Skip to content

Pettine, Not Farmer, To Blame?

The Browns Board
98 34 3.2k
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Unless the Browns happen to get 6 or 7 players to Honolulu at season's end, the strongest stench on this team is coming from Farmer

  • J J GLASGO wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Pettine could be gone tomorrow,and the team would probably improve. This guy is a moron.Refuses to let his play players play to their strengths.Insists on them playing to his scheme. Defensive minded,yet our defense sucks,and isconfused on the field.This guy is a tool! Good riddance!!

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

  • R ramblin wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny........Johnny. I honestly can't wait to be done hearing about Manziel. He has yet to be anything but mediocre at best at any aspect of his job, yet all we hear is Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny.......Johnny. I would be very surprised if any credible, reputable coach is going to be willing to stake his employment on Manziel, so we will be looking at another 8th, 9th choice, maybe not even on the wish list coach.

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Tony Dungy in the wings...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I would replace Farmer now, with Bernie Kosar yesterday.

    And Pettine - if he won't replace Oneil with a guy with an

    INTELLIGENT defense perspective....

    Haslam has to get it right one of these days.

    I think Flip stays.

  • Unless the Browns happen to get 6 or 7 players to Honolulu at season's end, the strongest stench on this team is coming from Farmer

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @canton-dawg said:

    Unless the Browns happen to get 6 or 7 players to Honolulu at season's end, the strongest stench on this team is coming from Farmer

    If we fail to get the same amount of players to the Pro Bowl that we got two years ago, even if those players are still on our team, wouldn't that be indicative of poor coaching?

  • The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @tiamat63 said:

    The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The argument about Johnny is moot. He didn't beat out McCown in the off season and hasn't yet shown to be the most consistent QB on roster.

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

    If only it were true.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I agree. But it would be nice if he got more than scout team reps which, according to this article, is all he is and has been getting.

    If only it were true.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tiamat63 said:

    If only it were true.

    They have a much higher rate of success with things like this than other "sources". If I chose to believe something, it would be this.

    It's better than the alternative - every single person on our staff is a bumbling pile of shit.

  • Tony Dungy in the wings...

    cvcanedyC cvcanedy wrote on last edited by cvcanedy
    #18

    @kvoethe said:

    Tony Dungy in the wings...

    I don't think he coaches again

  • Tony Dungy in the wings...

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @kvoethe said:

    Tony Dungy in the wings...

    Great...and in 2 years he will be sent packing as well when we all discover that a guy who already has his super bowl ring and now a cushy TV job where he only works 1 day a week doesn't want to work as hard as he did when he was still chasing the ring. See Holmgren, Mike for a Browns example.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #20

    god dammit. god fucking dammit. Why do we always do this every 1-2 years? Why? This guys AWESOME, he's exactly what this franchise needs....ah fuck this guy he's a bum i can't beleive we ever hired him. THis is just too depressing. I just don't know how none of you get it, we're not going to get a superstar coach here who's gonna get us into the playoffs 1 year into his tenure. It's not happening. THe best we can hope for is a situation like Cincinnatti where a coach is allowed to grow with the franchise. We do this again you can forget it. No one wants to come to this yearly dumpster fire. The new coach next year will be dealing with players from like 3 different regimes, this is bullshit. It's isn't doable. You cannot evaluate a coach until nearly the whole team are "his guys".

    I honestly don't know how any of you are so peaked at the prospect of yet anotehr coaching change. I can't take it anymore. I can't take another coaching staff coming in with new O and D philosophies and trying to shoe horn in our current players into those new schemes. I can't take it. Some of you are mentally deranged cause no sane sports fan can tolerate this every 1-2 years from his home team. This is literally insane.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    eh... isn't putting Kruger back in coverage a shoehorn jobbie?

  • god dammit. god fucking dammit. Why do we always do this every 1-2 years? Why? This guys AWESOME, he's exactly what this franchise needs....ah fuck this guy he's a bum i can't beleive we ever hired him. THis is just too depressing. I just don't know how none of you get it, we're not going to get a superstar coach here who's gonna get us into the playoffs 1 year into his tenure. It's not happening. THe best we can hope for is a situation like Cincinnatti where a coach is allowed to grow with the franchise. We do this again you can forget it. No one wants to come to this yearly dumpster fire. The new coach next year will be dealing with players from like 3 different regimes, this is bullshit. It's isn't doable. You cannot evaluate a coach until nearly the whole team are "his guys".

    I honestly don't know how any of you are so peaked at the prospect of yet anotehr coaching change. I can't take it anymore. I can't take another coaching staff coming in with new O and D philosophies and trying to shoe horn in our current players into those new schemes. I can't take it. Some of you are mentally deranged cause no sane sports fan can tolerate this every 1-2 years from his home team. This is literally insane.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @clevfan4life said:

    god dammit. god fucking dammit. Why do we always do this every 1-2 years? Why? This guys AWESOME, he's exactly what this franchise needs....ah fuck this guy he's a bum i can't beleive we ever hired him. THis is just too depressing. I just don't know how none of you get it, we're not going to get a superstar coach here who's gonna get us into the playoffs 1 year into his tenure. It's not happening. THe best we can hope for is a situation like Cincinnatti where a coach is allowed to grow with the franchise. We do this again you can forget it. No one wants to come to this yearly dumpster fire. The new coach next year will be dealing with players from like 3 different regimes, this is bullshit. It's isn't doable. You cannot evaluate a coach until nearly the whole team are "his guys".

    I honestly don't know how any of you are so peaked at the prospect of yet anotehr coaching change. I can't take it anymore. I can't take another coaching staff coming in with new O and D philosophies and trying to shoe horn in our current players into those new schemes. I can't take it. Some of you are mentally deranged cause no sane sports fan can tolerate this every 1-2 years from his home team. This is literally insane.

    See ya.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #23

    It's disappointing we may turn over another coach

    But I'm a Cleveland fan and always will be.

  • cvcanedyC cvcanedy wrote on last edited by
    #24

    What's the longest tenure since 99 for us?

  • What's the longest tenure since 99 for us?

    B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @cvcanedy said:

    What's the longest tenure since 99 for us?

    Didn't Romeo have 3-4 years? That's my guess but I'm too lazy to look it up..

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by Osiris
    #26

    After reading the article With all-22 analysis about Johnny not throwing to open recievers that he actually read from the pocket I have to back Pettine on his aversion to JM. And I put the blame for JM on Farmer and/or Jimmy. Gilbert's problems are on Gilbert and on Farmer for drafting him for either not flagging his maturity issues or drafting him despite it. Sure, Pettine might have wanted him but it is the FO's job to thoroughly scout him and push back if they need to. The lack of WR is on Farmer 100%, as is the West waste.

    If the team does get rid of Farmer, there is already a guy in the front office with more GM and player personelle experience than farmer who could make a good GM. Bill Kuharich.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Kuharich

    If they get rid of Pettine, who is going to come coach here? Promoting Flip to HC is nuts and is a sure fire way to regress the offense. O'Neil I think we agree has to go.

    Haslam is in a tricky position. Pettine is his guy, and anyone who thinks Banner was the driving force behind that hire wasn't paying attention. Multiple times, both right after the hire and prior to this season, Haslam said he was committed to his staff. How can he say that unless he decided that no matter what, he was sticking with his guy? But now the fans want to see some accountability.

    I think Pettine saves his job, Haslam pressures Pettine to fire or demote O'Neil (I think that demotion comes at the bye week) back to his role from last year, and Farmer gets fired at the bye week or the end of the season with Kuharich stepping in at GM. It's all speculation of course but I'd feel a lot better about this team if that happened.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #27

    Maybe, just maybe, the real "inside" source is one particular guy who likes committee decisions so he never has to take any responsibility. Scared rabbits are really good at camouflage.

    Otherwise this whole story has to be just BS, not that that has ever happened before. I can't believe any head coach would not use the best players he has, unless of course that guy was selected by some homeless guy or something.