Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • @the-gipper said:

    @wargograw said:

    We look forward to not doing that and still proving we're the best conference every year.

    They will not be rewarded by the Playoff Committee. Strength of schedule is a big factor in who makes it. Scheduling games against FCS schools will detract from Strength of schedule. When it comes to making a choice between 2 possible choices....the one that has an FCS game on its schedule will lose out. Continue to schedule cupcakes and that conference will be seen in a lesser light......assuming everyone else adopts the same plan. (though I am not sure that they have...perhaps only Big Ten and Pac 10)

    Yep. 3 of the top 5. Then after that, a whole lot of nothing. It's a convenient ending spot.

    Actually, no, it isn't....Big Ten has 6 of the Top 20 (OSU/Mich/Penn St/Nebraska/Iowa/Wisconsin). SEC may have more, but, again, that is in states that have no NFL.

    There are many reasons for the better fandom of the college game down south. No real point in listing them all.

    Actually, there is a reason to list them....as no one knows those reasons apparently but you.

    Yes, you have one dominant school....Alabama. And yes, they do lead in average attendance....somewhat.

    (NOrthwestern's poorer attendance kind of brings the Big Ten overall average down somewhat)

    Or, what....because you think they eat barbecue before a game that makes them better?

    Yeah, the committee's gonna leave an undefeated or one-loss SEC team out of the playoff. Sure bud...

    By the way, per this document, it's us that have 3 of the top 5 (and 6 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 17, and 13 of the top 29)...

    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf

    But hey, 6 of the top 20 is cool!! Y'all would totally be better if it weren't for tricky Northwestern. Like we don't have Vandy.

    I know the reasons why we have the best COLLEGE FOOTBALL fans. You listing the reasons doesn't make it any less true. So you have NFL teams. Great. Maybe yall's football lives are better because of it. Kudos to you guys if so. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we have the best college football fans.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    Yeah, the committee's gonna leave an undefeated or one-loss SEC team out of the playoff. Sure bud...

    Well, yes, they might. Let's say a one loss team from another conference has two wins over Non-conf. P5 opponents....and an SEC one loss team has no win over any other P5 opponent....but has wins over all those cupcakes. The committee would likely take the other team.

    By the way, per this document, it's us that have 3 of the top 5 (and 6 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 17, and 13 of the top 29)...

    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf

    This has varied from year to year. I think there have been some stadium enlargements in like Tenn. and Tex A&M that have put them over in the last year or two.

    But hey, 6 of the top 20 is cool!! Y'all would totally be better if it weren't for tricky Northwestern. Like we don't have Vandy.

    I didn't say you didn't have more....but your claim that the Big Ten had no more than 3 in the Top 20 was bogus.

    I know the reasons why we have the best COLLEGE FOOTBALL fans. You listing the reasons doesn't make it any less true.

    So? You know them but don't want to reveal them. What are you? Nixon, Trump....secret plans.

    So you have NFL teams. Great. Maybe yall's football lives are better because of it.

    It is....that is the point.

    Kudos to you guys if so. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we have the best college football fans.

    We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? There is no "we". There are all individual schools.

    If there were a "we" then the SEC would consist of one single school, one single team.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    The only signal they get on the TV in the double wide is showing Bama. Roll Tide!

  • @wargograw said:

    Yeah, the committee's gonna leave an undefeated or one-loss SEC team out of the playoff. Sure bud...

    Well, yes, they might. Let's say a one loss team from another conference has two wins over Non-conf. P5 opponents....and an SEC one loss team has no win over any other P5 opponent....but has wins over all those cupcakes. The committee would likely take the other team.

    By the way, per this document, it's us that have 3 of the top 5 (and 6 of the top 10, and 8 of the top 17, and 13 of the top 29)...

    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf

    This has varied from year to year. I think there have been some stadium enlargements in like Tenn. and Tex A&M that have put them over in the last year or two.

    But hey, 6 of the top 20 is cool!! Y'all would totally be better if it weren't for tricky Northwestern. Like we don't have Vandy.

    I didn't say you didn't have more....but your claim that the Big Ten had no more than 3 in the Top 20 was bogus.

    I know the reasons why we have the best COLLEGE FOOTBALL fans. You listing the reasons doesn't make it any less true.

    So? You know them but don't want to reveal them. What are you? Nixon, Trump....secret plans.

    So you have NFL teams. Great. Maybe yall's football lives are better because of it.

    It is....that is the point.

    Kudos to you guys if so. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we have the best college football fans.

    We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? There is no "we". There are all individual schools.

    If there were a "we" then the SEC would consist of one single school, one single team.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    @wargograw said:

    Well, yes, they might. Let's say a one loss team from another conference has two wins over Non-conf. P5 opponents....and an SEC one loss team has no win over any other P5 opponent....but has wins over all those cupcakes. The committee would likely take the other team.

    Yeah, I doubt that, but ok.

    This has varied from year to year. I think there have been some stadium enlargements in like Tenn. and Tex A&M that have put them over in the last year or two.

    Tennessee's been over 100K for 20 years.

    I didn't say you didn't have more....but your claim that the Big Ten had no more than 3 in the Top 20 was bogus.

    Since I didn't make that claim, congrats I guess?

    So? You know them but don't want to reveal them. What are you? Nixon, Trump....secret plans.

    You're already revealing them for me. Not having many NFL teams down here is one reason.

    It is....that is the point.

    Congrats. We still have the best college teams.

    We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? There is no "we". There are all individual schools.

    If there were a "we" then the SEC would consist of one single school, one single team.

    The south has better college teams than any other region. I live in the south. Hence, "we."

  • @the-gipper said:

    @wargograw said:

    Well, yes, they might. Let's say a one loss team from another conference has two wins over Non-conf. P5 opponents....and an SEC one loss team has no win over any other P5 opponent....but has wins over all those cupcakes. The committee would likely take the other team.

    Yeah, I doubt that, but ok.

    This has varied from year to year. I think there have been some stadium enlargements in like Tenn. and Tex A&M that have put them over in the last year or two.

    Tennessee's been over 100K for 20 years.

    I didn't say you didn't have more....but your claim that the Big Ten had no more than 3 in the Top 20 was bogus.

    Since I didn't make that claim, congrats I guess?

    So? You know them but don't want to reveal them. What are you? Nixon, Trump....secret plans.

    You're already revealing them for me. Not having many NFL teams down here is one reason.

    It is....that is the point.

    Congrats. We still have the best college teams.

    We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? There is no "we". There are all individual schools.

    If there were a "we" then the SEC would consist of one single school, one single team.

    The south has better college teams than any other region. I live in the south. Hence, "we."

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @wargograw said:

    The south has better college teams than any other region. I live in the south. Hence, "we."

    You live in Texas, that is not the south, that is considered the southwest or west. There is a difference. Just because you are in the Southeast Conference doesn't make you south.

    Here is how census demographics break down the country in terms of 5 regions:

    Northeast: Maine, NH, Vermont, RI, Mass, Conn. NY, Penn., New Jersey Delaware, Maryland, West Va.

    Midwest: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, North Dak, South Dak. Nebraska, Kansas

    Southeast: Virginia, NC, SC, Ga, Florida, KY, Tenn. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas

    Northwest: Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon

    Southwest: Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Whatever.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Next you're about to tell me how Florida is a southern state.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    North Florida is

  • Next you're about to tell me how Florida is a southern state.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Next you're about to tell me how Florida is a southern state.

    Look at a map.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

  • Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Wait, I just realized War is an Aggie claiming that the SEC has 'better fans'.

    Pipe down, will ya? You haven't even been in the conference a decade man.

  • @wargograw said:

    Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

    I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

    I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @wargograw said:

    I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

    Yes, we are all aware of the idiom: "In Florida, the more northern you go the more southern you get",meaning that South Florida is really more snowbird country, people transplanted from other parts of the country, northeast and midwest.

    I know this well, my sister was one of them....moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1969, moved back to Ohio in 2005.

    My niece who works for me is a native South Floridian...and fits the mold, though she now lives here.

    My nephew however who is originally from South Florida is now living in North Florida..Jacksonville, and he has picked up the mantra and now is full bore north Florida redneck.

    Beyond that, the fact is that Florida is actually dominated by the ACC with Miami/FSU. My nephew still maintains his south Florida rooting interests though: Dolphins/Hurricanes.

  • Wait, I just realized War is an Aggie claiming that the SEC has 'better fans'.

    Pipe down, will ya? You haven't even been in the conference a decade man.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Wait, I just realized War is an Aggie claiming that the SEC has 'better fans'.

    Pipe down, will ya? You haven't even been in the conference a decade man.

    Yeah that started as soon as they joined

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

  • I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

    Here is what I know about yourself: Austin used to be a great town, now it fairly well sucks because the traffic has become immaneuverable.

    (I may have to go through there later this year, hopefully it won't be so bad.

    (Nevertheless....Longhorn fans still rule, fair to say?)

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I don't disagree with any of that (assuming you're saying they rule Austin). I'm looking to get out of here ASAP.

  • I don't disagree with any of that (assuming you're saying they rule Austin). I'm looking to get out of here ASAP.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    I don't disagree with any of that (assuming you're saying they rule Austin). I'm looking to get out of here ASAP.

    Texas....from a fan point of view.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Roughly the same size stadium, enrollment, and alumni. They have history and media presence on their side. We're in a much more stable conference.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

    Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.