Skip to content

On to Oakland...

The Browns Board
58 22 2.4k
  • Per Ag's Suggestion...

    Last year they came to us in late October and we put them away with 14 in the 4th to win 23-13. They scored a meaningless TD with 7 seconds left.

    Not sure why they come to us two-years in a row?

    Here were the Offensive leaders:

    Carr posted 34-54-328-1-0, McFadden(DAL) ran 12-59 and Rivera caught 7 for 83.

    Hoyer posted 19-28-275-1-0, Tate ran 15-26 and Hawk caught 7/88.

    Defensive Leaders were:

    Tuck w/ 1 sack...

    Krugs 3 sacks, Gip 1 INT, Haden-Martin-Mingo 1 FR each... in all, OAK put the ball on the ground 5 times.

    Schaub threw the INT... in their bastardized, joke of a fake FG... IIRC.

    Full game stats here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410260cle.htm

    My game notes from: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30727&hl=week

    @tour2ma said:

    O-line Grades: Week 8 vs. OAK

    Revelation of the week: Khalil Mack... in a word: WOW!

    I ended up noting which Brown(s) had the "pleasure" of blocking him on about half the plays either because it took a noteworthy block to keep him out of the play or he defeated a block to help stymie the play. He did not always win, but he won more than his share. We double-teamed Khalil often in the 2nd half. Between Mack and Moore (#55) the Raiders have the nucleus for a strong LB Corps for years to come.

    Rant of the week: Moved to:

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30734

    If you rewatch only one play this week, watch S6P5. It occurs at 11:30 of Q3. I normally do not note play times anymore, just series start times, but when I saw this play, I had to note the time. In it I saw a play that vividly demonstrates what we miss with Mack out.

    General Notes:

    • In general we did a great deal more drive blocking this week than I remember seeing. Several times Thomas and Bito combined to collapse the OAK D-line inside. Might have been opponent driven, but might have been O-line personnel driven.
    • We also appeared to run more pure Dbl-teams this week. Again, I cannot be sure if this was design or lack of getting off a "chip", but they looked purposeful.
    • OAK's front seven did their best to duplicate the JAX blitz and stunt successes... and while they did a couple times they just could not match JAX's personnel... especially on the D-line.
    • Greco was our leading puller this week with 4.
    • I noticed this week how much we were slotting Cam prior to his injury. Stuck me as a colossal waste of strength to hand fight press coverage.
    • The early sun of this late start played hell with our first "drive". I am sure it contributed to Cam's contested drop high over the middle (S1P2) and probably was a factor in Cam's drop of the low, 1st down throw on that series' 4th and last play.
    • I love watching Gabe block... maybe as much as he loves blocking...

    It's your thread now...

  • Cool post bro. Haha jk

    Whoever defense prevails will win the game.

  • More drive blocking would be nice. Hopefully a big game for Crow.

  • Excellent stuff, Tour. I love reading it.

  • Brownies win 24-17

  • Must win game, the schedule gets a lot harder (on paper at least) after this...

  • Cake walk game for JFF and his team. Browns 42, Oakland 6.

  • Cake walk game for JFF and his team. Browns 42, Oakland 6.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cake walk game for JFF and his team. Browns 42, Oakland 6.

    LOL. There is no such thing in the NFL. Use Benji as they clear out decoy and get the rest involved in the short/intermediate game with more draws to RB's and throw in some screens for a change. Ball control is the name of the game. Patience grasshoppers, patience.

    Pet has JM cleaning up his fumbles.

  • 66 points allowed the last 2 weeks, so definitely thinking we can score on these guys.......

    And very defendable weapons on O....so, thinking we can keep the scoring to a minimum.....

    This week.....the Browns run up some offense....

    Doesnt matter who our QB is......we gonna win......

    Browns 27.......Oakland 16

  • love carr and cooper but i'm feeling a blowout for the browns.

    more like 37 - 12 browns.

  • love carr and cooper but i'm feeling a blowout for the browns.

    more like 37 - 12 browns.

    @miktoxic said:

    love carr and cooper but i'm feeling a blowout for the browns.

    more like 37 - 12 browns.

    I hope so. We need to keep winning at home, steal a few on the road.

  • 66 points allowed the last 2 weeks, so definitely thinking we can score on these guys.......

    And very defendable weapons on O....so, thinking we can keep the scoring to a minimum.....

    This week.....the Browns run up some offense....

    Doesnt matter who our QB is......we gonna win......

    Browns 27.......Oakland 16

    @mudfly said:

    66 points allowed the last 2 weeks, so definitely thinking we can score on these guys.......

    I hope if they plan on starting Johnny, they allow him to make more plays. He only threw the ball (I believe 15 times) against Tennessee. That won't get it done against Oakland. Not with Amari Cooper, Khali Mack, Crabtree, etc. I still say we should start Josh McCown. Just seems to me that Johnny goes for the big play more and if teams put more guys back there, they can shut that down. Where as Josh play a more controlled offense and goes for 1st downs more.

  • OAKLAND. Feeling good about this game. Don't see a blowout, but like last year, a tight game we're in control of for the most part. one passing TD, one rushing TD and a couple of field goals should be enough. Can't rely on heaves to Benjamin every game, nor a ST TD.

  • I also think they should start McCown. Not for the fact that he is that much better for the offense (because who knows with only one drive) but I just don't think JM is quite ready to take over the ship yet. What they have done with him so far is looking like it is working, so let him learn some more and keep working on the little things that need work (Defense recognition, running through reads, etc).

  • I also think they should start McCown. Not for the fact that he is that much better for the offense (because who knows with only one drive) but I just don't think JM is quite ready to take over the ship yet. What they have done with him so far is looking like it is working, so let him learn some more and keep working on the little things that need work (Defense recognition, running through reads, etc).

    @hx214 said:

    I also think they should start McCown. Not for the fact that he is that much better for the offense (because who knows with only one drive) but I just don't think JM is quite ready to take over the ship yet. What they have done with him so far is looking like it is working, so let him learn some more and keep working on the little things that need work (Defense recognition, running through reads, etc).

    Perfect response hx214. Couldn't agree more

  • So is Joe Haden stuck with Cooper this week? Will he get a little safety help?

  • So is Joe Haden stuck with Cooper this week? Will he get a little safety help?

    @texasag1969 said:

    So is Joe Haden stuck with Cooper this week? Will he get a little safety help?

    You think Haden will need help with Cooper?
  • Certainly Cooper isn't their #1. But then again I'm not too familiar with da Raidas

  • Certainly Cooper isn't their #1. But then again I'm not too familiar with da Raidas

    @comeonman said:

    Certainly Cooper isn't their #1. But then again I'm not too familiar with da Raidas

    Pretty sure he is their #1.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    So is Joe Haden stuck with Cooper this week? Will he get a little safety help?

    You think Haden will need help with Cooper?

    @comeonman said:

    You think Haden will need help with Cooper?

    He needed help with the last tall, fast receiver he faced (Marshall), so yes we need to occasionally put a safety over the top with Cooper. I love JH but Marshall burned him badly in that game.