Skip to content

Sacks

The Browns Board
57 21 1.8k
  • Ya know, when it comes to Peyton Manning, normally I would say that he has such good control of his offense, and knows defenses so well that it's difficult to sack him. But not now. There were MANY TIMES when he was sitting back in the pocket all damn day, and we couldn't even sniff his Papa John's Pizza breath. And it's not like this is a problem that only surfaced against the Broncos. We had ONE game where we got good pressure, and that was against a rookie who held onto the ball WAY too long. Most of the Titans sacks weren't because we did something right, they came because the rookie didn't know what he was doing.

    I have no idea what's wrong with our pass rush, I only know that it appears that OUR QUARTERBACK has about zero damn time to find someone, and opposing quarterbacks sit back there all day and pick us apart. Heck, the one sack we had against Flacco came because he freaking tripped. Paul Kruger looks VERY slow this year, and he's not getting home. I realize the Broncos are the best, but they usually rushed four people and were getting pressure, and if they brought more, we were totally screwed. Our team was supposed to be built on defense. Our coach was supposed to be good at creating schemes. Nothing, and I mean nothing is working out. Yeah, we got three turnovers last game, but we obviously still lost the game (The Colts game from last year come to mind?)

    I don't have any answers, I only know that I'm so angry...more than I have been in a long time. I absolutely HATE blowing a team up and starting over. As a fan, it's the worst. But what are we supposed to hope for? That our coach will somehow figure something out on defense? That he will magically come up with the right idea of how to actually stop the run? We don't set the edge, and we never have. I have no clue what will happen this season, but it sure feels like this last game may have taken it out of our team. That loss combined with the Johnny crap...makes it feel that we're spiraling down the rabbit hole of frustration, incompetence, and failure.

  • I agree with everyone that says we are shuttling the front seven in and out too much.

    Players aren't getting into flow if the game and the 300 lbers are already gassed when they line up against linemen who play every snap yet are not gassed.

    Z

  • The Panthers only have 3 more total sacks than we do and what is their record? Our D is coming together. I seen good things this last game. And with the win @ Baltimore

  • The Panthers only have 3 more total sacks than we do and what is their record? Our D is coming together. I seen good things this last game. And with the win @ Baltimore

    @medicineman said:

    The Panthers only have 3 more total sacks than we do and what is their record? Our D is coming together. I seen good things this last game. And with the win @ Baltimore

    what's the Panthers hurry stats? without knowing for sure i'm gonna assume they're around the QB a lot more than we are. I will give some of the credit to manning, he was getting rid of the ball quick so our rush did't have time to get there. But we do have some serious skill deficiencies on the edge..of that there is no question. Our edge guys just are not that capable. None of them need either double teamed or chipped, even against 2nd stringers.

    Kruger for one has been completely nerfed from the weight they dropped off him since his days at Blt. First with Horton than with Oneil. He's just not that explosive anymore. He's not a 3-4 OLB'er.

  • We have 10 sacks, but 7 of them were in the Titans game.

    3 Sacks in the other 5 games ....

    image.jpg

    Apparently, the key to getting sacks is to start Manziel at QB.

    Zombo

  • drafting a blue chip monster bull rushing DE or MLB might be a good thing to do along with maybe a tall big WR.

  • Kind of surprised this isn't a thread full of ballsacks.

  • drafting a blue chip monster bull rushing DE or MLB might be a good thing to do along with maybe a tall big WR.

    @miktoxic said:

    drafting a blue chip monster bull rushing DE

    I got someone in mind. ​

  • Let me guess who you have in mind, Some Buckeye?

  • well if you're from and a fan of an ohio team you'd prob want bosa.

    or someone from toledo, kent state, bgsu, ohio u, akron etc. etc.

    but in realization how come the browns never draft in-state? meanwhile the steelers love these guys.

  • Reggie Ragland may be right there when we pick. He is a true stud with 3-4 experience and more experience against pro-style teams than most.

  • OLBs are where it's at...

    ... and, yes, I have two turntables and a microphone...

  • Yeah I agree. Need to find one. I actually don't hate our ILBs as much as most, just responding to Mik.

  • OLBs are where it's at...

    ... and, yes, I have two turntables and a microphone...

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and, yes, I have two turntables and a microphone...

    on the wheels of steel. tour spinnin and rhyming.

  • I do recall us drafting a WR bk in 2011 I believe Brian Robeske or something like that but that is it.

  • well if you're from and a fan of an ohio team you'd prob want bosa.

    or someone from toledo, kent state, bgsu, ohio u, akron etc. etc.

    but in realization how come the browns never draft in-state? meanwhile the steelers love these guys.

    @miktoxic said:

    well if you're from and a fan of an ohio team you'd prob want bosa.

    or someone from toledo, kent state, bgsu, ohio u, akron etc. etc.

    but in realization how come the browns never draft in-state? meanwhile the steelers love these guys.

    I remember reading somewhere how the Steelers scouts and Buckeyes personnel are tight, Steelers get all the inside track on their players

  • I also think our atrocious run defense has something to do with our low sack numbers. Teams aren't in 3rd and long as much against a team that can't stop the rush, so the defenders aren't able to pin their ears back and get after the QB. I know that's not the case all the time, as even when we DO get teams 3rd and long we don't sniff the QB, but perhaps our run D has something to do with it. But what I really think it comes down to is personnel. We don't have "that guy" that teams have to fear. Nothing from Desmond Bryant last game, Kruger looks slow and ineffective, and even when we blitz, our players appear to be absorbed by the OL. It's freaking awful. As I keep saying, what future does a defensive coach have in the league when he can't coach defense? Yeah, I know we had some huge turnovers (finally), but it somehow wasn't enough. Reminds me of the Colts game last year (at least we drilled Luck a few times, and that penalty for roughing the passer STILL pisses me off).

  • Let me guess who you have in mind, Some Buckeye?

    @medicineman said:

    Let me guess who you have in mind, Some Buckeye?

    You psychic? How'd you guess? lols

    Yeah I want that 6'6 280lb beast. He's already as strong as any of our guys plus he goes around the edge better. Holds up at the point better, maintains his lateral vision around the blocker to diagnose run plays. I can't say enough about this guy. Of course he might bust. Khalil Mack might have busted too but a lot of us, including myself, badly wanted us to draft him. And look he was the best run stopper in football his rookie year. "Run stopper"....these kids coming out of college are NFL ready these days. The power and explosiveness I see from Bosa right now, is NFL ready. Of course whoever drafts him...I hope would make him even stronger and faster. But you put him on our roster right now...he might be the most skilled player on our front 7

  • Friend of mine played 2 years for Tressell then transferred to Pitt, who shares a facility with the Steelers. And yes, Fickell used to go visit Lebeau every summer to break things down.

  • If I were to draft somebody I would draft from the SEC they have the best D and play tougher teams and would help stop the run. But 1 thing I know for sure is our D needs big help stopping the run. I remember our D from my childhood and teams were afraid of our d, We need a M. Dean Perry and an Eric Turner, etc Our D was bad ass