Skip to content

McCown To Start Vs. Steelers If Healthy

The Browns Board
86 25 3.0k
  • http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start

    Manziel is not ready and this article will breakdown why he's not. Start McCown when he's ready.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @htownbrown said:

    http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start

    Manziel is not ready and this article will breakdown why he's not. Start McCown when he's ready.

    Great article. Getting the all-22 view certainly makes it easier to recognize a QBs flaws.

    I'm not against moving forward with McCown, but it would be nice to see IF Manziel can learn to "pass first" and start reserving his athleticism for only times when he NEEDS it.

    Based on what I've seen in my lifetime of watching football, that rarely (maybe never) happens...

  • htownbrown posted an outstanding link on why Manziel should not be starting.. Pretty sure no one here has read it so please do so before posting anymore nonsense..

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    htownbrown posted an outstanding link on why Manziel should not be starting.. Pretty sure no one here has read it so please do so before posting anymore nonsense..

    Kind of long, but I read it.

  • Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?

    "Something" as in an NFL QB?
  • I think John has done very well at the back up spot. Hes 1-1 and making better decisions protecting football. He really gets no blame for cinncy

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #31

    As much as I want the support of the article, a couple play's analysis don't ring true. Therefore the writer must be a hater...

    Always wondered what it felt like to say that...

    @cdl15 said:

    I think John has done very well at the back up spot. Hes 1-1 and making better decisions protecting football. He really gets no blame for cinncy

    Really... he does... and I'm not saying he's a bad backup, but no way can he be deemed "reliable" at this point.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fine with me. It's really not the QB position that needs fixing. It's a defense that cannot stop the run, especially in the second half.

    Didn't JM play both ways in HS??? 😉

  • As much as I want the support of the article, a couple play's analysis don't ring true. Therefore the writer must be a hater...

    Always wondered what it felt like to say that...

    @cdl15 said:

    I think John has done very well at the back up spot. Hes 1-1 and making better decisions protecting football. He really gets no blame for cinncy

    Really... he does... and I'm not saying he's a bad backup, but no way can he be deemed "reliable" at this point.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fine with me. It's really not the QB position that needs fixing. It's a defense that cannot stop the run, especially in the second half.

    Didn't JM play both ways in HS??? 😉

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #32

    @tour2ma said:

    Didn't JM play both ways in HS??? 😉

    Funny thing is that JM always wanted to be a longhorn, but Mack Brown was only offering him as a safety. Chip Kelly thought he would fit his scheme as QB, as did an assistant of Sherman's @ A&M. The lack of a QB capable of winning a Heisman is what ended Mack's coaching career.

  • @htownbrown said:

    http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start

    Manziel is not ready and this article will breakdown why he's not. Start McCown when he's ready.

    Great article. Getting the all-22 view certainly makes it easier to recognize a QBs flaws.

    I'm not against moving forward with McCown, but it would be nice to see IF Manziel can learn to "pass first" and start reserving his athleticism for only times when he NEEDS it.

    Based on what I've seen in my lifetime of watching football, that rarely (maybe never) happens...

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @thenew23 said:

    Great article. Getting the all-22 view certainly makes it easier to recognize a QBs flaws.

    I'm not against moving forward with McCown, but it would be nice to see IF Manziel can learn to "pass first" and start reserving his athleticism for only times when he NEEDS it.

    Based on what I've seen in my lifetime of watching football, that rarely (maybe never) happens...

    It's a good article, but you can look through a critical lens and see mistakes in any QB in any game throughout the year. You don't get better at playing QB by riding the bench. I know Aaron Rodgers did that, but he's the exception to the rule. Everything in that article are things he could get better at but never will unless he plays in real game situations.

    I hope no one thinks I'm a Manziel homer, cause honestly I don't think he's got it either. But we have to know that for certain before this draft because my count there's at least 3 guys that have franchise signal caller type prospects, and if at Manziel we gotta know. What are you gonna do though, just being real it doesn't matter who we throw out there for wins and losses anyway.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #34

    That article doesn't seem to take into account JM's height in any situation?

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I get the feeling, which may be incorrect, that Mike Pettine just doesn't like Johnny, and doesn't particularly like Ray Farmer whom he feels foisted the quarterback upon him in the first place.

    The hostility has been evident since the draft. And I think that hostility will eventually cost the coach his job.

    WSS

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #36

    I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...

    Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....

    Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......

    Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......

  • I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...

    Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....

    Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......

    Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #37

    @mudfly said:

    I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...

    Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....

    Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......

    Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......

    No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.

    And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.

    And no matter who it is waiting until game day in an overt show of no confidence is not the optimal idea for success, especially with a rookie.

    WSS

  • @mudfly said:

    I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...

    Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....

    Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......

    Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......

    No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.

    And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.

    And no matter who it is waiting until game day in an overt show of no confidence is not the optimal idea for success, especially with a rookie.

    WSS

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @westside-steve said:

    No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.

    And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.

    Yes....1st rounders have sat on the bench.....some not even getting a snap, let alone a start....

    And Id say there's a (very) good chance those other guys are just better than Johnny.......and, I know for certain, none of them took their rookie seasons off ....(IE: They showed up, worked harder and played better)(fact)

    People keep wanting to compare him to Teddy, Carr and Bortles.....but there is no comparison in the way they have prepared, acted or played when given the chance.........

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?

    "Something" as in an NFL QB?
    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @jcam222 said:

    "Something" as in an NFL QB?

    So cut his ass then.

  • I get the feeling, which may be incorrect, that Mike Pettine just doesn't like Johnny, and doesn't particularly like Ray Farmer whom he feels foisted the quarterback upon him in the first place.

    The hostility has been evident since the draft. And I think that hostility will eventually cost the coach his job.

    WSS

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @westside-steve said:

    I get the feeling, which may be incorrect, that Mike Pettine just doesn't like Johnny, and doesn't particularly like Ray Farmer whom he feels foisted the quarterback upon him in the first place.

    The hostility has been evident since the draft. And I think that hostility will eventually cost the coach his job.

    WSS

    I think you're correct.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Can it be considered progress that y'all are not calling Pet a "hater", but instead merely a "not liker"?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #42

    At this point I think both Pettine and JM would be better off with a "restart", Pettine with Cleveland with whomever he can get on board @ QB and JM on another team. But the real problem that will have to take priority with the Browns is at WR on O and with the whole run game defense. Both of those are either the worst in the NFL or very nearly so. A new QB as a high draft choice will not solve those problems and may in fact perpetuate them. Quite a dilemma!

    Now this is under the assumption that many here are making that Pettine agrees with you that JM is unsalvageable.

  • @westside-steve said:

    No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.

    And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.

    Yes....1st rounders have sat on the bench.....some not even getting a snap, let alone a start....

    And Id say there's a (very) good chance those other guys are just better than Johnny.......and, I know for certain, none of them took their rookie seasons off ....(IE: They showed up, worked harder and played better)(fact)

    People keep wanting to compare him to Teddy, Carr and Bortles.....but there is no comparison in the way they have prepared, acted or played when given the chance.........

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #43

    @mudfly said:

    Yes....1st rounders have sat on the bench.....some not even getting a snap, let alone a start....

    And Id say there's a (very) good chance those other guys are just better than Johnny.......and, I know for certain, none of them took their rookie seasons off ....(IE: They showed up, worked harder and played better)(fact)

    People keep wanting to compare him to Teddy, Carr and Bortles.....but there is no comparison in the way they have prepared, acted or played when given the chance.........

    Well mostly people are going to mention Jimmy Garoppolo or Aaron Rodgers, the former not even a first round pick, but both sitting behind Allstars. Not bums.

    May I repeat right at the time of the draft Mike P kept repeating prepare to be a backup. Nobody said that about carr Bortles or Bilgewater. Or Gilbert. That was an obvious insult. Why? You tell me.

    And even when josh is walking dead the coach waits to last minute so as to not properly prepare the rookie for a start.

    Purposely setting him up for failure? You decide.

    Well maybe this really is a tough coach who demands his guys play like browns, but it doesn't seem that way looking at the performance of his defensive guys does it? And allowing the veterans to slack off?

    Maybe the offensive and defensive linemen d backs etcshould be staying home studying the PlayBook too?

    WSS

  • Can it be considered progress that y'all are not calling Pet a "hater", but instead merely a "not liker"?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #44

    @tour2ma said:

    Can it be considered progress that y'all are not calling Pet a "hater", but instead merely a "not liker"?

    you can add hostile....

    @texasag1969 said:

    Now this is under the assumption that many here are making that Pettine agrees with you that JM is unsalvageable.

    Lots of assumptions......I just assume Pettine just thinks McCown is the better QB right now......

    If "Unsalvageable"....Id expect Austin at the #2 position....

    @westside-steve said:

    Well mostly people are going to mention Jimmy Garoppolo or Aaron Rodgers, the former not even a first round pick, but both sitting behind Allstars. Not bums.

    May I repeat right at the time of the draft Mike P kept repeating prepare to be a backup. Nobody said that about carr Bortles or Bilgewater. Or Gilbert.

    I didnt really hear it the way you are saying...but really see no problem with saying/making them know they gotta earn it....plus, they did say it to Bortles...

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24556084/jaguars-gm-no-3-pick-blake-bortles-wont-be-jax-starting-qb-in-2014

    And even when josh is walking dead the coach waits to last minute so as to not properly prepare the rookie for a start.

    Purposely setting him up for failure?

    To me....this assumption is ridiculous....

    Well maybe this really is a tough coach who demands his guys play like browns, but it doesn't seem that way looking at the performance of his defensive guy does it?

    So "demanding" something is all it takes to get good play?.....who woulda thunk it.....

    And allowing the veterans to slack off?

    I have no idea what this even means.....But its not as if Johnny is the model for good work ethic...

    Maybe the offensive and defensive linemen should be staying home studying the PlayBook too?

    Maybe they are......I know they arent in the news every other week for being drunk and stupid....and almost every one of them(to a man) has performed his job better than you know who.....

    But I guess game performance means nothing.....just 1st round entitlement.....

    WSS

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #45

    McCown practicing today on a limited basis. I'd bet on him starting Sunday and beating the Steelers.

  • McCown practicing today on a limited basis. I'd bet on him starting Sunday and beating the Steelers.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @mark-o said:

    McCown practicing today on a limited basis. I'd bet on him starting Sunday and beating the Steelers.

    Agree

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    I don't want to start a new thread on this, but I was just passed this along:

    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2015/11/cleveland-browns-mike-pettine-ray-farmer/

    You can just tell, at least IMO, that Pettine just doesn't want Manziel and according to this report never did. He's got a ballsy strategy on how he manages players, and I'd respect the hell out of it if we were good. We aren't though in the slightest, and as each day goes on it's hard for me to not stare down Pettine.