Skip to content

Browns Hire Horton For D C

The Browns Board
199 42 6.5k
  • If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them.

    Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #86

    I haven't seen Mud post in awhile.

  • If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

  • @mike-h said:

    If only we could go back two years and pretend Mike Pettine never happened.

    How about we go back to Marty Schottenheimer and pretend that nothing in between ever happened?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #88

    @the-gipper said:

    How about we go back to Marty Schottenheimer and pretend that nothing in between ever happened?

    whats funny is i'd take ole Marty back in a second if he was still coachin.

  • If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @jiggins7919 said:

    then we need linebackers. Lots of them.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

    @clevfan4life said:

    we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

    I think you mean a Cleve draft... šŸ˜‰

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #90

    cause excuse me, last time we were in the AFC championship was when?

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    then we need linebackers. Lots of them.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

    @clevfan4life said:

    we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

    I think you mean a Cleve draft... šŸ˜‰

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @gftchris said:

    I think you mean a Cleve draft... šŸ˜‰

    Nope.. I've done the carbon dating... šŸ˜‰

    @mudfly said:

    I think we need to draft LB in rounds 1 thru 5.....and hope we score at least 2 that can play......otherwise, nothing will get better....

  • cause excuse me, last time we were in the AFC championship was when?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @clevfan4life said:

    cause excuse me, last time we were in the AFC championship was when?

    Well....actually Bud Carson was our coach then.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    cause excuse me, last time we were in the AFC championship was when?

    Well....actually Bud Carson was our coach then.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #93

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....actually Bud Carson was our coach then.

    Wait wut? Wasn't that Marty that had us in the AFC championship in 88 or 89? I know I was a kid but I could swear that was Schotts team.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well....actually Bud Carson was our coach then.

    Wait wut? Wasn't that Marty that had us in the AFC championship in 88 or 89? I know I was a kid but I could swear that was Schotts team.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #94

    @clevfan4life said:

    Wait wut? Wasn't that Marty that had us in the AFC championship in 88 or 89? I know I was a kid but I could swear that was Schotts team.

    Marty was coach for 1986 and 1987 AFC title game. Then in 1988 the Browns down to 4th string QB Don Strock lost to the Houston Oilers in a wildcard game. That was Marty's last game here. He resigned rather than fire his brother as demanded by Modell.

    Bud Carson was hired then. Bud in his very first game as HC beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in Pitt. by 51-0. They went on that year to the AFC Central title...going 9-6-1. Bud's Browns beat Buffalo in a first round game before losing to Broncos 37-21 in the AFC title game.

    A year later, the seemingly elderly Bud apparently lost it and the team went 3-13 and he was canned.

    The thing though was....Bud was only 58 then....but he seemed like he was at least 70. He was "only" 74 when he died in 2005.

    Didn't the rest of you who were around at the time think that Bud Carson was a lot older than 58 when he coached here?

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #95

    From Ian Rapoport

    The #Browns are closing in on hiring Ray Horton as their defensive coordinator, source said. Working out a deal as we speak.

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #96

    I wasn't blown away by Horton's defense the first go around.

  • C CaineDeSoulis wrote on last edited by CaineDeSoulis
    #97

    Too bad its time for round 2 unfortunately.

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #98

    I'm not completely thrilled with bringing Horton back either.

    If we're going to recycle former coaches, I would be happier if they brought back Mangini as DC.

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #99

    Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal for Ray Horton.

  • Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal for Ray Horton.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @osiris said:

    Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal for Ray Horton.

    Well that is sad news indeed.. "Whor-ton" blows!

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by

    Apparently:

    Horton - DC

    Saunders - Senior Offense Assistant

    Wilson - RBs

    Hamilton - QBs

    According to MKCs sources

    Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
    Updated: #Browns have hired Ray Horton as DC, Al Saunders as Sr. Off Asst; Kirby Wilson RBs, Pep Hamilton QBs cleveland.com/browns/index.s…
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    Albert Breer reporting. . .

    So again, these Browns staff hires are done: Ray Horton, Pep Hamilton, Al Saunders, Kirby Wilson and Hal Hunter. Impressive haul for Hue.

  • Albert Breer reporting. . .

    So again, these Browns staff hires are done: Ray Horton, Pep Hamilton, Al Saunders, Kirby Wilson and Hal Hunter. Impressive haul for Hue.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    Albert Breer reporting. . .

    So again, these Browns staff hires are done: Ray Horton, Pep Hamilton, Al Saunders, Kirby Wilson and Hal Hunter. Impressive haul for Hue.

    I haven't seen Hal Hunter, is that as OL coach?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Albert Breer reporting. . .

    So again, these Browns staff hires are done: Ray Horton, Pep Hamilton, Al Saunders, Kirby Wilson and Hal Hunter. Impressive haul for Hue.

    I haven't seen Hal Hunter, is that as OL coach?

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @bbedward said:

    I haven't seen Hal Hunter, is that as OL coach?

    I didn't see any mention on Twitter on his official title, but I would assume he will be OL coach.

    I wonder why he was let go from the Colts.