

  • Didn't have a chance to watch, did Shelton improve?

    B blowe wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @baconhound said:

    Didn't have a chance to watch, did Shelton improve?

    Shelton did not stand out like he did in weeks 1 and 2 but I that goes for good and bad not standing out. Not bad for a rookie if you don't see those rookie mistakes.

    Can't say for certain but I think he was getting doubled almost all game long.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Morning! Just finished watching my 0500 recording of the game...

    Overwhelming impression is that I saw our schemes win this game. Especially true on D where it was nice to see free blitzers being created, but true of all facets of the game.

    Other impressions... D-side first:

    • Krugs looks quick... don't remember the burst off the line he is showing this year.
    • D. Bryant owned Marpet... Ali needs to block with his head up.
    • There are 9 DBs on this roster that I'd prefer to keep over Gilbert.

    O-side:

    • Our two remaining QBs were playing with the abandon of 4th and 5th backups... not meant as a compliment.
    • It was obvious which WRs Josh is comfortable with... Hart, Gabe and Benji.... there's 3... Bowe not being one is understandable, but Hawk?
    • Benji looks reborn.
    • Crow starts and ??? Can Duke stay healthy?
    • Same starting five O-line as last year... I believe I had that one.
    • Bibbs has to be on this team.
  • be ready for a boring dink and dunk passing game this season. BORRRRRRING.

    The defense might be the most exciting aspect of our games this year.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @soju said:

    be ready for a boring dink and dunk passing game this season. BORRRRRRING.

    The defense might be the most exciting aspect of our games this year.

    You need a new hobby if scoring 31 points bothered you that much. If we opened up the playbook, you'd be the sour puss in here changing your tampon to "Big deal - it's only preseason vrs TB."

    We used to have a guy like you in our fraternity house. Any time any one of us had a bad day, we'd go visit this one guy (Andy) in the basement to hear how much worse his day was. It always seemed to leave us feeling like our day wasn't so bad after all.

  • @baconhound said:

    Didn't have a chance to watch, did Shelton improve?

    Shelton did not stand out like he did in weeks 1 and 2 but I that goes for good and bad not standing out. Not bad for a rookie if you don't see those rookie mistakes.

    Can't say for certain but I think he was getting doubled almost all game long.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @blowe said:

    Shelton did not stand out like he did in weeks 1 and 2 but I that goes for good and bad not standing out. Not bad for a rookie if you don't see those rookie mistakes.

    Can't say for certain but I think he was getting doubled almost all game long.

    It looks to me like he won't be the pass rushing force he was at Washington (maybe he will if we really limit his snaps), but we drafted him to stop the run. Pass rushing was just gravy so if he can't do it at this level we probably still would have drafted him. Anyone else see the same?

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #43

    Flugs, what were you in?

    I think it's time for another "guess the 53" thread. I love those.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Tour, I'm pissed about Hawkins too (or maybe not too, whatever). I will hope it's just a preseason thing and not indicative of an actual lack of chemistry (or schemes that don't favor the slot).

  • Preseason is as meaningful as wiping your ass before you shit.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @roycerolls said:

    Preseason is as meaningful as wiping your ass before you shit.

    From a wins and losses standpoint, I agree Royce. I don't think any of us are watching the games to take inventory of wins and rightfully so.

    However, guys are trying to win roster spots, starting jobs, or situational roles so these games provide our coaching staff with good stuff to evaluate. Guys still have to block or win at the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. Guys have to tackle or cover people. They have to get open and catch the ball. This stuff does count; and it's nice that certain schemes aren't smoke and mirroring any red flags from certain guys. Sometimes the vanilla or putting a player in adverse situations can tell a staff a lot about what certain individuals are made of.

    While our proven starters don't have as much to prove per say, there's a lot of guys that do have to prove themselves on a roster that looks way tougher to make in 2015. Even our rookie OC, could use the practice not only calling the plays but getting them in there quick enough to keep us orderly and efficient out there. It's fun to watch what Danny Shelton and other promising guys are projecting in the near future.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    TB had 3 days to prepare. We had 10 days to prep, not that means anything in preseason but we finally start to see our formula to win some games with a tough schedule. Win games up front on offense and defensive lines, don't turn the ball over and create turnovers. Run the ball and run the Clock. Josh Mc Cown is showing this team he is one tough Bitch and has got his teammates on his side on both sides of the ball, but his pocket breaking down skills still is hard to watch and very troublesome. No wonder we dink and dunk and when that gets shut down we maybe screwed such as Hoyer was?

  • @soju said:

    be ready for a boring dink and dunk passing game this season. BORRRRRRING.

    The defense might be the most exciting aspect of our games this year.

    You need a new hobby if scoring 31 points bothered you that much. If we opened up the playbook, you'd be the sour puss in here changing your tampon to "Big deal - it's only preseason vrs TB."

    We used to have a guy like you in our fraternity house. Any time any one of us had a bad day, we'd go visit this one guy (Andy) in the basement to hear how much worse his day was. It always seemed to leave us feeling like our day wasn't so bad after all.

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @flugel said:

    You need a new hobby if scoring 31 points bothered you that much. If we opened up the playbook, you'd be the sour puss in here changing your tampon to "Big deal - it's only preseason vrs TB."

    We used to have a guy like you in our fraternity house. Any time any one of us had a bad day, we'd go visit this one guy (Andy) in the basement to hear how much worse his day was. It always seemed to leave us feeling like our day wasn't so bad after all.

    I am still really bummed about the 31 points. Well, technically the offense ONLY scored 24 ya know. This blows........ 😁

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #48

    I think our OL being the vets (or just elite players in Bitonio's case) they are know exactly when they can loaf and when not. They know that in the dress rehearsal game they have to do it right. OL is the most brutal position on the field besides maybe RB (and those guys still rotate) and most OL (especially ours) have very calm demeanors. I simply don't think they feel like putting in all the effort required to beat Buffalo's DL for absolutely zero benefit. There's just no justification for them.

    And I don't mean that as a knock. Just saying don't worry about a group of vets on the OL seemingly "struggling" (I'm referring to the Buffalo game). They know what they're doing.

  • @blowe said:

    Shelton did not stand out like he did in weeks 1 and 2 but I that goes for good and bad not standing out. Not bad for a rookie if you don't see those rookie mistakes.

    Can't say for certain but I think he was getting doubled almost all game long.

    It looks to me like he won't be the pass rushing force he was at Washington (maybe he will if we really limit his snaps), but we drafted him to stop the run. Pass rushing was just gravy so if he can't do it at this level we probably still would have drafted him. Anyone else see the same?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #49

    @wargograw said:

    It looks to me like he won't be the pass rushing force he was at Washington (maybe he will if we really limit his snaps), but we drafted him to stop the run. Pass rushing was just gravy so if he can't do it at this level we probably still would have drafted him. Anyone else see the same?

    Shelton last night was only used as a run stopper last night. He was over penetrating RB's the 1st 2 games but last night he was holding up block and chopping down RB's in the hole. This guy is going to be something when he can Rush QB and still look for ball carrier at same speed.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #50

    Shelton is amazing. He helped make a tackle of a rb...at the sideline. That's scary intensity, folks.

    He was great last night - I don't see any criticism of him at all. You just wait til regular season - what he

    does will get even more appreciation.

  • @blowe said:

    Shelton did not stand out like he did in weeks 1 and 2 but I that goes for good and bad not standing out. Not bad for a rookie if you don't see those rookie mistakes.

    Can't say for certain but I think he was getting doubled almost all game long.

    It looks to me like he won't be the pass rushing force he was at Washington (maybe he will if we really limit his snaps), but we drafted him to stop the run. Pass rushing was just gravy so if he can't do it at this level we probably still would have drafted him. Anyone else see the same?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @wargograw said:

    It looks to me like he won't be the pass rushing force he was at Washington (maybe he will if we really limit his snaps), but we drafted him to stop the run. Pass rushing was just gravy so if he can't do it at this level we probably still would have drafted him. Anyone else see the same?

    Saw Shelton trotting to the sideline on a few passing down and distance situations. Saw big Phil doubled on one pass rush. Would expect the same, if Shelton is in there. Just opens rush lanes for others...

    Those two are going to wear out the middle of a few O-lines this season.

    @gumby73 said:

    TB had 3 days to prepare. We had 10 days to prep, not that means anything in preseason but we finally start to see our formula to win some games with a tough schedule. Win games up front on offense and defensive lines, don't turn the ball over and create turnovers. Run the ball and run the Clock. Josh Mc Cown is showing this team he is one tough Bitch and has got his teammates on his side on both sides of the ball, but his pocket breaking down skills still is hard to watch and very troublesome. No wonder we dink and dunk and when that gets shut down we maybe screwed such as Hoyer was?

    The prep time difference is a bit sobering, but I doubt we started prepping before Monday to create a "normal" week for the staff. It's their dress rehearsal as well...

    Not too concerned about Josh's pocket presence. His general sense of security seemed very tied to his WR compliment for a given play. No better evidence than his "targets" of Bowe.

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #52

    I wish we could somehow send a Bowe to Carolina. Bibbs should see a lot of time at move te. Screw Gilbert being 4th rounder I'd cut my losses now.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #53

    I just finished watching the 1st half. There were some good things, some really good things and some bad things. I leave the 1st half thinking McCown took too many hits, and couple of them hard. If he wants to start all 16 games, that needs to stop.

    That being said and all things considered, we looked good in all 3 phases.

  • Flugs, what were you in?

    I think it's time for another "guess the 53" thread. I love those.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @wargograw said:

    Flugs, what were you in?

    Archie Bunker's old fraternity - Sigma Phi Epsilon.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Admittedly I wasn't able to pay too close attention to the game, I was doing a fantasy draft, drinking and shit talking.

    Did big Phil get on the field any snaps? If so, how did he hold up?

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #56

    All right. I'm all in on josh mccown. This cat can still play and our line is helping him out.