Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    North Florida is

  • Next you're about to tell me how Florida is a southern state.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Next you're about to tell me how Florida is a southern state.

    Look at a map.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

  • Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Wait, I just realized War is an Aggie claiming that the SEC has 'better fans'.

    Pipe down, will ya? You haven't even been in the conference a decade man.

  • @wargograw said:

    Culturally south Florida is in the northeast.

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

    I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

    I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @wargograw said:

    I was responding to Gipper's simplistic "get a map" analysis.

    Yes, we are all aware of the idiom: "In Florida, the more northern you go the more southern you get",meaning that South Florida is really more snowbird country, people transplanted from other parts of the country, northeast and midwest.

    I know this well, my sister was one of them....moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1969, moved back to Ohio in 2005.

    My niece who works for me is a native South Floridian...and fits the mold, though she now lives here.

    My nephew however who is originally from South Florida is now living in North Florida..Jacksonville, and he has picked up the mantra and now is full bore north Florida redneck.

    Beyond that, the fact is that Florida is actually dominated by the ACC with Miami/FSU. My nephew still maintains his south Florida rooting interests though: Dolphins/Hurricanes.

  • Wait, I just realized War is an Aggie claiming that the SEC has 'better fans'.

    Pipe down, will ya? You haven't even been in the conference a decade man.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Wait, I just realized War is an Aggie claiming that the SEC has 'better fans'.

    Pipe down, will ya? You haven't even been in the conference a decade man.

    Yeah that started as soon as they joined

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

  • I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    I've said they had the best fans for a good decade plus, but please continue to tell me about myself, friends.

    Here is what I know about yourself: Austin used to be a great town, now it fairly well sucks because the traffic has become immaneuverable.

    (I may have to go through there later this year, hopefully it won't be so bad.

    (Nevertheless....Longhorn fans still rule, fair to say?)

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I don't disagree with any of that (assuming you're saying they rule Austin). I'm looking to get out of here ASAP.

  • I don't disagree with any of that (assuming you're saying they rule Austin). I'm looking to get out of here ASAP.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    I don't disagree with any of that (assuming you're saying they rule Austin). I'm looking to get out of here ASAP.

    Texas....from a fan point of view.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Roughly the same size stadium, enrollment, and alumni. They have history and media presence on their side. We're in a much more stable conference.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

    Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.

  • Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

    Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

    Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.

    If you just look at the city proper. If you go by the entire Metro areas, Cleveland is still like 16th or so. Columbus is half that size.

  • Roughly the same size stadium, enrollment, and alumni. They have history and media presence on their side. We're in a much more stable conference.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @wargograw said:

    Roughly the same size stadium, enrollment, and alumni. They have history and media presence on their side. We're in a much more stable conference.

    If the Big 12 is unstable it is because Tex A&M made it that way by jumping ship.

    And despite that TAMU is still maybe the 5th best team in that state.

    (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas all may be better this year anyway)

  • @mjp28 said:

    Amazing too everyone knows in the top 10 US cities NYC, LA, CHI but not many realize cities like San Antonio, Austin and San Jose are there now.

    Cleveland was 5 at one time now 51, Columbus 15 and Cincinnati 66 are the biggest cities in Ohio.

    If you just look at the city proper. If you go by the entire Metro areas, Cleveland is still like 16th or so. Columbus is half that size.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    If you just look at the city proper. If you go by the entire Metro areas, Cleveland is still like 16th or so. Columbus is half that size.

    Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

    Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES 😉

    Oh on metro sprawl I was at DFW airport right after it opened on a company trip to Bryan/College Station and Hearne, TX. They built it out away from the big cities which just grew out to it.

    I did get to see the South grow in the late 1970s and early 1980s with two big corporations it was wild but I stayed based in Ohio.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If you just look at the city proper. If you go by the entire Metro areas, Cleveland is still like 16th or so. Columbus is half that size.

    Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

    Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES 😉

    Oh on metro sprawl I was at DFW airport right after it opened on a company trip to Bryan/College Station and Hearne, TX. They built it out away from the big cities which just grew out to it.

    I did get to see the South grow in the late 1970s and early 1980s with two big corporations it was wild but I stayed based in Ohio.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

    Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES 😉

    Well, I DO count the NHL.

    The largest city in the US without a team is actually Austin TX. While San Antonio is fairly nearby...about 75 miles I believe, between SA which is listed as the 7th largest city in the US and Austin which is ranked 11th, they have only the Spurs as a major league franchise in the big 4 sports. In fact, they don't have an MLS team either.

    I guess for football and baseball the league expect the people in that area to gravitate toward the Dallas or Houston teams.

    But the key to having a major league team in town is not what the population of the cities proper are, but what the metro area is....and to be more precise, where a community ranks in the Nielsen DMA (Designated market area)

    As of this year, separately SA and Austin rank 32d and 39th. Combined they rank about the same size as the Cleveland DMA.

    Columbus is ranked 31st, Cincinnati 36th.

    So, Austin and San Antonio combined are about the size of C-bus and Cincy combined. As noted, Cleveland is just slightly less than the two various markets combined.

    https://www.tvb.org/Portals/0/media/file/DMA/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

    Of all the DMAs on this list, Hartford is the largest city with no team in the 4 major sports.

  • @wargograw said:

    Roughly the same size stadium, enrollment, and alumni. They have history and media presence on their side. We're in a much more stable conference.

    If the Big 12 is unstable it is because Tex A&M made it that way by jumping ship.

    And despite that TAMU is still maybe the 5th best team in that state.

    (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas all may be better this year anyway)

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    If the Big 12 is unstable it is because Tex A&M made it that way by jumping ship.

    And despite that TAMU is still maybe the 5th best team in that state.

    (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas all may be better this year anyway)

    No, it was unstable before.

    We could also be the best team. Stop trolling.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If the Big 12 is unstable it is because Tex A&M made it that way by jumping ship.

    And despite that TAMU is still maybe the 5th best team in that state.

    (TCU, Houston, Baylor, Texas all may be better this year anyway)

    No, it was unstable before.

    We could also be the best team. Stop trolling.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    No, it was unstable before.

    How do you figure? Perhaps because Nebraska left....I may give you that.

    Did A&M leave before Colorado went to Pac 10?

    If both of those happened first, I will concede the point.

    We could also be the best team. Stop trolling.

    But I won't concede this point.

    Prove it by scheduling some of them.

    Houston, Texas and Baylor all currently ranked higher. TCU has had like 2 straight years of finishing Top 5.

    Has TAMU seen Top 5 since the days of John David Crow?

    Maybe one week after JFF beat Bama.