Skip to content

Browns Hire Horton For D C

The Browns Board
199 42 6.5k
  • Zombo said:

    Ya, I was talking about that with someone else.

    That's gotta be embarrassing in negotiations.

    "Yes, Ray, we will still pay out your first contract and match what the Tits will pay you,plus more."

    Seems our defense got a lit up like a Christmas Tree that year down the stretch by teams like Jacksonville.

    Gordon had games of around 250 yards twice ... and we lost them both.

    But we had Brady and the Patriots snuffled for 59 minutes before T

    abor's ST couldn't field an onside kick.

    Zombo

    --Horton & Tabor ... Back for More!

    To carry this a little further ... the first team that Jimmy put together that he jettisoned after one year ... Chud/Norv - Horton - Tabor ... we are just inserting Hue/Hue for Chud/Norv as far as coaching leaders/schemes.

    And Hue and Chud/Norv seem pretty similar schematically.

    So there's that.

    Zombo

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward
    #72

    Zombo said:

    To carry this a little further ... the first team that Jimmy put together that he jettisoned after one year ... Chud/Norv - Horton - Tabor ... we are just inserting Hue/Hue for Chud/Norv as far as coaching leaders/schemes.

    And Hue and Chud/Norv seem pretty similar schematically.

    So there's that.

    Zombo

    Hopefully the difference is Hue

    ...I think this makes it pretty clear we would have been better off keeping Chud.

  • Zombo said:

    To carry this a little further ... the first team that Jimmy put together that he jettisoned after one year ... Chud/Norv - Horton - Tabor ... we are just inserting Hue/Hue for Chud/Norv as far as coaching leaders/schemes.

    And Hue and Chud/Norv seem pretty similar schematically.

    So there's that.

    Zombo

    Hopefully the difference is Hue

    ...I think this makes it pretty clear we would have been better off keeping Chud.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @bbedward said:

    Hopefully the difference is Hue

    ...I think this makes it pretty clear we would have been better off keeping Chud.

    Ya, I have digested that.

    Seems like we wasted two years with two football grunts who weren't interested in analytics and now we are going back to that, but in full force with Sashi and Paul and Hue, who is all in.

    Don't get me wrong, I am all in going forward, excited about this ... but the Cleveland Browns are funny.

    Zombo

  • We are still paying Horton from the first time he was here. 😆

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @bbedward said:

    We are still paying Horton from the first time he was here. 😆

    only in fucking Cleveland. Can't make that shit up.

  • D darubes wrote on last edited by
    #75

    Schwartz hired in Philly according to ESPN.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #76

    It sounds insane, but I actually liked Chud for some reason. I also liked having Norv Turner. Horton had success in Arizona I guess, but hasn't done well of late. It probably all comes down to talent, and here's to hoping we have the rights guys looking for our next stars.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #77

    I didn't understand anybody that didn't like Chud, he was a homer...I thought for once we had a local boy who was emotionally invested in Cleveland. And we shit him away. HAD to fire him, just like Shurm and just like Mangini. This coaching carousel is on my last fucking nerve. I almost want them to just fire Hue now and get it over with.

  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #78

    Probably a stupid question, but I must ask it: Horton doesn't seem to me to be a must have DC, so am I right in guessing Jackson wants him because he feels they would work well together? A related question: is it down to personality or his defensive schemes (which Jackson presumably prefers) or both? It isn't because Horton has been hugely successful so why him?

  • Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by
    #79

    If only we could go back two years and pretend Mike Pettine never happened.

  • I didn't understand anybody that didn't like Chud, he was a homer...I thought for once we had a local boy who was emotionally invested in Cleveland. And we shit him away. HAD to fire him, just like Shurm and just like Mangini. This coaching carousel is on my last fucking nerve. I almost want them to just fire Hue now and get it over with.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @clevfan4life said:

    I didn't understand anybody that didn't like Chud, he was a homer...I thought for once we had a local boy who was emotionally invested in Cleveland. And we shit him away. HAD to fire him, just like Shurm and just like Mangini. This coaching carousel is on my last fucking nerve. I almost want them to just fire Hue now and get it over with.

    With you on a couple ghosts of coaches past, but Chud?

  • If only we could go back two years and pretend Mike Pettine never happened.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @mike-h said:

    If only we could go back two years and pretend Mike Pettine never happened.

    How about we go back to Marty Schottenheimer and pretend that nothing in between ever happened?

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I didn't understand anybody that didn't like Chud, he was a homer...I thought for once we had a local boy who was emotionally invested in Cleveland. And we shit him away. HAD to fire him, just like Shurm and just like Mangini. This coaching carousel is on my last fucking nerve. I almost want them to just fire Hue now and get it over with.

    With you on a couple ghosts of coaches past, but Chud?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @tour2ma said:

    With you on a couple ghosts of coaches past, but Chud?

    I didn't have a big problem with Chud, maybe in a few years I dunno....but I def thought he did NOTHING to warrant getting rid of after 1 year. I also at the time didn't have a big problem with Hortons D even though now I realize the players they got were junk. If we stick with a 3-4 i'd rather his 3-4 than Pettines. The problem the first go round with Hortons D is that it suited the DL's but our edges were not 3-4 guys, and our ILB'ers were also lacking.

    I'm ok with hiring Horton if we still tear the defense up, I just suspect the interest in Horton is for the reason they don't want to do that. But overall I'd still prefer a switch to the 4-3.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #83

    I wonder what Dick Lebeau is planning on doing. He must be planning on coaching until he dies, but I wonder if he's planning to stay with the Titans.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #84

    If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

  • If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them.

    Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #86

    I haven't seen Mud post in awhile.

  • If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

  • @mike-h said:

    If only we could go back two years and pretend Mike Pettine never happened.

    How about we go back to Marty Schottenheimer and pretend that nothing in between ever happened?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #88

    @the-gipper said:

    How about we go back to Marty Schottenheimer and pretend that nothing in between ever happened?

    whats funny is i'd take ole Marty back in a second if he was still coachin.

  • If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @jiggins7919 said:

    then we need linebackers. Lots of them.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

    @clevfan4life said:

    we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

    I think you mean a Cleve draft... 😉

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #90

    cause excuse me, last time we were in the AFC championship was when?

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    then we need linebackers. Lots of them.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

    @clevfan4life said:

    we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

    I think you mean a Cleve draft... 😉

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @gftchris said:

    I think you mean a Cleve draft... 😉

    Nope.. I've done the carbon dating... 😉

    @mudfly said:

    I think we need to draft LB in rounds 1 thru 5.....and hope we score at least 2 that can play......otherwise, nothing will get better....