Skip to content

Jim O'Neil

The Browns Board
46 19 1.7k
  • Right...Jim was terrible today.....missing tackles, not covering his receivers, getting pushed all over the place at the line......it was ugly...

    Flip was just as bad....didnt score, gave up sacks, couldnt block a lick.....just turrble.....

    I get the lynch mob is ready and Im not getting in the way....go ahead and fire em all......but dont get all yakked up when a lot of these same guys still suck with the new coach....

    @mudfly said:

    Right...Jim was terrible today.....missing tackles, not covering his receivers, getting pushed all over the place at the line......it was ugly...

    Flip was just as bad....didnt score, gave up sacks, couldnt block a lick.....just turrble.....

    I get the lynch mob is ready and Im not getting in the way....go ahead and fire em all......but dont get all yakked up when a lot of these same guys still suck with the new coach....

    Maybe coming to the crossroads that the challenge here was much bigger than a Rookie Head Coach with Rookie Coordinators.

  • Jim called a good game. It's a shame our players couldn't communicate and execute properly.

  • Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

    He's certainly not blameless either.

  • Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

    He's certainly not blameless either.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

    He's certainly not blameless either.

    While I agree but I think having three different starting qbs doesn't help either.

  • Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

    He's certainly not blameless either.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

    He's certainly not blameless either.

    he had hartline and a practice squad WR while bowe and pryor were inactive. Also had crowell whos averaging like 2 YPC running it, dipshit erving blocking, and a QB we picked up a few weeks ago Starting.

    What do you expect out of him? I like Pettine and Farmer's "whoever practices the hardest and does what we say will play" method. Maybe it works in high school, but we paid Bowe 9 million to sit on the sidelines while we let Marlon Moore and Darius Jennings run wild?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

    He's certainly not blameless either.

    he had hartline and a practice squad WR while bowe and pryor were inactive. Also had crowell whos averaging like 2 YPC running it, dipshit erving blocking, and a QB we picked up a few weeks ago Starting.

    What do you expect out of him? I like Pettine and Farmer's "whoever practices the hardest and does what we say will play" method. Maybe it works in high school, but we paid Bowe 9 million to sit on the sidelines while we let Marlon Moore and Darius Jennings run wild?

    @stillmotion said:

    he had hartline and a practice squad WR while bowe and pryor were inactive. Also had crowell whos averaging like 2 YPC running it, dipshit erving blocking, and a QB we picked up a few weeks ago Starting.

    What do you expect out of him? I like Pettine and Farmer's "whoever practices the hardest and does what we say will play" method. Maybe it works in high school, but we paid Bowe 9 million to sit on the sidelines while we let Marlon Moore and Darius Jennings run wild?

    That's all well & good, but at the end of the day the Browns are ranked 30th in total defense and 26th in total offense.

    I don't care how you polish that turd, it's still a turd.

  • @stillmotion said:

    The Cleveland defense has not held an opponent under 30 points since Week 7.

    In four games since Week 7, Cleveland has allowed 32.0 points and 414.3 total yards per game while going 0-4. The Browns have also recorded just four sacks in that span and haven’t been close to the fantasy radar all season. Week 13 will be no different, when the Browns host the Cincinnati Bengals, who are fourth among NFL offenses in scoring at 27.0 points per game.
    VIA ROTOWORLD
    Coordinator Jim O'Neil says there is no major scheme issue with the Cleveland Browns' defense

    CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns rank at or near the bottom of the NFL in points, passing yards, rushing yards and total yards allowed, and the coaching staff used the bye-week break to evaluate the performance of the defense.

    However, according to defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil, the coaches discovered that "there wasn't one major schematic thing that jumped out" in the evaluation of the film.

    "I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times"

    That's the real question.....

    Dude makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells.

    Thanks for the article. IMO, nobody makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells but I can see a resemblance to Captain Kangaroo. Ryan was going to cut his hair the first time his prevent defense prevented losing to explain the only slight difference.

    My guess is Jim O'Neil is only a symptom of Mike Pettine wanting HIS defense, which means it's Rex Ryan's defense plus retired high school football coach Mike Pettine Sr's wrinkles and gray hairs. Bringing in an experienced DC takes Mike Pettine Jr out of the comfort zone of the only defense he has been affiliated with the length of his career minus guys like Revis, Cromartie, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and T. Suggs. So where are we now? Gagging on the outcomes summarized by countless defensive stats/categories mentioned in the article. Nobody has improved from 2014 to 2015 as we count 2 wins in our last 16 games.

    Not to worry though - our running game has cozied up to ranking 31st overall while our pass protection stopped allowing our 36 year old to survive starts in that wonderful POCKET no QB should ever dare to leave ever again. Thanks for the advice Marvin Lewis - our Head Coach agreed with you. We might have to pull Canton Mike out of the stands to play QB today when Austin gets killed while they need 1 more golden opportunity to remind Cleveland fans Manziel still needs to be punished. How grown up of our braintrust to DRAFT kids they can't wait to punish in lieu of scouting character and inner chest to draft people that can make this team better. THIS brain trust took 2 first round picks in 2014 and flushed them down the toilet; and now they're hoping their survival here can be the distraction one of them has continued to cause them. LOVE that! Yep, it's all the guy's fault that should have never been here in the first place.

    Cam Erving looked more like Raggedy Ann than a first round talent. While I think Danny Shelton has potential, he's going to need a staff that can bring his pad height down to a competitive level. Right now, they're sprinting him on and off the field every other play so before he surrenders his legs/base again to coming out of stance to high - he's gassed from the 40 yard sprint from the sideline to defending in the red zone. Meder looks like he came from good coaching prior so they haven't totally de-programmed his promise just yet. Stay tuned though...

    I didn't think I'd ever see a more nauseating defense here than Bob Slowik's until this one. I keep hearing/reading we need continuity while I'm watching a staff that has lost this team. Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge are going to be FAs next year. When one of them says he'll stay if we have the RIGHT staff, think of why he felt compelled to say such a thing. If we had the right staff he would have never said it.

    Speaking of this continuity for keeping coaches - did anyone notice Baltimore beating us on Special teams exactly like they did last year? They blocked a FG late in the game again right? Gee, why would history matter here? Would that late FG attempt have mattered if we didn't already surrender a punt return for a TD earlier in the game? Watch the replay of that discipline that unfolded - the only thing missing was Larry the Cable Guy narrating it. I've never seen our return game flagged more than the last 3 years (since he was the 1 coach we kept from Chud's staff for the sake of continuity). We're real good at blocking in the back since we're rarely in position to make anything but ill-advised blocks. Consequently, we start way too many drives pinned deeper because of a penalty.

    When I think of the Ryan Brothers and Mike Pettine - I think of guys that need their daddy and a defense disappointing fans in Buffalo and Cleveland. Continuity? Why ask for more when we can rank last in so many categories? F--- that, we deserve way better than this skipping record. This is worse than 1999 folks so investigate this continuity a little deeper than contentment with being the laughing stock of the league. This is the most loyal fan base on the planet; BUT that doesn't make anyone a bad fan or less loyal for wanting more competitive football in return for all their time and devotion invested. I'd like to be a little further along than 1999 some 16 years later - why shouldn't I?

    @flugel said:

    When I think of the Ryan Brothers and Mike Pettine - I think of guys that need their daddy and a defense disappointing fans in Buffalo and Cleveland. Continuity? Why ask for more when we can rank last in so many categories? F--- that, we deserve way better than this skipping record. This is worse than 1999 folks so investigate this continuity a little deeper than contentment with being the laughing stock of the league. This is the most loyal fan base on the planet; BUT that doesn't make anyone a bad fan or less loyal for wanting more competitive football in return for all their time and devotion invested. I'd like to be a little further along than 1999 some 16 years later - why shouldn't I?

    We have more talent than 1999, and are playing even worse, if that's possible.

    @mudfly said:

    Right...Jim was terrible today.....missing tackles, not covering his receivers, getting pushed all over the place at the line......it was ugly...

    Flip was just as bad....didnt score, gave up sacks, couldnt block a lick.....just turrble.....

    I get the lynch mob is ready and Im not getting in the way....go ahead and fire em all......but dont get all yakked up when a lot of these same guys still suck with the new coach....

    So are you saying fire Farmer? Pettine is even more clueless than old Pat Shur-loss when it comes to clock management.

    I'm getting pretty close to the Nuke it all strategy.

  • I don't want Farmer selecting our first overall draft pick.

    We would be better off with a visually impaired orangutan, blindfolded, in a dark room, throwing darts over his shoulder at a spinning dartboard.

  • I don't want Farmer selecting our first overall draft pick.

    We would be better off with a visually impaired orangutan, blindfolded, in a dark room, throwing darts over his shoulder at a spinning dartboard.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I don't want Farmer selecting our first overall draft pick.

    We would be better off with a visually impaired orangutan, blindfolded, in a dark room, throwing darts over his shoulder at a spinning dartboard.

    The blindfolding sounds a bit like overkill.

    Z

  • You say visually impaired orangutan, I say current Browns chief of staff Kuharich.

    Kuharich 2016!

  • @stillmotion said:

    The Cleveland defense has not held an opponent under 30 points since Week 7.

    In four games since Week 7, Cleveland has allowed 32.0 points and 414.3 total yards per game while going 0-4. The Browns have also recorded just four sacks in that span and haven’t been close to the fantasy radar all season. Week 13 will be no different, when the Browns host the Cincinnati Bengals, who are fourth among NFL offenses in scoring at 27.0 points per game.
    VIA ROTOWORLD
    Coordinator Jim O'Neil says there is no major scheme issue with the Cleveland Browns' defense

    CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns rank at or near the bottom of the NFL in points, passing yards, rushing yards and total yards allowed, and the coaching staff used the bye-week break to evaluate the performance of the defense.

    However, according to defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil, the coaches discovered that "there wasn't one major schematic thing that jumped out" in the evaluation of the film.

    "I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times"

    That's the real question.....

    Dude makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells.

    Thanks for the article. IMO, nobody makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells but I can see a resemblance to Captain Kangaroo. Ryan was going to cut his hair the first time his prevent defense prevented losing to explain the only slight difference.

    My guess is Jim O'Neil is only a symptom of Mike Pettine wanting HIS defense, which means it's Rex Ryan's defense plus retired high school football coach Mike Pettine Sr's wrinkles and gray hairs. Bringing in an experienced DC takes Mike Pettine Jr out of the comfort zone of the only defense he has been affiliated with the length of his career minus guys like Revis, Cromartie, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and T. Suggs. So where are we now? Gagging on the outcomes summarized by countless defensive stats/categories mentioned in the article. Nobody has improved from 2014 to 2015 as we count 2 wins in our last 16 games.

    Not to worry though - our running game has cozied up to ranking 31st overall while our pass protection stopped allowing our 36 year old to survive starts in that wonderful POCKET no QB should ever dare to leave ever again. Thanks for the advice Marvin Lewis - our Head Coach agreed with you. We might have to pull Canton Mike out of the stands to play QB today when Austin gets killed while they need 1 more golden opportunity to remind Cleveland fans Manziel still needs to be punished. How grown up of our braintrust to DRAFT kids they can't wait to punish in lieu of scouting character and inner chest to draft people that can make this team better. THIS brain trust took 2 first round picks in 2014 and flushed them down the toilet; and now they're hoping their survival here can be the distraction one of them has continued to cause them. LOVE that! Yep, it's all the guy's fault that should have never been here in the first place.

    Cam Erving looked more like Raggedy Ann than a first round talent. While I think Danny Shelton has potential, he's going to need a staff that can bring his pad height down to a competitive level. Right now, they're sprinting him on and off the field every other play so before he surrenders his legs/base again to coming out of stance to high - he's gassed from the 40 yard sprint from the sideline to defending in the red zone. Meder looks like he came from good coaching prior so they haven't totally de-programmed his promise just yet. Stay tuned though...

    I didn't think I'd ever see a more nauseating defense here than Bob Slowik's until this one. I keep hearing/reading we need continuity while I'm watching a staff that has lost this team. Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge are going to be FAs next year. When one of them says he'll stay if we have the RIGHT staff, think of why he felt compelled to say such a thing. If we had the right staff he would have never said it.

    Speaking of this continuity for keeping coaches - did anyone notice Baltimore beating us on Special teams exactly like they did last year? They blocked a FG late in the game again right? Gee, why would history matter here? Would that late FG attempt have mattered if we didn't already surrender a punt return for a TD earlier in the game? Watch the replay of that discipline that unfolded - the only thing missing was Larry the Cable Guy narrating it. I've never seen our return game flagged more than the last 3 years (since he was the 1 coach we kept from Chud's staff for the sake of continuity). We're real good at blocking in the back since we're rarely in position to make anything but ill-advised blocks. Consequently, we start way too many drives pinned deeper because of a penalty.

    When I think of the Ryan Brothers and Mike Pettine - I think of guys that need their daddy and a defense disappointing fans in Buffalo and Cleveland. Continuity? Why ask for more when we can rank last in so many categories? F--- that, we deserve way better than this skipping record. This is worse than 1999 folks so investigate this continuity a little deeper than contentment with being the laughing stock of the league. This is the most loyal fan base on the planet; BUT that doesn't make anyone a bad fan or less loyal for wanting more competitive football in return for all their time and devotion invested. I'd like to be a little further along than 1999 some 16 years later - why shouldn't I?

    @flugel said:

    I didn't think I'd ever see a more nauseating defense here than Bob Slowik's until this one. I keep hearing/reading we need continuity while I'm watching a staff that has lost this team. Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge are going to be FAs next year. When one of them says he'll stay if we have the RIGHT staff, think of why he felt compelled to say such a thing. If we had the right staff he would have never said it.

    Good stuff, Flugs... don't agree with every line of it, but can appreciate it. The bit I selected I think may well be the determining factor for the staff, either individually or as a whole.

    Farmer will be (probably is already) talking to key FAs... Gilbert on D and Schwartz on O for sure, IMO. If he is getting any reluctance from agents about clients lack of faith in the staff, then their fate is sealed.

    @mudfly said:

    I do know none of this was an issue last season and we are running the same defense.....so for NO ONE to have issues with Oneill or the system last year, and then suddenly everyone does???.....doesnt make sense to me....

    None the less, I think there are 2 things at play here......1) the system seems complex and the players seem to not get it.......2) and many of the players just aren't playing well......and you only have to watch them to see that.....

    So....while I think it's really on the players, I also think the coaches should see this and, basically, dumb down the defense. You hate to say that, because you would hope you had good enough players......but if its too complicated or the players cant do it...then you have to adjust and make it easy for them......

    Did I dumb that down enough?

    Not quite.. πŸ˜‰

    Lions players had been praising the slimming of their defensive game plan. Basically the staff chucked all the calls that did not work. "Freed" the players to make plays out of alignments in which they were comfortable. Worked great for about two weeks. I wonder... if we threw out everything that has not worked, would anything be left?

    It is possible that intelligence, or lack of it, is the barrier. Also possible that the teaching is poor. And of course any combination could be deadly. But after two years you'd think "the system" should be engrained enough to allow players to play.

    And there were complaints last year... almost entirely around stopping the run. Ah... the good ole days...

    @flugel said:

    This is where I'm coming from. To quote those that always say this - what kind of scheme is good if it can't adapt to the personnel at hand?

    Love the adaptation theme... I'd add the questions:

    - what has Pet added to the system he learned from/ ran for Rex?

    - what has Jim added to the system he learned from/ runs for Pet?

  • Listening to O'Neil's press conference the other day was almost enough to make me pick up a car and throw it a group of nuns. If you listen to him, we're the best team in the league with no problems. He was an arrogant ASS.

  • Been done with O'Neil since week 2, I thought for sure we'd can him before the bye week.

    Not that it'd make much difference with an interim DC, but would have been worth a try.

  • Listening to O'Neil's press conference the other day was almost enough to make me pick up a car and throw it a group of nuns. If you listen to him, we're the best team in the league with no problems. He was an arrogant ASS. Jig

    ******************************************************

    The players deserver a hell of a lot better than this HC, defensive coaching staff...

    and a lack of even one elite wr and power rb. Haslam is losing ground the more he hasn't fired the coaches yet.

    The offense lacks skill players - I'm still not ready to throw out Flip and co. out the window.

    But Oneil should have been fired after the game yesterday. He sucks, he's an arrogant ass, and need to go.

    I do wonder what the hell is up with the screwed up waste of time in crucial half or game ending situations.

    What the hell?

    Surely, that isn't Flip making that happen.

  • Offense gets a pass because it has no talent.....But the Defense doesnt, even though it has no talent either....

    Honestly...got no issue with firing Oneill AND Flip.....but I also know that the new coaches will not do much better with the same roster.....we might go from 2-14 to 4-12, but well still suck until we get some players and some difference makers...

    There isnt one.....NOT ONE....star player or difference maker on our defense or offense........not one......yet its all on the coaches????

    And before you call one year wonders Barnidge and Benji stars......they're not.....so the same applies here....

    Brilliant assessment.....can em all.....then recycle.....then lose some more.......

  • @flugel said:

    When I think of the Ryan Brothers and Mike Pettine - I think of guys that need their daddy and a defense disappointing fans in Buffalo and Cleveland. Continuity? Why ask for more when we can rank last in so many categories? F--- that, we deserve way better than this skipping record. This is worse than 1999 folks so investigate this continuity a little deeper than contentment with being the laughing stock of the league. This is the most loyal fan base on the planet; BUT that doesn't make anyone a bad fan or less loyal for wanting more competitive football in return for all their time and devotion invested. I'd like to be a little further along than 1999 some 16 years later - why shouldn't I?

    We have more talent than 1999, and are playing even worse, if that's possible.

    @mudfly said:

    Right...Jim was terrible today.....missing tackles, not covering his receivers, getting pushed all over the place at the line......it was ugly...

    Flip was just as bad....didnt score, gave up sacks, couldnt block a lick.....just turrble.....

    I get the lynch mob is ready and Im not getting in the way....go ahead and fire em all......but dont get all yakked up when a lot of these same guys still suck with the new coach....

    So are you saying fire Farmer? Pettine is even more clueless than old Pat Shur-loss when it comes to clock management.

    I'm getting pretty close to the Nuke it all strategy.

    @hoorta said:

    We have more talent than 1999, and are playing even worse, if that's possible.

    So are you saying fire Farmer? Pettine is even more clueless than old Pat Shur-loss when it comes to clock management.

    I'm getting pretty close to the Nuke it all strategy.

    LOL! We had a little saying in Vietnam (and I did not do this), kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. πŸ˜›

  • Speaking of offensive talent, it kills me to see Allen Robinson of the Jags continue to blow up. He was part of the famed WR class that Farmer didn't want any part of. Just...wow.

    But we got Vince Mayle the next year!! *groan*

  • And O'Neil still has his cozy job. I wonder how many sacks we'll get next Sunday?

  • And O'Neil still has his cozy job. I wonder how many sacks we'll get next Sunday?

    @stillmotion said:

    And O'Neil still has his cozy job. I wonder how many sacks we'll get next Sunday?

    Zero if its up to Kruger....

    And zero, unless we get someone to cover some receivers for more than a second or 2.....

  • @stillmotion said:

    And O'Neil still has his cozy job. I wonder how many sacks we'll get next Sunday?

    Zero if its up to Kruger....

    And zero, unless we get someone to cover some receivers for more than a second or 2.....

    @mudfly said:

    Zero if its up to Kruger....

    And zero, unless we get someone to cover some receivers for more than a second or 2.....

    Bademosi is practicing really hard, we should start him. And the night cashier who works for Speedway in Strongsville has a lot of "heart". Let's start him, and hopefully he can execute O'Neil's scheme and shut down the 49ers.