Skip to content

2016 #1 DRAFT PICK ?

The Browns Board
25 18 896
  • if they keep the same people making the picks, then NO it makes no difference

  • if they keep the same people making the picks, then NO it makes no difference

    @browns149 said:

    if they keep the same people making the picks, then NO it makes no difference

    Farmer ain't going anywhere.

  • Winning is fine by me I don't care.

    Any top 10 pick probably gives us about the same chance to land a great player - whether #1, #5, or #10.

  • If Farmer stays it won't matter who he picks in the 1st round, they will suck

    He's proven he can't make a decent 1st round pick

  • It gives us more leverage in multiple trade downs to start at the very top.

  • I think it definitely matters. Drafting the "best available" is, in my mind, a fantasy. You have to draft for needs and therefore, you first draft pick may not be the best available.

  • If Farmer stays it won't matter who he picks in the 1st round, they will suck

    He's proven he can't make a decent 1st round pick

    @browns149 said:

    If Farmer stays it won't matter who he picks in the 1st round, they will suck

    He's proven he can't make a decent 1st round pick

    You said it!
  • I think it definitely matters. Drafting the "best available" is, in my mind, a fantasy. You have to draft for needs and therefore, you first draft pick may not be the best available.

    @medinadawg said:

    I think it definitely matters. Drafting the "best available" is, in my mind, a fantasy. You have to draft for needs and therefore, you first draft pick may not be the best available.

    To a certain extent. I also think there are teams out there (the really good ones) that can draft BPA
  • Being the Browns could still end up with the #1 spot in the 2016 draft, is it really that big of a deal if we don't get the 1st pick and still get 3 or 4th spot?

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Being the Browns could still end up with the #1 spot in the 2016 draft, is it really that big of a deal if we don't get the 1st pick and still get 3 or 4th spot?

    I see it as the elite eight picks.

    If you have one of those, you can have the best player at any of the main positions...

    OL

    DL

    LB

    CB

    S

    QB

    RB

    WR

    You could probably increase that by seven...

    Interior or outside lineman on both sides of the ball and inside and outside backer, and possibly TE.

    I would never consider a kicker or fullback in round one.

  • But is the Best Player at every position "elite"?

  • At 4 they would still get a impact player that is if farmer is fired if farmer is here he prob will trade the pick for bowes cousin or something.

  • I don't like drafting for need, QB aside. The whole thing is a crapshoot so if you're taking someone in a position of need and he sucks, the need doesn't go away. Then there's injuries etc in other positions you supposedly don't need, Take your top talent on the board every time.

  • Way too early for draft debates.... but....

    "The list" is not a rigid, in-this-order thing. They're groups of objectively similarly talented prospects. It's OK to order a given group based upon need.

  • I agree London which is why Cam was picked way too high last year.

  • If you're drafting top 5, you have so many holes that you should just add good football players, so BPA.

    If you're already stacked like the bengals/panthers, you don't have needs, so you should just add good football players.

    If you believe you're one guy away, then maybe you can draft for need. But there aren't too many teams in that position.

  • But is the Best Player at every position "elite"?

    @tour2ma said:

    But is the Best Player at every position "elite"?

    Who knows? Generally in any given year, you only have a few elite players.

  • Jaylon Smith, OLB.

    I hate draft talk, but we need a LB who can make a difference. Get this guy.

    No O- linemen until round 4 or 5.

  • we have to start looking at drafting BPA's and signing FA's for need. It just so happens that this year a lot of the BPA's are defensive players which is also our most pressing need. I don't know anymore who we go with since Bosa has kind of made it clear he thinks Cleveland is a shithole. I don't want a player on the team that thinks Cleveland is Shiite. He's gonna be just another dick collecting a check from jimmy. On the other hand, lets be honest...probably all of them to some extent feel that way about Cleveland. Sucks cause I do like the city. But young cunts want that south beach atmosphere to play in. So there's an argument to just take Bosa, let him play up for his 2nd contract and if he's really that miserable ship him off.

  • It's a good question, and the short answer is "no", I don't think it matters. In fact, I could argue that NOT having the #1 pick is actually somewhat better in some cases. Not as much pressure, and no need to jam a square peg in a round hole. Of course, it always depends on WHO is available in the draft, and if someone like Winston is available, then you take a guy like that instantly. This draft, however, has NOTHING like that. There is no Clowney, no Winston, or no Luck.

    Bosa fits a pretty big need, but I'm not so sure he's the best all around fit for us. Doesn't he prefer to play with a hand in the dirt? Isn't he more of a 4-3 DE? I'm sure he could LEARN to be an OLB, but the last thing we need is some kind of project. If we can't trade down a bit, I say we take Laquon Treadwill.

  • Treadwell is a reach and a half at #1, and drafting for need. Unfortunately, there's nobody at the top that fills a position of need for us. Bosa is close, as is ramsay and maybe hargreaves, but are they worthy of a #1 pick (in our system)?