Skip to content

Lets look at the D.....last year/this year

The Browns Board
96 21 2.6k
  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So if you're in favor of using yards as the metric, and we were 9th in yards...we're the 9th best defense.

    I'm using the numbers that best support my claim....you know the same thing you were doing with Mud.
    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @canton-dawg said:

    I'm using the numbers that best support my claim....you know the same thing you were doing with Mud.

    Actually, I was using the numbers that best showed the comparative performance of our players.

    But not everybody can understand simple things like facts, so I understand the confusion.

  • Points per drive is the best metric as it allows for offenses that score quickly.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #79

    @wargograw said:

    Points per drive is the best metric as it allows for offenses that score quickly.

    But not defenses and special teams that give them good field position. An offense that drives 70 yards and picks up just a field goal is still better than one whose D gives them the ball 30 yards out but doesn't move at all and settles for a field goal, no?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Pro Football Reference has them as the 23rd ranked defense.

    No matter how you slice it, they were not a defensive juggernaut in 2013 (which is my point).

    2013 Defensive Rankings.JPG

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm

    This is scoring defense which is not the go-to metric of good defense.

    Just admit you read the original chart incorrectly and move on.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @wargograw said:

    This is scoring defense which is not the go-to metric of good defense.

    Just admit you read the original chart incorrectly and move on.

    Show me ANY chart that proves that the Browns were a defensive juggernaut in 2013 then we can both move on.
  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #81

    They were 4-12.....and still are....

    Nothing really to debate there...

  • They were 4-12.....and still are....

    Nothing really to debate there...

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by Canton Dawg
    #82

    @mudfly said:

    They were 4-12.....and still are....

    Nothing really to debate there...

    At least you get the gist.

    W's & L's are the ultimate metric.

  • @wargograw said:

    This is scoring defense which is not the go-to metric of good defense.

    Just admit you read the original chart incorrectly and move on.

    Show me ANY chart that proves that the Browns were a defensive juggernaut in 2013 then we can both move on.
    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #83

    @canton-dawg said:

    Show me ANY chart that proves that the Browns were a defensive juggernaut in 2013 then we can both move on.

    Who said they were a defensive juggernaut? I said "weren't they top 10", you said no, you were wrong. Now you're trying to construct unrelated arguments to validate your mistake.

    That's really all there is to it. This didn't need to be three pages of you huffing and puffing and trying to make a point.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Show me ANY chart that proves that the Browns were a defensive juggernaut in 2013 then we can both move on.

    Who said they were a defensive juggernaut? I said "weren't they top 10", you said no, you were wrong. Now you're trying to construct unrelated arguments to validate your mistake.

    That's really all there is to it. This didn't need to be three pages of you huffing and puffing and trying to make a point.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by Canton Dawg
    #84

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Who said they were a defensive juggernaut? I said "weren't they top 10", you said no, you were wrong. Now you're trying to construct unrelated arguments to validate your mistake.

    That's really all there is to it. This didn't need to be three pages of you huffing and puffing and trying to make a point.

    The 2013 Browns defense sucked, I don't give a rat's ass how you want to spin it.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Who said they were a defensive juggernaut? I said "weren't they top 10", you said no, you were wrong. Now you're trying to construct unrelated arguments to validate your mistake.

    That's really all there is to it. This didn't need to be three pages of you huffing and puffing and trying to make a point.

    The 2013 Browns defense sucked, I don't give a rat's ass how you want to spin it.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @canton-dawg said:

    The 2013 Browns defense sucked, I don't give a rat's ass how you want to spin it.

    Fortunately, your misguided opinion on things has zero effect on how they actually are. If it did, I'm sure this world would be a much different place.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #86

    Bottom line, we give up too many points, AND too many yards. No matter how you slice it, we're aren't getting the job done. We don't get consistent pressure on the QB, we don't force enough turnovers, and we give up too many touchdowns instead of forcing FG's (I don't have the numbers, but I'm guessing we aren't a good red zone defense). Oh, and we don't stop the run...haven't in a while.

    We lack skill at the OLB position. Our secondary was devastated by injuries. We haven't tackled well (for the most part), and we have a severe lack of true play makers. Our first round picks haven't made the impact we'd hoped for, and that really hurts us. Shelton is doing "ok" for a rookie, and he plays a position that doesn't generally produce eye-popping numbers. It's not a glamorous position, and from what I read, he's making some rookie mistakes, but also holding his own at times. I wish I could say the same about Gilbert, who appears to be on his way out. Not getting ANY production out of the #8 pick cripples a team.

  • Bottom line, we give up too many points, AND too many yards. No matter how you slice it, we're aren't getting the job done. We don't get consistent pressure on the QB, we don't force enough turnovers, and we give up too many touchdowns instead of forcing FG's (I don't have the numbers, but I'm guessing we aren't a good red zone defense). Oh, and we don't stop the run...haven't in a while.

    We lack skill at the OLB position. Our secondary was devastated by injuries. We haven't tackled well (for the most part), and we have a severe lack of true play makers. Our first round picks haven't made the impact we'd hoped for, and that really hurts us. Shelton is doing "ok" for a rookie, and he plays a position that doesn't generally produce eye-popping numbers. It's not a glamorous position, and from what I read, he's making some rookie mistakes, but also holding his own at times. I wish I could say the same about Gilbert, who appears to be on his way out. Not getting ANY production out of the #8 pick cripples a team.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @jiggins7919 said:

    We don't get consistent pressure on the QB.....we don't force enough turnovers.....We lack skill at the OLB position.....Our secondary was devastated by injuries.....We haven't tackled well...... we have a severe lack of true play makers.....Our first round picks haven't made the impact we'd hoped for....

    Well....that about sums it up....

    And all because Kruger and Armonty had to cover a pass route....😉

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #88

    Today I saw a clear example of a prepared Defense that was simply overmatched.

    Time after time our D was ready for the PA that SEA threw at us. Even roll outs with designed screen throwbacks were defended. Only a couple naked boots worked... and then just barely...

    That's preparation... that's discipline.... that's scheme.

    So where'd the loss come from? Losing individual match-ups... In the first half it was in the secondary. In the second in was in the front seven. And here's the kicker... Seattle is not that talented.

  • Today I saw a clear example of a prepared Defense that was simply overmatched.

    Time after time our D was ready for the PA that SEA threw at us. Even roll outs with designed screen throwbacks were defended. Only a couple naked boots worked... and then just barely...

    That's preparation... that's discipline.... that's scheme.

    So where'd the loss come from? Losing individual match-ups... In the first half it was in the secondary. In the second in was in the front seven. And here's the kicker... Seattle is not that talented.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @tour2ma said:

    Seattle is not that talented.

    But more talented than the Browns.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Seattle is not that talented.

    But more talented than the Browns.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #90

    @canton-dawg said:

    But more talented than the Browns.

    Absolutely... especially on the Defensive side.

  • Today I saw a clear example of a prepared Defense that was simply overmatched.

    Time after time our D was ready for the PA that SEA threw at us. Even roll outs with designed screen throwbacks were defended. Only a couple naked boots worked... and then just barely...

    That's preparation... that's discipline.... that's scheme.

    So where'd the loss come from? Losing individual match-ups... In the first half it was in the secondary. In the second in was in the front seven. And here's the kicker... Seattle is not that talented.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @tour2ma said:

    So where'd the loss come from? ......Losing individual match-ups..

    There it is....

    DB's getting owned in one on one coverage....

    OLB's getting owned in one on one pass rush attempts.....

    Rewatched the Jets game this morning and watched their TE (Cumberland) literally throw Kruger to the ground.....TWICE.....

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #92

    Going to go out on a limb and guess you were not praising Cumberland's strength...

    Can't remember the play, but want to say it was early in the game when Kruger broke out a move I haven't seen from him in a while. After barely bumping into the LT with a "bull rush", he then spun right in front of the LT with no lateral move at all... I swear I could almost hear the LT laugh.

  • Going to go out on a limb and guess you were not praising Cumberland's strength...

    Can't remember the play, but want to say it was early in the game when Kruger broke out a move I haven't seen from him in a while. After barely bumping into the LT with a "bull rush", he then spun right in front of the LT with no lateral move at all... I swear I could almost hear the LT laugh.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #93

    @tour2ma said:

    Going to go out on a limb and guess you were not praising Cumberland's strength...

    Can't remember the play, but want to say it was early in the game when Kruger broke out a move I haven't seen from him in a while. After barely bumping into the LT with a "bull rush", he then spun right in front of the LT with no lateral move at all... I swear I could almost hear the LT laugh.

    Ha....yes, I saw that one too.....like a "spin in place".....ballerina style....

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #94

    to be fair there were 2 or so occasions where that spin move got him close to Wilson. Wilson was just getting the ball out so quick all day. I even saw Kruger break out a power rip instead of the slap tickle reach around he usually goes with. I guess he's working on his craft, who knew?

  • Bottom line, we give up too many points, AND too many yards. No matter how you slice it, we're aren't getting the job done. We don't get consistent pressure on the QB, we don't force enough turnovers, and we give up too many touchdowns instead of forcing FG's (I don't have the numbers, but I'm guessing we aren't a good red zone defense). Oh, and we don't stop the run...haven't in a while.

    We lack skill at the OLB position. Our secondary was devastated by injuries. We haven't tackled well (for the most part), and we have a severe lack of true play makers. Our first round picks haven't made the impact we'd hoped for, and that really hurts us. Shelton is doing "ok" for a rookie, and he plays a position that doesn't generally produce eye-popping numbers. It's not a glamorous position, and from what I read, he's making some rookie mistakes, but also holding his own at times. I wish I could say the same about Gilbert, who appears to be on his way out. Not getting ANY production out of the #8 pick cripples a team.

    B browns52 wrote on last edited by
    #95

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Bottom line, we give up too many points, AND too many yards. No matter how you slice it, we're aren't getting the job done. We don't get consistent pressure on the QB, we don't force enough turnovers, and we give up too many touchdowns instead of forcing FG's (I don't have the numbers, but I'm guessing we aren't a good red zone defense). Oh, and we don't stop the run...haven't in a while.

    We lack skill at the OLB position. Our secondary was devastated by injuries. We haven't tackled well (for the most part), and we have a severe lack of true play makers. Our first round picks haven't made the impact we'd hoped for, and that really hurts us. Shelton is doing "ok" for a rookie, and he plays a position that doesn't generally produce eye-popping numbers. It's not a glamorous position, and from what I read, he's making some rookie mistakes, but also holding his own at times. I wish I could say the same about Gilbert, who appears to be on his way out. Not getting ANY production out of the #8 pick cripples a team.

    no playmakers, no physical lb's, piss poor tackling etc etc leads to where we are....3-11 and soon to be 3-13

  • to be fair there were 2 or so occasions where that spin move got him close to Wilson. Wilson was just getting the ball out so quick all day. I even saw Kruger break out a power rip instead of the slap tickle reach around he usually goes with. I guess he's working on his craft, who knew?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #96

    @clevfan4life said:

    to be fair there were 2 or so occasions where that spin move got him close to Wilson. Wilson was just getting the ball out so quick all day.

    Well....to be fair to Kruger, he did get a few good hurries in......and, if the WR's weren't so damn wide open, he might have gotten a sack or two.....maybe....😉