Skip to content

2016 O-Line Draft: Offensive Tackles

The Browns Board
83 17 2.9k
  • Just for Tour. Texas A&M just added a legacy OT to the signing class of 2018, Luke Matthews son of HOFer Bruce and brother of likely 3 NFL players after Mike goes in this draft. They all say he is the best of the bunch @ 6'4" 320 lbs.

    "I just called coach Sumlin and committed," the youngest Matthews said on Tuesday. "I just knew it was where I wanted to go. I also liked that they hired coach (Jim) Turner to coach the o-line. He coached my brother and he's a good coach."

  • And USC goes 0fer.

  • I would have thought Bruce would want his best "work" to go to a school with a proven track record of developing OL...

  • I would have thought Bruce would want his best "work" to go to a school with a proven track record of developing OL...

    @tour2ma said:

    I would have thought Bruce would want his best "work" to go to a school with a proven track record of developing OL...

    That is the guy who was Sherman's OL coach with his son Jake that Sumlin inherited along with 3 other OL NLF draft choices that Jim Turner had recruited. Turner went to Miami with Sherman and was involved in the "Incognito Affair". He also offered Luke when he saw him play at 12 years old, when he was coaching older brother Jake and recruiting Mike.

  • I know, but he simply gets TAMU back to where it was. It's never been known as a top-notch OL school as far as I know. Certainly not in a league with some Big 10 schools.

    I do understand that past is past, but still...

  • There's no "OL development juice" in the water at Wisconsin or Iowa. It's about who the coach is. Sherman and Turner--that's a no brainer. As compared to Lane Kiffin or some brand new HC at USC? Also, no brainer.

    Also, three straight first round OLs and we're not a top notch OL school?

  • Right, I missed this because he's not on your list Tour, but he's apparently mayock's #5 tackle. The guy's name is 'Willie Beavers' - not even a joke. This is funnier when you remember 'willie' or 'willy' or british slang for a gentleman sausage. His name is literally cock pussies.

  • Right, I missed this because he's not on your list Tour, but he's apparently mayock's #5 tackle. The guy's name is 'Willie Beavers' - not even a joke. This is funnier when you remember 'willie' or 'willy' or british slang for a gentleman sausage. His name is literally cock pussies.

    @gftchris said:

    Right, I missed this because he's not on your list Tour, but he's apparently mayock's #5 tackle. The guy's name is 'Willie Beavers' - not even a joke. This is funnier when you remember 'willie' or 'willy' or british slang for a gentleman sausage. His name is literally cock pussies.

    Is his middle name starfish?

  • Playing catch up as March slips away. Here are a few "Quick Takes"...

    I was intrigued by Clark's measurables... make that "once was", cause I ain't no more. The OT I saw vs. Baylor and OkSU belied his 5.18 Combine 40. This kid's a heavy-footed reacher with all the balance issues that combo could be expected to generate. Appears to be nowhere near strong enough to move inside.
    Struggled to watch him vs. UK. No burst... no tech... no feet... no speed...
    Pushed on and made myself queue up his Missou game... flashed some tech on first play (fledgling kick followed by decent chop steps). I never saw anything that good again. As if it was there it was covered by an avalanche of waist-bending, wrong-footed, beat-by-spin-move suck.
    After two disappoinmets in a row, Theus was a pleasant surprise. Well shy of a sleeper or hidden gem, he is nonetheless a decent prospect. His feet are his best attribute; his hands his worst. Not sure there's any "fire" or nasty there. Poor anticipation of 2nd level blocks. BAMA game notes confirmed by Florida game.
    And finally for now, Chris' fav...
    Surprise... there's something here. In his MSU game he struggled some in space, but did not embarrass himself. Projects better inside at Pro level. First thing you notice is he moves well. In PassPro he flashes tech. Hands are active. Kid brings an energy to his play and is easily worth a Day 3 pick.


  • Sometimes the other guy might be the guy? May not exactly be the case here, but opposite his more publicized, LT counterpart (you have to look at Coleman tape to see Young), Avery looks pretty good.


    While I like Coleman better, taking Young at least one day later may be the better value. The experience of watching Young at RT opposite Coleman at LT was reminiscent of seeing Schwartz opposite Joe in that you know one is better, but the other is nearly as effective.


    Young showed a good chop in PassPro with generally good feet in all aspects of his game. He used his hands well in run blocking keeping them inside... not so much in PassPro. Bad habit of dipping his head at impact in either run or pass blocking which he pays for at times.


    Lined up opposite Nkemdiche in one short yardage situation and got stuffed...

  • Except I think Young is going to be only an OG in the pros.

    Probably a terrific OG. I don't see him staying at tackle.

    But character, work ethic, and love for the game has to be there.

  • Possible, cal, but I did not see the strength to succeed inside. On the other hand I did see feet good enough to function outside.

  • True, but like Cam Irving, you can gain strength. Looking at Young's 40 times...

    at left or right tackle...

    do you think they come into play much at all? 5.2...5.4... does it matter?

    Or is it pretty much unrelated to the player's ability to slide out in pass protection?

    Inquiring, don't-know mind wants to know.

  • lol... First, let me point out that Cam hasn't shown any strength gain as yet...

    I don't ignore 40 times, but other measures are more predictive IMO, e.g., the 10-yd split, 20-yd shuttle and 3-cone.

    But predictive drills only go so far. There is a "look" that better OT candidates share... a fluidity of movement to compliment their technique. Beavers' fluidity grabbed me the very first play I saw.

    A lot of the OT vs. interior slot decision is height and arm length driven as well. Nothing wrong with an OG that moves well enough to play OT, but lacks length.

  • You have Clark listed as an LSU guy, Tour. He went to Tech, which I know you know because you cited some of his games. Just letting you know.

  • Thanks... fixed...

  • Great stuff as usual T. Have you had a look at our new RT,LT,LG Alvin Bailey? Seems like your still digging? (never a bad idea though)

  • Great stuff as usual T. Have you had a look at our new RT,LT,LG Alvin Bailey? Seems like your still digging? (never a bad idea though)

    @gumby73 said:

    Great stuff as usual T. Have you had a look at our new RT,LT,LG Alvin Bailey? Seems like your still digging? (never a bad idea though)

    Thanks... as usual I can't claim "great", but it is definitely "stuff"...

    Haven't checked out Bailey. Is there a site that cuts down NFL game tape?

  • @gumby73 said:

    Great stuff as usual T. Have you had a look at our new RT,LT,LG Alvin Bailey? Seems like your still digging? (never a bad idea though)

    Thanks... as usual I can't claim "great", but it is definitely "stuff"...

    Haven't checked out Bailey. Is there a site that cuts down NFL game tape?

    @tour2ma said:

    Haven't checked out Bailey. Is there a site that cuts down NFL game tape?

    I have googled to many thats not worth nothing, but youtube. Theirs another idea business, you up to it yet 😉

  • J. Kyle Murphy (Stanford) 6'6 305 http://www.nfldrafts...=2016&genpos=OT

    Against NW: no kick... no technique... waist bender who got ripped alot... moves well and gets to 2nd level, but cannot track/sustain blocks... slow to no reaction to stunts. Estimate about a -10 grade for the first half.

    Against UCLA; Kicking pretty well.... Had help almost entire 1st Qtr, run and pass. Opposite was content to lay on him... no challenge. Q2 went solo and fared well.... Did meet Clark 1-on-1 once on a run and got mauled.

    Against Cal: Same as UCLA, better tech, but not challenged by his opposite. Feet looked better. Really burrowed and drove in a couple short-yardage situations between two OL in unbalanced look.

    Bottom line: NW was 1st game of season so maybe KM improved, but maybe his NW opposite was a better player than UCLA or Cal had to offer. Hard to know, but can't see him as a late 3rd/early 4th cusp OT where DraftScout projects him. Would take Avery Young a round later.