Skip to content

Rey was BEST USC LBer Against the Pass the last 4 years

The Browns Board
44 13 2.8k
  • Aloysius said:

    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Maualuga saw the field on 3rd down a lot more often than Cushing. Not sure why, but that makes comparing their INT numbers pretty misleading.

    Anyway, you see something totally different when you compare PBU's: Cushing had 6, whereas Maualuga only had 4. Cushing leads by two because he made two really nice plays in coverage in the Oregon game, perhaps the only game in which he got to be a true every down player (because Rey was hurt).

    Neither of them is an elite cover guy, but I think Cushing's better than Rey.

    Aloy,

    I think you're an IDEAL student of the game that REALLY knows his stuff. Don't take this next part as an insult because it's not meant to be and I'm JUST as guilty of it toward certain players at times. However, when it comes to Rey: I don't think your OPINION of Rey LETS you see what I've shown and allows you to say "WOW, he really had 6 sacks from the inside in 2007?" There's ALOT of people on this board that think Rey is overrated whom will share your opinion. I just wanted to share some factual data that swims upstream against popular opinion that and reveals Rey had more sacks and INTs than the 2 other USC LBers whom will be drafted before round 2 starts up.

    There were 3 seasons where Cush wasn't being replaced very often by Clay Matthews and he never collected 6 sacks or 1 INT. Rey has 5 INTs and 2 for TDs. I think he's better in the hook zones and at diagnosing the pass than people give him credit for. In fairness to Rey, I think ALOT of teams were afraid to throw the slant passes crossing his face. That's called presence and I didn't earn that for him.

    I heard Pete Carroll in an interview saying Matthews came on so strong in 2008 - that his biggest challenge became finding enough reps for Clay. He said the reason this was such a challenge is because he had to take some all star caliber talent off the field to plug Clay into spots where he could help the team most. He said BOTH Rey and Cushing lost reps to Matthews; and research shows us Clay didn't have 1 main position.

    - Tom F. (I probably sound like some Kirby Vaccuum Sales sweat in this thread but dadblast it - let's have some fun)

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @flugel said:

    However, when it comes to Rey: I don't think your OPINION of Rey LETS you see what I've shown and allows you to say "WOW, he really had 6 sacks from the inside in 2007?" There's ALOT of people on this board that think Rey is overrated whom will share your opinion. I just wanted to share some factual data that swims upstream against popular opinion that and reveals Rey had more sacks and INTs than the 2 other USC LBers whom will be drafted before round 2 starts up.

    We already went down this road once before, and it got ugly really quick. So I won't belabor the point.

    I'll just say that if you look back at my posts in October, I had Curry and Maualuga rated almost equally. After that, I watched several games of each guy, keying exclusively on them. And when I scrutinized them very closely, Curry's play impressed me even more and Maualuga's impressed me a lot less.

    Only after that did I start looking at the character stuff, which soured me a little more on Maualuga. I think I just put a greater emphasis on intelligence and character than you do; the three guys you really like high in the draft - Maualuga, Harvin, and Andre Smith - all have character red flags and scored very low on the Wonderlic. Stuff like that scares me away from guys.

    I heard Pete Carroll in an interview saying Matthews came on so strong in 2008 - that his biggest challenge became finding enough reps for Clay. He said the reason this was such a challenge is because he had to take some all star caliber talent off the field to plug Clay into spots where he could help the team most. He said BOTH Rey and Cushing lost reps to Matthews; and research shows us Clay didn't have 1 main position.

    Interesting. Because when I keyed on Maualuga, I rarely saw him come off the field. Maybe Matthews occasionally blitzed from the ILB spot, but it's not like he was eating into Maualuga's reps at the position.

    @flugel said:

    I don't need to rewatch games I already saw.

    Well, then I guess you're not at all like me. I was holding two empty beer cans by the time that game started, didn't watch the 4th quarter, and - more importantly - wasn't really focusing on Maualuga. I noticed a lot of new things when I watched the game a second time.

    But that's just me.

  • @flugel said:

    However, when it comes to Rey: I don't think your OPINION of Rey LETS you see what I've shown and allows you to say "WOW, he really had 6 sacks from the inside in 2007?" There's ALOT of people on this board that think Rey is overrated whom will share your opinion. I just wanted to share some factual data that swims upstream against popular opinion that and reveals Rey had more sacks and INTs than the 2 other USC LBers whom will be drafted before round 2 starts up.

    We already went down this road once before, and it got ugly really quick. So I won't belabor the point.

    I'll just say that if you look back at my posts in October, I had Curry and Maualuga rated almost equally. After that, I watched several games of each guy, keying exclusively on them. And when I scrutinized them very closely, Curry's play impressed me even more and Maualuga's impressed me a lot less.

    Only after that did I start looking at the character stuff, which soured me a little more on Maualuga. I think I just put a greater emphasis on intelligence and character than you do; the three guys you really like high in the draft - Maualuga, Harvin, and Andre Smith - all have character red flags and scored very low on the Wonderlic. Stuff like that scares me away from guys.

    I heard Pete Carroll in an interview saying Matthews came on so strong in 2008 - that his biggest challenge became finding enough reps for Clay. He said the reason this was such a challenge is because he had to take some all star caliber talent off the field to plug Clay into spots where he could help the team most. He said BOTH Rey and Cushing lost reps to Matthews; and research shows us Clay didn't have 1 main position.

    Interesting. Because when I keyed on Maualuga, I rarely saw him come off the field. Maybe Matthews occasionally blitzed from the ILB spot, but it's not like he was eating into Maualuga's reps at the position.

    @flugel said:

    I don't need to rewatch games I already saw.

    Well, then I guess you're not at all like me. I was holding two empty beer cans by the time that game started, didn't watch the 4th quarter, and - more importantly - wasn't really focusing on Maualuga. I noticed a lot of new things when I watched the game a second time.

    But that's just me.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #20

    Aloysius said:

    We already went down this road once before, and it got ugly really quick. So I won't belabor the point.

    I'll just say that if you look back at my posts in October, I had Curry and Maualuga rated almost equally. After that, I watched several games of each guy, keying exclusively on them. And when I scrutinized them very closely, Curry's play impressed me even more and Maualuga's impressed me a lot less.

    Only after that did I start looking at the character stuff, which soured me a little more on Maualuga. I think I just put a greater emphasis on intelligence and character than you do; the three guys you really like high in the draft - Maualuga, Harvin, and Andre Smith - all have character red flags and scored very low on the Wonderlic. Stuff like that scares me away from guys.

    Interesting. Because when I keyed on Maualuga, I rarely saw him come off the field. Maybe Matthews occasionally blitzed from the ILB spot, but it's not like he was eating into Maualuga's reps at the position.

    Well, then I guess you're not at all like me. I was holding two empty beer cans by the time that game started, didn't watch the 4th quarter, and - more importantly - wasn't really focusing on Maualuga. I noticed a lot of new things when I watched the game a second time.

    But that's just me.

    I started this thread showing sack and INT stats for a 4 year body of work for the 3 USC LBers slated to go within the first 2 rounds of this draft. I ALSO complimented you in this thread. Therefore, I'm not gonna take the guilt trip for your self-induced fuss here. Since you chose not to belabor the point only to belabor the point - here you be:

    Like I said, it's just 1 game in 4 years. Maybe we're just different - I don't lose my memory on 2 beers in 3 hours. If I did, I don't think mixing the 2 would make much sense if the sum of it added up to - need to re-watch when more coherent. Besides, I'm not big on re-watching games my favorite teams lose. I've never re-watched the The Drive or The Fumble. If you like throwing up better than me - then have at it.

    Since you ARE compelled to make this September 13th Game the rule instead of the exception - I'll ask: If Pete Carroll AND Kenny Norton feel like Rey needed to stay on the field - whom are they telling you they believe in MORE against the pass? And later in the game when Rey INT'd the ball, did that burn Carroll and Norton for feeling that way? No, they added another TD. LUCKY for you, I said this was ONLY 1 game because as the season went on, Rey WAS coming off the field. Maybe this can be reflected by Rey was def MVP of the 2008 Rose Bowl & the 2009 Rose Bowl Def MVP was ILBer Kaluka Maiava. In the RB, Matthews replaced Rey a couple of times and put tremendous heat on PSU's QB from inside X-stunts. I really wasn't keeping track of whom Clay was replacing more at the time to be honest because I never thought I'd have you going Judge Judy on me about it later. I think you'll see there's print out there that indicates Clay played inside and outside and he's been called the guy without a position. That's not me being creative - that's me refusing to contort the truth with convenience of arguement.

    I haven't READ or heard about character concerns about Harvin beyond you sending me something about him getting thrown out of a high school game when he was 17 or 18 years old. Does being a stupid teenager mean someone shoudn't hire you when you're 22 or 23? If so, do you know how many of us in the Dawg Pound shouldn't have ever been hired according to your criteria? And how much has Percy Harvin's character backfired on Urban Meyer in the last 3 years? From where I'm sitting, I count 2 National Championships with Harvin representing a VERY important prong of attack. That doesn't happen is Meyer is a guy that makes bad personnel choices. If you can get creative and PROVE Harvin's character ruined Florida's football program - run it. What I HAVE read about Harvin is he wanted to be #1 in the weight room and on the practice field. Sound like a passionate football player making football #1 in his life? Or do you got a story of him getting kicked out of Cub Scouts for eating too many Brownies to share with us?

    Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Bruce Smith, Jones-Drew, Bob Hayes, Erik Williams, Lawrence Taylor all had these character issues you speak of. We stayed away from those types and drafted an alter boy with manners named Courtney Brown. We were great at helping our opponents back to their feet and saying thank you while they were kicking our fannies on game day. "Love thy enemy." Me? I'd rather get some mean basterds willing to be naughty on Sunday so we can keep some freakin scores down for a change. I think we're confusing Sunday School with competitive football on Sundays. Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis had character issues didn't they? At what point did that ruin their championship run? Maybe my problem is I'm too old for new millenium criteria. I grew up playing football on grass, dirt and mudd with my buddies instead of Madden video screens. Seems like tackling has become a lost art for the Cleveland Browns so I still enjoy the throwback players that drive through the man into the turf and intimidate people.

    - Tom F.

  • Aloysius said:

    We already went down this road once before, and it got ugly really quick. So I won't belabor the point.

    I'll just say that if you look back at my posts in October, I had Curry and Maualuga rated almost equally. After that, I watched several games of each guy, keying exclusively on them. And when I scrutinized them very closely, Curry's play impressed me even more and Maualuga's impressed me a lot less.

    Only after that did I start looking at the character stuff, which soured me a little more on Maualuga. I think I just put a greater emphasis on intelligence and character than you do; the three guys you really like high in the draft - Maualuga, Harvin, and Andre Smith - all have character red flags and scored very low on the Wonderlic. Stuff like that scares me away from guys.

    Interesting. Because when I keyed on Maualuga, I rarely saw him come off the field. Maybe Matthews occasionally blitzed from the ILB spot, but it's not like he was eating into Maualuga's reps at the position.

    Well, then I guess you're not at all like me. I was holding two empty beer cans by the time that game started, didn't watch the 4th quarter, and - more importantly - wasn't really focusing on Maualuga. I noticed a lot of new things when I watched the game a second time.

    But that's just me.

    I started this thread showing sack and INT stats for a 4 year body of work for the 3 USC LBers slated to go within the first 2 rounds of this draft. I ALSO complimented you in this thread. Therefore, I'm not gonna take the guilt trip for your self-induced fuss here. Since you chose not to belabor the point only to belabor the point - here you be:

    Like I said, it's just 1 game in 4 years. Maybe we're just different - I don't lose my memory on 2 beers in 3 hours. If I did, I don't think mixing the 2 would make much sense if the sum of it added up to - need to re-watch when more coherent. Besides, I'm not big on re-watching games my favorite teams lose. I've never re-watched the The Drive or The Fumble. If you like throwing up better than me - then have at it.

    Since you ARE compelled to make this September 13th Game the rule instead of the exception - I'll ask: If Pete Carroll AND Kenny Norton feel like Rey needed to stay on the field - whom are they telling you they believe in MORE against the pass? And later in the game when Rey INT'd the ball, did that burn Carroll and Norton for feeling that way? No, they added another TD. LUCKY for you, I said this was ONLY 1 game because as the season went on, Rey WAS coming off the field. Maybe this can be reflected by Rey was def MVP of the 2008 Rose Bowl & the 2009 Rose Bowl Def MVP was ILBer Kaluka Maiava. In the RB, Matthews replaced Rey a couple of times and put tremendous heat on PSU's QB from inside X-stunts. I really wasn't keeping track of whom Clay was replacing more at the time to be honest because I never thought I'd have you going Judge Judy on me about it later. I think you'll see there's print out there that indicates Clay played inside and outside and he's been called the guy without a position. That's not me being creative - that's me refusing to contort the truth with convenience of arguement.

    I haven't READ or heard about character concerns about Harvin beyond you sending me something about him getting thrown out of a high school game when he was 17 or 18 years old. Does being a stupid teenager mean someone shoudn't hire you when you're 22 or 23? If so, do you know how many of us in the Dawg Pound shouldn't have ever been hired according to your criteria? And how much has Percy Harvin's character backfired on Urban Meyer in the last 3 years? From where I'm sitting, I count 2 National Championships with Harvin representing a VERY important prong of attack. That doesn't happen is Meyer is a guy that makes bad personnel choices. If you can get creative and PROVE Harvin's character ruined Florida's football program - run it. What I HAVE read about Harvin is he wanted to be #1 in the weight room and on the practice field. Sound like a passionate football player making football #1 in his life? Or do you got a story of him getting kicked out of Cub Scouts for eating too many Brownies to share with us?

    Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Bruce Smith, Jones-Drew, Bob Hayes, Erik Williams, Lawrence Taylor all had these character issues you speak of. We stayed away from those types and drafted an alter boy with manners named Courtney Brown. We were great at helping our opponents back to their feet and saying thank you while they were kicking our fannies on game day. "Love thy enemy." Me? I'd rather get some mean basterds willing to be naughty on Sunday so we can keep some freakin scores down for a change. I think we're confusing Sunday School with competitive football on Sundays. Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis had character issues didn't they? At what point did that ruin their championship run? Maybe my problem is I'm too old for new millenium criteria. I grew up playing football on grass, dirt and mudd with my buddies instead of Madden video screens. Seems like tackling has become a lost art for the Cleveland Browns so I still enjoy the throwback players that drive through the man into the turf and intimidate people.

    - Tom F.

    S Sony Reed wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @flugel said:

    If memory serves me right - I started this thread showing sack and INT stats for a 4 year body of work for the 3 USC LBers slated to go within the first 2 rounds of this draft. That wasn't even close to an attack on you so I'm not taking the guilt trip for your self-induced fuss here. Since you chose not to belabor the point only to belabor the point - here's some feeback on those points:

    Like I said, it's just 1 game in 4 years and that's just me. Maybe we're just different - I don't lose my memory on 2 beers in 3 hours. I'm not big on re-watching games my favorite teams lose. I've never re-watched the The Drive or The Fumble. If you like throwing up better than me - then have at it.

    Since you ARE compelled to make MORE out of this 1 game than the entire season - I'll ask this question while you remain consistent with your philosophy: If Pete Carroll AND Kenny Norton feel like Rey needed to stay on the field - whom are they telling you they believe in MORE against the pass? And later in the game when Rey INT'd the ball, did that burn Carroll and Norton for feeling that way? No, they added another TD and all the FASTER and more agile players than Rey couldn't touch him or catch him for some reason. LUCKY for you, I said this was ONLY 1 game because as the season went on, Rey WAS coming off the field. While Rey was def MVP of the 2008 Rose Bowl, this year's Rose Bowl Def MVP was ILBer Kaluka Maiava. In that game, Matthews replaced Rey a couple of times and put tremendous heat on PSU's QB from instide X-stunts. I really wasn't keeping track of whom he was replacing more at the time to be honest because I never thought I'd have you going Judge Judy on me about it later. I think you'll see there's print out there that indicates Clay played inside and outside and he's been called the guy without a position. That's not me being creative - that's me refusing to contort the truth with convenience of arguement.

    I haven't READ or heard about character concerns about Harvin beyond you sending me something about him getting thrown out of a high school game when he was 17 or 18 years old. Does being a stupid teenager mean someone shoudn't hire you when you're 22 or 23? If so, do you know how many of us in the Dawg Pound shouldn't have ever been hired according to your criteria? And how much has Percy Harvin's character backfired on Urban Meyer in the last 3 years? From where I'm sitting, I count 2 National Championships with Harvin representing a VERY important prong of attack.

    Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Bruce Smith, Jones-Drew, Bob Hayes, Erik Williams, Lawrence Taylor all had these character issues you speak of. We stayed away from those types and drafted an alter boy with manners named Courtney Brown. We were great at helping our opponents back to their feet while they were kicking our fannies on game day. "Love thy enemy." Me? I'd rather get some mean basterds willing to be naughty on Sunday so we can keep some freakin scores down for a change. I think we're confusing Sunday School with competitive football on Sundays. Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis had character issues didn't they? AT what point did that ruin their championship run? Maybe my problem is I'm too old for new millenium criteria. I grew up playing football on grass, dirt and mudd with my buddies instead of Madden video screens. Seems like tackling has become a lost art for the Cleveland Browns so I still enjoy the throwback players that drive through the man into the turf and intimidate people. Sorry.

    - Tom F.

    Flugs, great post, I just want to add a few things, I believe all the negatives regarding Rey is a bunch of B.S., Rey has been a dominant player at USC for the past 4 years and people make me laugh when I hear people say Cushing and Matthews are better than him, the other thing is everyone talking about Curry like he's the best LB to come out in years, truth is until this past season Curry was looked at as no more than a 3rd round choice at best, so now the guy has one great year playing in a weak ACC and looks good in shorts at the combine and he is the new flavor of the year whereas Rey as been performing at a high level for the past 4 years playing against much better competition and in bigger games than Curry. Aaron Curry has had ONE DOMINAT YEAR, Rey has had 4.

    The other thing is I am glad you brought up this character issue, these guys are football players, I want good football players unless they are out shooting people or abusing drugs I could care less about a wonderlic score or other trivial things young guys get into after all these are kids and we all made mistake when we were kids, I am so tired of us selecting these so called good guys who suck on the football field.

    As you mentioned guys like Harvin, Andre Smith and Rey have talent all you have to do is look at what they have done on the field to realize what type of football players these guys will be.

    IMO of all the defensive players in the draft Rey I feel will have the largest impact on defense for whichever team drafts him, this guy will be a difference maker in so many ways on the field. watch the film the guy makes plays and big plays at times that change the course of a game and thats what I consider a IMPACT PLAYER.

  • @flugel said:

    If memory serves me right - I started this thread showing sack and INT stats for a 4 year body of work for the 3 USC LBers slated to go within the first 2 rounds of this draft. That wasn't even close to an attack on you so I'm not taking the guilt trip for your self-induced fuss here. Since you chose not to belabor the point only to belabor the point - here's some feeback on those points:

    Like I said, it's just 1 game in 4 years and that's just me. Maybe we're just different - I don't lose my memory on 2 beers in 3 hours. I'm not big on re-watching games my favorite teams lose. I've never re-watched the The Drive or The Fumble. If you like throwing up better than me - then have at it.

    Since you ARE compelled to make MORE out of this 1 game than the entire season - I'll ask this question while you remain consistent with your philosophy: If Pete Carroll AND Kenny Norton feel like Rey needed to stay on the field - whom are they telling you they believe in MORE against the pass? And later in the game when Rey INT'd the ball, did that burn Carroll and Norton for feeling that way? No, they added another TD and all the FASTER and more agile players than Rey couldn't touch him or catch him for some reason. LUCKY for you, I said this was ONLY 1 game because as the season went on, Rey WAS coming off the field. While Rey was def MVP of the 2008 Rose Bowl, this year's Rose Bowl Def MVP was ILBer Kaluka Maiava. In that game, Matthews replaced Rey a couple of times and put tremendous heat on PSU's QB from instide X-stunts. I really wasn't keeping track of whom he was replacing more at the time to be honest because I never thought I'd have you going Judge Judy on me about it later. I think you'll see there's print out there that indicates Clay played inside and outside and he's been called the guy without a position. That's not me being creative - that's me refusing to contort the truth with convenience of arguement.

    I haven't READ or heard about character concerns about Harvin beyond you sending me something about him getting thrown out of a high school game when he was 17 or 18 years old. Does being a stupid teenager mean someone shoudn't hire you when you're 22 or 23? If so, do you know how many of us in the Dawg Pound shouldn't have ever been hired according to your criteria? And how much has Percy Harvin's character backfired on Urban Meyer in the last 3 years? From where I'm sitting, I count 2 National Championships with Harvin representing a VERY important prong of attack.

    Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Bruce Smith, Jones-Drew, Bob Hayes, Erik Williams, Lawrence Taylor all had these character issues you speak of. We stayed away from those types and drafted an alter boy with manners named Courtney Brown. We were great at helping our opponents back to their feet while they were kicking our fannies on game day. "Love thy enemy." Me? I'd rather get some mean basterds willing to be naughty on Sunday so we can keep some freakin scores down for a change. I think we're confusing Sunday School with competitive football on Sundays. Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis had character issues didn't they? AT what point did that ruin their championship run? Maybe my problem is I'm too old for new millenium criteria. I grew up playing football on grass, dirt and mudd with my buddies instead of Madden video screens. Seems like tackling has become a lost art for the Cleveland Browns so I still enjoy the throwback players that drive through the man into the turf and intimidate people. Sorry.

    - Tom F.

    Flugs, great post, I just want to add a few things, I believe all the negatives regarding Rey is a bunch of B.S., Rey has been a dominant player at USC for the past 4 years and people make me laugh when I hear people say Cushing and Matthews are better than him, the other thing is everyone talking about Curry like he's the best LB to come out in years, truth is until this past season Curry was looked at as no more than a 3rd round choice at best, so now the guy has one great year playing in a weak ACC and looks good in shorts at the combine and he is the new flavor of the year whereas Rey as been performing at a high level for the past 4 years playing against much better competition and in bigger games than Curry. Aaron Curry has had ONE DOMINAT YEAR, Rey has had 4.

    The other thing is I am glad you brought up this character issue, these guys are football players, I want good football players unless they are out shooting people or abusing drugs I could care less about a wonderlic score or other trivial things young guys get into after all these are kids and we all made mistake when we were kids, I am so tired of us selecting these so called good guys who suck on the football field.

    As you mentioned guys like Harvin, Andre Smith and Rey have talent all you have to do is look at what they have done on the field to realize what type of football players these guys will be.

    IMO of all the defensive players in the draft Rey I feel will have the largest impact on defense for whichever team drafts him, this guy will be a difference maker in so many ways on the field. watch the film the guy makes plays and big plays at times that change the course of a game and thats what I consider a IMPACT PLAYER.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #22

    @sony-reed said:

    Flugs, great post, I just want to add a few things, I believe all the negatives regarding Rey is a bunch of B.S., Rey has been a dominant player at USC for the past 4 years and people make me laugh when I hear people say Cushing and Matthews are better than him, the other thing is everyone talking about Curry like he's the best LB to come out in years, truth is until this past season Curry was looked at as no more than a 3rd round choice at best, so now the guy has one great year playing in a weak ACC and looks good in shorts at the combine and he is the new flavor of the year whereas Rey as been performing at a high level for the past 4 years playing against much better competition and in bigger games than Curry. Aaron Curry has had ONE DOMINAT YEAR, Rey has had 4.

    The other thing is I am glad you brought up this character issue, these guys are football players, I want good football players unless they are out shooting people or abusing drugs I could care less about a wonderlic score or other trivial things young guys get into after all these are kids and we all made mistake when we were kids, I am so tired of us selecting these so called good guys who suck on the football field.

    As you mentioned guys like Harvin, Andre Smith and Rey have talent all you have to do is look at what they have done on the field to realize what type of football players these guys will be.

    IMO of all the defensive players in the draft Rey I feel will have the largest impact on defense for whichever team drafts him, this guy will be a difference maker in so many ways on the field. watch the film the guy makes plays and big plays at times that change the course of a game and thats what I consider a IMPACT PLAYER.

    Thanks SONY! Some good points about character and Rey. I actually LIKE Curry a ton; but it's not like anyone goes out of their way to post video collages of his worst moments or acknowledges he plays in weak conference. Even his Bowl matchup, Navy was running a 1940s offense and Wake Forest struggled much of the game on both sides of the ball. Not Curry's fault and I LIKE him but... I'd even take him over Rey BUT he'll be gone before we pick I think. I just think there's been a lot of creativity to describe Rey as Over-REY-ted. I edited my post with some updates about character since it's a new page and I don't want to clarify/re-explain things anymore - this is in response to Aloy's comments:

    I started this thread showing sack and INT stats for a 4 year body of work for the 3 USC LBers slated to go within the first 2 rounds of this draft. I ALSO complimented you in this thread. Therefore, I'm not gonna take the guilt trip for your self-induced fuss here. Since you chose not to belabor the point only to belabor the point - here you be:

    Like I said, it's just 1 game in 4 years. Maybe we're just different - I don't lose my memory on 2 beers in 3 hours. If I did, I don't think mixing the 2 would make much sense if the sum of it added up to - need to re-watch when more coherent. Besides, I'm not big on re-watching games my favorite teams lose. I've never re-watched the The Drive or The Fumble. If you like throwing up better than me - then have at it.

    Since you ARE compelled to make this September 13th Game the rule instead of the exception - I'll ask: If Pete Carroll AND Kenny Norton feel like Rey needed to stay on the field - whom are they telling you they believe in MORE against the pass? And later in the game when Rey INT'd the ball, did that burn Carroll and Norton for feeling that way? No, they added another TD. LUCKY for you, I said this was ONLY 1 game because as the season went on, Rey WAS coming off the field. Maybe this can be reflected by Rey was def MVP of the 2008 Rose Bowl & the 2009 Rose Bowl Def MVP was ILBer Kaluka Maiava. In the RB, Matthews replaced Rey a couple of times and put tremendous heat on PSU's QB from inside X-stunts. I really wasn't keeping track of whom Clay was replacing more at the time to be honest because I never thought I'd have you going Judge Judy on me about it later. I think you'll see there's print out there that indicates Clay played inside and outside and he's been called the guy without a position. That's not me being creative - that's me refusing to contort the truth with convenience of arguement.

    I haven't READ or heard about character concerns about Harvin beyond you sending me something about him getting thrown out of a high school game when he was 17 or 18 years old. Does being a stupid teenager mean someone shoudn't hire you when you're 22 or 23? If so, do you know how many of us in the Dawg Pound shouldn't have ever been hired according to your criteria? And how much has Percy Harvin's character backfired on Urban Meyer in the last 3 years? From where I'm sitting, I count 2 National Championships with Harvin representing a VERY important prong of attack. That doesn't happen if Meyer is a guy that makes bad personnel choices. If you can get creative and PROVE Harvin's character ruined Florida's football program - run it. What I HAVE read about Harvin is he wanted to be #1 in the weight room and on the practice field. Sound like a passionate football player making football #1 in his life? Or do you got a story of him getting kicked out of Cub Scouts for eating too many Brownies?

    Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Bruce Smith, Jones-Drew, Bob Hayes, Erik Williams, Lawrence Taylor all had these character issues you speak of. We stayed away from those types and drafted an alter boy with manners named Courtney Brown. We were great at helping our opponents back to their feet and saying thank you while they were kicking our fannies on game day. "Love thy enemy." Me? I'd rather get some mean basterds willing to be naughty on Sunday so we can keep some freakin scores down for a change. I think we're confusing Sunday School with competitive football on Sundays. Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis had character issues didn't they? At what point did that ruin their championship run? Maybe my problem is I'm too old for new millenium criteria. I grew up playing football on grass, dirt and mudd with my buddies instead of Madden video screens. Seems like tackling has become a lost art for the Cleveland Browns so I still enjoy the throwback players that drive through the man into the turf and intimidate people.

    - Tom F.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Flugs, I like Rey more and more and a lot of it is from what you're saying regarding just needing a bad ass out there. I can live with the occasional mistake, but a difference maker is needed.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Come on, Tom. Let's kiss & make up.

    All I was saying is when I'm making my way through a Sam Adams six-pack while watching a game with a bunch of Buckeyes fans, I'll get up & cheer when Daniel Herron breaks off a long run. But I probably won't notice that Maualuga's overpursuit helped set it up.

    Re-watching a game long after it's ended helps you notice things you wouldn't catch when it's live. When already you know what's going to happen, you can more easily key on how individual players performed. And because you're not anticipating a Buckeyes victory, it shouldn't be painful to go back on the DVR a few weeks later & watch Maualuga play.

    And about the character thing: yes, I emphasize character more than you do. That doesn't mean I'm right: it just means I'm a little more concerned about that stuff. I'd probably be too overcautious and miss out on a Warren Sapp, and you'd probably cast aside concerns & draft a TO. Because of that, we end up disagreeing about Maualuga's character concerns. That's pretty much to be expected - no need to fight about it.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #25
    😠 love is a beautiful thing 🙄
  • Come on, Tom. Let's kiss & make up.

    All I was saying is when I'm making my way through a Sam Adams six-pack while watching a game with a bunch of Buckeyes fans, I'll get up & cheer when Daniel Herron breaks off a long run. But I probably won't notice that Maualuga's overpursuit helped set it up.

    Re-watching a game long after it's ended helps you notice things you wouldn't catch when it's live. When already you know what's going to happen, you can more easily key on how individual players performed. And because you're not anticipating a Buckeyes victory, it shouldn't be painful to go back on the DVR a few weeks later & watch Maualuga play.

    And about the character thing: yes, I emphasize character more than you do. That doesn't mean I'm right: it just means I'm a little more concerned about that stuff. I'd probably be too overcautious and miss out on a Warren Sapp, and you'd probably cast aside concerns & draft a TO. Because of that, we end up disagreeing about Maualuga's character concerns. That's pretty much to be expected - no need to fight about it.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #26

    Aloysius said:

    Come on, Tom. Let's kiss & make up.

    All I was saying is when I'm making my way through a Sam Adams six-pack while watching a game with a bunch of Buckeyes fans, I'll get up & cheer when Daniel Herron breaks off a long run. But I probably won't notice that Maualuga's overpursuit helped set it up.

    Re-watching a game long after it's ended helps you notice things you wouldn't catch when it's live. When already you know what's going to happen, you can more easily key on how individual players performed. And because you're not anticipating a Buckeyes victory, it shouldn't be painful to go back on the DVR a few weeks later & watch Maualuga play.

    And about the character thing: yes, I emphasize character more than you do. That doesn't mean I'm right: it just means I'm a little more concerned about that stuff. I'd probably be too overcautious and miss out on a Warren Sapp, and you'd probably cast aside concerns & draft a TO. Because of that, we end up disagreeing about Maualuga's character concerns. That's pretty much to be expected - no need to fight about it.

    LOL! We're cool. While we were disagreeing about Rey - I shot you over a "Great stuff" reply about your post regarding Michael Johnson. I gotta realize not everyone is going to like Rey the way I do.

    - Tom F.

  • B Beanpot wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Nice back and forth between Alo and Flugs, two of my favorite posters. Much thanks for all of the knowledge the two of you provide.

    Also, I'm loving Alo's videos. Greatly appreciated!

    Beanpot

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I'm betting that Flugs has the nicer ass.

  • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
    #29

    http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-outsid...-cleveland.html

    Interesting article on why the Browns draft Maualuga

  • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
    #30

    we still need someone to stop the run first or a pass rusher. with pressure on the qb the pass coverage will improve greatly because the qb won't have to time to set his feet and deliver passes right on the numbers.

  • http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-outsid...-cleveland.html

    Interesting article on why the Browns draft Maualuga

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @playgroundlegend said:

    http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-outsid...-cleveland.html

    Interesting article on why the Browns draft Maualuga

    I enjoyed that article Legend! Thanks for sharing it.

    - Tom F.

  • @flugel said:

    If memory serves me right - I started this thread showing sack and INT stats for a 4 year body of work for the 3 USC LBers slated to go within the first 2 rounds of this draft. That wasn't even close to an attack on you so I'm not taking the guilt trip for your self-induced fuss here. Since you chose not to belabor the point only to belabor the point - here's some feeback on those points:

    Like I said, it's just 1 game in 4 years and that's just me. Maybe we're just different - I don't lose my memory on 2 beers in 3 hours. I'm not big on re-watching games my favorite teams lose. I've never re-watched the The Drive or The Fumble. If you like throwing up better than me - then have at it.

    Since you ARE compelled to make MORE out of this 1 game than the entire season - I'll ask this question while you remain consistent with your philosophy: If Pete Carroll AND Kenny Norton feel like Rey needed to stay on the field - whom are they telling you they believe in MORE against the pass? And later in the game when Rey INT'd the ball, did that burn Carroll and Norton for feeling that way? No, they added another TD and all the FASTER and more agile players than Rey couldn't touch him or catch him for some reason. LUCKY for you, I said this was ONLY 1 game because as the season went on, Rey WAS coming off the field. While Rey was def MVP of the 2008 Rose Bowl, this year's Rose Bowl Def MVP was ILBer Kaluka Maiava. In that game, Matthews replaced Rey a couple of times and put tremendous heat on PSU's QB from instide X-stunts. I really wasn't keeping track of whom he was replacing more at the time to be honest because I never thought I'd have you going Judge Judy on me about it later. I think you'll see there's print out there that indicates Clay played inside and outside and he's been called the guy without a position. That's not me being creative - that's me refusing to contort the truth with convenience of arguement.

    I haven't READ or heard about character concerns about Harvin beyond you sending me something about him getting thrown out of a high school game when he was 17 or 18 years old. Does being a stupid teenager mean someone shoudn't hire you when you're 22 or 23? If so, do you know how many of us in the Dawg Pound shouldn't have ever been hired according to your criteria? And how much has Percy Harvin's character backfired on Urban Meyer in the last 3 years? From where I'm sitting, I count 2 National Championships with Harvin representing a VERY important prong of attack.

    Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Bruce Smith, Jones-Drew, Bob Hayes, Erik Williams, Lawrence Taylor all had these character issues you speak of. We stayed away from those types and drafted an alter boy with manners named Courtney Brown. We were great at helping our opponents back to their feet while they were kicking our fannies on game day. "Love thy enemy." Me? I'd rather get some mean basterds willing to be naughty on Sunday so we can keep some freakin scores down for a change. I think we're confusing Sunday School with competitive football on Sundays. Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis had character issues didn't they? AT what point did that ruin their championship run? Maybe my problem is I'm too old for new millenium criteria. I grew up playing football on grass, dirt and mudd with my buddies instead of Madden video screens. Seems like tackling has become a lost art for the Cleveland Browns so I still enjoy the throwback players that drive through the man into the turf and intimidate people. Sorry.

    - Tom F.

    Flugs, great post, I just want to add a few things, I believe all the negatives regarding Rey is a bunch of B.S., Rey has been a dominant player at USC for the past 4 years and people make me laugh when I hear people say Cushing and Matthews are better than him, the other thing is everyone talking about Curry like he's the best LB to come out in years, truth is until this past season Curry was looked at as no more than a 3rd round choice at best, so now the guy has one great year playing in a weak ACC and looks good in shorts at the combine and he is the new flavor of the year whereas Rey as been performing at a high level for the past 4 years playing against much better competition and in bigger games than Curry. Aaron Curry has had ONE DOMINAT YEAR, Rey has had 4.

    The other thing is I am glad you brought up this character issue, these guys are football players, I want good football players unless they are out shooting people or abusing drugs I could care less about a wonderlic score or other trivial things young guys get into after all these are kids and we all made mistake when we were kids, I am so tired of us selecting these so called good guys who suck on the football field.

    As you mentioned guys like Harvin, Andre Smith and Rey have talent all you have to do is look at what they have done on the field to realize what type of football players these guys will be.

    IMO of all the defensive players in the draft Rey I feel will have the largest impact on defense for whichever team drafts him, this guy will be a difference maker in so many ways on the field. watch the film the guy makes plays and big plays at times that change the course of a game and thats what I consider a IMPACT PLAYER.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @sony-reed said:

    Aaron Curry has had ONE DOMINAT YEAR, Rey has had 4.

    One dominant year?

    2007 (Junior):

    Second team All-ACC linebacker as a junior ... Earned second team All-America honors from CollegeSportsReport.com ... Was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week after the North Carolina game when he had seven tackles and two interceptions including an 84-yard return for a touchdown ... Earned the ACC Defensive Back of the Week award for his efforts against NC State (8 tackles, 1 interception, 57-yard return for a touchdown) ... Tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns the school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256) ... His 84-yard interception return for a touchdown against Army (Sept. 15) ranks as the fourth-longest in school history ... Led the Deacons with eight tackles and also had a 57-yard interception return for a touchdown ... Second on the team with 99 tackles ... Team leader with 13.5 tackles for loss ... Also collected three sacks during the season ... Picked off two passes vs. North Carolina (Oct. 27) ... Finished tied for 13th in the ACC in tackles with 99 ... Ranks 10th in the school record books with 29.5 career tackles for loss ... Had three games of 10 or more tackles including 11 vs. Boston College (Sept. 1), 12 vs. Navy (Oct. 20) and 13 vs. Vanderbilt (Nov. 24)

    2006 (Sophomore):

    Started all 14 games at outside linebacker ... Ranked 42nd in the ACC averaging 4.9 tackles per game ... Ranked second on the team with 83 tackles ... Tied for fourth on the team with 8.5 tackles for loss and three sacks ... Broke up three passes and intercepted one ... Forced two fumbles ... Made a season-high 10 tackles at Maryland ... Recorded multiple tackle for loss games against Connecticut and North Carolina ... Intercepted a pass in the ACC Championship Game and returned it 30 yards.

    2005 (Redshirt Freshman):

    Named second team Freshman All-American and to the ACC All-Freshman Team by The Sporting News ... The team's fifth-leading tackler (45) ... Ranked third on the team with 7.5 tackles for loss ... Finished fourth on the team with five pass break-ups ... Played in all 11 games and started the final 10 ... Claimed a starting role in the second game of the season and never let go ... Had four solo tackles in his career debut against Vanderbilt ... Tallied four tackles at Nebraska, including one for loss, and a pass break-up ... Posted one tackle for loss against East Carolina ... Made four tackles in the Maryland game, including one for loss ... Blocked a punt against Clemson and made three tackles ... Had his most productive game at Florida State with seven tackles, a sack, a tackle for loss and two pass break-ups ... Posted five tackles in the Boston College game with a pass break-up ... Had seven tackles, including two for loss, and a pass break-up against NC State ... Tallied a tackle for loss at Duke ... Made six tackles at Georgia Tech ... Finished the season with two tackles against Miami.

    Seems like a guy that just kept getting better and better.

    For Rey

    2007: Maualuga returned for his second season as USC's starting middle linebacker as a junior in 2007 and led the team in tackles. Overall in 2007 while appearing in all 13 games (starting all but the Notre Dame game, in which he was limited because of a hip pointer), he had 79 tackles, including 10.5 for losses of 40 yards (with 6 sacks for minus 32 yards), plus 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception (returned for 19 yards) and 3 deflections. He was named to the 2007 Phil Steele's All-American third team, Collegefootballnews.com All-American honorable mention, Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, All-Pac-10 first team (for the second year in a row), Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first team, Phil Steele's All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team.

    He had 4 tackles versus Idaho, 6 tackles (including 1.5 for losses) at Nebraska and 6 stops against Washington State. He then had a game-high 10 tackles (1 for a loss) at Washington, a game-high 10 tackles (with a sack) against Stanford, 4 tackles at Arizona, 3 tackles (including 2 sacks) at Notre Dame, 11 stops (1 for a loss) and a fumble recovery at Oregon, 5 tackles (including 1 for a loss) and a deflection against Oregon State, 5 tackles at California and 3 stops at Arizona Stae. He had a game-high 8 tackles and a deflection against UCLA. Against Illinois, he had 3 sacks among his 4 tackles and added an interception (returned 19 yards to set up a USC TD) and a forced fumble to earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP, ESPN.com All-Bowl Team and CBSSportsline.com All-Bowl Team honors.

    2006: Maualuga started most of 2006 at middle linebacker as a sophomore and proved to be an impact player. Overall in 2006 while appearing in all 13 games (he started all but Arkansas, Oregon State and Notre Dame), he had a 78 tackles, including 5 for losses of 17 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 8 yards), an interception, 3 deflections and a forced fumble. He made the 2006 Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, Collegefootballnews.com Sophomore All-American first team, All-Pac-10 first team, ESPN.com All-Pac-10 first team, Scout.com All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team and was 1 of 10 semifinalists for the 2006 Butkus Award.

    He had 6 tackles at Arkansas, then a game-high and personal-best 11 tackles (1 for a loss) versus Nebraska, 4 tackles, including 2 for a loss (with a sack), and an interception at Arizona and a team-best 9 tackles with a deflection at Washington State. He added 5 tackles and a deflection against Washington, a team-best 8 tackles against Arizona State, 7 stops at Oregon State, 5 tackles (0.5 for a loss) at Stanford and 6 stops and a forced fumble against Oregon. He made 4 tackles (0.5 for a loss) against California, 3 tackles and a deflection against Notre Dame, 7 tackles (with a sack) at UCLA and 2 stops versus Michigan.

    2005: Maualuga was an effective and often-used backup middle linebacker and key special teams player as a first-year freshman in 2005. Overall in 2005 while appearing in 12 games (all but Hawaii), he had 37 tackles, including 4.5 for losses of 23 yards (with an 8-yard sack), plus he had 2 forced fumbles, 2 deflections and an interception that he returned 9 yards. He also returned 1 kickoff for 7 yards (7.0 avg). He had a team-best 9 tackles (1 for a loss), 2 forced fumbles (both recovered by USC to set up touchdowns) and 2 deflections against UCLA, 6 tackles (with the sack) and the interception at California, another 6 stops against Washington State, 5 tackles versus Stanford, 3 stops (2 for losses) against Arkansas and another 3 versus Fresno State. He made a tackle and returned a short kickoff 7 yards against Texas. He made the 2005 Football Writers Freshman All-American first team and Scout.com Freshman All-American first team. He won USC's John McKay Award (most competitive spirit).

  • Nice back and forth between Alo and Flugs, two of my favorite posters. Much thanks for all of the knowledge the two of you provide.

    Also, I'm loving Alo's videos. Greatly appreciated!

    Beanpot

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #33

    @beanpot said:

    Nice back and forth between Alo and Flugs, two of my favorite posters. Much thanks for all of the knowledge the two of you provide.

    Also, I'm loving Alo's videos. Greatly appreciated!

    Beanpot

    Thanks Beans! Aloy is as good as it gets whether we agree on Rey or not. We're not here to agree on everything anyway - and it makes for interesting conversation sometimes. He's alot like you are - if I'm gonna debate him I better have a good Joe Friday in me or I'm in trouble.

    - Tom F.

  • @sony-reed said:

    Aaron Curry has had ONE DOMINAT YEAR, Rey has had 4.

    One dominant year?

    2007 (Junior):

    Second team All-ACC linebacker as a junior ... Earned second team All-America honors from CollegeSportsReport.com ... Was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week after the North Carolina game when he had seven tackles and two interceptions including an 84-yard return for a touchdown ... Earned the ACC Defensive Back of the Week award for his efforts against NC State (8 tackles, 1 interception, 57-yard return for a touchdown) ... Tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns the school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256) ... His 84-yard interception return for a touchdown against Army (Sept. 15) ranks as the fourth-longest in school history ... Led the Deacons with eight tackles and also had a 57-yard interception return for a touchdown ... Second on the team with 99 tackles ... Team leader with 13.5 tackles for loss ... Also collected three sacks during the season ... Picked off two passes vs. North Carolina (Oct. 27) ... Finished tied for 13th in the ACC in tackles with 99 ... Ranks 10th in the school record books with 29.5 career tackles for loss ... Had three games of 10 or more tackles including 11 vs. Boston College (Sept. 1), 12 vs. Navy (Oct. 20) and 13 vs. Vanderbilt (Nov. 24)

    2006 (Sophomore):

    Started all 14 games at outside linebacker ... Ranked 42nd in the ACC averaging 4.9 tackles per game ... Ranked second on the team with 83 tackles ... Tied for fourth on the team with 8.5 tackles for loss and three sacks ... Broke up three passes and intercepted one ... Forced two fumbles ... Made a season-high 10 tackles at Maryland ... Recorded multiple tackle for loss games against Connecticut and North Carolina ... Intercepted a pass in the ACC Championship Game and returned it 30 yards.

    2005 (Redshirt Freshman):

    Named second team Freshman All-American and to the ACC All-Freshman Team by The Sporting News ... The team's fifth-leading tackler (45) ... Ranked third on the team with 7.5 tackles for loss ... Finished fourth on the team with five pass break-ups ... Played in all 11 games and started the final 10 ... Claimed a starting role in the second game of the season and never let go ... Had four solo tackles in his career debut against Vanderbilt ... Tallied four tackles at Nebraska, including one for loss, and a pass break-up ... Posted one tackle for loss against East Carolina ... Made four tackles in the Maryland game, including one for loss ... Blocked a punt against Clemson and made three tackles ... Had his most productive game at Florida State with seven tackles, a sack, a tackle for loss and two pass break-ups ... Posted five tackles in the Boston College game with a pass break-up ... Had seven tackles, including two for loss, and a pass break-up against NC State ... Tallied a tackle for loss at Duke ... Made six tackles at Georgia Tech ... Finished the season with two tackles against Miami.

    Seems like a guy that just kept getting better and better.

    For Rey

    2007: Maualuga returned for his second season as USC's starting middle linebacker as a junior in 2007 and led the team in tackles. Overall in 2007 while appearing in all 13 games (starting all but the Notre Dame game, in which he was limited because of a hip pointer), he had 79 tackles, including 10.5 for losses of 40 yards (with 6 sacks for minus 32 yards), plus 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception (returned for 19 yards) and 3 deflections. He was named to the 2007 Phil Steele's All-American third team, Collegefootballnews.com All-American honorable mention, Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, All-Pac-10 first team (for the second year in a row), Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first team, Phil Steele's All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team.

    He had 4 tackles versus Idaho, 6 tackles (including 1.5 for losses) at Nebraska and 6 stops against Washington State. He then had a game-high 10 tackles (1 for a loss) at Washington, a game-high 10 tackles (with a sack) against Stanford, 4 tackles at Arizona, 3 tackles (including 2 sacks) at Notre Dame, 11 stops (1 for a loss) and a fumble recovery at Oregon, 5 tackles (including 1 for a loss) and a deflection against Oregon State, 5 tackles at California and 3 stops at Arizona Stae. He had a game-high 8 tackles and a deflection against UCLA. Against Illinois, he had 3 sacks among his 4 tackles and added an interception (returned 19 yards to set up a USC TD) and a forced fumble to earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP, ESPN.com All-Bowl Team and CBSSportsline.com All-Bowl Team honors.

    2006: Maualuga started most of 2006 at middle linebacker as a sophomore and proved to be an impact player. Overall in 2006 while appearing in all 13 games (he started all but Arkansas, Oregon State and Notre Dame), he had a 78 tackles, including 5 for losses of 17 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 8 yards), an interception, 3 deflections and a forced fumble. He made the 2006 Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, Collegefootballnews.com Sophomore All-American first team, All-Pac-10 first team, ESPN.com All-Pac-10 first team, Scout.com All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team and was 1 of 10 semifinalists for the 2006 Butkus Award.

    He had 6 tackles at Arkansas, then a game-high and personal-best 11 tackles (1 for a loss) versus Nebraska, 4 tackles, including 2 for a loss (with a sack), and an interception at Arizona and a team-best 9 tackles with a deflection at Washington State. He added 5 tackles and a deflection against Washington, a team-best 8 tackles against Arizona State, 7 stops at Oregon State, 5 tackles (0.5 for a loss) at Stanford and 6 stops and a forced fumble against Oregon. He made 4 tackles (0.5 for a loss) against California, 3 tackles and a deflection against Notre Dame, 7 tackles (with a sack) at UCLA and 2 stops versus Michigan.

    2005: Maualuga was an effective and often-used backup middle linebacker and key special teams player as a first-year freshman in 2005. Overall in 2005 while appearing in 12 games (all but Hawaii), he had 37 tackles, including 4.5 for losses of 23 yards (with an 8-yard sack), plus he had 2 forced fumbles, 2 deflections and an interception that he returned 9 yards. He also returned 1 kickoff for 7 yards (7.0 avg). He had a team-best 9 tackles (1 for a loss), 2 forced fumbles (both recovered by USC to set up touchdowns) and 2 deflections against UCLA, 6 tackles (with the sack) and the interception at California, another 6 stops against Washington State, 5 tackles versus Stanford, 3 stops (2 for losses) against Arkansas and another 3 versus Fresno State. He made a tackle and returned a short kickoff 7 yards against Texas. He made the 2005 Football Writers Freshman All-American first team and Scout.com Freshman All-American first team. He won USC's John McKay Award (most competitive spirit).

    S Sony Reed wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Masters said:

    One dominant year?

    2007 (Junior):

    Second team All-ACC linebacker as a junior ... Earned second team All-America honors from CollegeSportsReport.com ... Was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week after the North Carolina game when he had seven tackles and two interceptions including an 84-yard return for a touchdown ... Earned the ACC Defensive Back of the Week award for his efforts against NC State (8 tackles, 1 interception, 57-yard return for a touchdown) ... Tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns the school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256) ... His 84-yard interception return for a touchdown against Army (Sept. 15) ranks as the fourth-longest in school history ... Led the Deacons with eight tackles and also had a 57-yard interception return for a touchdown ... Second on the team with 99 tackles ... Team leader with 13.5 tackles for loss ... Also collected three sacks during the season ... Picked off two passes vs. North Carolina (Oct. 27) ... Finished tied for 13th in the ACC in tackles with 99 ... Ranks 10th in the school record books with 29.5 career tackles for loss ... Had three games of 10 or more tackles including 11 vs. Boston College (Sept. 1), 12 vs. Navy (Oct. 20) and 13 vs. Vanderbilt (Nov. 24)

    2006 (Sophomore):

    Started all 14 games at outside linebacker ... Ranked 42nd in the ACC averaging 4.9 tackles per game ... Ranked second on the team with 83 tackles ... Tied for fourth on the team with 8.5 tackles for loss and three sacks ... Broke up three passes and intercepted one ... Forced two fumbles ... Made a season-high 10 tackles at Maryland ... Recorded multiple tackle for loss games against Connecticut and North Carolina ... Intercepted a pass in the ACC Championship Game and returned it 30 yards.

    2005 (Redshirt Freshman):

    Named second team Freshman All-American and to the ACC All-Freshman Team by The Sporting News ... The team's fifth-leading tackler (45) ... Ranked third on the team with 7.5 tackles for loss ... Finished fourth on the team with five pass break-ups ... Played in all 11 games and started the final 10 ... Claimed a starting role in the second game of the season and never let go ... Had four solo tackles in his career debut against Vanderbilt ... Tallied four tackles at Nebraska, including one for loss, and a pass break-up ... Posted one tackle for loss against East Carolina ... Made four tackles in the Maryland game, including one for loss ... Blocked a punt against Clemson and made three tackles ... Had his most productive game at Florida State with seven tackles, a sack, a tackle for loss and two pass break-ups ... Posted five tackles in the Boston College game with a pass break-up ... Had seven tackles, including two for loss, and a pass break-up against NC State ... Tallied a tackle for loss at Duke ... Made six tackles at Georgia Tech ... Finished the season with two tackles against Miami.

    Seems like a guy that just kept getting better and better.

    For Rey

    2007: Maualuga returned for his second season as USC's starting middle linebacker as a junior in 2007 and led the team in tackles. Overall in 2007 while appearing in all 13 games (starting all but the Notre Dame game, in which he was limited because of a hip pointer), he had 79 tackles, including 10.5 for losses of 40 yards (with 6 sacks for minus 32 yards), plus 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception (returned for 19 yards) and 3 deflections. He was named to the 2007 Phil Steele's All-American third team, Collegefootballnews.com All-American honorable mention, Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, All-Pac-10 first team (for the second year in a row), Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first team, Phil Steele's All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team.

    He had 4 tackles versus Idaho, 6 tackles (including 1.5 for losses) at Nebraska and 6 stops against Washington State. He then had a game-high 10 tackles (1 for a loss) at Washington, a game-high 10 tackles (with a sack) against Stanford, 4 tackles at Arizona, 3 tackles (including 2 sacks) at Notre Dame, 11 stops (1 for a loss) and a fumble recovery at Oregon, 5 tackles (including 1 for a loss) and a deflection against Oregon State, 5 tackles at California and 3 stops at Arizona Stae. He had a game-high 8 tackles and a deflection against UCLA. Against Illinois, he had 3 sacks among his 4 tackles and added an interception (returned 19 yards to set up a USC TD) and a forced fumble to earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP, ESPN.com All-Bowl Team and CBSSportsline.com All-Bowl Team honors.

    2006: Maualuga started most of 2006 at middle linebacker as a sophomore and proved to be an impact player. Overall in 2006 while appearing in all 13 games (he started all but Arkansas, Oregon State and Notre Dame), he had a 78 tackles, including 5 for losses of 17 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 8 yards), an interception, 3 deflections and a forced fumble. He made the 2006 Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, Collegefootballnews.com Sophomore All-American first team, All-Pac-10 first team, ESPN.com All-Pac-10 first team, Scout.com All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team and was 1 of 10 semifinalists for the 2006 Butkus Award.

    He had 6 tackles at Arkansas, then a game-high and personal-best 11 tackles (1 for a loss) versus Nebraska, 4 tackles, including 2 for a loss (with a sack), and an interception at Arizona and a team-best 9 tackles with a deflection at Washington State. He added 5 tackles and a deflection against Washington, a team-best 8 tackles against Arizona State, 7 stops at Oregon State, 5 tackles (0.5 for a loss) at Stanford and 6 stops and a forced fumble against Oregon. He made 4 tackles (0.5 for a loss) against California, 3 tackles and a deflection against Notre Dame, 7 tackles (with a sack) at UCLA and 2 stops versus Michigan.

    2005: Maualuga was an effective and often-used backup middle linebacker and key special teams player as a first-year freshman in 2005. Overall in 2005 while appearing in 12 games (all but Hawaii), he had 37 tackles, including 4.5 for losses of 23 yards (with an 8-yard sack), plus he had 2 forced fumbles, 2 deflections and an interception that he returned 9 yards. He also returned 1 kickoff for 7 yards (7.0 avg). He had a team-best 9 tackles (1 for a loss), 2 forced fumbles (both recovered by USC to set up touchdowns) and 2 deflections against UCLA, 6 tackles (with the sack) and the interception at California, another 6 stops against Washington State, 5 tackles versus Stanford, 3 stops (2 for losses) against Arkansas and another 3 versus Fresno State. He made a tackle and returned a short kickoff 7 yards against Texas. He made the 2005 Football Writers Freshman All-American first team and Scout.com Freshman All-American first team. He won USC's John McKay Award (most competitive spirit).

    Masters are you saying that the competition that Curry played against in the ACC was the same that Rey played against at USC

    What about the Big games that USC and Rey played on National TV where he made big plays and game changing plays

    What big games has Curry played and dominated in?

    Rey has been considered a high 1st round pick for the past seasons, before this last season Curry was thought of as no more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick

    Everybody has there favorite and while most people want to point out the things that Rey does not do well, how come we don't hear about the things that Curry does not do very well, take a look at the Bowl game against Navy and Curry did not look very impressive and there were a few other games early in the season that Curry did not look that great and its not like Curry did not have other talented players on that Wake Forrest defense and you can't compare the competition that Wake Forrest played compared to the top teams USC plays.

    IMO I just feel that Rey will be more of a impact player in the NFL than Curry and what team that drafts Rey might be looking at the Defensive Rookie Of The Year, and I am not taking anything away from Curry who I feel will be a good solid player but I feel Rey will be a Pro Bowl type player for many years and a intimating force in the middle of the field and make the players around him better players, he will raise the intensity of the other defensive players around him like Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

  • Masters said:

    One dominant year?

    2007 (Junior):

    Second team All-ACC linebacker as a junior ... Earned second team All-America honors from CollegeSportsReport.com ... Was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week after the North Carolina game when he had seven tackles and two interceptions including an 84-yard return for a touchdown ... Earned the ACC Defensive Back of the Week award for his efforts against NC State (8 tackles, 1 interception, 57-yard return for a touchdown) ... Tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns the school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256) ... His 84-yard interception return for a touchdown against Army (Sept. 15) ranks as the fourth-longest in school history ... Led the Deacons with eight tackles and also had a 57-yard interception return for a touchdown ... Second on the team with 99 tackles ... Team leader with 13.5 tackles for loss ... Also collected three sacks during the season ... Picked off two passes vs. North Carolina (Oct. 27) ... Finished tied for 13th in the ACC in tackles with 99 ... Ranks 10th in the school record books with 29.5 career tackles for loss ... Had three games of 10 or more tackles including 11 vs. Boston College (Sept. 1), 12 vs. Navy (Oct. 20) and 13 vs. Vanderbilt (Nov. 24)

    2006 (Sophomore):

    Started all 14 games at outside linebacker ... Ranked 42nd in the ACC averaging 4.9 tackles per game ... Ranked second on the team with 83 tackles ... Tied for fourth on the team with 8.5 tackles for loss and three sacks ... Broke up three passes and intercepted one ... Forced two fumbles ... Made a season-high 10 tackles at Maryland ... Recorded multiple tackle for loss games against Connecticut and North Carolina ... Intercepted a pass in the ACC Championship Game and returned it 30 yards.

    2005 (Redshirt Freshman):

    Named second team Freshman All-American and to the ACC All-Freshman Team by The Sporting News ... The team's fifth-leading tackler (45) ... Ranked third on the team with 7.5 tackles for loss ... Finished fourth on the team with five pass break-ups ... Played in all 11 games and started the final 10 ... Claimed a starting role in the second game of the season and never let go ... Had four solo tackles in his career debut against Vanderbilt ... Tallied four tackles at Nebraska, including one for loss, and a pass break-up ... Posted one tackle for loss against East Carolina ... Made four tackles in the Maryland game, including one for loss ... Blocked a punt against Clemson and made three tackles ... Had his most productive game at Florida State with seven tackles, a sack, a tackle for loss and two pass break-ups ... Posted five tackles in the Boston College game with a pass break-up ... Had seven tackles, including two for loss, and a pass break-up against NC State ... Tallied a tackle for loss at Duke ... Made six tackles at Georgia Tech ... Finished the season with two tackles against Miami.

    Seems like a guy that just kept getting better and better.

    For Rey

    2007: Maualuga returned for his second season as USC's starting middle linebacker as a junior in 2007 and led the team in tackles. Overall in 2007 while appearing in all 13 games (starting all but the Notre Dame game, in which he was limited because of a hip pointer), he had 79 tackles, including 10.5 for losses of 40 yards (with 6 sacks for minus 32 yards), plus 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception (returned for 19 yards) and 3 deflections. He was named to the 2007 Phil Steele's All-American third team, Collegefootballnews.com All-American honorable mention, Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, All-Pac-10 first team (for the second year in a row), Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first team, Phil Steele's All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team.

    He had 4 tackles versus Idaho, 6 tackles (including 1.5 for losses) at Nebraska and 6 stops against Washington State. He then had a game-high 10 tackles (1 for a loss) at Washington, a game-high 10 tackles (with a sack) against Stanford, 4 tackles at Arizona, 3 tackles (including 2 sacks) at Notre Dame, 11 stops (1 for a loss) and a fumble recovery at Oregon, 5 tackles (including 1 for a loss) and a deflection against Oregon State, 5 tackles at California and 3 stops at Arizona Stae. He had a game-high 8 tackles and a deflection against UCLA. Against Illinois, he had 3 sacks among his 4 tackles and added an interception (returned 19 yards to set up a USC TD) and a forced fumble to earn Rose Bowl Defensive MVP, ESPN.com All-Bowl Team and CBSSportsline.com All-Bowl Team honors.

    2006: Maualuga started most of 2006 at middle linebacker as a sophomore and proved to be an impact player. Overall in 2006 while appearing in all 13 games (he started all but Arkansas, Oregon State and Notre Dame), he had a 78 tackles, including 5 for losses of 17 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 8 yards), an interception, 3 deflections and a forced fumble. He made the 2006 Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, Collegefootballnews.com Sophomore All-American first team, All-Pac-10 first team, ESPN.com All-Pac-10 first team, Scout.com All-Pac-10 first team and Rivals.com All-Pac-10 second team and was 1 of 10 semifinalists for the 2006 Butkus Award.

    He had 6 tackles at Arkansas, then a game-high and personal-best 11 tackles (1 for a loss) versus Nebraska, 4 tackles, including 2 for a loss (with a sack), and an interception at Arizona and a team-best 9 tackles with a deflection at Washington State. He added 5 tackles and a deflection against Washington, a team-best 8 tackles against Arizona State, 7 stops at Oregon State, 5 tackles (0.5 for a loss) at Stanford and 6 stops and a forced fumble against Oregon. He made 4 tackles (0.5 for a loss) against California, 3 tackles and a deflection against Notre Dame, 7 tackles (with a sack) at UCLA and 2 stops versus Michigan.

    2005: Maualuga was an effective and often-used backup middle linebacker and key special teams player as a first-year freshman in 2005. Overall in 2005 while appearing in 12 games (all but Hawaii), he had 37 tackles, including 4.5 for losses of 23 yards (with an 8-yard sack), plus he had 2 forced fumbles, 2 deflections and an interception that he returned 9 yards. He also returned 1 kickoff for 7 yards (7.0 avg). He had a team-best 9 tackles (1 for a loss), 2 forced fumbles (both recovered by USC to set up touchdowns) and 2 deflections against UCLA, 6 tackles (with the sack) and the interception at California, another 6 stops against Washington State, 5 tackles versus Stanford, 3 stops (2 for losses) against Arkansas and another 3 versus Fresno State. He made a tackle and returned a short kickoff 7 yards against Texas. He made the 2005 Football Writers Freshman All-American first team and Scout.com Freshman All-American first team. He won USC's John McKay Award (most competitive spirit).

    Masters are you saying that the competition that Curry played against in the ACC was the same that Rey played against at USC

    What about the Big games that USC and Rey played on National TV where he made big plays and game changing plays

    What big games has Curry played and dominated in?

    Rey has been considered a high 1st round pick for the past seasons, before this last season Curry was thought of as no more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick

    Everybody has there favorite and while most people want to point out the things that Rey does not do well, how come we don't hear about the things that Curry does not do very well, take a look at the Bowl game against Navy and Curry did not look very impressive and there were a few other games early in the season that Curry did not look that great and its not like Curry did not have other talented players on that Wake Forrest defense and you can't compare the competition that Wake Forrest played compared to the top teams USC plays.

    IMO I just feel that Rey will be more of a impact player in the NFL than Curry and what team that drafts Rey might be looking at the Defensive Rookie Of The Year, and I am not taking anything away from Curry who I feel will be a good solid player but I feel Rey will be a Pro Bowl type player for many years and a intimating force in the middle of the field and make the players around him better players, he will raise the intensity of the other defensive players around him like Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @sony-reed said:

    Masters are you saying that the competition that Curry played against in the ACC was the same that Rey played against at USC

    What about the Big games that USC and Rey played on National TV where he made big plays and game changing plays

    What big games has Curry played and dominated in?

    Rey has been considered a high 1st round pick for the past seasons, before this last season Curry was thought of as no more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick

    Everybody has there favorite and while most people want to point out the things that Rey does not do well, how come we don't hear about the things that Curry does not do very well, take a look at the Bowl game against Navy and Curry did not look very impressive and there were a few other games early in the season that Curry did not look that great and its not like Curry did not have other talented players on that Wake Forrest defense and you can't compare the competition that Wake Forrest played compared to the top teams USC plays.

    IMO I just feel that Rey will be more of a impact player in the NFL than Curry and what team that drafts Rey might be looking at the Defensive Rookie Of The Year, and I am not taking anything away from Curry who I feel will be a good solid player but I feel Rey will be a Pro Bowl type player for many years and a intimating force in the middle of the field and make the players around him better players, he will raise the intensity of the other defensive players around him like Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

    If you watch Pac-10 football, then yes I am saying that. In the PAC-10 there is USC and then no one (other than the one team that always finds a way to beat USC).

    Rey played on USC. He's got Mays, Cushing, and Clay playing there, along with several other great players each year.

    Because there isn't anything Curry doesn't do well. He can play inside and outside, cover, stuff the run, and rush the QB. He's the complete package and his game tape shows that. While USC game tape shows you Rey over persues, has trouble in coverage (unless simple zone), and his own coaches pull him off the field in passing downs. He also isn't a unanimous best LB on his own team.

    Wake played Ol Miss (bowl team), FLA St. (bowl team), Clemson (bowl team), Maryland (bowl team), Miami, BC (bowl team) and Vandy. Not exactly a cup cake schedule and compition there. Seeing as how all those teams will be sending players to the NFL

    I fell Rey will not be an impact player at the next level. Especially in a 3-4 D. He'll be a solid MLB, make a lot of tackles, but he won't light it up. He will have as many big wiffs as he'll have big hits. He also won't see the field on passing downs in the NFL. I also don't buy he will be a leader in the NFL, which makes zero chance of being like Lewis. The players around him make him better, not the other way around at USC.

    To me, Rey is a solid LB, and I'd certainly use a late 1st or early 2nd round pick on him. He can play right away, so he has value. But not in the top 10. I'd take Cushing over him all day if you made me choose between the two USC LBs.

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #36

    Wake played Ol Miss (bowl team), FLA St. (bowl team), Clemson (bowl team), Maryland (bowl team), Miami, BC (bowl team) and Vandy. Not exactly a cup cake schedule and compition there. Seeing as how all those teams will be sending players to the NFL

    I fell Rey will not be an impact player at the next level. Especially in a 3-4 D. He'll be a solid MLB, make a lot of tackles, but he won't light it up. He will have as many big wiffs as he'll have big hits. He also won't see the field on passing downs in the NFL. I also don't buy he will be a leader in the NFL, which makes zero chance of being like Lewis. The players around him make him better, not the other way around at USC.

    To me, Rey is a solid LB, and I'd certainly use a late 1st or early 2nd round pick on him. He can play right away, so he has value. But not in the top 10. I'd take Cushing over him all day if you made me choose between the two USC LBs.

    - Masters

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I think BOTH kids are terrific in their own way. If I THOUGHT we had a legit shot at drafting Curry at #5 - I might have dedicated a thread to him. The reason I did this one up is because Rey is often described by the casual fan as a liability against the pass so I thought I'd dig a little. And you know what? It only took a little. All of the more POPULAR pass rushing LBers at USC never strung together 6 sacks in any 1 season the last 4 years and none of them came close to his # of INTs in that span.

    Since they are out on the edge, SOMETIMES they got walkoff responsibilities in the flats so I was expecting to see more than the sum of 1 for Matthews and Cushing. One of the coolest highlights I saw of Lawrence Taylor was him snagging an INT in the flats and taking it 97 yards for a score. There's your Christopher Columbus of the OLBer position the way EVERYONE dreams it up in the 3-4.

    Perhaps the BIGGEST thing speaking highly of Rey isn't what was said by his coaches BUT their desire to keep him on the field on 3rd downs during the 4 years. Rey makes ALOT of his highlight reel hits on pass plays so I at least see why Kenny Norton and Pete Carroll loved him in there. It's nice when the opponent thinks he's a badass that wants to HURT them in the middle. Teams have to account for that. That's called presence and it's exactly what we don't have.

    For what it's worth, ILBers usually just have hook zones so they're not usually going to be known for being on the hip in coverages. One of my FAVORITE ILBers ever was Chris Spielman who used to get PISSED when his team took him out on passing situations/downs. That happened in Buffalo AND Detroit. Never meant he wasn't a good ILBer.

    As for Curry, he reminds me more of Clay Matthews than Clay Matthews III does. I think he can do everything extremely well. Clay Matthews' greatest asset was his first step brilliance that's usually handed down from God above more so than coaching. It's a blend of instinct and intelligence. When I see highlights of Curry it's usually a diagnosis at the snap where he's making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. While I see gradual improvement from D'Qwell, I'd PREFER to see him making more plays at or behind the line of scrimmage like Curry does. Just as Clay could play inside or outside - Curry has that same type of flexibity that scouts want.

    I don't think the conferences they played in will HURT either kid moving forward.

    - Tom F.

  • Wake played Ol Miss (bowl team), FLA St. (bowl team), Clemson (bowl team), Maryland (bowl team), Miami, BC (bowl team) and Vandy. Not exactly a cup cake schedule and compition there. Seeing as how all those teams will be sending players to the NFL

    I fell Rey will not be an impact player at the next level. Especially in a 3-4 D. He'll be a solid MLB, make a lot of tackles, but he won't light it up. He will have as many big wiffs as he'll have big hits. He also won't see the field on passing downs in the NFL. I also don't buy he will be a leader in the NFL, which makes zero chance of being like Lewis. The players around him make him better, not the other way around at USC.

    To me, Rey is a solid LB, and I'd certainly use a late 1st or early 2nd round pick on him. He can play right away, so he has value. But not in the top 10. I'd take Cushing over him all day if you made me choose between the two USC LBs.

    - Masters

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I think BOTH kids are terrific in their own way. If I THOUGHT we had a legit shot at drafting Curry at #5 - I might have dedicated a thread to him. The reason I did this one up is because Rey is often described by the casual fan as a liability against the pass so I thought I'd dig a little. And you know what? It only took a little. All of the more POPULAR pass rushing LBers at USC never strung together 6 sacks in any 1 season the last 4 years and none of them came close to his # of INTs in that span.

    Since they are out on the edge, SOMETIMES they got walkoff responsibilities in the flats so I was expecting to see more than the sum of 1 for Matthews and Cushing. One of the coolest highlights I saw of Lawrence Taylor was him snagging an INT in the flats and taking it 97 yards for a score. There's your Christopher Columbus of the OLBer position the way EVERYONE dreams it up in the 3-4.

    Perhaps the BIGGEST thing speaking highly of Rey isn't what was said by his coaches BUT their desire to keep him on the field on 3rd downs during the 4 years. Rey makes ALOT of his highlight reel hits on pass plays so I at least see why Kenny Norton and Pete Carroll loved him in there. It's nice when the opponent thinks he's a badass that wants to HURT them in the middle. Teams have to account for that. That's called presence and it's exactly what we don't have.

    For what it's worth, ILBers usually just have hook zones so they're not usually going to be known for being on the hip in coverages. One of my FAVORITE ILBers ever was Chris Spielman who used to get PISSED when his team took him out on passing situations/downs. That happened in Buffalo AND Detroit. Never meant he wasn't a good ILBer.

    As for Curry, he reminds me more of Clay Matthews than Clay Matthews III does. I think he can do everything extremely well. Clay Matthews' greatest asset was his first step brilliance that's usually handed down from God above more so than coaching. It's a blend of instinct and intelligence. When I see highlights of Curry it's usually a diagnosis at the snap where he's making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. While I see gradual improvement from D'Qwell, I'd PREFER to see him making more plays at or behind the line of scrimmage like Curry does. Just as Clay could play inside or outside - Curry has that same type of flexibity that scouts want.

    I don't think the conferences they played in will HURT either kid moving forward.

    - Tom F.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @flugel said:

    I think BOTH kids are terrific in their own way. If I THOUGHT we had a legit shot at drafting Curry at #5 - I might have dedicated a thread to him. The reason I did this one up is because Rey is often described by the casual fan as a liability against the pass so I thought I'd dig a little. And you know what? It only took a little. All of the more POPULAR pass rushing LBers at USC never strung together 6 sacks in any 1 season the last 4 years and none of them

    Since they are out on the edge, SOMETIMES they got walkoff responsibilities in the flats so I was expecting to see more than the sum of 1 for Matthews and Cushing. One of the coolest highlights I saw of Lawrence Taylor was him snagging an INT in the flats and taking it 97 yards for a score. There's your Christopher Columbus of the OLBer position the way EVERYONE dreams it up in the 3-4.

    Perhaps the BIGGEST thing speaking highly of Rey isn't what was said by his coaches BUT their desire to keep him on the field on 3rd downs during the 4 years. Rey makes ALOT of his highlight reel hits on pass plays so I at least see why Kenny Norton and Pete Carroll loved him in there. It's nice when the opponent thinks he's a badass that wants to HURT them in the middle. Teams have to account for that. That's called presence and it's exactly what we don't have.

    For what it's worth, ILBers usually just have hook zones so they're not usually going to be known for being on the hip in coverages. One of my FAVORITE ILBers ever was Chris Spielman who used to get PISSED when his team took him out on passing situations/downs. That happened in Buffalo AND Detroit. Never meant he wasn't a good ILBer.

    As for Curry, he reminds me more of Clay Matthews than Clay Matthews III does. I think he can do everything extremely well. Clay Matthews' greatest asset was his first step brilliance that's usually handed down from God above more so than coaching. It's a blend of instinct and intelligence. When I see highlights of Curry it's usually a diagnosis at the snap where he's making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. While I see gradual improvement from D'Qwell, I'd PREFER to see him making more plays at or behind the line of scrimmage like Curry does. Just as Clay could play inside or outside - Curry has that same type of flexibity that scouts want.

    I don't think the conferences they played in will HURT either kid moving forward.

    - Tom F.

    Great stuff Tom.

    I think all 3 kids out of USC, and Curry will be find success in the NFL, it's just the level of it, where you take them, which is ultimately what you pay them from the get go. When looking at bang for my buck at #5, only Curry is worth that to me. If I am in the top 20, it's Rey and Cushing, and I favor Cushing for his versitiltiy. If you are a 3-4, your asking Rey to play the roll of the banger and you don't pay a ton of cash to a guy to ram his head into the walll over and over.

    I did like your comment about LT, and when I read that the first thing I thought of was Curry. Those plays are what he has done in college. The kid tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns WF school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256). That's quite a showing for an OLB.

  • @flugel said:

    I think BOTH kids are terrific in their own way. If I THOUGHT we had a legit shot at drafting Curry at #5 - I might have dedicated a thread to him. The reason I did this one up is because Rey is often described by the casual fan as a liability against the pass so I thought I'd dig a little. And you know what? It only took a little. All of the more POPULAR pass rushing LBers at USC never strung together 6 sacks in any 1 season the last 4 years and none of them

    Since they are out on the edge, SOMETIMES they got walkoff responsibilities in the flats so I was expecting to see more than the sum of 1 for Matthews and Cushing. One of the coolest highlights I saw of Lawrence Taylor was him snagging an INT in the flats and taking it 97 yards for a score. There's your Christopher Columbus of the OLBer position the way EVERYONE dreams it up in the 3-4.

    Perhaps the BIGGEST thing speaking highly of Rey isn't what was said by his coaches BUT their desire to keep him on the field on 3rd downs during the 4 years. Rey makes ALOT of his highlight reel hits on pass plays so I at least see why Kenny Norton and Pete Carroll loved him in there. It's nice when the opponent thinks he's a badass that wants to HURT them in the middle. Teams have to account for that. That's called presence and it's exactly what we don't have.

    For what it's worth, ILBers usually just have hook zones so they're not usually going to be known for being on the hip in coverages. One of my FAVORITE ILBers ever was Chris Spielman who used to get PISSED when his team took him out on passing situations/downs. That happened in Buffalo AND Detroit. Never meant he wasn't a good ILBer.

    As for Curry, he reminds me more of Clay Matthews than Clay Matthews III does. I think he can do everything extremely well. Clay Matthews' greatest asset was his first step brilliance that's usually handed down from God above more so than coaching. It's a blend of instinct and intelligence. When I see highlights of Curry it's usually a diagnosis at the snap where he's making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. While I see gradual improvement from D'Qwell, I'd PREFER to see him making more plays at or behind the line of scrimmage like Curry does. Just as Clay could play inside or outside - Curry has that same type of flexibity that scouts want.

    I don't think the conferences they played in will HURT either kid moving forward.

    - Tom F.

    Great stuff Tom.

    I think all 3 kids out of USC, and Curry will be find success in the NFL, it's just the level of it, where you take them, which is ultimately what you pay them from the get go. When looking at bang for my buck at #5, only Curry is worth that to me. If I am in the top 20, it's Rey and Cushing, and I favor Cushing for his versitiltiy. If you are a 3-4, your asking Rey to play the roll of the banger and you don't pay a ton of cash to a guy to ram his head into the walll over and over.

    I did like your comment about LT, and when I read that the first thing I thought of was Curry. Those plays are what he has done in college. The kid tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns WF school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256). That's quite a showing for an OLB.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #38

    Masters said:

    Great stuff Tom.

    I think all 3 kids out of USC, and Curry will be find success in the NFL, it's just the level of it, where you take them, which is ultimately what you pay them from the get go. When looking at bang for my buck at #5, only Curry is worth that to me. If I am in the top 20, it's Rey and Cushing, and I favor Cushing for his versitiltiy. If you are a 3-4, your asking Rey to play the roll of the banger and you don't pay a ton of cash to a guy to ram his head into the walll over and over.

    I did like your comment about LT, and when I read that the first thing I thought of was Curry. Those plays are what he has done in college. The kid tied an NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three ... Owns WF school records for interception return yards in a season (226) and career (256). That's quite a showing for an OLB.

    Thanks Masters. Some very good points. I'd LOVE to get Curry at #5 but since that's the case, count on him going anywhere between #2 and #4. I hear what you are saying about the banger thing because a guy like Katzenmoyer whom I adored at Ohio State got the career ending neck injury from too many of those collisions over time. I just HATE the LBing I've seen in Cleveland the last 5 years so I can't help myself with contemplating what it would be like to have a strong presence at ILBer for a refreshing change. Human nature is to want what you don't have.

    I said this in another post earlier in the year and it might be a little corny. To me - Rey is a MOOD. I go right back to what made me say WOW 4 different times the first game I saw him play. He was absolutely KILLING the guy with the ball. This guy had such forceful collisions that footballs were being jarred loose. I don't think I've ever had the same first impression from another defensive player.

    So what's this MOOD thing I speak of? My favorite team has lacked an impactful defensive player since the day Jamir Miller tore his achilles tendon. Currently, NOBODY in our LBer Corps hits hard enough to cause fumbles. It's about time we CHANGE that complacency which our division has come to expect from the Cleveland Browns. I can't tell you when the last time one of our LBers drilled someone hard enough to pry a football loose. It's almost embarassing because that's supposed to be the nature of a 3-4 which predicates its success on the play of it's LBers.

    I understand Rey isn't perfect BUT if you stand him up behind Shaun Rogers - how's that CHEMISTRY lookin? Sometimes it's all about the best FIT. If Shaun is taking on all the blockers - that's a pretty good gig for a MEAN basterd like Rey. We lost 2 games 10-6 last year. Can you imagine if we had a guy like Rey getting us some turnovers on nights like that? How about just drilling some WR so hard on a short slant route that he'll never want that pattern again? That's called the presence we long for. I want those receivers crossing Rey's face as terrified as that little kid on the raft in the movie Jaws. I'm in the MOOD!!!

    I know alot of people are seeing #5 overall and wondering if Rey is a reach. Well, it depends. Back when Ray Lewis was coming out, he didn't get drafted until 26th or 27th overall. ALOT of people were saying he wasn't worthy of upper or middle first round. Guess what? He's only compared with alltime greats today so what did ANY of that pre-draft projecting really mean? IMO, the Browns have to do a better job of dangling performance incentives in front of their newly signed players (ie: body weight, turnovers caused, etc). I think Bryan Cox would work well with this kid as Kenny Norton did.

    - Tom F.