Skip to content

can someone explain why Soloman is on the field?

The Browns Board
66 21 1.8k
  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Like what does he do on an NFL field that justifies his presence there? Not knocking the guys toughness i'm sure he's a beast, but he get swallowed up every trip off the line. Gets washed out of every running play to his side, often by a single TE. Never fights out of a single block, I just don't understand. He's not particularly fast around the edge nor does he set a Golem like edge. What, does, he, do?

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Scott Solomon? I didn't think he's played since week 1?

    Getting Robertson back should be helpful (and Solomon)

  • medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #3

    IDK. I just know our D is a joke.

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Supposedly he did the best job setting the edge during preseason. Not seeing it so far.

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Would you date a chick whose father was nicknamed Bloodbath? Of course you would. Same principle applies.

  • Would you date a chick whose father was nicknamed Bloodbath? Of course you would. Same principle applies.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Would you date a chick whose father was nicknamed Bloodbath? Of course you would. Same principle applies.

    yeah but I don't think a guy named "bloodbath" take kindly to his daughter coming home walkin funny from takin it in the pooper all night. Wouldn't want to be that guy.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward
    #7

    I didn't even realize Solomon was playing so I guess he was pretty bad.

    Carder was pretty bad, but he put in tons of effort. Would like to see Robertson come back since he seems to be playing pretty good ball - also would like to see our money man Gipson get healthy and get back to form.

    Also, Mingo has made a few great plays in coverage this year - but why does it seem like we're not sending him on blitz more often? Or are we and I'm just missing it?

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #8

    On quite a few plays, Carder was completely shoved out of the play. He couldn't fight off blocks at all. It was an overall ugly effort by the linebackers.

  • On quite a few plays, Carder was completely shoved out of the play. He couldn't fight off blocks at all. It was an overall ugly effort by the linebackers.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @logicisforsquares said:

    On quite a few plays, Carder was completely shoved out of the play. He couldn't fight off blocks at all. It was an overall ugly effort by the linebackers.

    I don't think O'Neil's defense works unless it has stud OLBs and stud safeties (pretty much a mirror of Pettine's scheme - which heavily relies on safety play too). Currently we have neither and O'Neil is hoping that magically changes rather than adapting the scheme to make it work.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by Clevfan4life
    #10

    I didn't pay htat much attention to Carder but I did notice him on a few plays, I didn't see any glaring deficiencies but I'll take y'alls word for it if you saw it. I know I saw some "horrible" LB'ing from Dansby on a couple of replays on long runs. Both him and Solomon absolutely crapped themselves on one of Forsett's long runs. Just didn't look like thye belonged on an NFL field. On numerous replays i'd see Dansby filling one gap then trying to back out of it and slide to another one....it wsa just awful to see. Are ILB'ers are just so limp and tentative around the LOS. Our OLB'ers are equally as useless in either pass rushing or run defense. I saw Armonty once or twice beast his man off him so he can pinch down on the running lane, but other than that we're just not NFL quality at any of the LB'er positions.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Carder sucks bad, shouldn't be on the team

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Is Kirksey struggling this year?

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    First thing O'Neil must fix. This is not Hockey & line shifts our not necessary to get on & off the Field. You cannot blame just 1 guy or I unit in the mess I witnessed yesterday. This is a D unit Team missing assignments in far to many places. Manning, Oh good God 😵!!

  • First thing O'Neil must fix. This is not Hockey & line shifts our not necessary to get on & off the Field. You cannot blame just 1 guy or I unit in the mess I witnessed yesterday. This is a D unit Team missing assignments in far to many places. Manning, Oh good God 😵!!

    dawg2fanD dawg2fan wrote on last edited by dawg2fan
    #14

    @gumby73 said:

    First thing O'Neil must fix. This is not Hockey & line shifts our not necessary to get on & off the Field. You cannot blame just 1 guy or I unit in the mess I witnessed yesterday. This is a D unit Team missing assignments in far to many places. Manning, Oh good God 😵!!

    Not to get off topi but don't think you have to worry about Manning, but the Denver D in general. If we can keep those guys "somewhat" in check, we have a shot at winning.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #15

    Our offense has not played a good D since jets game. Hell yes we can beat the Broncos. But it's got to be the best performance on both sides of the ball we have seen all Season. All Men on deck & we got to get healthy on D this week. Need our best, Come on Robbie, Gippy and Haden find a way.

  • I didn't even realize Solomon was playing so I guess he was pretty bad.

    Carder was pretty bad, but he put in tons of effort. Would like to see Robertson come back since he seems to be playing pretty good ball - also would like to see our money man Gipson get healthy and get back to form.

    Also, Mingo has made a few great plays in coverage this year - but why does it seem like we're not sending him on blitz more often? Or are we and I'm just missing it?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Manning may be "diminished", but he's still dangerous.

    On Cardner and Solomon... I found their flying to the ball refreshing, even if they did not end up making the play.

    @bbedward said:

    Also, Mingo has made a few great plays in coverage this year - but why does it seem like we're not sending him on blitz more often? Or are we and I'm just missing it?

    One thing that was hard to miss was how thin Mingo looked. In the replays of that stretch he made to tip the goal line pass to the FB he looked borderline skinny.

    @bbedward said:

    I don't think O'Neil's defense works unless it has stud OLBs and stud safeties (pretty much a mirror of Pettine's scheme - which heavily relies on safety play too). Currently we have neither and O'Neil is hoping that magically changes rather than adapting the scheme to make it work.

    I think collectively we have now listed every Defensive position as critical.

  • Manning may be "diminished", but he's still dangerous.

    On Cardner and Solomon... I found their flying to the ball refreshing, even if they did not end up making the play.

    @bbedward said:

    Also, Mingo has made a few great plays in coverage this year - but why does it seem like we're not sending him on blitz more often? Or are we and I'm just missing it?

    One thing that was hard to miss was how thin Mingo looked. In the replays of that stretch he made to tip the goal line pass to the FB he looked borderline skinny.

    @bbedward said:

    I don't think O'Neil's defense works unless it has stud OLBs and stud safeties (pretty much a mirror of Pettine's scheme - which heavily relies on safety play too). Currently we have neither and O'Neil is hoping that magically changes rather than adapting the scheme to make it work.

    I think collectively we have now listed every Defensive position as critical.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tour2ma said:

    I think collectively we have now listed every Defensive position as critical.

    Honestly I'm not too sure what their problem is, but I know OLB/edge setting has been a huge weakness so far.

    I just remember after we hired Pettine one of the big things people talked about was how much his scheme relied on stud safeties and we had all those Jarius Byrd rumors - and so far Gipson has been weak and Whitner has continued to be average since last year.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Solomon? He's weak in run defense, but makes up for it by being less flexible than Kruger in pass coverage. Terrible player, but judged great by Pettine so he sees the field!

    It's time for some day drinking.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Just think, Soloman was so impressive to the staff that letting Sheard go wasn't a big deal. sigh

  • Just think, Soloman was so impressive to the staff that letting Sheard go wasn't a big deal. sigh

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @clevfan4life said:

    Just think, Soloman was so impressive to the staff that letting Sheard go wasn't a big deal. sigh

    I think Sheard had 2 sacks yesterday. More than our whole team.