Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

    Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

    I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

    Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

    Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

    Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

    LSU better than Fla

    Fla better than Ole Miss

    Memphis better than Ole Miss

    Ole Miss better than Alabama

    LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

    And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

    Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @baconhound said:

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

  • @baconhound said:

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

    Didn't say that Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in the discussion but thankfully the human element is still in play because I'd hate to see an undefeated Houston jump a one loss Alabama.

  • Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

    Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

    Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #15

    @baconhound said:

    Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

    If the strength of schedule, which is based mostly on a team's performance in the season before, matters, how does a direct matchup of ranked teams in a playoff game from not even a calender year ago not? I mean think about that for a second.

    Also, Ohio State/Alabama was not the championship game.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Strength of Schedule is determined in the season you're playing.

    Oregon looked like a good win early on. It isn't anymore.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #17

    That may be partially true but if it were actually true we wouldn't have been whining about OSU'S strength of schedule well in advance of the actual season

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Right, but you can still tell the relative strength of a team any season. Example, the majority of the time, Purdue isn't going to be good. No, it isn't perfect, but it can give you a rough estimate.

  • That may be partially true but if it were actually true we wouldn't have been whining about OSU'S strength of schedule well in advance of the actual season

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    That may be partially true but if it were actually true we wouldn't have been whining about OSU'S strength of schedule well in advance of the actual season

    It's ok that Ohio State hasn't beat anyone this year. Florida State didn't beat anyone last year.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

  • Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @wargograw said:

    Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

    Have a sneaking suspicion a one loss Big 12 team won't get in, smh

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #22

    We'll see. I predicted one would. Still feel ok about it, but again we'll see. I don't think it will be OU if that's what you're getting at, due to them having such a bad loss. I think Baylor would have to win out and beat a TCU team that goes 10-2, an OSU team that goes 11-1, etc. AND have some other flies drop in other conferences.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    If Ohio State loses any of their remaining games, they're out (even after a 23 game winning streak as of now).

    There is just way too much Buckeye hate nationally, too much to overcome.

    'Bama looks great now, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they were given a pass for their loss, at home, to Ole Miss. Ole Miss isn't even ranked anymore.

    People talk about the SEC bias, and it is very real. What is more real is the anti-Buckeye bias.

  • If Ohio State loses any of their remaining games, they're out (even after a 23 game winning streak as of now).

    There is just way too much Buckeye hate nationally, too much to overcome.

    'Bama looks great now, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they were given a pass for their loss, at home, to Ole Miss. Ole Miss isn't even ranked anymore.

    People talk about the SEC bias, and it is very real. What is more real is the anti-Buckeye bias.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @bob806 said:

    If Ohio State loses any of their remaining games, they're out (even after a 23 game winning streak as of now).

    There is just way too much Buckeye hate nationally, too much to overcome.

    'Bama looks great now, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they were given a pass for their loss, at home, to Ole Miss. Ole Miss isn't even ranked anymore.

    People talk about the SEC bias, and it is very real. What is more real is the anti-Buckeye bias.

    lol

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

    Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

    I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

    Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

    Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

    Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

    LSU better than Fla

    Fla better than Ole Miss

    Memphis better than Ole Miss

    Ole Miss better than Alabama

    LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

    And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

    Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @baconhound said:

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    But neither have they lost to anyone of no consequence. Alabama lost to a now apparently so-so Ole Miss team. Their victory over LSU is now looking less and less impressive as LSU lost to Arkansas....who lost to Toledo.

    I do think that Alabama wins the SEC West....and faces off against Florida.....and that game will be much more competitive than people may think.

  • Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @wargograw said:

    Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

    I thought they were, yes. Clearly they are not. I think the SEC is very much overrated this year.

    Alabama may be the best in that conference, but like I said, Florida may have something to say about it.

    But, yes, OSU has rather been sleepwalking through the season. They need to wake up this week.

    Michigan St. can beat them. (as evidenced by the Big Ten title game 2 years ago)

    But I will take an ugly 10-0 Iowa over an ugly 9-1 team.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Will you take an ugly 10-0 Houston over 9-1 Alabama now? Because the committee would disagree.

    I predict it won't be a game against Florida. They don't pass much and LSU learned you can't run against Alabama.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #28

    UF is also down a starting QB

    (PEDs.... Ess eee see)

  • Will you take an ugly 10-0 Houston over 9-1 Alabama now? Because the committee would disagree.

    I predict it won't be a game against Florida. They don't pass much and LSU learned you can't run against Alabama.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @wargograw said:

    Will you take an ugly 10-0 Houston over 9-1 Alabama now? Because the committee would disagree.

    I predict it won't be a game against Florida. They don't pass much and LSU learned you can't run against Alabama.

    I don't know how 10-0 is ugly. Would anyone predict Houston to win that game? Unlikely. Though I would like to see it played.

    Alabama has had a weakness against good passing spread offenses.

    As for one loss teams......Alabama's one loss is worse than say Michigan State. MSU lost on a bad call.

    Florida lost to LSU.....which is still a "better loss" than losing to Ole Miss. That game will probably play out.

    Oklahoma/TCU/Baylor/OK St. should play out. (But what if they all end up with one loss? They all stay home?)

  • UF is also down a starting QB

    (PEDs.... Ess eee see)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @mld-woody said:

    UF is also down a starting QB

    (PEDs.... Ess eee see)

    OK, didn't know that.