Someone found our old buddy...
-
I know the feeling.
-
Miller High Life is the Champagne of Beer.
-
I don't understand banning him for life to be real. People have done much worse.
Constantly insulting Mods plural- (which went on behind the scenes) was part of it.
If we let him back on, he'd be insufferable.
-
It's easy to cherry pick cities. I'm talking about generalities.
I would like to be in Houston, personally. Tremendous opportunities there.
Yes it is booming and it is Texas' blue collar city, and I assume you're into that kind of thing as an Ohioan. I like Dallas the most but I'll take either over Austin (where I'm from and live) or SA.
Now for the Gipper rebuttal....
Yes it is booming and it is Texas' blue collar city, and I assume you're into that kind of thing as an Ohioan. I like Dallas the most but I'll take either over Austin (where I'm from and live) or SA.
Now for the Gipper rebuttal....
From my purely Tourist point of view, I like SA and Austin over the others. In fact, Dallas and Houston rank on the lower end of interesting cities to visit in the entire nation.
From a "I want to live there on a permanent basis" some things seem to be to be detractors:
A. For Austin and Houston it seems the traffic is just awful in both places. Not so much for SA...it is more tolerable. I don't know about Dallas, the couple of times I was there it was tolerable. That may depend on the time of day you go through there.
B. The humidity in Houston is supposedly suffocating. If I wanted to live in a sauna, New Orleans or S. Florida would be preferable.
C. From a "making money" point of view....I don't know....I will leave that up to you who live there.
From the standpoint of ranking a whole variety of other factors, you would probably have to look at some studies that have been done......but I don't know if even you can trust those....and here is why I say that:
I read this one article that tried to compare like 12 factors of what makes a place a good place to live. I can't remember them all, but they were things like: Congestion, cost of living, crime rate, sports team success, tax rates, employment rates, reasonable real estate values, access to health care,cultural amenities, education systems, commute times....and climate.
This study compared Cleveland to San Diego.
Cleveland came out better in 11 of the 12 categories.
You know who they gave the overall choice to? San Diego, simply because they had "better" winter weather....even though it was a slam dunk is Cleveland's favor of all their criteria.
I will however shortly be able to give some info on some other Texas cities. In November I will be in SA a few days, but I will also be traveling through Abilene, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland.
The best factor you have going for you with me on living in Texas?: My daughter likes living there. So you got that going for you.
-
Austin has the worst traffic. Not only that, the entire thing is just overly dense. If it's a nice day out and you use the car wash, prepare to sit in a line for 20 minutes.
Houston is average on traffic, it's just huge so it takes forever to get anywhere. Even in a "jam" you will still be moving 60+.
-
Don't care to live in a huge metro area anymore. Can't stand the traffic, pollution, crime, cost of living, etc. Ya'll can have it.
-
Don't care to live in a huge metro area anymore. Can't stand the traffic, pollution, crime, cost of living, etc. Ya'll can have it.
Don't care to live in a huge metro area anymore. Can't stand the traffic, pollution, crime, cost of living, etc. Ya'll can have it.
Plus 1000 on that.....
-
Don't care to live in a huge metro area anymore. Can't stand the traffic, pollution, crime, cost of living, etc. Ya'll can have it.
Don't care to live in a huge metro area anymore. Can't stand the traffic, pollution, crime, cost of living, etc. Ya'll can have it.
What do you consider "huge".
-
Austin has the worst traffic. Not only that, the entire thing is just overly dense. If it's a nice day out and you use the car wash, prepare to sit in a line for 20 minutes.
Houston is average on traffic, it's just huge so it takes forever to get anywhere. Even in a "jam" you will still be moving 60+.
Austin has the worst traffic. Not only that, the entire thing is just overly dense. If it's a nice day out and you use the car wash, prepare to sit in a line for 20 minutes.
Houston is average on traffic, it's just huge so it takes forever to get anywhere. Even in a "jam" you will still be moving 60+.
Austin has become Auful. Last time I went through there on I-35, it wasn't even rush hour and it was a parking lot. However, I did get off and go around to get over to 281?....and it became much smoother sailing.
-
Houston is cosmopolitan.
Also just became nation's third largest city passing Chicago.
Great restaurants, nightlife and culture... but its too damn big and the air is too damn brown.
Houston is cosmopolitan.
Also just became nation's third largest city passing Chicago.
Great restaurants, nightlife and culture... but its too damn big and the air is too damn brown.
Not sure where you are getting that info......I have checked several sources and Chicago still has about a half million more people than Houston
-
Austin has the worst traffic. Not only that, the entire thing is just overly dense. If it's a nice day out and you use the car wash, prepare to sit in a line for 20 minutes.
Houston is average on traffic, it's just huge so it takes forever to get anywhere. Even in a "jam" you will still be moving 60+.
Austin has become Auful. Last time I went through there on I-35, it wasn't even rush hour and it was a parking lot. However, I did get off and go around to get over to 281?....and it became much smoother sailing.
Austin has become Auful. Last time I went through there on I-35, it wasn't even rush hour and it was a parking lot. However, I did get off and go around to get over to 281?....and it became much smoother sailing.
There's 290 and 183 but they wouldn't be good alts to 35. But yes, 36 I'd absolutely brutal.
-
Yes it is booming and it is Texas' blue collar city, and I assume you're into that kind of thing as an Ohioan. I like Dallas the most but I'll take either over Austin (where I'm from and live) or SA.
Now for the Gipper rebuttal....
From my purely Tourist point of view, I like SA and Austin over the others. In fact, Dallas and Houston rank on the lower end of interesting cities to visit in the entire nation.
From a "I want to live there on a permanent basis" some things seem to be to be detractors:
A. For Austin and Houston it seems the traffic is just awful in both places. Not so much for SA...it is more tolerable. I don't know about Dallas, the couple of times I was there it was tolerable. That may depend on the time of day you go through there.
B. The humidity in Houston is supposedly suffocating. If I wanted to live in a sauna, New Orleans or S. Florida would be preferable.
C. From a "making money" point of view....I don't know....I will leave that up to you who live there.
From the standpoint of ranking a whole variety of other factors, you would probably have to look at some studies that have been done......but I don't know if even you can trust those....and here is why I say that:
I read this one article that tried to compare like 12 factors of what makes a place a good place to live. I can't remember them all, but they were things like: Congestion, cost of living, crime rate, sports team success, tax rates, employment rates, reasonable real estate values, access to health care,cultural amenities, education systems, commute times....and climate.
This study compared Cleveland to San Diego.
Cleveland came out better in 11 of the 12 categories.
You know who they gave the overall choice to? San Diego, simply because they had "better" winter weather....even though it was a slam dunk is Cleveland's favor of all their criteria.
I will however shortly be able to give some info on some other Texas cities. In November I will be in SA a few days, but I will also be traveling through Abilene, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland.
The best factor you have going for you with me on living in Texas?: My daughter likes living there. So you got that going for you.
From my purely Tourist point of view, I like SA and Austin over the others. In fact, Dallas and Houston rank on the lower end of interesting cities to visit in the entire nation.
From a "I want to live there on a permanent basis" some things seem to be to be detractors:
A. For Austin and Houston it seems the traffic is just awful in both places. Not so much for SA...it is more tolerable. I don't know about Dallas, the couple of times I was there it was tolerable. That may depend on the time of day you go through there.
B. The humidity in Houston is supposedly suffocating. If I wanted to live in a sauna, New Orleans or S. Florida would be preferable.
C. From a "making money" point of view....I don't know....I will leave that up to you who live there.
From the standpoint of ranking a whole variety of other factors, you would probably have to look at some studies that have been done......but I don't know if even you can trust those....and here is why I say that:
I read this one article that tried to compare like 12 factors of what makes a place a good place to live. I can't remember them all, but they were things like: Congestion, cost of living, crime rate, sports team success, tax rates, employment rates, reasonable real estate values, access to health care,cultural amenities, education systems, commute times....and climate.
This study compared Cleveland to San Diego.
Cleveland came out better in 11 of the 12 categories.
You know who they gave the overall choice to? San Diego, simply because they had "better" winter weather....even though it was a slam dunk is Cleveland's favor of all their criteria.
I will however shortly be able to give some info on some other Texas cities. In November I will be in SA a few days, but I will also be traveling through Abilene, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland.
The best factor you have going for you with me on living in Texas?: My daughter likes living there. So you got that going for you.
A. Gotta pay the piper in some way. Bigger cities generally mean more opportunities.
B. Eh, whatever. If I wanted to live in a sauna, it better be for a damn good reason. Opportunity is that reason.
It's different mindsets from people in different stages of life. To retire there, no. But to make my nut, sure.
-
Don't care to live in a huge metro area anymore. Can't stand the traffic, pollution, crime, cost of living, etc. Ya'll can have it.
What do you consider "huge".
What do you consider "huge".
LA, NYC, DAL, HOU. I've lived in Tokyo/Yokohama, LA, NY, DC and the traffic alone is enough to make you nuts.
-
From my purely Tourist point of view, I like SA and Austin over the others. In fact, Dallas and Houston rank on the lower end of interesting cities to visit in the entire nation.
From a "I want to live there on a permanent basis" some things seem to be to be detractors:
A. For Austin and Houston it seems the traffic is just awful in both places. Not so much for SA...it is more tolerable. I don't know about Dallas, the couple of times I was there it was tolerable. That may depend on the time of day you go through there.
B. The humidity in Houston is supposedly suffocating. If I wanted to live in a sauna, New Orleans or S. Florida would be preferable.
C. From a "making money" point of view....I don't know....I will leave that up to you who live there.
From the standpoint of ranking a whole variety of other factors, you would probably have to look at some studies that have been done......but I don't know if even you can trust those....and here is why I say that:
I read this one article that tried to compare like 12 factors of what makes a place a good place to live. I can't remember them all, but they were things like: Congestion, cost of living, crime rate, sports team success, tax rates, employment rates, reasonable real estate values, access to health care,cultural amenities, education systems, commute times....and climate.
This study compared Cleveland to San Diego.
Cleveland came out better in 11 of the 12 categories.
You know who they gave the overall choice to? San Diego, simply because they had "better" winter weather....even though it was a slam dunk is Cleveland's favor of all their criteria.
I will however shortly be able to give some info on some other Texas cities. In November I will be in SA a few days, but I will also be traveling through Abilene, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland.
The best factor you have going for you with me on living in Texas?: My daughter likes living there. So you got that going for you.
A. Gotta pay the piper in some way. Bigger cities generally mean more opportunities.
B. Eh, whatever. If I wanted to live in a sauna, it better be for a damn good reason. Opportunity is that reason.
It's different mindsets from people in different stages of life. To retire there, no. But to make my nut, sure.
A. Gotta pay the piper in some way. Bigger cities generally mean more opportunities.
B. Eh, whatever. If I wanted to live in a sauna, it better be for a damn good reason. Opportunity is that reason.
It's different mindsets from people in different stages of life. To retire there, no. But to make my nut, sure.
Retirees usually like to go to warmer weather....and yea....I am a lot closer to retirement age (Only 15 months...if I would ever retire at all)
I don't know if Houston/Dallas would at all be retirement places. Austin/SA could be....in fact, if my daughter stayed there permanently it wouldn't surprise me if my wife wanted to go down there.
But her sister lives there, and at this point she wants nothing to do with her...so that is a mark against ending up there.
-
What do you consider "huge".
LA, NYC, DAL, HOU. I've lived in Tokyo/Yokohama, LA, NY, DC and the traffic alone is enough to make you nuts.
LA, NYC, DAL, HOU. I've lived in Tokyo/Yokohama, LA, NY, DC and the traffic alone is enough to make you nuts.
Yea, LA/DC are awful. Although I have driven through NYC a time or two....I wouldn't consider driving around there as a permanent resident. I would take public transportation or if visiting possibly taxis.
But then there I would want to be picked up by the Cash Cab.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login