Skip to content

Can Bosa actually play OLB'er?

The Browns Board
164 26 6.3k
  • @the-gipper said:

    The answer is: yes.

    How about the correct answer?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #79

    @gftchris said:

    How about the correct answer?

    Yes.

  • One Post From the Truth said:

    Thanks. I guess he is the real deal then now the question....BPA or team need?

    You know, if this was Belichick evaluating carson or wentz and drafting one of them for the Browns....ok in that case i'd give Belichick the benefit of the doubt even though you know he'd want one of these defensive studs in this draft. THe Browns are like 0-40 on QB's in the last 17 years, so no I don't trust a single person in Berea that would say trust us he's "the guy" despite what you all see on tape. So yeah for me it's BPA. We've drafted for "need" too much the last couple years and that's why we have almost ZERO talent on both sides of the ball. Embarrassingly little talent on this team. I get it, they "thought' they were getting that talent in FA. But they didn't we know that now. So no more signing any players that are past their rookie deals. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Draft BPA unless you already have some major talent at that position than draft the next best player. Get playermakers on this team or people are going to very shortly stop giving a shit about the Browns.

    mohicanM mohican wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @clevfan4life said:

    You know, if this was Belichick evaluating carson or wentz and drafting one of them for the Browns....ok in that case i'd give Belichick the benefit of the doubt even though you know he'd want one of these defensive studs in this draft. THe Browns are like 0-40 on QB's in the last 17 years, so no I don't trust a single person in Berea that would say trust us he's "the guy" despite what you all see on tape. So yeah for me it's BPA. We've drafted for "need" too much the last couple years and that's why we have almost ZERO talent on both sides of the ball. Embarrassingly little talent on this team. I get it, they "thought' they were getting that talent in FA. But they didn't we know that now. So no more signing any players that are past their rookie deals. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Draft BPA unless you already have some major talent at that position than draft the next best player. Get playermakers on this team or people are going to very shortly stop giving a shit about the Browns.

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

  • BrownsnMoparB BrownsnMopar wrote on last edited by
    #81

    Ok...just to play the devils advocate game....with the #2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select DE Joey Bosa....now how does the Bosa pick dictate the rest of our draft...I really want opinions...thanks for playing!!! GO BROWNS

  • Ok...just to play the devils advocate game....with the #2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select DE Joey Bosa....now how does the Bosa pick dictate the rest of our draft...I really want opinions...thanks for playing!!! GO BROWNS

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @brownsnmopar said:

    Ok...just to play the devils advocate game....with the #2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select DE Joey Bosa....now how does the Bosa pick dictate the rest of our draft...I really want opinions...thanks for playing!!! GO BROWNS

    If that happens, then it would be apparent that the new regime firmly believes in BPA, so it would be impossible to predict the other picks. I'm sure a QB would be a pick somewhere, but who knows when that would be.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #83

    If it's Bosa at #2, it's McCown as the guy for the season. Nobody available at #32 will at any point be worthy of starting this year. You could look probably at WR in the early second, someone like Docston or Thomas will be around there, maybe DB in the third, it's a deep group that will have plenty to offer at that stage.

  • Ok...just to play the devils advocate game....with the #2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select DE Joey Bosa....now how does the Bosa pick dictate the rest of our draft...I really want opinions...thanks for playing!!! GO BROWNS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @brownsnmopar said:

    Ok...just to play the devils advocate game....with the #2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select DE Joey Bosa....now how does the Bosa pick dictate the rest of our draft...I really want opinions...thanks for playing!!! GO BROWNS

    Too damn many variables right now... resigning our FAs... signing others FAs...

    I think I can create reasonably realistic BPA puddles at our picks, but wouldn't know which player to pull based upon value.

  • @brownsnmopar said:

    Ok...just to play the devils advocate game....with the #2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select DE Joey Bosa....now how does the Bosa pick dictate the rest of our draft...I really want opinions...thanks for playing!!! GO BROWNS

    Too damn many variables right now... resigning our FAs... signing others FAs...

    I think I can create reasonably realistic BPA puddles at our picks, but wouldn't know which player to pull based upon value.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @tour2ma said:

    Too damn many variables right now... resigning our FAs... signing others FAs...

    I think I can create reasonably realistic BPA puddles at our picks, but wouldn't know which player to pull based upon value.

    Agree.....all along I have thought we just need to go BPA. Drafting for need has historically gotten nothing we need.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #86

    We could a MLB'er potentially with the #32 pick. Would signify a solid commitment to defense and stopping that mother fucking run.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #87

    I would like to see us sign Danny Trevathon in FA for that kind of role.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #88

    wouldn't be upset with Trevathan

  • @clevfan4life said:

    You know, if this was Belichick evaluating carson or wentz and drafting one of them for the Browns....ok in that case i'd give Belichick the benefit of the doubt even though you know he'd want one of these defensive studs in this draft. THe Browns are like 0-40 on QB's in the last 17 years, so no I don't trust a single person in Berea that would say trust us he's "the guy" despite what you all see on tape. So yeah for me it's BPA. We've drafted for "need" too much the last couple years and that's why we have almost ZERO talent on both sides of the ball. Embarrassingly little talent on this team. I get it, they "thought' they were getting that talent in FA. But they didn't we know that now. So no more signing any players that are past their rookie deals. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Draft BPA unless you already have some major talent at that position than draft the next best player. Get playermakers on this team or people are going to very shortly stop giving a shit about the Browns.

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @mohican said:

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

    God I seriously hope Hue soaked up some AFC north know how from his time in Cincy with Lewis. Gotta have that mean ass defense first.

  • @mohican said:

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

    God I seriously hope Hue soaked up some AFC north know how from his time in Cincy with Lewis. Gotta have that mean ass defense first.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @clevfan4life said:

    God I seriously hope Hue soaked up some AFC north know how from his time in Cincy with Lewis. Gotta have that mean ass defense first.

    And Baltimore.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #91

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    • Ragland hurt his stock at the Combine, but will still go in the first...
    • Brothers? Seems reach-ish at 32 even if I was a fan...
    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    WVU's Kwiatoski popped at the Combine, but yet to see his tape and he's a Day 3 guy.

    Of OLB convert candidates, I do like Schobert... but not at 32....

  • Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    • Ragland hurt his stock at the Combine, but will still go in the first...
    • Brothers? Seems reach-ish at 32 even if I was a fan...
    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    WVU's Kwiatoski popped at the Combine, but yet to see his tape and he's a Day 3 guy.

    Of OLB convert candidates, I do like Schobert... but not at 32....

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @tour2ma said:

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #93

    @clevfan4life said:

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    Not so much at ILB. Interior DL, and CB for sure.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #94

    @clevfan4life said:

    I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    @tour2ma said:

    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    @tour2ma said:

    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #95

    @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    We already had Scooby. 😆http://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa/scooby-doo-johnny-manziel-wins-the-heisman-trophy-182732361-238161801.html

    johnny-manziel-scooby-doo.jpg
  • @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    We already had Scooby. 😆http://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa/scooby-doo-johnny-manziel-wins-the-heisman-trophy-182732361-238161801.html

    johnny-manziel-scooby-doo.jpg
    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #96
  • @clevfan4life said:

    I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    @tour2ma said:

    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    ?

    Bosa could absolutely play the 3-4 Jack OLB'er in Dick Lebeau's old system with the Steelers. Look at what he did with Harrison. They never did anything more than drop Harrison into a shallow zone and told him to kill anything that crossed his face. The only difference I would do with Joey is put his hands down more, but Harrison was more comfortable rushing from the stand up. But a 3-4 OLB'er like what Pettine wanted out of Kruger last year? No of course not. I absolutely feel if we ran a standard 3-4 with a definitive jack and will olb'er Bosa would fit....Bosa could also slide to the 5-tech on passing downs and we could basically throw in a 2nd rush OLB'er.

    So it really boils down to what has Horton learned over the past two years as to whether Bosa would fit here or not. I'm just so sick and tired of the Browns run defense, and this goes back to the year that Jamaal Lewis gouged us for historical numbers in two games. It's been a perennial thing having a shit run defense. So i'm done with having subpar talent on the lines in favor of position players that seemingly never work out for us. I would even sacrifice pass rush in favor of a front 7 that stonewalled the run.

  • @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    ?

    Bosa could absolutely play the 3-4 Jack OLB'er in Dick Lebeau's old system with the Steelers. Look at what he did with Harrison. They never did anything more than drop Harrison into a shallow zone and told him to kill anything that crossed his face. The only difference I would do with Joey is put his hands down more, but Harrison was more comfortable rushing from the stand up. But a 3-4 OLB'er like what Pettine wanted out of Kruger last year? No of course not. I absolutely feel if we ran a standard 3-4 with a definitive jack and will olb'er Bosa would fit....Bosa could also slide to the 5-tech on passing downs and we could basically throw in a 2nd rush OLB'er.

    So it really boils down to what has Horton learned over the past two years as to whether Bosa would fit here or not. I'm just so sick and tired of the Browns run defense, and this goes back to the year that Jamaal Lewis gouged us for historical numbers in two games. It's been a perennial thing having a shit run defense. So i'm done with having subpar talent on the lines in favor of position players that seemingly never work out for us. I would even sacrifice pass rush in favor of a front 7 that stonewalled the run.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #98

    @clevfan4life said:

    Bosa could absolutely play the 3-4 Jack OLB'er in Dick Lebeau's old system with the Steelers. Look at what he did with Harrison. They never did anything more than drop Harrison into a shallow zone and told him to kill anything that crossed his face. The only difference I would do with Joey is put his hands down more, but Harrison was more comfortable rushing from the stand up. But a 3-4 OLB'er like what Pettine wanted out of Kruger last year? No of course not. I absolutely feel if we ran a standard 3-4 with a definitive jack and will olb'er Bosa would fit....Bosa could also slide to the 5-tech on passing downs and we could basically throw in a 2nd rush OLB'er.

    So it really boils down to what has Horton learned over the past two years as to whether Bosa would fit here or not. I'm just so sick and tired of the Browns run defense, and this goes back to the year that Jamaal Lewis gouged us for historical numbers in two games. It's been a perennial thing having a shit run defense. So i'm done with having subpar talent on the lines in favor of position players that seemingly never work out for us. I would even sacrifice pass rush in favor of a front 7 that stonewalled the run.

    I get it....and Im sick of the poor play too.....but thats a big part of the reason I dont want a guy who isnt a "perfect" fit for our system....once we take him away from what made him great, then we are square pegging the round hole....again....

    Can Bosa play LB?.....probably.....would he be a great LB?....I doubt it......If were just gonna settle and use a one dimensional rush only guy, we may as well just stick with who we have or go 4-3 and call it a day....

    But, if Horton wants to use his system and stay with a 3-4 - multi look front, then we need a LB who can drop...AND play the run....AND rush....etc.....and I dont see Bosa being that type of player....

    And if we want a 3-4 DE who plays the run well and has rush potential, there are several in this draft that are better suited to our system.....which would allow us to use that first pick on a top top player who fits....and still allow us to improve up front....