Skip to content

Pettine, Not Farmer, To Blame?

The Browns Board
98 34 3.2k
  • I agree to get rid of him if true. But that's a big "IF." Defilipo could be promoted to head coach to build on the offense and bring in a new defensive mind. Still not sure how this would make Farmer look any better...

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward
    #3

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    I agree to get rid of him if true. But that's a big "IF." Defilipo could be promoted to head coach to build on the offense and bring in a new defensive mind. Still not sure how this would make Farmer look any better...

    DeFilippo going from a position coach to a head coach in 2 years seems awfully risky.

    It's likely the whole staff would be turned over except for Tabor as usual.

    Maybe Tabor should just be head coach 😛 he's seen a few do the job now.

  • I agree to get rid of him if true. But that's a big "IF." Defilipo could be promoted to head coach to build on the offense and bring in a new defensive mind. Still not sure how this would make Farmer look any better...

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    I agree to get rid of him if true. But that's a big "IF." Defilipo could be promoted to head coach to build on the offense and bring in a new defensive mind. Still not sure how this would make Farmer look any better...

    Well, the reasoning behind that is then Farmer becomes absolved of the Gilbert pick and, further, the under utilization of Bowe.

    While it doesn't absolve him of Manziel, it does at least put some of the blame of Pettine for not giving Manziel any real opportunity to grow.

  • @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    I agree to get rid of him if true. But that's a big "IF." Defilipo could be promoted to head coach to build on the offense and bring in a new defensive mind. Still not sure how this would make Farmer look any better...

    DeFilippo going from a position coach to a head coach in 2 years seems awfully risky.

    It's likely the whole staff would be turned over except for Tabor as usual.

    Maybe Tabor should just be head coach 😛 he's seen a few do the job now.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @bbedward said:

    DeFilippo going from a position coach to a head coach in 2 years seems awfully risky.

    It's likely the whole staff would be turned over except for Tabor as usual.

    It would be risky, but Flip is the only coach on this staff to be excited about.

    I'd rather take the risk of him failing at HC than to risk losing him and having to install yet another offense.

  • @bbedward said:

    DeFilippo going from a position coach to a head coach in 2 years seems awfully risky.

    It's likely the whole staff would be turned over except for Tabor as usual.

    It would be risky, but Flip is the only coach on this staff to be excited about.

    I'd rather take the risk of him failing at HC than to risk losing him and having to install yet another offense.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It would be risky, but Flip is the only coach on this staff to be excited about.

    I'd rather take the risk of him failing at HC than to risk losing him and having to install yet another offense.

    It sucks because this is a pretty reliable source, but I'm starting to think we're heading for another head coach.

    If we do get rid of pettine, I suspect Farmer stays and picks his own coach - Flip would likely be interviewed but I have a hard time seeing him being a top candidate, despite some the good stuff he's done.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Plenty of coaches to choose from, but it'd probably another 2-year reset because nobody we could get would be experienced enough to be able to maximize our talent in a one-year turnaround... Unless we got a veteran retread along the same lines as a Reed, Fox, Arians, DelRio, or Fisher OR got lucky with a guy like Bowles or Quinn...

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Unless the Browns happen to get 6 or 7 players to Honolulu at season's end, the strongest stench on this team is coming from Farmer

  • J J GLASGO wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Pettine could be gone tomorrow,and the team would probably improve. This guy is a moron.Refuses to let his play players play to their strengths.Insists on them playing to his scheme. Defensive minded,yet our defense sucks,and isconfused on the field.This guy is a tool! Good riddance!!

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

  • R ramblin wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny........Johnny. I honestly can't wait to be done hearing about Manziel. He has yet to be anything but mediocre at best at any aspect of his job, yet all we hear is Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny.......Johnny. I would be very surprised if any credible, reputable coach is going to be willing to stake his employment on Manziel, so we will be looking at another 8th, 9th choice, maybe not even on the wish list coach.

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Tony Dungy in the wings...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I would replace Farmer now, with Bernie Kosar yesterday.

    And Pettine - if he won't replace Oneil with a guy with an

    INTELLIGENT defense perspective....

    Haslam has to get it right one of these days.

    I think Flip stays.

  • Unless the Browns happen to get 6 or 7 players to Honolulu at season's end, the strongest stench on this team is coming from Farmer

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @canton-dawg said:

    Unless the Browns happen to get 6 or 7 players to Honolulu at season's end, the strongest stench on this team is coming from Farmer

    If we fail to get the same amount of players to the Pro Bowl that we got two years ago, even if those players are still on our team, wouldn't that be indicative of poor coaching?

  • The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @tiamat63 said:

    The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

    If only it were true.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

    If only it were true.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tiamat63 said:

    If only it were true.

    They have a much higher rate of success with things like this than other "sources". If I chose to believe something, it would be this.

    It's better than the alternative - every single person on our staff is a bumbling pile of shit.

  • Tony Dungy in the wings...

    cvcanedyC cvcanedy wrote on last edited by cvcanedy
    #18

    @kvoethe said:

    Tony Dungy in the wings...

    I don't think he coaches again

  • Tony Dungy in the wings...

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @kvoethe said:

    Tony Dungy in the wings...

    Great...and in 2 years he will be sent packing as well when we all discover that a guy who already has his super bowl ring and now a cushy TV job where he only works 1 day a week doesn't want to work as hard as he did when he was still chasing the ring. See Holmgren, Mike for a Browns example.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #20

    god dammit. god fucking dammit. Why do we always do this every 1-2 years? Why? This guys AWESOME, he's exactly what this franchise needs....ah fuck this guy he's a bum i can't beleive we ever hired him. THis is just too depressing. I just don't know how none of you get it, we're not going to get a superstar coach here who's gonna get us into the playoffs 1 year into his tenure. It's not happening. THe best we can hope for is a situation like Cincinnatti where a coach is allowed to grow with the franchise. We do this again you can forget it. No one wants to come to this yearly dumpster fire. The new coach next year will be dealing with players from like 3 different regimes, this is bullshit. It's isn't doable. You cannot evaluate a coach until nearly the whole team are "his guys".

    I honestly don't know how any of you are so peaked at the prospect of yet anotehr coaching change. I can't take it anymore. I can't take another coaching staff coming in with new O and D philosophies and trying to shoe horn in our current players into those new schemes. I can't take it. Some of you are mentally deranged cause no sane sports fan can tolerate this every 1-2 years from his home team. This is literally insane.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    eh... isn't putting Kruger back in coverage a shoehorn jobbie?

  • god dammit. god fucking dammit. Why do we always do this every 1-2 years? Why? This guys AWESOME, he's exactly what this franchise needs....ah fuck this guy he's a bum i can't beleive we ever hired him. THis is just too depressing. I just don't know how none of you get it, we're not going to get a superstar coach here who's gonna get us into the playoffs 1 year into his tenure. It's not happening. THe best we can hope for is a situation like Cincinnatti where a coach is allowed to grow with the franchise. We do this again you can forget it. No one wants to come to this yearly dumpster fire. The new coach next year will be dealing with players from like 3 different regimes, this is bullshit. It's isn't doable. You cannot evaluate a coach until nearly the whole team are "his guys".

    I honestly don't know how any of you are so peaked at the prospect of yet anotehr coaching change. I can't take it anymore. I can't take another coaching staff coming in with new O and D philosophies and trying to shoe horn in our current players into those new schemes. I can't take it. Some of you are mentally deranged cause no sane sports fan can tolerate this every 1-2 years from his home team. This is literally insane.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @clevfan4life said:

    god dammit. god fucking dammit. Why do we always do this every 1-2 years? Why? This guys AWESOME, he's exactly what this franchise needs....ah fuck this guy he's a bum i can't beleive we ever hired him. THis is just too depressing. I just don't know how none of you get it, we're not going to get a superstar coach here who's gonna get us into the playoffs 1 year into his tenure. It's not happening. THe best we can hope for is a situation like Cincinnatti where a coach is allowed to grow with the franchise. We do this again you can forget it. No one wants to come to this yearly dumpster fire. The new coach next year will be dealing with players from like 3 different regimes, this is bullshit. It's isn't doable. You cannot evaluate a coach until nearly the whole team are "his guys".

    I honestly don't know how any of you are so peaked at the prospect of yet anotehr coaching change. I can't take it anymore. I can't take another coaching staff coming in with new O and D philosophies and trying to shoe horn in our current players into those new schemes. I can't take it. Some of you are mentally deranged cause no sane sports fan can tolerate this every 1-2 years from his home team. This is literally insane.

    See ya.