Skip to content

McCown was the wrong choice

The Browns Board
58 21 2.4k
  • @baconhound said:

    There is the key, they aren't.

    Record of 1-2 after what all thought was a fairly benign opening schedule?

    I'm thinking they're pretty embarrassed right about now... even knowing now that the Jets a good and the Raiders improved... I'm pretty sure.

    @tour2ma said:

    Record of 1-2 after what all thought was a fairly benign opening schedule?

    I'm thinking they're pretty embarrassed right about now... even knowing now that the Jets a good and the Raiders improved... I'm pretty sure.

    Week 6 they'll be 1-5 or 2-4 but the home crowd will be there in full force to cheer on their hometown team. When Denver has them down 21-3 there will be some boos for Josh or Johnny but no real statement.

  • Faded said:

    Pettine is a conservative, defensive-minded coach. His idea of a perfect game would be a 40+ run, eight possession game that you win 6-3. Manziel is the antithesis of this. He is always going to be some amalgam of brilliance and dumbassery. At this point in his career, I expect the dumbassery will outweigh the brilliance by at least a little. Over time, the hope is that balance shifts the other way, and now you have a fully serviceable and electric playmaker that means you are never out of the game. We'll see.

    But, even then, I think Pettine would struggle with Manziel, and will never be comfortable with the gunslinger approach. I'm not sure Manziel can ever be the QB Pettine really wants. The debacle from last year may have left some scars, as well. I think Pettine is no idiot, and Manziel is no washout (though it's early to tell), but I think the pairing may be problematic.

    EVERY head coach in the NFL wants to win hence Jay Cutler will have a job.

  • I'm crazy about the browns, but mccown was really bad... I had fun tailgating tho

  • McCown made a good effort but it's time for Manziel to start.

  • It's not that McCown lost the job. He didn't. It's that this team has now shown over 3 games they're not nearly as good as we thought they were so playing for this year is now pointless.

    We thought you just airdrop McCown behind an elite OL, a great running game, and an elite defense, and we had a chance to make the playoffs. I still believe that's true re: McCown. Problem is it doesn't appear we have any of those 3 things.

  • Faded said:

    If they do play Manziel, though, I hope they let him throw on first or second down every once in while.

    I'll continue to be a broken record, Johnny Manziel's stats in 7 games are fucking terrible

  • McCown looked like a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.

    @texasag1969 said:

    McCown looked a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.

    Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.

    I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.

    @baconhound said:

    Tour I agree if your goal is to push the envelope and go 7-9 or 6-10 because that is the ceiling for this team. I think at some point you have to quantify what you have in Manziel then move on. Mccown can start next year with a rookie on the roster or god forbid backup for another journeyman cashing in like a Fitzpatrick.

    May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.

    Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    McCown looked a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.

    Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.

    I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.

    @baconhound said:

    Tour I agree if your goal is to push the envelope and go 7-9 or 6-10 because that is the ceiling for this team. I think at some point you have to quantify what you have in Manziel then move on. Mccown can start next year with a rookie on the roster or god forbid backup for another journeyman cashing in like a Fitzpatrick.

    May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.

    Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.

    @tour2ma said:

    Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.

    I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.

    May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.

    Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.

    Agree on that but Manziel's stats through 7 games in the NFL are horrible.

  • Faded said:

    Pettine is a conservative, defensive-minded coach. His idea of a perfect game would be a 40+ run, eight possession game that you win 6-3. Manziel is the antithesis of this. He is always going to be some amalgam of brilliance and dumbassery. At this point in his career, I expect the dumbassery will outweigh the brilliance by at least a little. Over time, the hope is that balance shifts the other way, and now you have a fully serviceable and electric playmaker that means you are never out of the game. We'll see.

    But, even then, I think Pettine would struggle with Manziel, and will never be comfortable with the gunslinger approach. I'm not sure Manziel can ever be the QB Pettine really wants. The debacle from last year may have left some scars, as well. I think Pettine is no idiot, and Manziel is no washout (though it's early to tell), but I think the pairing may be problematic.

    It feels like I wrote this... only it's better... and half as long...

  • Faded said:

    Pettine is a conservative, defensive-minded coach. His idea of a perfect game would be a 40+ run, eight possession game that you win 6-3. Manziel is the antithesis of this. He is always going to be some amalgam of brilliance and dumbassery. At this point in his career, I expect the dumbassery will outweigh the brilliance by at least a little. Over time, the hope is that balance shifts the other way, and now you have a fully serviceable and electric playmaker that means you are never out of the game. We'll see.

    But, even then, I think Pettine would struggle with Manziel, and will never be comfortable with the gunslinger approach. I'm not sure Manziel can ever be the QB Pettine really wants. The debacle from last year may have left some scars, as well. I think Pettine is no idiot, and Manziel is no washout (though it's early to tell), but I think the pairing may be problematic.

    It feels like I wrote this... only it's better... and half as long...

    @tour2ma said:

    It's like I wrote this... only it's better... and half as long...

    So Pettine wouldn't want Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Palmer? or is he afraid of the guy who completes 53% of his passes and has fumbled 5 times in 7 games?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.

    I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.

    May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.

    Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.

    Agree on that but Manziel's stats through 7 games in the NFL are horrible.

    @baconhound said:

    Agree on that but Manziel's stats through 7 games in the NFL are horrible.

    Maybe but not nearly as bad as Pettine career at trying to stop the run

  • @baconhound said:

    Agree on that but Manziel's stats through 7 games in the NFL are horrible.

    Maybe but not nearly as bad as Pettine career at trying to stop the run

    @richiswhere said:

    Maybe but not nearly as bad as Pettine career at trying to stop the run

    I thought that was Danny Shelton's job?

  • Faded said:

    If they do play Manziel, though, I hope they let him throw on first or second down every once in while.

    I'll continue to be a broken record, Johnny Manziel's stats in 7 games are fucking terrible

    @baconhound said:

    I'll continue to be a broken record, Johnny Manziel's stats in 7 games are fucking terrible

    I think you have to set aside starts prior to this year... 2014 was a boat anchor.

  • @tour2ma said:

    It's like I wrote this... only it's better... and half as long...

    So Pettine wouldn't want Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Palmer? or is he afraid of the guy who completes 53% of his passes and has fumbled 5 times in 7 games?

    @baconhound said:

    So Pettine wouldn't want Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Palmer? or is he afraid of the guy who completes 53% of his passes and has fumbled 5 times in 7 games?

    The only one of those four I would even consider put in the gunslinger category would be Brees... and I'd have to think hard on him.

    QBs can be both conservative game managers and throw a lot of passes. Brady and Rogers are definitely in that intersection IMO...

  • Sorry guys, I love the browns but starting mccown was the wrong choice.

    @bbedward said:

    Sorry guys, I love the browns but starting mccown was the wrong choice.

    DUmb post. With 36 yards rushing JFF woulda looked horrible.

  • @richiswhere said:

    Maybe but not nearly as bad as Pettine career at trying to stop the run

    I thought that was Danny Shelton's job?

    @baconhound said:

    I thought that was Danny Shelton's job?

    Pettine could have Reggie White, Randy White, Merlin Olsen, Bruce Smith, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Lawrence Taylor as his front seven and still couldn't stop the run.

  • @baconhound said:

    I'll continue to be a broken record, Johnny Manziel's stats in 7 games are fucking terrible

    I think you have to set aside starts prior to this year... 2014 was a boat anchor.

    @tour2ma said:

    I think you have to set aside starts prior to this year... 2014 was a boat anchor.

    Ok in 2015 Manziel's stats aren't good

  • @baconhound said:

    So Pettine wouldn't want Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Palmer? or is he afraid of the guy who completes 53% of his passes and has fumbled 5 times in 7 games?

    The only one of those four I would even consider put in the gunslinger category would be Brees... and I'd have to think hard on him.

    QBs can be both conservative game managers and throw a lot of passes. Brady and Rogers are definitely in that intersection IMO...

    @tour2ma said:

    The only one of those four I would even consider put in the gunslinger category would be Brees... and I'd have to think hard on him.

    QBs can be both conservative game managers and throw a lot of passes. Brady and Rogers are definitely in that intersection IMO...

    Brady has 9 double digit INT years and Rodgers just happens to be the best pure passer in the NFL but fore the sake of argument 😁 I'd say Pettine would be fine with Andrew Luck over Josh Mccown

  • It's not that McCown lost the job. He didn't. It's that this team has now shown over 3 games they're not nearly as good as we thought they were so playing for this year is now pointless.

    We thought you just airdrop McCown behind an elite OL, a great running game, and an elite defense, and we had a chance to make the playoffs. I still believe that's true re: McCown. Problem is it doesn't appear we have any of those 3 things.

    @wargograw said:

    It's not that McCown lost the job. He didn't. It's that this team has now shown over 3 games they're not nearly as good as we thought they were so playing for this year is now pointless.

    We thought you just airdrop McCown behind an elite OL, a great running game, and an elite defense, and we had a chance to make the playoffs. I still believe that's true re: McCown. Problem is it doesn't appear we have any of those 3 things.

    Could not agree more.

  • @tour2ma said:

    The only one of those four I would even consider put in the gunslinger category would be Brees... and I'd have to think hard on him.

    QBs can be both conservative game managers and throw a lot of passes. Brady and Rogers are definitely in that intersection IMO...

    Brady has 9 double digit INT years and Rodgers just happens to be the best pure passer in the NFL but fore the sake of argument 😁 I'd say Pettine would be fine with Andrew Luck over Josh Mccown

    @baconhound said:

    Brady has 9 double digit INT years and Rodgers just happens to be the best pure passer in the NFL but fore the sake of argument 😁 I'd say Pettine would be fine with Andrew Luck over Josh Mccown

    But only 3 of his last 6 full seasons... Tom Terrific strung 6 together early in his first 6 full-time years...

    Luck is still learning and is in no position to game manage... Can't think of a QB who has more on him than Andrew does in Indy... but yeah, I think he'd get a look with us. 😉

    Ideally you want a QB who can be what you need based upon how a given Sunday unfolds... a QB that knows without being told to dial up or down his aggression-meter. Aaron and Tom do it. Wilson in SEA does as will although the scale on his dial is not as wide. I think Andrew would love to be able to dial it down some weeks.

    QBs like McCown and Hoyer don't have a dial... you have to match their "speed". Fitz with the Jets is the same way.

    Favre only dialed it down one year... and I think it killed him to not be him. Coincidentally it was the only year he won a SB. By and large the same for P. Manning, although circumstances dictated more aggression more of the time.

    JM shows signs of being able to dial it, but there's no doubt it goes against his nature... and that puts him in conflict with Pet as Faded pointed out.