Skip to content

Starting to Soften on Keeping Pettine

The Browns Board
52 29 2.6k
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #21

    I'll go on record for giving Pettine one more year just for the continuity.

    Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

    The teams with the highest turnover rate seem to suck the worst for the most part.

    WSS

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Well......a very interesting read.....HA!

    This MUST be my christmas present from the board......πŸ˜‰

  • I've always liked Pettine. Don't feel a coach needs to be fiery to be good.

    However...After being down 27-13 to the Donkeys Tomlin tells his DBs not to blink or he'll cut their eyelids off!!!

    http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/16976/mike-tomlins-motivational-stocking-stuffers-spread-steelers-cheer

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @stinkhole said:

    I've always liked Pettine. Don't feel a coach needs to be fiery to be good.

    However...After being down 27-13 to the Donkeys Tomlin tells his DBs not to blink or he'll cut their eyelids off!!!

    http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/16976/mike-tomlins-motivational-stocking-stuffers-spread-steelers-cheer

    Then, would you be willing to trade Pettine for Tomlin straight up?

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #24

    The team seems to respect Pettine and is still playing to win, and I like the way Flip has done for the most part. Defense has trended positively late in the season despite injuries.

    If I was a betting man I'd bet on Pettine staying.

  • Well......a very interesting read.....HA!

    This MUST be my christmas present from the board......πŸ˜‰

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mudfly said:

    Well......a very interesting read.....HA!

    This MUST be my christmas present from the board...... πŸ˜‰

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

  • Believe it or not, a lot of this has to do with some great posting in here not only buffering my frustration but pointing out more accurate angles for conclusions. Hats off to everybody. On top of that, I keep losing sight of Pettine being in charge of all 3 stages today. While I remain frustrated with the defense, there's some silver linings I see here in some very important areas as well as some doable upgrades and problem solves:

    1) QB is supposed to be the most important position on the team. This year, the least of all our problems on game day was the QB position regardless of what guy we turned to. The Defense was never going to protect our starter with a reasonable/doable margin of error so winning a close low scoring game was never going to be our reality. The more I think about it with Manziel - partying wasn't his only problem coming here. Nobody ever said "NO" all the while he was the most needed man in his 2 previous football programs prior to draft day. My guess is that wasn't exclusive to just football but at home as the son of 2 wealthy parents. He was a brat even before his football talent synergized that quality. The biggest part of Manziel's improvement process (aside from treatment) IMO was getting him to understand that success at the PRO level isn't possible without commitment and preparation at a PRO level. Offensive players here this year look at him as a credible leader on the field if my perception to what I'm watching is accurate.

    2) Understanding #1 - the following beneficiaries emerged: Gary Barnidge, Travis Benjamin, and Joe Thomas and Alex Mack (in pass pro). We also had a promising rookie RB Duke Johnson presenting us with a nice prong of attack especially catching the ball.

    3) The first 2 points mean we might actually some decent coaching going on at the following positions in particular: Tight End, Wide Receiver, QB, Offensive Line and RB. Let's hope Josh Gordon comes back with a better attitude than he had at the end of 2014; because adding him to Benjamin, Barnidge and Duke makes this a fun bunch to QB. There's 1 more variable that has to work that we haven't had much luck with regarding Gordon. Maybe the full year without football with only so much time left to go after the dream salary finally works in our favor? If that doesn't light the fanny of Gordon AND greedy agent attached at the hip - the alternative becomes curtains on the chance to be a millionaire at something the guy is extremely talented at. Difficult math? Doesn't have to be.

    4) Because this defense is one of the worst we've ever seen - there's some obvious things that can be corrected beginning with bringing in a more experienced DC like a Jim Schwartz. Schwartz improved Buffalo's defense in 2014 to 4th overall from 20th overall in 2013 (under Pettine). Buffalo's record also went from 6-10 in 2013 to 9-7 in 2014 so maybe a combination/blend of Pettine and Schwartz could improve the effect and success of varying our fronts. In the process, Pettine wouldn't have to feel like he needs to babysit or hand hold a lesser experienced DC again.

    5) This might invite some disagreement but what else is new coming from me? I think it's time for Special Teams Coach Chris Tabor to get his walking papers. I've seen enough of that continuity on Special Teams even though the premise of keeping some degree of continuity was a forgivable mistake. I don't think we've ever had a 2-3 year trend of more flags on our return units for ill-advised blocks. I can't remember if it was Brad Seeley or Ted Daisher or both - but we always seemed to have really respectable STs to the extent Josh Cribbs, Phil Dawson and Ryan Pontbriand made Pro Bowls. Outside of the Baltimore game, the 1 area of STs I didn't have any complaints about was our punt/kick coverage where Bademosi was awarded with a Pro Bowl invitation out of. He may not be a very good corner at this time; but he is very talented at breaking a double-press outside as a punt coverage gunner.

    6) Some young/inexperienced guys like Orchard, Gaines (like this kid), Cooper, Shelton and Campbell are getting some experience under their belts. Looking forward to seeing injured rookie CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu playing for us in 2016. I already mentioned Duke Johnson on the offensive side of the ball as well as our 22 year old QB if he stays. Also worth noting was the pleasant surprise of how well Armonty Bryant bounced back from injury.

    7) It seems pretty easy to see what side of the ball needs the most help in the draft and possibly in free agency (although I wouldn't complain if we added another offensive lineman at the top of round 2).

    😎 In order to get #7 right - Farmer needs to get his walking papers within 2 weeks. He's the one guy that needs to go we all agreed on even when we argued whether Pettine deserved to be held as accountable. While many might not agree with Bill Parcells' "you are what your record says you are" like I do - they might be more inclined to agree with is "if you're going to judge me on the meal I cook - you better put me in charge of selecting the groceries for it." I'd rather have Pettine getting a BIG say on the next corner we need from the research/film collected by our scouting dept in tandem with a better FO guy than having him feeling like he still needs to spend time getting O'Neil up to speed enough to teach the defense the way it needs to be taught so that all the players buy into it. That's what made an idea like an experienced DC like Jim Schwartz an easy one.

    9) Injuries can't be any worse to us than they've been in 2014 and 2015. Yeah, I know all teams have injuries but ones trying to overcome 4-12 from 2013 (following the cumulative effect of bad drafting here since 1999) haven't really made progress possible. When people were trying to point this out to me in the last few weeks, I didn't realize I was actually most pissed that Mike Pettine wasn't a miracle worker (not to be confused with Head Coach). Definitely my bad.

    That about wraps up my I'm okay with Pettine the Dawg. I know I'm missing stuff so please feel free to add your points of agreement or disagreement.

    Merry Christmas folks!

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #26

    @flugel said:

    Believe it or not, a lot of this has to do with some great posting in here not only buffering my frustration but pointing out more accurate angles for conclusions. Hats off to everybody. On top of that, I keep losing sight of Pettine being in charge of all 3 stages today. While I remain frustrated with the defense, there's some silver linings I see here in some very important areas as well as some doable upgrades and problem solves:

    1) QB is supposed to be the most important position on the team. This year, the least of all our problems on game day was the QB position regardless of what guy we turned to. The Defense was never going to protect our starter with a reasonable/doable margin of error so winning a close low scoring game was never going to be our reality. The more I think about it with Manziel - partying wasn't his only problem coming here. Nobody ever said "NO" all the while he was the most needed man in his 2 previous football programs prior to draft day. My guess is that wasn't exclusive to just football but at home as the son of 2 wealthy parents. He was a brat even before his football talent synergized that quality. The biggest part of Manziel's improvement process (aside from treatment) IMO was getting him to understand that success at the PRO level isn't possible without commitment and preparation at a PRO level. Offensive players here this year look at him as a credible leader on the field if my perception to what I'm watching is accurate.

    2) Understanding #1 - the following beneficiaries emerged: Gary Barnidge, Travis Benjamin, and Joe Thomas and Alex Mack (in pass pro). We also had a promising rookie RB Duke Johnson presenting us with a nice prong of attack especially catching the ball.

    3) The first 2 points mean we might actually some decent coaching going on at the following positions in particular: Tight End, Wide Receiver, QB, Offensive Line and RB. Let's hope Josh Gordon comes back with a better attitude than he had at the end of 2014; because adding him to Benjamin, Barnidge and Duke makes this a fun bunch to QB. There's 1 more variable that has to work that we haven't had much luck with regarding Gordon. Maybe the full year without football with only so much time left to go after the dream salary finally works in our favor? If that doesn't light the fanny of Gordon AND greedy agent attached at the hip - the alternative becomes curtains on the chance to be a millionaire at something the guy is extremely talented at. Difficult math? Doesn't have to be.

    4) Because this defense is one of the worst we've ever seen - there's some obvious things that can be corrected beginning with bringing in a more experienced DC like a Jim Schwartz. Schwartz improved Buffalo's defense in 2014 to 4th overall from 20th overall in 2013 (under Pettine). Buffalo's record also went from 6-10 in 2013 to 9-7 in 2014 so maybe a combination/blend of Pettine and Schwartz could improve the effect and success of varying our fronts. In the process, Pettine wouldn't have to feel like he needs to babysit or hand hold a lesser experienced DC again.

    5) This might invite some disagreement but what else is new coming from me? I think it's time for Special Teams Coach Chris Tabor to get his walking papers. I've seen enough of that continuity on Special Teams even though the premise of keeping some degree of continuity was a forgivable mistake. I don't think we've ever had a 2-3 year trend of more flags on our return units for ill-advised blocks. I can't remember if it was Brad Seeley or Ted Daisher or both - but we always seemed to have really respectable STs to the extent Josh Cribbs, Phil Dawson and Ryan Pontbriand made Pro Bowls. Outside of the Baltimore game, the 1 area of STs I didn't have any complaints about was our punt/kick coverage where Bademosi was awarded with a Pro Bowl invitation out of. He may not be a very good corner at this time; but he is very talented at breaking a double-press outside as a punt coverage gunner.

    6) Some young/inexperienced guys like Orchard, Gaines (like this kid), Cooper, Shelton and Campbell are getting some experience under their belts. Looking forward to seeing injured rookie CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu playing for us in 2016. I already mentioned Duke Johnson on the offensive side of the ball as well as our 22 year old QB if he stays. Also worth noting was the pleasant surprise of how well Armonty Bryant bounced back from injury.

    7) It seems pretty easy to see what side of the ball needs the most help in the draft and possibly in free agency (although I wouldn't complain if we added another offensive lineman at the top of round 2).

    😎 In order to get #7 right - Farmer needs to get his walking papers within 2 weeks. He's the one guy that needs to go we all agreed on even when we argued whether Pettine deserved to be held as accountable. While many might not agree with Bill Parcells' "you are what your record says you are" like I do - they might be more inclined to agree with is "if you're going to judge me on the meal I cook - you better put me in charge of selecting the groceries for it." I'd rather have Pettine getting a BIG say on the next corner we need from the research/film collected by our scouting dept in tandem with a better FO guy than having him feeling like he still needs to spend time getting O'Neil up to speed enough to teach the defense the way it needs to be taught so that all the players buy into it. That's what made an idea like an experienced DC like Jim Schwartz an easy one.

    9) Injuries can't be any worse to us than they've been in 2014 and 2015. Yeah, I know all teams have injuries but ones trying to overcome 4-12 from 2013 (following the cumulative effect of bad drafting here since 1999) haven't really made progress possible. When people were trying to point this out to me in the last few weeks, I didn't realize I was actually most pissed that Mike Pettine wasn't a miracle worker (not to be confused with Head Coach). Definitely my bad.

    That about wraps up my I'm okay with Pettine the Dawg. I know I'm missing stuff so please feel free to add your points of agreement or disagreement.

    Merry Christmas folks!

    This was where I last stood on things when that pov wasn't popular at all. Who do we suppose I was praising most in my very first sentence above?

  • @mudfly said:

    Well......a very interesting read.....HA!

    This MUST be my christmas present from the board...... πŸ˜‰

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    @flugel said:

    This was where I last stood on things when that pov wasn't popular at all.

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    This is good stuff for a Saturday morning read. πŸ˜‰

  • @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    @flugel said:

    This was where I last stood on things when that pov wasn't popular at all.

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....

    We drafted 2 edge rushers early in our 2016 draft priority and cut Kruger while getting exchange value for Mingo's football instincts of a raccoon crossing the highway at night time. It wasn't exactly brilliant intellect that went into cutting Pryor last year only to bring him back so late - he got very little game experience and development. We also drafted a couple LBers and 2 DBs. Kindred impressed me while Schobert didn't look bad in his first action.

    I'm not going to pretend I didn't veer into wanting Pettine gone for a brief period when I thought he lost some very important veteran support on this team he previously earned/built up in 2014. That said, it was only about 5 weeks of the 2 years (32 games) he was here. I began 2015 only pissed at Farmer and didn't start changing my tune on Pettine until after the Cincy game in November whether I was right or wrong in doing so. My frustration with O'Neil was way longer. You did a great job of bringing me back around on Pettine.

    Nobody is asking you to not be frustrated with what you dealt with any more than they have been asking you to predict flawless football in 2016. People that enjoy your loyalty and passion just like seeing you with a game face but I promise there will be no pistols to your temple while you are in wait and see mode. Again, I compliment about 98-99% of your posts because you make it easy to do that. You're one of the best posters I've ever read in my cyberspace existence that began in 1998 so I respect your opinions more than you think. I thought you and I had a great conversation a few weeks ago when you clarified what you're frustrated with and why you remain passionate about it.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #30

    Flugs... told you Mud was calling you out...

  • Flugs... told you Mud was calling you out...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #31

    @tour2ma said:

    Flugs... told you Mud was calling you out...

    I'm very happy for you today even if your guilt trip remains without passenger.

  • @flugel said:

    4) Because this defense is one of the worst we've ever seen - there's some obvious things that can be corrected beginning with bringing in a more experienced DC like a Jim Schwartz. Schwartz improved Buffalo's defense in 2014 to 4th overall from 20th overall in 2013 (under Pettine). Buffalo's record also went from 6-10 in 2013 to 9-7 in 2014 so maybe a combination/blend of Pettine and Schwartz could improve the effect and success of varying our fronts. In the process, Pettine wouldn't have to feel like he needs to babysit or hand hold a lesser experienced DC again.

    Won't happen barring a Scrooge level Christmas heart turn around or threatening Pettine's job. It would require a rather dramatic departure from our schematic approach to his defense.

    Which is sad because I firmly believe in the hands of Schwartz this defense could be quite good.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #32

    @tiamat63 said:

    Won't happen barring a Scrooge level Christmas heart turn around or threatening Pettine's job. It would require a rather dramatic departure from our schematic approach to his defense.

    Which is sad because I firmly believe in the hands of Schwartz this defense could be quite good.

    *ahem*

    I'll beat this horse LONG after it's dead.

  • @mudfly said:

    Well......a very interesting read.....HA!

    This MUST be my christmas present from the board...... πŸ˜‰

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    jbluhm86J jbluhm86 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    3085588-6833992416-70412.jpg

  • @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    @flugel said:

    This was where I last stood on things when that pov wasn't popular at all.

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @mudfly said:

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

  • @mudfly said:

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @baconhound said:

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

    Virtually.....that means there were very few.....including you....πŸ˜‰

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

  • @baconhound said:

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

    Virtually.....that means there were very few.....including you....πŸ˜‰

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @mudfly said:

    Virtually.....that means there were very few.....including you.... πŸ˜‰

    And unfortunately the prize for being correct is watching another 3-13, 4-12 season.

  • Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by BaconHound
    #38

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    No way to accurately evaluate Pettine based on the talent he had and in that same vein you can't properly evaluate Hue either.

  • Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    Thank you!

    The man sent in the kicker to try a 60 yard FG with Devin Hester standing in the middle of the end zone. It was kicked and Hester caught it right where he was standing. The idiot Atlanta coach had called TO to ice the kicker...so what did brilliant Pettine do? He kicked it again and it was ALMOST returned for a TD.

    That's all you need to know, to know that Pettine was a bad coach because that's being about as stupid as stupid gets.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #40

    who brought this dumbass thread back out of no where ?

    why ? who fucking cares pettine was a fucking high school coach