Skip to content

You can't defend this circus anymore.

The Browns Board
187 39 7.1k
  • @mark-o said:

    That's not what you said. You said if we lose to the Cardinals someone is gettting fired.

    I don't think that is true......but with another poor performance against the run......and Chris Johnson is right now the #2 rusher in the league.....I just think that O'Neil will be digging his grave deeper.

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't think that is true......but with another poor performance against the run......and Chris Johnson is right now the #2 rusher in the league.....I just think that O'Neil will be digging his grave deeper.

    That's probably true Gipper. That said, I never got the impression this was O'NEIL's defense. It's Pettine's defense that is getting puppeted through O'Neil with a turbulent learning curve full of growing pains for the DC and players. If Jimmy ends up demanding that Pettine fires O'Neil - he's basically firing a part of himself. Not much different than when Modell wanted Marty to hire an OC back when Marty wanted to keep Infante's offense after he was gone. The problem wasn't the design of the offense it was the lack of organizational skills and lack of experience our Infante replacement had that led to big clock management blunders. More specifically, if it wasn't coming from Lindy Infante - it wasn't going to look like his offense to anyone but the Head Coach with the idea. I think we can find another DC candidate that can run hybrid fronts compatible with a lot of the personnel we have. This would actually promote more growth for Mike Pettine than staying in his comfort zone today.

    Last week, we began the game with the defense playing good. It was our offense that gave up the first TD while their turnovers and penalties never gave us a vibe they were going to be worth more than 2 FGs all game long. I wonder how it would have played out if we could have ever possessed the ball for a 7 -8 minute drive punctuated by a TD.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't think that is true......but with another poor performance against the run......and Chris Johnson is right now the #2 rusher in the league.....I just think that O'Neil will be digging his grave deeper.

    That's probably true Gipper. That said, I never got the impression this was O'NEIL's defense. It's Pettine's defense that is getting puppeted through O'Neil with a turbulent learning curve full of growing pains for the DC and players. If Jimmy ends up demanding that Pettine fires O'Neil - he's basically firing a part of himself. Not much different than when Modell wanted Marty to hire an OC back when Marty wanted to keep Infante's offense after he was gone. The problem wasn't the design of the offense it was the lack of organizational skills and lack of experience our Infante replacement had that led to big clock management blunders. More specifically, if it wasn't coming from Lindy Infante - it wasn't going to look like his offense to anyone but the Head Coach with the idea. I think we can find another DC candidate that can run hybrid fronts compatible with a lot of the personnel we have. This would actually promote more growth for Mike Pettine than staying in his comfort zone today.

    Last week, we began the game with the defense playing good. It was our offense that gave up the first TD while their turnovers and penalties never gave us a vibe they were going to be worth more than 2 FGs all game long. I wonder how it would have played out if we could have ever possessed the ball for a 7 -8 minute drive punctuated by a TD.

    @flugel said:

    I think we can find another DC candidate that can run hybrid fronts compatible with a lot of the personnel we have. This would actually promote more growth for Mike Pettine than staying in his comfort zone today.

    First, post 172, your long one was really good stuff.

    As for the above, great angle that hadn't really come up to this point. Group think is a deadly sin...

  • I can't defend this circus anymore.

    Need a new DC.....and while McCown can be OK at times....I think we need to get the fresh blood evaluated at QB.....be it JMZ or Davis.

  • I can't defend this circus anymore.

    Need a new DC.....and while McCown can be OK at times....I think we need to get the fresh blood evaluated at QB.....be it JMZ or Davis.

    @the-gipper said:

    I can't defend this circus anymore.

    Need a new DC.....and while McCown can be OK at times....I think we need to get the fresh blood evaluated at QB.....be it JMZ or Davis.

    If there's a Thursday Night Massacre in Bungle Town, It's going to get so ugly- I don't see anyway possible Pettine can "Stay the Course".

  • @the-gipper said:

    I can't defend this circus anymore.

    Need a new DC.....and while McCown can be OK at times....I think we need to get the fresh blood evaluated at QB.....be it JMZ or Davis.

    If there's a Thursday Night Massacre in Bungle Town, It's going to get so ugly- I don't see anyway possible Pettine can "Stay the Course".

    @hoorta said:

    If there's a Thursday Night Massacre in Bungle Town, It's going to get so ugly- I don't see anyway possible Pettine can "Stay the Course".

    Bye week......Pettine stays. DC's head rolls though....maybe another coach or two.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I can't defend this circus anymore.

    Need a new DC.....and while McCown can be OK at times....I think we need to get the fresh blood evaluated at QB.....be it JMZ or Davis.

    If there's a Thursday Night Massacre in Bungle Town, It's going to get so ugly- I don't see anyway possible Pettine can "Stay the Course".

    @hoorta said:

    If there's a Thursday Night Massacre in Bungle Town, It's going to get so ugly- I don't see anyway possible Pettine can "Stay the Course".

    it should be a massacre. bengals o has not erupted lately. they will thursday night.......

  • We're going to steam roll the Bengals this Thursday night. Book it.

  • Attaboy, bb...

    And I actually agree. Totally irrational, but I agree...

  • Attaboy, bb...

    And I actually agree. Totally irrational, but I agree...

    @tour2ma said:

    Attaboy, bb...

    And I actually agree. Totally irrational, but I agree...

    I think we'll win. But kickoff I'll believe that we steamroll them. But I believe that we are going to win every single week.

  • So many know it all's in here. I'm fucking amazed.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    So many know it all's in here. I'm fucking amazed.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    So many know it all's in here. I'm fucking amazed.

    you must be talking about the browns front office.

  • I'll put a 6 pack of Christmas ale up for anyone who wants to bet against the Browns 😉

  • I'll put a 6 pack of Christmas ale up for anyone who wants to bet against the Browns 😉

    @bbedward said:

    I'll put a 6 pack of Christmas ale up for anyone who wants to bet against the Browns 😉

    I'll happily take you up on this one. On paper, there's no way the Browns can beat the Bengals. And I don't like Christmas ale, thank you very much. I don't like any of that bizarre crap in my beer. FWIW, I've only lost one bet on line taking sucker bets. Ghoolie beat me once. If I had sent Guido to collect on all the money I was entitled to from RatBird fans who thought their team was actually going to win more than 7 games in 1996, I would have won over $1,000 bucks.

  • of course thr browns 'can' beat the bungles. Sucky teams like the browns have about a 30% chance to win games like this. The bungles, while 7-0, have played close games mostly so its not like they are a juggernaught. its not a shocking thing if they win. But this idea that they have a >50 percent chance to win(even when they do) is silly.

  • Any given Sunday any team supposedly can win. I have a hard time ,however, given our injury status and lack of talent to begin with, seeing how we are realistically going to beat the bengals.

  • @bbedward said:

    I'll put a 6 pack of Christmas ale up for anyone who wants to bet against the Browns 😉

    I'll happily take you up on this one. On paper, there's no way the Browns can beat the Bengals. And I don't like Christmas ale, thank you very much. I don't like any of that bizarre crap in my beer. FWIW, I've only lost one bet on line taking sucker bets. Ghoolie beat me once. If I had sent Guido to collect on all the money I was entitled to from RatBird fans who thought their team was actually going to win more than 7 games in 1996, I would have won over $1,000 bucks.

    @hoorta said:

    I'll happily take you up on this one. On paper, there's no way the Browns can beat the Bengals. And I don't like Christmas ale, thank you very much. I don't like any of that bizarre crap in my beer. FWIW, I've only lost one bet on line taking sucker bets. Ghoolie beat me once. If I had sent Guido to collect on all the money I was entitled to from RatBird fans who thought their team was actually going to win more than 7 games in 1996, I would have won over $1,000 bucks.

    6 pack of your choice then, I'm really confident going into Thursday despite the fact we suck, have big injuries, and are on the road 🙂

    Mostly because we always play the Bengals tough and it's primetime.