Skip to content

Matchups Browns/Jets

The Browns Board
24 12 909
  • Matchups clearly favor the Browns I think. More importantly I think our D will smother the Jets QB and lead to forced throws/interceptions. Browns O just needs to be patient until the D sets them up with the short fields.

  • Man Brandon Marshall for a 5th round pick would sure have looked better on our side of the ball....

    If Haden can stop Marshall, and the line can stop Ivory from having a big day, I feel like this is a good match up to start the season for the Browns.

  • Matchups clearly favor the Browns I think. More importantly I think our D will smother the Jets QB and lead to forced throws/interceptions. Browns O just needs to be patient until the D sets them up with the short fields.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Matchups clearly favor the Browns I think. More importantly I think our D will smother the Jets QB and lead to forced throws/interceptions. Browns O just needs to be patient until the D sets them up with the short fields.

    I am hearing that the Jets are supposed to have this awesome defense.....but I am not really seeing it.

    I guess it comes from the fact that they drafted Leonard Williams and saw the return of Revis.

    But.....is Williams better than Shelton? Both rookies. We shall see

    And is Revis really better than Haden at this point?

    Or Is he just East Coast hype because he has played in NY and Boston areas?

  • Here are the Matchups for the Browns vs. Jets. Say whom you think has the edge at each slot:

    Offense:

    QBs: Josh McCown vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick

    RBs: Isaiah Crowell/Duke Johnson vs. Chris Ivory/Bilal Powell

    TE: Gary Barnidge vs. Jeff Cumberland

    WRs: Brian Hartiline/Gabriel Taylor vs. Brandon Marshall/Jeremy Kerley

    ..........Andrew Hawkins/Travis Benjamin vs. Eric Decker/Chris Owusu

    LT: Joe Thomas vs. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

    LG: Joel Bitonio vs. James Carpenter

    😄 Alex Mack vs. Nick Mangold

    RG: John Greco vs. Willie Colon

    RT: The Schwartz vs. Breno Giacamino

    Defense:

    RDE: Randy Starks/John Hughes vs. Muhammed Wilkerson/Stephen Bowen

    NT: Danny Shelton/Jamie Meder vs. Damon Harrison/TJ Barnes

    LDE: Des. Bryant/Armonty Bryant vs. Leonard Williams/Leger Pouzable

    LOLB: Scott Solomon vs. Calvin Pace

    LILB: Karlos Dansby vs. David Harris

    RILB: Christian Kirksey vs. Demario Davis

    ROLB: Paul Kruger vs. Quinton Coples

    LCB: Joe Haden vs. Darrelle Revis

    SS: Donte Whitner vs. Calvin Pryor

    FS: Tashaun Gipson vs. Marcus Gilchrist

    RCB: Tramon Williams vs. Antonio Cromartie

    P: Andy Lee vs. Ryan Quigley

    K: Travis Coons vs. Nick Folk

    PR: Travis Benjamin vs. Jeremy Kerley

    KR: Marlon Moore vs. Chris Owusu

    @the-gipper said:

    Here are the Matchups for the Browns vs. Jets. Say whom you think has the edge at each slot:

    I will be honest....a lot of these seem a push for me...or a just "I don't really know".

    Offense:

    QBs: Josh McCown vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick.....push

    RBs: Isaiah Crowell/Duke Johnson vs. Chris Ivory/Bilal Powell push

    TE: Gary Barnidge vs. Jeff Cumberland push

    WRs: Brian Hartiline/Gabriel Taylor vs. Brandon Marshall/Jeremy Kerley

    ..........Andrew Hawkins/Travis Benjamin vs. Eric Decker/Chris Owusu

    Marshall give Jets slight edge at WR

    LT: Joe Thomas vs. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

    LG: Joel Bitonio vs. James Carpenter

    😄 Alex Mack vs. Nick Mangold very few as good as Mack...Mangold is one..push

    RG: John Greco vs. Willie Colon

    RT: The Schwartz vs. Breno Giacamino don't know

    Defense:

    RDE: Randy Starks/John Hughes vs. Muhammed Wilkerson/Stephen Bowen Isn't Wilkerson supposed to be something...or is that hype?

    NT: Danny Shelton/Jamie Meder vs. Damon Harrison/TJ Barnes

    LDE: Des. Bryant/Armonty Bryant vs. Leonard Williams/Leger Pouzable since I gave our rookie the edge, I will give their rookie the edge

    LOLB: Scott Solomon vs. Calvin Pace don't know

    LILB: Karlos Dansby vs. David Harris

    RILB: Christian Kirksey vs. Demario Davis don't know

    ROLB: Paul Kruger vs. Quinton Coples push

    LCB: Joe Haden vs. Darrelle Revis push...yes, push

    SS: Donte Whitner vs. Calvin Pryor

    FS: Tashaun Gipson vs. Marcus Gilchrist

    RCB: Tramon Williams vs. Antonio Cromartie

    P: Andy Lee vs. Ryan Quigley

    K: Travis Coons vs. Nick Folk

    PR: Travis Benjamin vs. Jeremy Kerley

    KR: Marlon Moore vs. Chris Owusu

  • Doesn't matter who matches how up that way...

    This game boils down to the 2 O-lines vs opponents' D-line. Both QBs need PA to be effective, so the team that runs will have the advantage.

    I think we have an O-line edge. It helps us that Richardson will not suit up for his one due to suspension.

  • Doesn't matter who matches how up that way...

    This game boils down to the 2 O-lines vs opponents' D-line. Both QBs need PA to be effective, so the team that runs will have the advantage.

    I think we have an O-line edge. It helps us that Richardson will not suit up for his one due to suspension.

    @tour2ma said:

    Doesn't matter who matches how up that way...

    This game boils down to the 2 O-lines vs opponents' D-line. Both QBs need PA to be effective, so the team that runs will have the advantage.

    I think we have an O-line edge. It helps us that Richardson will not suit up for his one due to suspension.

    Anything you do on here the rest of this week, I am going to piss all over it.

    You are starting to sound like my wife...."I don't care" "It doesn't matter" "It doesn't interest me" "I don't care".

    You know, I can go home and get that shit......and there at least putting up with it every once in a while I might still get laid.

  • Who gains 275 yards. total offense combined? Who wins field position? Who wins time of possession? Who wins turnover battle? = Da Browns 23-18 but it's only Wednesday.

  • This is a big game for the Browns' confidence. A road game against a team who is very similar.

    It sounds so cliche, but just don't turn the ball over. I hope the Browns play with a chip on their shoulder, the national and even local media are burying them before the season starts. I think they've improved, we'll see.

    23-14 Browns

  • @tour2ma said:

    Doesn't matter who matches how up that way...

    This game boils down to the 2 O-lines vs opponents' D-line. Both QBs need PA to be effective, so the team that runs will have the advantage.

    I think we have an O-line edge. It helps us that Richardson will not suit up for his one due to suspension.

    Anything you do on here the rest of this week, I am going to piss all over it.

    You are starting to sound like my wife...."I don't care" "It doesn't matter" "It doesn't interest me" "I don't care".

    You know, I can go home and get that shit......and there at least putting up with it every once in a while I might still get laid.

    @the-gipper said:

    Anything you do on here the rest of this week, I am going to piss all over it.

    You are starting to sound like my wife...."I don't care" "It doesn't matter" "It doesn't interest me" "I don't care".

    You know, I can go home and get that shit......and there at least putting up with it every once in a while I might still get laid.

    Why not start with my game analysis?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Anything you do on here the rest of this week, I am going to piss all over it.

    You are starting to sound like my wife...."I don't care" "It doesn't matter" "It doesn't interest me" "I don't care".

    You know, I can go home and get that shit......and there at least putting up with it every once in a while I might still get laid.

    Why not start with my game analysis?

    @tour2ma said:

    Why start with my game analysis?

    Your game analysis doesn't matter.

  • OK... If you want to compare like things how about coaching staffs?

  • I look at it as which team has the most heart. That says to me, the Browns will win.

    One advantage - is surprise. The Browns know what to expect from the Jets, the Jets

    don't know the difference in the Browns defense or offense.

    My "analysis" is, the jets will end up on their heels on defense, and be surprised at the Browns offense,

    and their qb is going to wonder "WTF" on the stunts and pressure and sacks by the Browns defense.

    I remember when I was a teen - the Buckeyes played in the Rose Bowl vs Stanford.

    All my rowdy friends and other guys knew Ohio State was going to stomp all over Stanford.

    A bunch of us were sitting around playing penny poker, etc, and I decided that Stanford was going to win.

    Well, that brought the house down, all the laughing hahaha, so I bet all of them that would bet me a dollar.

    Oh, they wanted to bet me more, but I smiled and said "I don't want to take all your money, a dollar will do".

    And playing sandlot football, our guys vs other guys, some from a local school, I made the same bet.

    The Bucks kicked off, and Jim Plunkett at qb, and Randy Vataha, a speedster, ran a reverse I think it was,

    and caught the Bucks off guard. Stanford got a FG, and the stage was set for an upset.

    And dang it, Stanford won, I won 14 bucks from 14 guys. I still caught begrudging hell. LOL.

    They wondered how I figured it, and I said "emotion". Ohio State was a powerhouse, overconfident.

    Stanford was fighting mad, and had that underdog fight going for them, and they had the talent to

    make Ohio State miserable, and figured they would.

    Woody Hayes wasn't a trick play great coach - it was the famous 3 yrds and a cloud of dust" with a

    terrific defense. But Stanford had a very good defense, and an offense that had the talent to really

    catch Ohio State completely off guard.

    And that's what happened.

    So, my analysis of the Browns-Jets game - the game is pretty even, but the Browns have the emotion

    of being underdogs with something to prove, and the talent now, to surprise the hell out of the Jets.

    Browns will win. But it's pro football, and harder to gage the emotion factor, so I'm not betting everybody a dollar this time. 😎

  • Lined up side by side like that it looks like a damn close matchup. To me this one all boils down to who gets better QB play out of their journeyman.

  • I like the Browns... I Just think we have a better roster, And just maybe, were better coached (remains to be seen). And I think Tour and Gip need a room LOL.(It must be muskrat love) . Anyway.. I like the Browns 21-17.

  • As tour said, a better way is to look at position droups - OL & RB versus their front 7, QB & receivers versus their secondary, TEs vs LBers etc.

    Our OL/Their DL - roughly a wash. Both elite. Crowell can hopefully pick up extra yards after contact, because he'll get contact early. Duke catching screens might be something for us.

    Our QB/receivers versus their secondary - we gotta hope that we catch them before they click, because they have the talent to be elite there as well.

    Their LB corps doesn't seem all that, hopefully Barnidge and Housler/Bibbs can abuse it for a ton of 8 yard gains.

    On the flip side...

    Our DL/Their OL - I'd like to give us the edge, but like with their secondary, it might take a few weeks of live action to really come together. Chris Ivory won't scare anybody.

    Our secondary vs their receivers - close. With Marshall as #1 (also yes, we should have jumped all of that for a 5th) Decker can be a #2 like in Denver. Fortunately, we have two pro-bowl calibre corners to take care of them. The don't have much outside of that - we do. Edge us, but barely. If Marshall can beat Haden, it goes the other way.

    Their TEs - Jeff Cumberland caught like 20 catches for 250 yards last year, and our LBers are actually pretty handy in coverage. Edge us.

    All told, this game will be pretty damn close if both teams schemes are around the same level (slight edge us for having an extra year on D), but home advantage might just swing it for the Jets.

  • Yep....I think the Browns and Jets are about as closely matched as teams can be. And, apparently, so do the odds makers.....

    But, like Chris said, they have the new system and coaches and we(for the first time ever) have the carry over from last season....

    I say our D shows up.....stops the Jets on the runway.....and we take the game........20-13(BROWNS) sounds good to me.....

  • OK... If you want to compare like things how about coaching staffs?

    @tour2ma said:

    OK... If you want to compare like things how about coaching staffs?

    Fair enough.

    But I will let you handle that one then....as the Jets are under a whole new regime....and other than the NY media touting Todd Bowles as the next genius I know nothing about their staff.

  • Yep....I think the Browns and Jets are about as closely matched as teams can be. And, apparently, so do the odds makers.....

    But, like Chris said, they have the new system and coaches and we(for the first time ever) have the carry over from last season....

    I say our D shows up.....stops the Jets on the runway.....and we take the game........20-13(BROWNS) sounds good to me.....

    @mudfly said:

    Yep....I think the Browns and Jets are about as closely matched as teams can be. And, apparently, so do the odds makers.....

    But, like Chris said, they have the new system and coaches and we(for the first time ever) have the carry over from last season....

    I say our D shows up.....stops the Jets on the runway.....and we take the game........20-13(BROWNS) sounds good to me.....

    I think the Jets have been made a 3 point favorite....which essentially means they see them as equal...but give the 3 pt. home field advantage to them.

  • @mudfly said:

    Yep....I think the Browns and Jets are about as closely matched as teams can be. And, apparently, so do the odds makers.....

    But, like Chris said, they have the new system and coaches and we(for the first time ever) have the carry over from last season....

    I say our D shows up.....stops the Jets on the runway.....and we take the game........20-13(BROWNS) sounds good to me.....

    I think the Jets have been made a 3 point favorite....which essentially means they see them as equal...but give the 3 pt. home field advantage to them.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think the Jets have been made a 3 point favorite....which essentially means they see them as equal...but give the 3 pt. home field advantage to them.

    Sounds familiar...

    All told, this game will be pretty damn close if both teams schemes are around the same level (slight edge us for having an extra year on D), but home advantage might just swing it for the Jets.
  • As tour said, a better way is to look at position droups - OL & RB versus their front 7, QB & receivers versus their secondary, TEs vs LBers etc.

    Our OL/Their DL - roughly a wash. Both elite. Crowell can hopefully pick up extra yards after contact, because he'll get contact early. Duke catching screens might be something for us.

    Our QB/receivers versus their secondary - we gotta hope that we catch them before they click, because they have the talent to be elite there as well.

    Their LB corps doesn't seem all that, hopefully Barnidge and Housler/Bibbs can abuse it for a ton of 8 yard gains.

    On the flip side...

    Our DL/Their OL - I'd like to give us the edge, but like with their secondary, it might take a few weeks of live action to really come together. Chris Ivory won't scare anybody.

    Our secondary vs their receivers - close. With Marshall as #1 (also yes, we should have jumped all of that for a 5th) Decker can be a #2 like in Denver. Fortunately, we have two pro-bowl calibre corners to take care of them. The don't have much outside of that - we do. Edge us, but barely. If Marshall can beat Haden, it goes the other way.

    Their TEs - Jeff Cumberland caught like 20 catches for 250 yards last year, and our LBers are actually pretty handy in coverage. Edge us.

    All told, this game will be pretty damn close if both teams schemes are around the same level (slight edge us for having an extra year on D), but home advantage might just swing it for the Jets.

    @gftchris said:

    All told, this game will be pretty damn close if both teams schemes are around the same level (slight edge us for having an extra year on D), but home advantage might just swing it for the Jets.

    @the-gipper said:

    But I will let you handle that one then....as the Jets are under a whole new regime....and other than the NY media touting Todd Bowles as the next genius I know nothing about their staff.

    And I know little more, but as pointed out salient point would be around a 1st-year, Defensive-minded HC with the team. Jets' Defensive personnel do look reasonably well suited to continue style Bowles employed in SEA, but system is new to them.

    Offensively the familiar name of Chan Gailey reappears as OC after two years out of the league. Not a name that is going to strike fear into a an opponent's heart. And again new system was just installed.

    STs see Bobby April continuing his tour of the NFL now with his 8th NFL team...

    We should have a significant coaching edge.

    There are a couple familiar Position Coaches on the Jets staff led by old friend Pepper Johnson in the D-line slot.