Camp Goff
-
Needed a bump- guess who?
"Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the XX season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own."
EDIT: I left that up for fun. It's the pre draft report on Tom Brady. He seems to have turned out OK. A lot of the same knocks we're seeing on Goff.
Needed a bump- guess who?
"Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the XX season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own."
EDIT: I left that up for fun. It's the pre draft report on Tom Brady. He seems to have turned out OK. A lot of the same knocks we're seeing on Goff.
LMAO... "Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush" did not seem to fit my boy, but the rest might... in someone's mind anyway...

Who wrote that, h?
-
Needed a bump- guess who?
"Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the XX season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own."
EDIT: I left that up for fun. It's the pre draft report on Tom Brady. He seems to have turned out OK. A lot of the same knocks we're seeing on Goff.
LMAO... "Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush" did not seem to fit my boy, but the rest might... in someone's mind anyway...

Who wrote that, h?
LMAO... "Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush" did not seem to fit my boy, but the rest might... in someone's mind anyway...

Who wrote that, h?
Not sure, got that off the other board.

Goff is Tom Brady now?
He could be another Joey Harrington for all we know. But what I will say with confidence- Goff isn't going to have any off field issues like out last first round qb pick does.
-
-
So much for a vote of confidence.
Just keepin' it real Mike. The 26? name qb jersey has taught me to be cautious. That said, Wentz is obviously superior physically, but Goff having a relatively small frame & lesser arm shouldn't be a non-starter. I suppose the same could be said about Lynch being a system quarterback. Shades of Dave Klingler.
I like to think Hue knows what a potential upper level NFL quarterback looks like, & I'm sure the analytics guys will watch every snap Goff, Wentz, and Lynch took. As well as work them out. I do like Goff's comment he's going to do everything- including throw- at the combine.
I don't care who they pick, just pick the right guy for a change. Haven't heard about off field red flags about any of the top 3 qbs. Heard Wentz is a huntin' & fishin' kind of guy. (Just don't shoot yourself in the leg like Plaxico) Goff's Cal coach praised him as being super high character.
-
So much for a vote of confidence.
Just keepin' it real Mike. The 26? name qb jersey has taught me to be cautious. That said, Wentz is obviously superior physically, but Goff having a relatively small frame & lesser arm shouldn't be a non-starter. I suppose the same could be said about Lynch being a system quarterback. Shades of Dave Klingler.
I like to think Hue knows what a potential upper level NFL quarterback looks like, & I'm sure the analytics guys will watch every snap Goff, Wentz, and Lynch took. As well as work them out. I do like Goff's comment he's going to do everything- including throw- at the combine.
I don't care who they pick, just pick the right guy for a change. Haven't heard about off field red flags about any of the top 3 qbs. Heard Wentz is a huntin' & fishin' kind of guy. (Just don't shoot yourself in the leg like Plaxico) Goff's Cal coach praised him as being super high character.
Just keepin' it real Mike. The 26? name qb jersey has taught me to be cautious. That said, Wentz is obviously superior physically, but Goff having a relatively small frame & lesser arm shouldn't be a non-starter. I suppose the same could be said about Lynch being a system quarterback. Shades of Dave Klingler.
I like to think Hue knows what a potential upper level NFL quarterback looks like, & I'm sure the analytics guys will watch every snap Goff, Wentz, and Lynch took. As well as work them out. I do like Goff's comment he's going to do everything- including throw- at the combine.
I don't care who they pick, just pick the right guy for a change. Haven't heard about off field red flags about any of the top 3 qbs. Heard Wentz is a huntin' & fishin' kind of guy. (Just don't shoot yourself in the leg like Plaxico) Goff's Cal coach praised him as being super high character.
There was a report somewhere after the senior bowl that said Goff is the only prospect with 0 off field concerns.
The main things I like about him are the mental aspects - brain, vision, pocket awareness. The physical tools are good enough though. They were also saying Wentz had less velocity than Goff despite having a bigger arm.
-
Just keepin' it real Mike. The 26? name qb jersey has taught me to be cautious. That said, Wentz is obviously superior physically, but Goff having a relatively small frame & lesser arm shouldn't be a non-starter. I suppose the same could be said about Lynch being a system quarterback. Shades of Dave Klingler.
I like to think Hue knows what a potential upper level NFL quarterback looks like, & I'm sure the analytics guys will watch every snap Goff, Wentz, and Lynch took. As well as work them out. I do like Goff's comment he's going to do everything- including throw- at the combine.
I don't care who they pick, just pick the right guy for a change. Haven't heard about off field red flags about any of the top 3 qbs. Heard Wentz is a huntin' & fishin' kind of guy. (Just don't shoot yourself in the leg like Plaxico) Goff's Cal coach praised him as being super high character.
There was a report somewhere after the senior bowl that said Goff is the only prospect with 0 off field concerns.
The main things I like about him are the mental aspects - brain, vision, pocket awareness. The physical tools are good enough though. They were also saying Wentz had less velocity than Goff despite having a bigger arm.
They were also saying Wentz had less velocity than Goff despite having a bigger arm.
I've seen that. I think some is mechanics, but seems like mostly it's due to Wentz consciously using a lower percentage of his "power" for most of his throws. Almost like he aims the ball whenever he can... and it's not a "touch" thing.
A good example was the Sr. Bowl seam route to Vannett. The only throw Wentz flat out, ripped that I can remember off the top of my head was the out route in the Sr. Bowl.
I would think his receivers would want more of the latter.
-
Kid believes in himself...
I did not know Hue had Cal roots so he'll get the inside "story".
===========================================================================================
Jared Goff excited about Browns possibly drafting him at No. 2; confident he's 'best QB in draft'
By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com on February 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM, updated February 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_excited_about_brown.html
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cal quarterback Jared Goff, who's on the Browns' radar with their No. 2 pick in the draft, said recently he's the top quarterback of the 2016 class and that he'd be thrilled to land in Cleveland.
"I think my accuracy is as good as it gets at this level," Goff told Peter King of The Monday Morning Quarterback. "I think my pocket presence and my ability to extend plays speak for themselves. I'm confident I'll be the best quarterback in the draft."
King asked Goff about the specter of going to Cleveland, 'where quarterbacks go to die.'
But Goff (6-4, 215), who's already familiar with Browns coach Hue Jackson, the former Cal assistant in 1996, has no qualms about landing in Cleveland.
"I'm not worried about it," he said. "I'm excited about it. Whatever team I go to, I'll be excited to go. I want to be the future of a franchise. I think I can be a guy who can make an impact right away."
Goff's two biggest competitors for the No. 1 quarterback spot are North Dakota State's Carson Wentz and Memphis' Paxton Lynch. The three quarterbacks will be on display at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis beginning next week.
Jackson met with Wentz at the Senior Bowl three weeks ago and was impressed, and he chatted with Paxton Lynch at a Super Bowl party hosted by Lynch's agent, Leigh Steinberg the day before the game.
Jackson was tentatively scheduled to attend a Super Bowl party with Goff hosted by NFL Network's Mike Silver, a Cal alum and a mutual friend of the coach and quarterback. But Jackson got in a day later and wasn't able to catch up with Goff during Super Bowl festivities.
"I have never met Jared, but I'm sure that will happen at some point soon,'' Jackson told cleveland.com at the Super Bowl. "There are some things I've heard and some things that I know. Again, I coached at Cal, so I do know quite a few people that are still there and again the guy's been a sensational player at Cal. But just like all the rest of the guys in this process, we'll evaluate them all and see how it turns out.''
Lynch (6-7, 245), passed Jackson's muster as "the face of a franchise'' during their meeting at the party.
"He's tall,'' Jackson said. "He's a tall young man. He looks like Man Mountain Dean standing up there. But what a nice kid, a personable kid with great parents. He carries himself extremely well, as I expected that he would.''
Like Goff, Lynch isn't hurting for confidence heading into the pre-draft process. During Super Bowl week, he told nj.com that he compares himself to Super Bowl participant Cam Newton.
Goff and Lynch have already said they will throw at the Combine, and Wentz -- who dazzled scouts and coaches during three days of practices at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., will likely do so as well.
"That's the only time you're going to be around all those GMs and coaches," Lynch told 97.5 The Game in San Francisco. "They get to watch you throw head to head against the guys you're being compared to, so that's a good time to compete, in my opinion."
NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently ranked Wentz ahead of Goff and Lynch in his top five rankings at each position on nfl.com, but those rankings sometimes change after the Combine when coaches get their eyes on the prospects. But he still really likes the Cal signal-caller, despite the fact he played in a spread offense, which is sometimes hard to project.
"Jared Goff makes every throw,'' Mayock recently told the The College Draft podcast. "Everybody criticizes the system he's in, but if you really watch enough of his tape, you can find him scanning the field, doing full-field reads, climbing the pocket, making the correct reads and checkdown throws. I really like Jared Goff."
Goff, a junior, threw 43 touchdown passes against only 13 interceptions in 2015. Despite playing in the spread, scouts believe his skills will translate to the NFL.
And in time, he'll find out if the Browns agree he's the best in the draft.
-
So how would you guys want to handle the starting QB situation next year if we took Goff? If you say start McCown, specify until when.
-
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 2: Joey Bosa, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A)
Round 1 Pick 4 (DAL): Jared Goff, QB, California (A+)
Round 5 Pick 2: Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin (D)
Round 6 Pick 1: Josh Forrest, ILB, Kentucky (F)
Round 7 Pick 2: Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple (A)
Your Future Picks:
2018 Round 1 Pick
-
So how would you guys want to handle the starting QB situation next year if we took Goff? If you say start McCown, specify until when.
So how would you guys want to handle the starting QB situation next year if we took Goff? If you say start McCown, specify until when.
Until Goff is ready...
-
Don't know this reviewer, but notes are very similar to mine... so clearly the guy is good...
He has illustrative videos embedded in his write up.================================================================================
http://nflbreakdowns.com/jared-goff-qb-cal-nfldraft2016/
Scouting Report
•Amazing footwork in the pocket. Keeps feet moving alternating his steps to give himself the ability to set quickly and throw.
•Good mechanics on his throws. Smooth throwing motion with a quick release.
•Shows a great ability to maneuever himself in the pocket. Steps into his throws and shows a good feel for the pocket. Knows when to scramble, but tends to stay in the pocket when under pressure.
•Good velocity on his throws. Has the arm strength to fit passes into tight windows, but does not display this ability on film often. Tends to rely more on touch and ball placement to complete his passes.
•Tends to avoid tight windows and instead goes for the open route on quick passes.
•Has great accuracy on short and intermediate throws and places the ball extremely well on deep passes.
•Good athlete when scrambling. Has the speed and agility to make defenders miss and rack up yards on the run.
•Slight frame at only 215 pounds, but has never missed a start due to injury in his 3 year career at Cal behind a weak offensive line.
•Does not line up under center. Typically takes 3 step drop backs, occasionally does 5 steps, and no 7 step drops. Will need to relearn how to drop back from under center in the NFL.
•Does not have a lot of experience going through a progression. Makes mostly single read plays, does not freeze the safeties very often, and does not look off defenders.
•When he does go through a progression he shows a good internal clock and is very good at quickly moving between his reads. Should quickly adjust to the speed of the NFL.
•Was a team captain as a sophomore.
-
So how would you guys want to handle the starting QB situation next year if we took Goff? If you say start McCown, specify until when.
Until Goff is ready...
-
To quarterback controversyville.
-
lol...
I feel like Goff would take the job at some point in his rookie season. But I cannot say when.
Could he be ready Week 1? Yes... I think Goff is the most NFL ready QB in the 2016 draft so I think that is possible he could be ready Week 1. However, possible is not the same as probable or likely. And because thanks to McCown our new QB's debut does not have to be Week 1, I would err towards conservatism.
At least let me see a schedule, if not some pre-season work.
-
Kid believes in himself...
I did not know Hue had Cal roots so he'll get the inside "story".
===========================================================================================
Jared Goff excited about Browns possibly drafting him at No. 2; confident he's 'best QB in draft'
By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com on February 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM, updated February 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_excited_about_brown.html
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cal quarterback Jared Goff, who's on the Browns' radar with their No. 2 pick in the draft, said recently he's the top quarterback of the 2016 class and that he'd be thrilled to land in Cleveland.
"I think my accuracy is as good as it gets at this level," Goff told Peter King of The Monday Morning Quarterback. "I think my pocket presence and my ability to extend plays speak for themselves. I'm confident I'll be the best quarterback in the draft."
King asked Goff about the specter of going to Cleveland, 'where quarterbacks go to die.'
But Goff (6-4, 215), who's already familiar with Browns coach Hue Jackson, the former Cal assistant in 1996, has no qualms about landing in Cleveland.
"I'm not worried about it," he said. "I'm excited about it. Whatever team I go to, I'll be excited to go. I want to be the future of a franchise. I think I can be a guy who can make an impact right away."
Goff's two biggest competitors for the No. 1 quarterback spot are North Dakota State's Carson Wentz and Memphis' Paxton Lynch. The three quarterbacks will be on display at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis beginning next week.
Jackson met with Wentz at the Senior Bowl three weeks ago and was impressed, and he chatted with Paxton Lynch at a Super Bowl party hosted by Lynch's agent, Leigh Steinberg the day before the game.
Jackson was tentatively scheduled to attend a Super Bowl party with Goff hosted by NFL Network's Mike Silver, a Cal alum and a mutual friend of the coach and quarterback. But Jackson got in a day later and wasn't able to catch up with Goff during Super Bowl festivities.
"I have never met Jared, but I'm sure that will happen at some point soon,'' Jackson told cleveland.com at the Super Bowl. "There are some things I've heard and some things that I know. Again, I coached at Cal, so I do know quite a few people that are still there and again the guy's been a sensational player at Cal. But just like all the rest of the guys in this process, we'll evaluate them all and see how it turns out.''
Lynch (6-7, 245), passed Jackson's muster as "the face of a franchise'' during their meeting at the party.
"He's tall,'' Jackson said. "He's a tall young man. He looks like Man Mountain Dean standing up there. But what a nice kid, a personable kid with great parents. He carries himself extremely well, as I expected that he would.''
Like Goff, Lynch isn't hurting for confidence heading into the pre-draft process. During Super Bowl week, he told nj.com that he compares himself to Super Bowl participant Cam Newton.
Goff and Lynch have already said they will throw at the Combine, and Wentz -- who dazzled scouts and coaches during three days of practices at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., will likely do so as well.
"That's the only time you're going to be around all those GMs and coaches," Lynch told 97.5 The Game in San Francisco. "They get to watch you throw head to head against the guys you're being compared to, so that's a good time to compete, in my opinion."
NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently ranked Wentz ahead of Goff and Lynch in his top five rankings at each position on nfl.com, but those rankings sometimes change after the Combine when coaches get their eyes on the prospects. But he still really likes the Cal signal-caller, despite the fact he played in a spread offense, which is sometimes hard to project.
"Jared Goff makes every throw,'' Mayock recently told the The College Draft podcast. "Everybody criticizes the system he's in, but if you really watch enough of his tape, you can find him scanning the field, doing full-field reads, climbing the pocket, making the correct reads and checkdown throws. I really like Jared Goff."
Goff, a junior, threw 43 touchdown passes against only 13 interceptions in 2015. Despite playing in the spread, scouts believe his skills will translate to the NFL.
And in time, he'll find out if the Browns agree he's the best in the draft.
=======================================================================================
Jared Goff excited about Browns possibly drafting him at No. 2; confident he's 'best QB in draft'
By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com on February 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM, updated February 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_excited_about_brown.html
King asked Goff about the specter of going to Cleveland, 'where quarterbacks go to die.'
But Goff (6-4, 215), who's already familiar with Browns coach Hue Jackson, the former Cal assistant in 1996, has no qualms about landing in Cleveland.
Jackson met with Wentz at the Senior Bowl three weeks ago and was impressed, and he chatted with Paxton Lynch at a Super Bowl party hosted by Lynch's agent, Leigh Steinberg the day before the game.
Jackson was tentatively scheduled to attend a Super Bowl party with Goff hosted by NFL Network's Mike Silver, a Cal alum and a mutual friend of the coach and quarterback. But Jackson got in a day later and wasn't able to catch up with Goff during Super Bowl festivities.
"I have never met Jared, but I'm sure that will happen at some point soon,'' Jackson told cleveland.com at the Super Bowl. "There are some things I've heard and some things that I know. Again, I coached at Cal, so I do know quite a few people that are still there and again the guy's been a sensational player at Cal. But just like all the rest of the guys in this process, we'll evaluate them all and see how it turns out.''
Lynch (6-7, 245), passed Jackson's muster as "the face of a franchise'' during their meeting at the party.
"He's tall,'' Jackson said. "He's a tall young man. He looks like Man Mountain Dean standing up there. But what a nice kid, a personable kid with great parents. He carries himself extremely well, as I expected that he would.''
Damn Hue, If we learned one thing from JM. Make sure you make it to the Right Party
!! God Please keep MKC away from any damn QB we draft.. MKC-"Hue why did you not show at Goff's SB Party" Hue-"Whether Delay". You know it's coming.. 
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login