Camp Goff
-
-
Literally every scouting report, from Joe Schmo to Bucky Brooks to Mike Mayock, says something along the lines of "day one starter, no. Future franchise QB, likely". Have we as Browns fans become so starved for a QB that we're willing to overlook a guy who checks EVERY SINGLE BOX WEVE BEEN ASKING FOR OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS just because he's not a day one starter?
If so, that's just unfathomable to me.
Not every single box... As you yourself said, "Goff throws with anticipation. It's his greatest asset." Are you now saying Wentz checks that box??? the big boy box???
For me there is simply not enough difference in their ceilings to justify risking the difference between their floors. And when I say that, I do not concede that Wentz's ceiling is higher.
"Likely franchise" QB? I see franchise grade as a lock with Goff... that's his floor.
As for the whole "perfection" bit... that was with a nod and a wink... but it never hurts to be closer to it...

Not every single box... As you yourself said, "Goff throws with anticipation. It's his greatest asset." Are you now saying Wentz checks that box??? the big boy box???
For me there is simply not enough difference in their ceilings to justify risking the difference between their floors. And when I say that, I do not concede that Wentz's ceiling is higher.
"Likely franchise" QB? I see franchise grade as a lock with Goff... that's his floor.
As for the whole "perfection" bit... that was with a nod and a wink... but it never hurts to be closer to it...

Right. However, anticipation comes with trust and trust comes with time. Wentz can very easily learn to throw with anticipation as he progresses...I anticipate that he will.
I look at it the Dave Gettleman (formerly Bill Polian) way - I'm not drafting you for who you are now. I'm drafting you for who you are two years from now.
So in two years you've got a 6'6", 245 lb. athletic QB with a very live arm who throws with anticipation and is a legitimate threat in every zone of the game, including running...and you've got a 6'4" 220 lb. technician who has an above average, not great, arm and above average, not great, athleticism who throws with anticipation and is a legitimate threat through the air, not so much on the ground. In two years you have a Ben Roethlisberger and a Matt Ryan.
It's really six of one, half dozen of the other.
Browns fans are so wary of taking a traits guy because of the likes of Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel that they are basically looking a gift horse in the mouth here. Either way, we're likely getting a good QB, better than anything we've seen in 20 years in Cleveland. It's a matter of preference of the style of QB you'd like plus what you want the game plan to be for the next two years.
-
-
something something something dark side
Glad someone else is on the same page once in a while.
-
How about hand size.....cause yesterday Hue stressed that it's really important in the cold weather.....then today, Goffs hands measured "too small"....
-
How about hand size.....cause yesterday Hue stressed that it's really important in the cold weather.....then today, Goffs hands measured "too small"....
How about hand size.....cause yesterday Hue stressed that it's really important in the cold weather.....then today, Goffs hands measured "too small"....
And yet Hue won't even talk to his diminutive QB with the 10" hands.
-
6'4, 215, 9" hands were his official measurements I believe.
Derek Carr and Bilgewater had 9" hands, Manziel closer to 10".
He'll be fine - as soon as Hue meets him he'll be sold.
-
How about hand size.....cause yesterday Hue stressed that it's really important in the cold weather.....then today, Goffs hands measured "too small"....
And yet Hue won't even talk to his diminutive QB with the 10" hands.
And yet Hue won't even talk to his diminutive QB with the 10" hands.

Word is....He doesnt return calls....

-
And yet Hue won't even talk to his diminutive QB with the 10" hands.

Word is....He doesnt return calls....

-
E.J. Manuel, 10 3/8 in. Tim Tebow, 10 1/8 in. Mark Sanchez, 10 1/2. Christian Ponder, 10 1/4.
-
E.J. Manuel, 10 3/8 in. Tim Tebow, 10 1/8 in. Mark Sanchez, 10 1/2. Christian Ponder, 10 1/4.
E.J. Manuel, 10 3/8 in. Tim Tebow, 10 1/8 in. Mark Sanchez, 10 1/2. Christian Ponder, 10 1/4.
I dont think anyone is implying having big hands makes you good....I think it's more that small hands count against you.....how much?....who knows.....
Just reporting what Hue said yesterday....
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/hue_jackson_downplays_analytic.html
-
And yet Hue won't even talk to his diminutive QB with the 10" hands.

Word is....He doesnt return calls....

-
I think the "athleticism gap" is over estimated (and the Combine numbers will show it) and Wentz's resume is simply too thin...
Plus have I mentioned recently that I don't like running QBs?
No bridging this gap, TC, but as usual, it was interesting trying....
I think the "athleticism gap" is over estimated (and the Combine numbers will show it) and Wentz's resume is simply too thin...
Plus have I mentioned recently that I don't like running QBs?
No bridging this gap, TC, but as usual, it was interesting trying....
That's your prerogative.
It's also a misnomer calling Wentz a running QB - he's just simply a more talented athlete.
You'll eventually come around after we take Wentz.
-
E.J. Manuel, 10 3/8 in. Tim Tebow, 10 1/8 in. Mark Sanchez, 10 1/2. Christian Ponder, 10 1/4.
E.J. Manuel, 10 3/8 in. Tim Tebow, 10 1/8 in. Mark Sanchez, 10 1/2. Christian Ponder, 10 1/4.
Good list.
Find one of QB's who have experienced success with hands smaller than 9 1/4". That's probably more apt.
-
E.J. Manuel, 10 3/8 in. Tim Tebow, 10 1/8 in. Mark Sanchez, 10 1/2. Christian Ponder, 10 1/4.
Good list.
Find one of QB's who have experienced success with hands smaller than 9 1/4". That's probably more apt.
I know Romo only has 9", Vick is 8.5, Kaep was 9 1/8.Good list.
Find one of QB's who have experienced success with hands smaller than 9 1/4". That's probably more apt.
-
Tannehill 9", Bridgewater 9 1/4"
-
I know Romo only has 9", Vick is 8.5, Kaep was 9 1/8.Good list.
Find one of QB's who have experienced success with hands smaller than 9 1/4". That's probably more apt.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login