Skip to content

Benjamin 'close' to signing a new contract

The Browns Board
56 17 1.4k
  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I agree whole heartedly! Why would you draft a small quarterback and not draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin type receiver? And drafting Vincent Mayle was really really stupid! I believe they drafted Erving for the day Alex Mack decides to leave. Justin Gilbert was Pettine's "Boy". Maybe Gilbert will change with a new coach?

    Thanks Ray, you stubborn horses ass!

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Yet somehow Russell Wilson makes due with a set of WRs that are 5'10, 6'1, 5'10, 6'0 and 6'1... Why is that?

    And one the shortest was his best...

  • Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by Mike H
    #11

    The whole "only good because he's tossing it up to big Mike Evans" narrative is pretty played out. It was never true.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

    Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

  • Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

    Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tour2ma said:

    Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

    I liked him but I didn't think he'd be as good as soon as he has been. Oh well

  • Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @tour2ma said:

    Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

    I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

    I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @wargograw said:

    I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

    Does that include the one that threw to him in Texas?

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #17

    It did, but obviously it no longer does.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Mike Evans certainly pushes off more than most, but if they don't call it...LOL. Evans also has more infuriating drops than just about anybody on the planet. Still, he's a viable threat, and will probably only get more dangerous. You know who else pushes off? Kelvin Benjamin for the Panthers. I know he was hurt this season (geez...think about the Panthers with HIM healthy), but in his early years, he had about 5 touchdowns called back in college for pushing off, LOL. However, he learned how to do it "legally" and he blossomed. What do Evans and Kelvin have in common? SIZE, SIZE, and more SIZE.

  • It did, but obviously it no longer does.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @wargograw said:

    It did, but obviously it no longer does.

    I just wanted to make a joke about JFF being a massive tool.

  • @wargograw said:

    It did, but obviously it no longer does.

    I just wanted to make a joke about JFF being a massive tool.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gftchris said:

    I just wanted to make a joke about JFF being a massive tool.

    Ha! I didn't get it, my bad.

  • Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

    Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @roycerolls said:

    Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

    Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

    Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

    WR 2014 7 29 244 Jeremy Gallon Michigan
    2013 2 27 59 Aaron Dobson Marshall
    2013 4 5 102 Josh Boyce Texas Christian
    2012 7 28 235 Jeremy Ebert Northwestern
    2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio
    2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina
    2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA
    2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida
    2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State
    2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M
    2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville
    2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame
    1995 5 13 147 Mike Miller Notre Dame
    1995 7 23 231 A.C. Tellison Miami (FL)
    1994 1 29 29 Derrick Alexander Michigan
    1992 2 24 52 Patrick Rowe San Diego State
    1992 6 3 143 Rico Smith Colorado
    1992 11 9 289 Augustin Olobia Washington State
    1991 6 2 141 Michael Jackson Southern Mississippi
    1991 9 16 239 Shawn Wiggins Wyoming
  • Mike Evans certainly pushes off more than most, but if they don't call it...LOL. Evans also has more infuriating drops than just about anybody on the planet. Still, he's a viable threat, and will probably only get more dangerous. You know who else pushes off? Kelvin Benjamin for the Panthers. I know he was hurt this season (geez...think about the Panthers with HIM healthy), but in his early years, he had about 5 touchdowns called back in college for pushing off, LOL. However, he learned how to do it "legally" and he blossomed. What do Evans and Kelvin have in common? SIZE, SIZE, and more SIZE.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #22

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Mike Evans certainly pushes off more than most, but if they don't call it...LOL. Evans also has more infuriating drops than just about anybody on the planet. Still, he's a viable threat, and will probably only get more dangerous. You know who else pushes off? Kelvin Benjamin for the Panthers. I know he was hurt this season (geez...think about the Panthers with HIM healthy), but in his early years, he had about 5 touchdowns called back in college for pushing off, LOL. However, he learned how to do it "legally" and he blossomed. What do Evans and Kelvin have in common? SIZE, SIZE, and more SIZE.

    Did anyone miss Gronks pushoff in the back of the endzone when he scored over the smaller DB? They never really showed it later in the highlights of the Denver loss, just the ending TD catch. He gets away with it more than any other NFL player. Here was the best they would actually show.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #23

    I think pushing off is pretty much a skill that most good receivers develop....and then, the better they are, the more "breaks" they are given......see Antonio Brown for details

  • @tour2ma said:

    Agree...

    Also true? Mike Evans is more than just a tall WR who pushes off everytime... which is how I think I mistakenly characterized him prior to his draft.

    I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Agree... offensive PI is undercalled, but I'd rather the refs call Defensive less than try to equalize offensive by throwing even more flags.

    @wargograw said:

    I wouldn't have argued with that. Refs around here let both sides get away with murder on the boundaries. That said, Evans has some tremendous tools.

    Poorly worded by me... Yes, Evans still pushes off a lot, but since he's been a pro I've seen adjustments and body control I never saw at A&M.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #25

    mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

    maybe?

  • mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

    maybe?

    Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @miktoxic said:

    mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

    maybe?

    You were right on Evans, for sure.

    I still wish they had taken Allen Robinson in that draft.

  • @roycerolls said:

    Manziel was good in college because he was in college. Receivers are the most overrated players on the field. The Panthers will probably win the Super Bowl and no one seems to care that their best wide receiver is Ted Ginn Jr. Almost every year the champions win with QB play and defense. We have neither and we still have people complaining about receivers? Do you people pay attention to what happens in the NFL or do you just watch your diabetic neighbor play madden?

    Remember that one time Bellicheck drafted a receiver in the first round? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

    Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

    WR 2014 7 29 244 Jeremy Gallon Michigan
    2013 2 27 59 Aaron Dobson Marshall
    2013 4 5 102 Josh Boyce Texas Christian
    2012 7 28 235 Jeremy Ebert Northwestern
    2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio
    2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina
    2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA
    2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida
    2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State
    2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M
    2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville
    2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame
    1995 5 13 147 Mike Miller Notre Dame
    1995 7 23 231 A.C. Tellison Miami (FL)
    1994 1 29 29 Derrick Alexander Michigan
    1992 2 24 52 Patrick Rowe San Diego State
    1992 6 3 143 Rico Smith Colorado
    1992 11 9 289 Augustin Olobia Washington State
    1991 6 2 141 Michael Jackson Southern Mississippi
    1991 9 16 239 Shawn Wiggins Wyoming
    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Zombo said:

    Good post. And, I agree. But technically, there was Derrick Alexander

    WR 2014 7 29 244 Jeremy Gallon Michigan

    2013 2 27 59 Aaron Dobson Marshall

    2013 4 5 102 Josh Boyce Texas Christian

    2012 7 28 235 Jeremy Ebert Northwestern

    2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio

    2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina

    2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA

    2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida

    2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State

    2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M

    2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville

    2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame

    1995 5 13 147 Mike Miller Notre Dame

    1995 7 23 231 A.C. Tellison Miami (FL)

    1994 1 29 29 Derrick Alexander Michigan

    1992 2 24 52 Patrick Rowe San Diego State

    1992 6 3 143 Rico Smith Colorado

    1992 11 9 289 Augustin Olobia Washington State

    1991 6 2 141 Michael Jackson Southern Mississippi

    1991 9 16 239 Shawn Wiggins Wyoming

    You're right, I meant patriot era Belichick, after he had learned how to win.

  • mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

    maybe?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @miktoxic said:

    mike evans was my fave receiver in that draft. push off or not, the browns have no one a qb can throw the ball 6 ft. over their had and come down with it in the end zone while little flea cbs bounce up and off him like the fleas they are (compared to him). gronk? mark bavarro? ozzie? can we find someone bigger that a beetle to grab a ball over their heads and then steam roll people into the end zone?

    maybe?

    Barnidge.....and Terrelle Pryor if he sticks and performs.

    Gordon, if he returns.....and yes, I am in favor of drafting a big WR. Mayle was supposed to be there as well. How could they have missed so badly on him?