Skip to content

Rams cut Laurinaitis and Long.....i'd take em in a heartbeat.

The Browns Board
66 18 2.0k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Point taken and agree that Tunsil is the clear "Best in Show" for 2016... (Yes, I watched Westminster with the wife....)

    HA!!!!

    and i thought i was the only one. it's a tradition now. she buys the mezcal, she gives the dog a pinch or 2 of her medicinal ___ and we all get to bark at the tv while judges measure dog dicks and assholes and then little poofs run around with them in a circle. GREAT!!

    god i hope our FO is as good as finding talent as those uppity upper east side snob cunts that decide to give best in show to a labradoodle over a siberian huskie.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @miktoxic said:

    HA!!!!

    and i thought i was the only one. it's a tradition now. she buys the mezcal, she gives the dog a pinch or 2 of her medicinal ___ and we all get to bark at the tv while judges measure dog dicks and assholes and then little poofs run around with them in a circle. GREAT!!

    god i hope our FO is as good as finding talent as those uppity upper east side snob cunts that decide to give best in show to a labradoodle over a siberian huskie.

    LOL! Most of those little yappy dogs qualify for my "moving" target range a.k.a 9mm catch me if you can.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Thanks, bud. Busy and only getting worse now that the weather is breaking. I'm trying to watch more of Spence today.

    As for Joey - if the front office (and Tour) are rather adamant that Goff is our guy, then its a moot point. Would I be upset with Bosa as our #2 pick? No. Part of me is bias, though I do my best to fight it and stay level headed. The other part of me recognizes talent when I see it. Especially for a team that's had trouble in recent years with lineman stacking, shedding, tackling and holding their perimeter assignments; Joey would be an immediate upgrade right there alone. I wouldn't have an issue with us taking him.

    Out of curiosity, what's his best fit in the Browns' scheme? 5 technique or at OLB?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @andeftw said:

    Out of curiosity, what's his best fit in the Browns' scheme? 5 technique or at OLB?

    3-5 without question.

  • @mudfly said:

    As not good as he's been(and over paid), he has been our best DL for a few years now.....sad to say.....and in fairness, he was undrafted, so the comparison to Keisel(7th) is a fair one....

    All true - thanks Mud! But, if Bosa came here hoping for a best case scenario of performing like Brett Keisel from a 5 tech after the learning curve - have we landed our dream at #2 overall? Ohio State homers say yes - I say no. And I love Ohio State. I'm just keeping it real from all the over-hype setting Bosa up to be the next Big Daddy Wilkinson. The length of Wilkinson's career said reliable football player. The draft slot thrusting him into unrealistic expectations said he was a bad draft choice at the priority/investment level made.

    I fully understand we need front 7 and offensive help but the last time we won a playoff game in Cleveland in the 90s - we had 1 undrafted tackle named Tony (T-Bone) Jones who was easily our best lineman, a first round Center (Everitt), a converted defensive Linemen OG Bob Dahl), a 5th round tackle Gene Williams and a 33 year old Doug Dawson that the Cardinals drafted in round 2 about 11 years prior. Our teams from 86-90, didn't have any first round guys starting on the offensive line (unless we want to count TE Ozzie Newsome - who played WR at Alabama). Cody Risien was a 2 time Pro Bowl performer at OT and he was a 7th round draft pick. Paul Farren was a 12th round pick that started at 4 different positions. We also got Dan Fike from the USFL. Earlier in the 80s, the one former 1st round guy came over from the Buffalo Bills (Joe D). In 86, we had the #1 defense against the run without any first round draft picks starting on the d-line: Sam Clancy, Bob Golic (sub was David Puzzuoli), Reggie Camp. We had a couple 1st round backers from USC (Clay Matthews and Chip Banks) from round 1 while the USFL helped to load us up with ILB Mike Johnson and CB Frank Minnifield.

    Why all that? Because when you have a good front office - you don't always have to lean so heavily on round 1 for Oline and Defensive Line. For example, there had to have been better offensive linemen than Erving after round 1 but we had a Jeff Foxworthy punchline in charge so we reached. We had 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks plus Greco coming off his best season heading into 2015; and we looked way too limited where we could run the football and who we could do that against perpetuating predictable passing situations. Pass pro wasn't bad considering IMO. I'm just excited our front office now has people on speaking terms, 2 former Harvard intellects (that also played DI football) plus a willingness to work w/ a HC that not only carried Dalton to playoffs in Cincy a few times but was in the process of tapping the best football I had ever seen from Dalton.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @flugel said:

    All true - thanks Mud! But, if Bosa came here hoping for a best case scenario of performing like Brett Keisel from a 5 tech after the learning curve - have we landed our dream at #2 overall? Ohio State homers say yes - I say no. And I love Ohio State. I'm just keeping it real from all the over-hype setting Bosa up to be the next Big Daddy Wilkinson. The length of Wilkinson's career said reliable football player. The draft slot thrusting him into unrealistic expectations said he was a bad draft choice at the priority/investment level made.

    Im with you 100% Fluges.......I love Ohio State too, but am not on the Bosa band wagon for the Browns at #2.....

  • @mudfly said:

    As not good as he's been(and over paid), he has been our best DL for a few years now.....sad to say.....and in fairness, he was undrafted, so the comparison to Keisel(7th) is a fair one....

    All true - thanks Mud! But, if Bosa came here hoping for a best case scenario of performing like Brett Keisel from a 5 tech after the learning curve - have we landed our dream at #2 overall? Ohio State homers say yes - I say no. And I love Ohio State. I'm just keeping it real from all the over-hype setting Bosa up to be the next Big Daddy Wilkinson. The length of Wilkinson's career said reliable football player. The draft slot thrusting him into unrealistic expectations said he was a bad draft choice at the priority/investment level made.

    I fully understand we need front 7 and offensive help but the last time we won a playoff game in Cleveland in the 90s - we had 1 undrafted tackle named Tony (T-Bone) Jones who was easily our best lineman, a first round Center (Everitt), a converted defensive Linemen OG Bob Dahl), a 5th round tackle Gene Williams and a 33 year old Doug Dawson that the Cardinals drafted in round 2 about 11 years prior. Our teams from 86-90, didn't have any first round guys starting on the offensive line (unless we want to count TE Ozzie Newsome - who played WR at Alabama). Cody Risien was a 2 time Pro Bowl performer at OT and he was a 7th round draft pick. Paul Farren was a 12th round pick that started at 4 different positions. We also got Dan Fike from the USFL. Earlier in the 80s, the one former 1st round guy came over from the Buffalo Bills (Joe D). In 86, we had the #1 defense against the run without any first round draft picks starting on the d-line: Sam Clancy, Bob Golic (sub was David Puzzuoli), Reggie Camp. We had a couple 1st round backers from USC (Clay Matthews and Chip Banks) from round 1 while the USFL helped to load us up with ILB Mike Johnson and CB Frank Minnifield.

    Why all that? Because when you have a good front office - you don't always have to lean so heavily on round 1 for Oline and Defensive Line. For example, there had to have been better offensive linemen than Erving after round 1 but we had a Jeff Foxworthy punchline in charge so we reached. We had 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks plus Greco coming off his best season heading into 2015; and we looked way too limited where we could run the football and who we could do that against perpetuating predictable passing situations. Pass pro wasn't bad considering IMO. I'm just excited our front office now has people on speaking terms, 2 former Harvard intellects (that also played DI football) plus a willingness to work w/ a HC that not only carried Dalton to playoffs in Cincy a few times but was in the process of tapping the best football I had ever seen from Dalton.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #49

    @flugel said:

    All true - thanks Mud! But, if Bosa came here hoping for a best case scenario of performing like Brett Keisel from a 5 tech after the learning curve - have we landed our dream at #2 overall? Ohio State homers say yes - I say no. And I love Ohio State. I'm just keeping it real from all the over-hype setting Bosa up to be the next Big Daddy Wilkinson. The length of Wilkinson's career said reliable football player. The draft slot thrusting him into unrealistic expectations said he was a bad draft choice at the priority/investment level made.

    I fully understand we need front 7 and offensive help but the last time we won a playoff game in Cleveland in the 90s - we had 1 undrafted tackle named Tony (T-Bone) Jones who was easily our best lineman, a first round Center (Everitt), a converted defensive Linemen OG Bob Dahl), a 5th round tackle Gene Williams and a 33 year old Doug Dawson that the Cardinals drafted in round 2 about 11 years prior. Our teams from 86-90, didn't have any first round guys starting on the offensive line (unless we want to count TE Ozzie Newsome - who played WR at Alabama). Cody Risien was a 2 time Pro Bowl performer at OT and he was a 7th round draft pick. Paul Farren was a 12th round pick that started at 4 different positions. We also got Dan Fike from the USFL. Earlier in the 80s, the one former 1st round guy came over from the Buffalo Bills (Joe D). In 86, we had the #1 defense against the run without any first round draft picks starting on the d-line: Sam Clancy, Bob Golic (sub was David Puzzuoli), Reggie Camp. We had a couple 1st round backers from USC (Clay Matthews and Chip Banks) from round 1 while the USFL helped to load us up with ILB Mike Johnson and CB Frank Minnifield.

    Why all that? Because when you have a good front office - you don't always have to lean so heavily on round 1 for Oline and Defensive Line. For example, there had to have been better offensive linemen than Erving after round 1 but we had a Jeff Foxworthy punchline in charge so we reached. We had 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks plus Greco coming off his best season heading into 2015; and we looked way too limited where we could run the football and who we could do that against perpetuating predictable passing situations. Pass pro wasn't bad considering IMO. I'm just excited our front office now has people on speaking terms, 2 former Harvard intellects (that also played DI football) plus a willingness to work w/ a HC that not only carried Dalton to playoffs in Cincy a few times but was in the process of tapping the best football I had ever seen from Dalton.

    Dang Flugs, Ghoolie may run over and kiss you for that post. He does have a point sometimes those low round offensive linemen turn into Pro Bowl talent on occasion.

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! Most of those little yappy dogs qualify for my "moving" target range a.k.a 9mm catch me if you can.

    Har Ag, it's why I don't have dogs. My wife says I've been bitten (most of the time) by friends dogs more than anyone else she knows. Started back in third grade when one of my lifelong friends (unknown to me that he had one) rescue Springer Spaniel latched onto my arm when I walked into his house, and wouldn't let go. If I had $5 bucks for every time a dog has chased me when I've been out on my bike rides, I could buy myself a custom Lance Armstrong Trek Madone with the money. There's been plenty of times I wish I was packing a 9mm when someone's German Shepherd chased me for around a mile, trying to take my legs off.

    For some reason, dogs just don't like me. I can read my neighbor's Jack Russell's mutt's feeble mind when I look over the fence. "If I was a Rottweiler, I'd kill you."

    EDIT: PS- Sophie did manage to jump the fence once and tried (partial success) to take a chunk out of my thigh. If I didn't like Scott & Jill so much- I would have busted the mutt's neck right then and there..... I have no problems with well trained and well behaved dogs- my pal up in Alaska has a few dogs that I love, but if you live out in the country and have dogs that are "chasers" be it bikes or cars- keep 'em restrained- because sooner or later, they're going to wind up as road kill.

  • @flugel said:

    All true - thanks Mud! But, if Bosa came here hoping for a best case scenario of performing like Brett Keisel from a 5 tech after the learning curve - have we landed our dream at #2 overall? Ohio State homers say yes - I say no. And I love Ohio State. I'm just keeping it real from all the over-hype setting Bosa up to be the next Big Daddy Wilkinson. The length of Wilkinson's career said reliable football player. The draft slot thrusting him into unrealistic expectations said he was a bad draft choice at the priority/investment level made.

    I fully understand we need front 7 and offensive help but the last time we won a playoff game in Cleveland in the 90s - we had 1 undrafted tackle named Tony (T-Bone) Jones who was easily our best lineman, a first round Center (Everitt), a converted defensive Linemen OG Bob Dahl), a 5th round tackle Gene Williams and a 33 year old Doug Dawson that the Cardinals drafted in round 2 about 11 years prior. Our teams from 86-90, didn't have any first round guys starting on the offensive line (unless we want to count TE Ozzie Newsome - who played WR at Alabama). Cody Risien was a 2 time Pro Bowl performer at OT and he was a 7th round draft pick. Paul Farren was a 12th round pick that started at 4 different positions. We also got Dan Fike from the USFL. Earlier in the 80s, the one former 1st round guy came over from the Buffalo Bills (Joe D). In 86, we had the #1 defense against the run without any first round draft picks starting on the d-line: Sam Clancy, Bob Golic (sub was David Puzzuoli), Reggie Camp. We had a couple 1st round backers from USC (Clay Matthews and Chip Banks) from round 1 while the USFL helped to load us up with ILB Mike Johnson and CB Frank Minnifield.

    Why all that? Because when you have a good front office - you don't always have to lean so heavily on round 1 for Oline and Defensive Line. For example, there had to have been better offensive linemen than Erving after round 1 but we had a Jeff Foxworthy punchline in charge so we reached. We had 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks plus Greco coming off his best season heading into 2015; and we looked way too limited where we could run the football and who we could do that against perpetuating predictable passing situations. Pass pro wasn't bad considering IMO. I'm just excited our front office now has people on speaking terms, 2 former Harvard intellects (that also played DI football) plus a willingness to work w/ a HC that not only carried Dalton to playoffs in Cincy a few times but was in the process of tapping the best football I had ever seen from Dalton.

    Dang Flugs, Ghoolie may run over and kiss you for that post. He does have a point sometimes those low round offensive linemen turn into Pro Bowl talent on occasion.

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! Most of those little yappy dogs qualify for my "moving" target range a.k.a 9mm catch me if you can.

    Har Ag, it's why I don't have dogs. My wife says I've been bitten (most of the time) by friends dogs more than anyone else she knows. Started back in third grade when one of my lifelong friends (unknown to me that he had one) rescue Springer Spaniel latched onto my arm when I walked into his house, and wouldn't let go. If I had $5 bucks for every time a dog has chased me when I've been out on my bike rides, I could buy myself a custom Lance Armstrong Trek Madone with the money. There's been plenty of times I wish I was packing a 9mm when someone's German Shepherd chased me for around a mile, trying to take my legs off.

    For some reason, dogs just don't like me. I can read my neighbor's Jack Russell's mutt's feeble mind when I look over the fence. "If I was a Rottweiler, I'd kill you."

    EDIT: PS- Sophie did manage to jump the fence once and tried (partial success) to take a chunk out of my thigh. If I didn't like Scott & Jill so much- I would have busted the mutt's neck right then and there..... I have no problems with well trained and well behaved dogs- my pal up in Alaska has a few dogs that I love, but if you live out in the country and have dogs that are "chasers" be it bikes or cars- keep 'em restrained- because sooner or later, they're going to wind up as road kill.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @hoorta said:

    Har Ag, it's why I don't have dogs. My wife says I've been bitten (most of the time) by friends dogs more than anyone else she knows. Started back in third grade when one of my lifelong friends (unknown to me that he had one) rescue Springer Spaniel latched onto my arm when I walked into his house, and wouldn't let go. If I had $5 bucks for every time a dog has chased me when I've been out on my bike rides, I could buy myself a custom Lance Armstrong Trek Madone with the money. There's been plenty of times I wish I was packing a 9mm when someone's German Shepherd chased me for around a mile, trying to take my legs off.

    For some reason, dogs just don't like me. I can read my neighbor's Jack Russell's mutt's feeble mind when I look over the fence. "If I was a Rottweiler, I'd kill you."

    I have 14 year old Ragdoll cat sisters. They never yap, never bite and follow me everywhere in the house or the fenced back yard. One used to fetch wadded up paper balls for me and drop it at my feet to toss again. Now she takes a swat and just watches it. Too old for that game anymore.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #51

    I was just reading Hoortas post and my dog started growling.....

  • I was just reading Hoortas post and my dog started growling.....

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @mudfly said:

    I was just reading Hoortas post and my dog started growling.....

    LOL! HA! 😆

  • @hoorta said:

    Har Ag, it's why I don't have dogs. My wife says I've been bitten (most of the time) by friends dogs more than anyone else she knows. Started back in third grade when one of my lifelong friends (unknown to me that he had one) rescue Springer Spaniel latched onto my arm when I walked into his house, and wouldn't let go. If I had $5 bucks for every time a dog has chased me when I've been out on my bike rides, I could buy myself a custom Lance Armstrong Trek Madone with the money. There's been plenty of times I wish I was packing a 9mm when someone's German Shepherd chased me for around a mile, trying to take my legs off.

    For some reason, dogs just don't like me. I can read my neighbor's Jack Russell's mutt's feeble mind when I look over the fence. "If I was a Rottweiler, I'd kill you."

    I have 14 year old Ragdoll cat sisters. They never yap, never bite and follow me everywhere in the house or the fenced back yard. One used to fetch wadded up paper balls for me and drop it at my feet to toss again. Now she takes a swat and just watches it. Too old for that game anymore.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @texasag1969 said:

    I have 14 year old Ragdoll cat sisters. They never yap, never bite and follow me everywhere in the house or the fenced back yard. One used to fetch wadded up paper balls for me and drop it at my feet to toss again. Now she takes a swat and just watches it. Too old for that game anymore.

    ^+1.

    We have the Mooch- a 15 year old guy I found @ around 6 weeks old on the bike path. Rode him home in one hand. The cat is a live Teddy Bear- loves to be hugged.

  • Why do we think Bosa is the answer to all our problems? Just curious because good pass rushers are a dime a dozen (compared to say, QBs) and Bosa doesn't fit the mold many think he does.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @bbedward said:

    Why do we think Bosa is the answer to all our problems? Just curious because good pass rushers are a dime a dozen (compared to say, QBs) and Bosa doesn't fit the mold many think he does.

    Because Bosa is not just a pass rusher. He's an "animal" in run defense. His college tape to me looks better than Watt cause he's not just trying to get upfield constantly, but analyzing the play and if it's pass he sheds blockers at will. Even when he's pure pass rush from snap, he cuts the edge so hard...just like Watt does now. He can potentially get to the QB quicker than a lot of premier edge rushers like Miller because he can jack through the outside shoulder of an OT. Do I still want a speed rusher on the opposite side of him? Of course, that way you have one guy taking away the QB's step up and the other guy cleaning it up if the QB spills out high.

    Basically though it's the run stopping. I'm in love with Bosa's run stopping. I want the Browns to build a 4-3 and I think if we draft him Horton will see that the line does better when there's 4 down lineman. Him and Orchard would make great DE's..and Orchard can stand up just fine and Bosa can slide into the 5 tech "easily" We could have a nasty hybrid D that's based off the 4-3. I would rather have that than a base 3-4 where every now and then the edges put their hands in the ground, which is what we've been doing for some years now.

  • @bbedward said:

    Why do we think Bosa is the answer to all our problems? Just curious because good pass rushers are a dime a dozen (compared to say, QBs) and Bosa doesn't fit the mold many think he does.

    Horton's base D is the 34 which means the alleged football messiah would mostly work out of a 5 technique as a 2nd overall pick. Not for nothing, but how much of a difference has Des Bryant made since he got his dream contract to play the 5 technique here. Interestingly enough, some of his biggest plays have come when we've moved him around or up over Center on occasion. Best case scenario, we hope he plays as well as Brett Keisel used to and what round was he available in?

    I don't really care about Bosa's heroics against his crappy competition. I wanted to see this guy dominate Michigan State the way Bama's front line did. If we surveyed Sparty's Offensive line - which 1st round defensive line prospects would they tell us are more overrated - Bosa or Bama's?

    I remembered a promise of hybrid fronts in 2013 but I don't recall seeing a lot of varied fronts or maybe there was but there was just very little reason to remember the difference or impact of such.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @flugel said:

    . I wanted to see this guy dominate Michigan State the way Bama's front line did. If we surveyed Sparty's Offensive line - which 1st round defensive line prospects would they tell us are more overrated - Bosa or Bama's?

    I remembered

    If I recall that game correctly, Bosa was triple teamed on a bunch of plays....and the QB almost the entire game rolled out to his left immediately. Even the announcers like 5 minutes into the game were marveling at how much Bosa affected the Spartans usual offensive game plan. It couldn't have been more obvious from the first snap who MSU was trying to neutralize on that front 4.

  • Physically speaking, Bosa and Watt are similar molds. I don't believe Joey's first step is quite as elite as JJ's, but it sure as hell isn't that far off either.

    That said, if there is any one player I think Bosa's game reminds me of (and I believe he will be better than) is Michael Bennett.

    Your traditional LDE in a 4 man front that will slide around and inside to the 3 on passing downs should you choose.

    There is certainly nothing to snarl at as Bennett has been one of the best and most versatile dlineman in the NFL for a few years now.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @tiamat63 said:

    Physically speaking, Bosa and Watt are similar molds. I don't believe Joey's first step is quite as elite as JJ's, .

    are you comparing Bosa to Watt as they are now or as they were in college? Cause Bosa to me when he's full go from snap looks as good as Watt did. As I mentioned what I feel Bosa does better is read the run, by "far". So it sometimes looks like Joey's coming off the line easy, but he stacks his man and sheds him with ludicrous ease. I don't care what you all want to say about the level of competition Bosa faced...if a 300lb+ man grabs a hold of you for most players that's that. Some of these so called elite edge rushers in the game get absolutely swallowed if a tackle gets his hands on em. Not Joey. I remember Ansah a few years ago that was getting so highly touted and some people wanted the Browns to take him....but if you saw his tape you'd see how badly he'd get manhandled if a guy grabbed him.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that Joey's functional field strength is better now than watt's was when he was in college. That's obviously tough to measure as I don't think the 225 bench means shit. Just the eye test says Joey's doing things on the field that are really special.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    Of course I'm comparing their college performance. Watt has done nothing but become a better player since being drafted. I pray Joey does the same.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Point taken and agree that Tunsil is the clear "Best in Show" for 2016... (Yes, I watched Westminster with the wife....)

    Is Spence the equal of either Mack or Miller? Not positive, but I like his odds of being mentionable in the same sentence with them.

    When I caught sight of Spence going into Sr. Bowl week, he was a mid to late-2nd rounder. Mid to late 2nd rounders are not talked about a great deal. Now he's top half of the 1st and poised to crack the top ten, where I think he'll end up after the Combine.

    Certainly has all the physical tools to compare. If I'm not mistaken the criticism for Spence is the lack of a counter move and that he struggles against the run. Definitely two things that can be fixed with NFL coaching and strength training.

    I think the lack of 1st round buzz prior to the Senior Bowl was due to playing at Eastern Kentucky. If he was still playing at Ohio State, Bosa would be playing second fiddle to Spence.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @andeftw said:

    If I'm not mistaken the criticism for Spence is the lack of a counter move and that he struggles against the run. Definitely two things that can be fixed with NFL coaching and strength training.

    I think the lack of 1st round buzz prior to the Senior Bowl was due to playing at Eastern Kentucky. If he was still playing at Ohio State, Bosa would be playing second fiddle to Spence.

    Ummm, so has Mingo gotten bigger and stronger and now doesn't struggle against the run? Some things are instinctual and some things can be taught. Spence "maybe" would have started at the other side at OSU. But make no mistake Bosa is far and away a more complete player than Spence...it's not even close. Bosa could hack it on an NFL field "right now" whereas Spence would get tossed around like Mingo has for the last 3 years.

  • Of course I'm comparing their college performance. Watt has done nothing but become a better player since being drafted. I pray Joey does the same.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @tiamat63 said:

    Of course I'm comparing their college performance. Watt has done nothing but become a better player since being drafted. I pray Joey does the same.

    I think the game has changed since Watt played. Even college teams that run 4-3's are expecting more form their DE's. I think the days of "pure" pass rushers are over. Not that Watt couldn't have done the same, but his tape looks like he's just in QB kill mode constantly. Joey just looks more refined right now than Watt did at this level.

    I think anybody that has watched Texans games would find it hard to disagree, when they line up Watt like a 4-3 DE....its just not even fair. I remember Reggie White fairly well and he was great...maybe i'm not remembering him well enough but it just looks like Watt utterly destroys an OT's outside shoulder that he feels like. He almost doesn't have to take an arc to the QB, he just obliterates the tackles outside shoulder. And if the tackle steps out too far to compensate Watt just turns into him and deposits him in the QB's jock. If we could get a guy that's even half that good......I mean shit.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #60

    Watts pure stats would be stupid had he gone to a 4-3 team. He may not have been overall as effective against the run playing on the outside, but he would have destroyed sack records.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by Clevfan4life
    #61

    and something for you all to think about. Buffalo is likely gonna cut Mario at some point here soon...if we were running a 4-3 we could make an offer to Mario and Long. Draft Bosa and we have a DE rotation unmatched in football with Orchard in there.

    You wanna talk about a nascar package? Throw all 4 guys in there on long downs.

  • @flugel said:

    . I wanted to see this guy dominate Michigan State the way Bama's front line did. If we surveyed Sparty's Offensive line - which 1st round defensive line prospects would they tell us are more overrated - Bosa or Bama's?

    I remembered

    If I recall that game correctly, Bosa was triple teamed on a bunch of plays....and the QB almost the entire game rolled out to his left immediately. Even the announcers like 5 minutes into the game were marveling at how much Bosa affected the Spartans usual offensive game plan. It couldn't have been more obvious from the first snap who MSU was trying to neutralize on that front 4.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #62

    @clevfan4life said:

    If I recall that game correctly, Bosa was triple teamed on a bunch of plays....and the QB almost the entire game rolled out to his left immediately. Even the announcers like 5 minutes into the game were marveling at how much Bosa affected the Spartans usual offensive game plan. It couldn't have been more obvious from the first snap who MSU was trying to neutralize on that front 4.

    You didn't recall it correctly the day after the game either. We've had this conversation a few times. MSU ran right at Bosa (w/out any double teams) throughout the 2nd half in their game tying and go ahead scoring drives as well as the other drive they missed a FG on. They even iso'd a tall skinny TE #83 on him who drove him from 1 side of my television screen off the other side. The 1 time in the first half they moved Bosa inside, the guy who took his place got a sack.

    Also, if you remember the game - MSU had their 3rd string QB in on a night the wind and rain conditions were awful to throw the ball forecasting a lot of predictability running the ball (especially where efficient in half 2). You have the Fightless Illini matchup entrenched in your head so you always auto-default to - "they were triple teaming the poor guy."

    I watched that entire game waiting for this guy you're always describing to show me why we shouldn't have any other choice at #2. I never did nor did I see a guy ready to dominate all night. Neither did MSU, which is why they were able to single him up so frequently and get blockers on all the collateral Buckeyes around him.

    When guys like Reggie White and JJ Watt get chipped by a TE and also have/had a RB between the guy they're beating and the QB - they rarely needed excuses and alibis. Remember why you told someone you didn't like it when Bosa moved inside? You didn't want him getting double-teamed. This version of Superman sure has a lot kryptonite to worry about especially if the team and DC that takes him plans on frequently putting him in a 5 technique.

  • and something for you all to think about. Buffalo is likely gonna cut Mario at some point here soon...if we were running a 4-3 we could make an offer to Mario and Long. Draft Bosa and we have a DE rotation unmatched in football with Orchard in there.

    You wanna talk about a nascar package? Throw all 4 guys in there on long downs.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @clevfan4life said:

    and something for you all to think about. Buffalo is likely gonna cut Mario at some point here soon...if we were running a 4-3 we could make an offer to Mario and Long. Draft Bosa and we have a DE rotation unmatched in football with Orchard in there.

    You wanna talk about a nascar package? Throw all 4 guys in there on long downs.

    Sounds unnecessarily expensive.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #64

    Re: The Tale of Two Bosas...

    Easy enough to review.... http://draftbreakdown.com/video/joey-bosa-vs-michigan-state-2015/

    Suffice it to say there were no triple teams, only one, true double by my count (when shifted to RDE) and a couple more chips.

    Also they ran through his position only three times I saw in the 2nd... mostly ran middle and away. Bosa managed to chase down a couple of runs over Center, but only after positive gains. Interestingly two of the runs over him were on back-to-back plays after Bosa's third and final Offsides of the game. It was like they knew he'd ease up after the call.

    Pass rush was most telling thing I saw... he did not have one. And he was against a stiff RT. Most the the time when he tried to generate a rush, Bosa ran upfield and then tried to bend around behind the QB. Got close on a couple... Opened escape lanes for the QB in a couple more. However, Hubbard came in for two plays and carved to edges with the second resulting in a hard, fumble-producing sack.

    Most disturbing was Joey's lack of engagement until late and then it was too late(?). Why? It was a big game.

    Not a game tape an agent would cue up to sell his client.

  • Re: The Tale of Two Bosas...

    Easy enough to review.... http://draftbreakdown.com/video/joey-bosa-vs-michigan-state-2015/

    Suffice it to say there were no triple teams, only one, true double by my count (when shifted to RDE) and a couple more chips.

    Also they ran through his position only three times I saw in the 2nd... mostly ran middle and away. Bosa managed to chase down a couple of runs over Center, but only after positive gains. Interestingly two of the runs over him were on back-to-back plays after Bosa's third and final Offsides of the game. It was like they knew he'd ease up after the call.

    Pass rush was most telling thing I saw... he did not have one. And he was against a stiff RT. Most the the time when he tried to generate a rush, Bosa ran upfield and then tried to bend around behind the QB. Got close on a couple... Opened escape lanes for the QB in a couple more. However, Hubbard came in for two plays and carved to edges with the second resulting in a hard, fumble-producing sack.

    Most disturbing was Joey's lack of engagement until late and then it was too late(?). Why? It was a big game.

    Not a game tape an agent would cue up to sell his client.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @tour2ma said:

    Re: The Tale of Two Bosas...

    Easy enough to review.... http://draftbreakdown.com/video/joey-bosa-vs-michigan-state-2015/

    Suffice it to say there were no triple teams, only one, true double by my count (when shifted to RDE) and a couple more chips.

    Also they ran through his position only three times I saw in the 2nd... mostly ran middle and away. Bosa managed to chase down a couple of runs over Center, but only after positive gains. Interestingly two of the runs over him were on back-to-back plays after Bosa's third and final Offsides of the game. It was like they knew he'd ease up after the call.

    Pass rush was most telling thing I saw... he did not have one. And he was against a stiff RT. Most the the time when he tried to generate a rush, Bosa ran upfield and then tried to bend around behind the QB. Got close on a couple... Opened escape lanes for the QB in a couple more. However, Hubbard came in for two plays and carved to edges with the second resulting in a hard, fumble-producing sack.

    Most disturbing was Joey's lack of engagement until late and then it was too late(?). Why? It was a big game.

    Not a game tape an agent would cue up to sell his client.

    Good analysis. I didn't see a great tackler either. It looked like some designed inside runs had the RB cutting out his way in the second half. Anytime they ran right of Center in that 2nd half - was there a need to put more than 1 blocker on Bosa?

    That Hubbard sack is the one I kept mentioning but the mistake I made was Joey didn't kick inside - he went out to RDE as you alluded to. Thanks for showing the video so those that study prospects can see Joey doesn't get chipped and deal with a RB pass protecting any more than a lot of other edge rushers in this draft. And how often did MSU need to double him when they ran to the right side of Center especially in the 2nd half?

    I think Bosa can be a good DE in the right system; but I have no reason to consider him gotta have at #2 overall.