McCown Starts
-
Smart decision. If not for the bomb to Travis, Johnny would have been 1-4 in second half passing. That speaks to the game plan of sitting on a lead and not having complete trust in your young QB.
-
Either that or stupid ass play calling.
-
Another possible interpretation: That Pettine still sees JFF as still immature, and this is intended to lower whatever ego boost Johnny got from his first win. In essence he is saying to JFF:
"You ain't there yet kid". Its like his rehab....just because he was sober for a week does not mean he is "cured".
Johnny needs more "curing" ....in multiple senses of the term.
Why in hell would any coach want to lower a positive from getting a win with his team? I can't see that Gip. You gotta have carrots, not just sticks.
Why in hell would any coach want to lower a positive from getting a win with his team? I can't see that Gip. You gotta have carrots, not just sticks.
Maybe Pet sees that Johnny is not quite prepared either mentally or emotionally to deal with success.
Again....he probably has better insight to the situation than anyone.....so maybe he feels this is best for Johnny.
Sorry, but I still think it possible that JMZ is still in a fragile, delicate state emotionally, and that Pettine sees this as best for him.....in addition to feeling that McCown still gives the Browns the better chance to win.
Honestly, it is all speculation on our parts.
-
Our D needs to keep getting better as does our run game, and it will usually take more than 8 completions a game to win. Pet was quoted this week saying that "he was only interested in winning, and not developing Johnny". I like Pet and trust his decision, no matter which QB he starts.
During that 90yd drive, McCown looked solid as hell against what we now know is a stingy Jets D. Hopefully he can continue to perform like that, and if he does we will win a lot of games.
I won't lose a second of sleep knowing McCown is starting, while some of you will slit your wrists.
-
Going with the safer bet short term while potentially screwing themselves long term.
-
Going with the safer bet short term while potentially screwing themselves long term.
Going with the safer bet short term while potentially screwing themselves long term.
Oh? How is that?
-
-
Going with the safer bet short term while potentially screwing themselves long term.
Oh? How is that?
-
Why in hell would any coach want to lower a positive from getting a win with his team? I can't see that Gip. You gotta have carrots, not just sticks.
Maybe Pet sees that Johnny is not quite prepared either mentally or emotionally to deal with success.
Again....he probably has better insight to the situation than anyone.....so maybe he feels this is best for Johnny.
Sorry, but I still think it possible that JMZ is still in a fragile, delicate state emotionally, and that Pettine sees this as best for him.....in addition to feeling that McCown still gives the Browns the better chance to win.
Honestly, it is all speculation on our parts.
Maybe Pet sees that Johnny is not quite prepared either mentally or emotionally to deal with success.
Again....he probably has better insight to the situation than anyone
I make my living as a coach and I like to say........ Parents see the tip of the iceberg, coaches see the whole iceberg - D Bone

-
Playing McCown likely wins more games this season but he is not a young guy. Playing Johnny lets the staff know exactly what they have in him. If he does well, great. If he stinks up the joint, you know that drafting a QB is a very real possibility.
So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?
Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.
-
I'm disappointed we're sitting one of our best offensive playmakers. The fumbles were concerning, but other than that JM played a good game...
I think putting McCown is like taking the wind out of our sails. There won't be as many big plays or excitement, but McCown may play "safe" enough for us to win the way we want to... with solid D and a running game...
The only problem I see, is eventually McCown will revert back to old-McCown and start turning the ball over. Hopefully not, but I just see it happening down the road...
-
Playing McCown likely wins more games this season but he is not a young guy. Playing Johnny lets the staff know exactly what they have in him. If he does well, great. If he stinks up the joint, you know that drafting a QB is a very real possibility.
So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?
Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.
So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?
Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.
-
Bear in mind, I am still very skeptical of Johhny. He could prove me wrong but I still don't see it.
-
So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?
Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.
If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?
-
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
-
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.
If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?
If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?
For one, you would have a QB actually picked without interference from the owner. Someone they feel can actually do the job. Second, the rook would have at least a year behind McCown to learn. Hopefully a kid that doesn't spend that year being a drunk and not reading a play book.
-
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
-
Bear in mind, I am still very skeptical of Johhny. He could prove me wrong but I still don't see it.
Bear in mind, I am still very skeptical of Johhny. He could prove me wrong but I still don't see it.
Agreed. A couple lucky hail mary's doesn't do it for me, especially when fumbling seems to be an issue. JF hasn't done enough to win the starting job. When he does, I'll be a fanboy.
-
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?
Sounds yucky when said out loud

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login