Skip to content

Starting to Soften on Keeping Pettine

The Browns Board
52 29 2.6k
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    This is good stuff for a Saturday morning read. 😉

  • @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    @flugel said:

    This was where I last stood on things when that pov wasn't popular at all.

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....

    We drafted 2 edge rushers early in our 2016 draft priority and cut Kruger while getting exchange value for Mingo's football instincts of a raccoon crossing the highway at night time. It wasn't exactly brilliant intellect that went into cutting Pryor last year only to bring him back so late - he got very little game experience and development. We also drafted a couple LBers and 2 DBs. Kindred impressed me while Schobert didn't look bad in his first action.

    I'm not going to pretend I didn't veer into wanting Pettine gone for a brief period when I thought he lost some very important veteran support on this team he previously earned/built up in 2014. That said, it was only about 5 weeks of the 2 years (32 games) he was here. I began 2015 only pissed at Farmer and didn't start changing my tune on Pettine until after the Cincy game in November whether I was right or wrong in doing so. My frustration with O'Neil was way longer. You did a great job of bringing me back around on Pettine.

    Nobody is asking you to not be frustrated with what you dealt with any more than they have been asking you to predict flawless football in 2016. People that enjoy your loyalty and passion just like seeing you with a game face but I promise there will be no pistols to your temple while you are in wait and see mode. Again, I compliment about 98-99% of your posts because you make it easy to do that. You're one of the best posters I've ever read in my cyberspace existence that began in 1998 so I respect your opinions more than you think. I thought you and I had a great conversation a few weeks ago when you clarified what you're frustrated with and why you remain passionate about it.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #30

    Flugs... told you Mud was calling you out...

  • Flugs... told you Mud was calling you out...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #31

    @tour2ma said:

    Flugs... told you Mud was calling you out...

    I'm very happy for you today even if your guilt trip remains without passenger.

  • @flugel said:

    4) Because this defense is one of the worst we've ever seen - there's some obvious things that can be corrected beginning with bringing in a more experienced DC like a Jim Schwartz. Schwartz improved Buffalo's defense in 2014 to 4th overall from 20th overall in 2013 (under Pettine). Buffalo's record also went from 6-10 in 2013 to 9-7 in 2014 so maybe a combination/blend of Pettine and Schwartz could improve the effect and success of varying our fronts. In the process, Pettine wouldn't have to feel like he needs to babysit or hand hold a lesser experienced DC again.

    Won't happen barring a Scrooge level Christmas heart turn around or threatening Pettine's job. It would require a rather dramatic departure from our schematic approach to his defense.

    Which is sad because I firmly believe in the hands of Schwartz this defense could be quite good.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #32

    @tiamat63 said:

    Won't happen barring a Scrooge level Christmas heart turn around or threatening Pettine's job. It would require a rather dramatic departure from our schematic approach to his defense.

    Which is sad because I firmly believe in the hands of Schwartz this defense could be quite good.

    *ahem*

    I'll beat this horse LONG after it's dead.

  • @mudfly said:

    Well......a very interesting read.....HA!

    This MUST be my christmas present from the board...... 😉

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    jbluhm86J jbluhm86 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    3085588-6833992416-70412.jpg

  • @flugel said:

    Remember this thread I started Mud?

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    @flugel said:

    This was where I last stood on things when that pov wasn't popular at all.

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @mudfly said:

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

  • @mudfly said:

    Yes, I do.....and, if you remember, this came after 2 months of me standing(virtually) alone against the whole lynch mob board, who INSISTED this team was LOADED with talent, that Pettine was misusing and, basically, ruining.....while I screamed to the heavens that it was talent talent talentless.....and everyone(including you) said it was coaching....and Farmer(Mr. Trade back).....

    Yet....suddenly.....EVERYONE claims it was common knowledge and this strip HAD to happen....as if you all weren't just telling about all the great talent this team had JUST LAST FALL.....

    Now, after reading that post, in which you're talking defense and our extensive needs on defense.....yet, we draft 4 WR's and you're like thats GREAT!......and when you're screaming to fire Farmer, then post how Shashi gets the amazing idea to trade back for quantity and how billiant that is....sheesh

    I took heaps of shit for defending Pettine and saying it was talent...heaps of shit.....yet, NOW, its basically the prevailing thought that "everyone knew this team didnt have talents, blah blah blah"....my ass....what a load of crap....

    I took heaps of shit on pointing out how shitty Kruger was and spent, god only knows how many hours, hearing you guys(yeah you) pointing out how good Kruger was and that Pettine and Oneill just didnt know how to use him(or Shelton), cause god only knows Shelton was bad because Pettine rotated him in and out, cause him to be tired from running to the sideline(yep, that was you too).....YET, this year, it AGAIN is the prevailing thought that everyone knew this and it was a GREAT move by Shashi to cut Kruger......and Shelton, even when he's not being rotated in and out, looks pretty much the same....

    Blah blah blah....

    Believe me....I remember these talks too and Ive been on the opposing side WAY more....and, for the most part, my arguments have PROVEN OUT to be correct....And, unlike Ghoolie, I dont usually go on an "i TOLD YA SO RANT"....But, IF i DID, it would be a very very long diatribe.......

    So....sorry if Im not crazy about Hue or Shashi, sorry if my observations go against the grain, sorry if I dont see great talent, where others apparently do.....but Im not gonna start playing the company line because you guys cant stand to hear quality observations that miss the mark you are aiming for....

    Contradiction contradiction contradiction....

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @baconhound said:

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

    Virtually.....that means there were very few.....including you....😉

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

  • @baconhound said:

    You never stood alone on Pettine and the talentless 52

    Virtually.....that means there were very few.....including you....😉

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @mudfly said:

    Virtually.....that means there were very few.....including you.... 😉

    And unfortunately the prize for being correct is watching another 3-13, 4-12 season.

  • Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by BaconHound
    #38

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    No way to accurately evaluate Pettine based on the talent he had and in that same vein you can't properly evaluate Hue either.

  • Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    Thank you!

    The man sent in the kicker to try a 60 yard FG with Devin Hester standing in the middle of the end zone. It was kicked and Hester caught it right where he was standing. The idiot Atlanta coach had called TO to ice the kicker...so what did brilliant Pettine do? He kicked it again and it was ALMOST returned for a TD.

    That's all you need to know, to know that Pettine was a bad coach because that's being about as stupid as stupid gets.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #40

    who brought this dumbass thread back out of no where ?

    why ? who fucking cares pettine was a fucking high school coach

  • Pettine was not a good coach. Resurrecting this thread doesn't change that.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach.

    wrong.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach.

    wrong.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @miktoxic said:

    wrong.

    only if your talking high school

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pettine was not a good coach.

    wrong.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @miktoxic said:

    wrong.

    His head coaching record and the fact that he's just as employed by the NFL as we are currently would indicate otherwise.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #44

    These old dorks love him because he looks and sounds like a Cleveland guy. He has no personality whatsoever. He talks about "toughness" while not letting thugs on his team. He's absolutely boring as all get out and so are his teams. No surprise there's still a faction of Browns fans bitter that he was fired. Would I have fired him? No, but the guy's terrible.

  • @miktoxic said:

    wrong.

    His head coaching record and the fact that he's just as employed by the NFL as we are currently would indicate otherwise.

    T The User from Cleveland wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    His head coaching record and the fact that he's just as employed by the NFL as we are currently would indicate otherwise.

    He's taking the year off.

  • These old dorks love him because he looks and sounds like a Cleveland guy. He has no personality whatsoever. He talks about "toughness" while not letting thugs on his team. He's absolutely boring as all get out and so are his teams. No surprise there's still a faction of Browns fans bitter that he was fired. Would I have fired him? No, but the guy's terrible.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @wargograw said:

    These old dorks love him because he looks and sounds like a Cleveland guy. He has no personality whatsoever. He talks about "toughness" while not letting thugs on his team. He's absolutely boring as all get out and so are his teams. No surprise there's still a faction of Browns fans bitter that he was fired. Would I have fired him? No, but the guy's terrible.

    I don't think anyone loves him but take a quick look at Hue's job today. Too many penalties, Mccown getting killed, young guys with 2 costly 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties, terrible challenge and complete lack of offense for 3 1/2 quarters, is he a terrible coach.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #47

    I'm not an idiot so I don't make those kind of calls after two games. And plenty of people loved Pettine.