Skip to content

Can Bosa actually play OLB'er?

The Browns Board
164 26 6.3k
  • @clevfan4life said:

    You know, if this was Belichick evaluating carson or wentz and drafting one of them for the Browns....ok in that case i'd give Belichick the benefit of the doubt even though you know he'd want one of these defensive studs in this draft. THe Browns are like 0-40 on QB's in the last 17 years, so no I don't trust a single person in Berea that would say trust us he's "the guy" despite what you all see on tape. So yeah for me it's BPA. We've drafted for "need" too much the last couple years and that's why we have almost ZERO talent on both sides of the ball. Embarrassingly little talent on this team. I get it, they "thought' they were getting that talent in FA. But they didn't we know that now. So no more signing any players that are past their rookie deals. I'm sorry but that's how I see it. Draft BPA unless you already have some major talent at that position than draft the next best player. Get playermakers on this team or people are going to very shortly stop giving a shit about the Browns.

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @mohican said:

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

    God I seriously hope Hue soaked up some AFC north know how from his time in Cincy with Lewis. Gotta have that mean ass defense first.

  • @mohican said:

    But now we have Sushi and Hoo and analytics to help the Browns along.

    As far as I'm concerned, if Bosa get's past Tn at #1, we should take him as BPA.

    God I seriously hope Hue soaked up some AFC north know how from his time in Cincy with Lewis. Gotta have that mean ass defense first.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @clevfan4life said:

    God I seriously hope Hue soaked up some AFC north know how from his time in Cincy with Lewis. Gotta have that mean ass defense first.

    And Baltimore.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #91

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    • Ragland hurt his stock at the Combine, but will still go in the first...
    • Brothers? Seems reach-ish at 32 even if I was a fan...
    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    WVU's Kwiatoski popped at the Combine, but yet to see his tape and he's a Day 3 guy.

    Of OLB convert candidates, I do like Schobert... but not at 32....

  • Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    • Ragland hurt his stock at the Combine, but will still go in the first...
    • Brothers? Seems reach-ish at 32 even if I was a fan...
    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    WVU's Kwiatoski popped at the Combine, but yet to see his tape and he's a Day 3 guy.

    Of OLB convert candidates, I do like Schobert... but not at 32....

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @tour2ma said:

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #93

    @clevfan4life said:

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    Not so much at ILB. Interior DL, and CB for sure.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Three for Tre(e)... vathan that is...

    But which ILB will be at 32 and worth that pick, Cleve?

    I haven't really yet looked into whats going to be available with that 32 pick. I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #94

    @clevfan4life said:

    I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    @tour2ma said:

    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    @tour2ma said:

    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #95

    @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    We already had Scooby. 😆http://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa/scooby-doo-johnny-manziel-wins-the-heisman-trophy-182732361-238161801.html

    johnny-manziel-scooby-doo.jpg
  • @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    We already had Scooby. 😆http://www.irishcentral.com/sports/usa/scooby-doo-johnny-manziel-wins-the-heisman-trophy-182732361-238161801.html

    johnny-manziel-scooby-doo.jpg
    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #96
  • @clevfan4life said:

    I just have been reading that it's a deep draft for defense and that there might be a lot of guys going in the 2nd that in other years could have gone in the 1st round.

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    @tour2ma said:

    • And while I'm admittedly not a big fan of the Day 2 "players" like Scooby and Matakevich, not sure even their fans see them at 32.

    How can you not like Scooby?......he's worth it just for the name....cant you see the scooby snacks raining down from the dawg pound already?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    ?

    Bosa could absolutely play the 3-4 Jack OLB'er in Dick Lebeau's old system with the Steelers. Look at what he did with Harrison. They never did anything more than drop Harrison into a shallow zone and told him to kill anything that crossed his face. The only difference I would do with Joey is put his hands down more, but Harrison was more comfortable rushing from the stand up. But a 3-4 OLB'er like what Pettine wanted out of Kruger last year? No of course not. I absolutely feel if we ran a standard 3-4 with a definitive jack and will olb'er Bosa would fit....Bosa could also slide to the 5-tech on passing downs and we could basically throw in a 2nd rush OLB'er.

    So it really boils down to what has Horton learned over the past two years as to whether Bosa would fit here or not. I'm just so sick and tired of the Browns run defense, and this goes back to the year that Jamaal Lewis gouged us for historical numbers in two games. It's been a perennial thing having a shit run defense. So i'm done with having subpar talent on the lines in favor of position players that seemingly never work out for us. I would even sacrifice pass rush in favor of a front 7 that stonewalled the run.

  • @mudfly said:

    There is a ton of quality on DL and a number of "interior" guys that project well to DE in a 3-4.....and, to me, thats the smart approach over a guy like Bosa who isnt really a prototype 3-4 DE or one who looks like an OLB conversion candidate....

    ?

    Bosa could absolutely play the 3-4 Jack OLB'er in Dick Lebeau's old system with the Steelers. Look at what he did with Harrison. They never did anything more than drop Harrison into a shallow zone and told him to kill anything that crossed his face. The only difference I would do with Joey is put his hands down more, but Harrison was more comfortable rushing from the stand up. But a 3-4 OLB'er like what Pettine wanted out of Kruger last year? No of course not. I absolutely feel if we ran a standard 3-4 with a definitive jack and will olb'er Bosa would fit....Bosa could also slide to the 5-tech on passing downs and we could basically throw in a 2nd rush OLB'er.

    So it really boils down to what has Horton learned over the past two years as to whether Bosa would fit here or not. I'm just so sick and tired of the Browns run defense, and this goes back to the year that Jamaal Lewis gouged us for historical numbers in two games. It's been a perennial thing having a shit run defense. So i'm done with having subpar talent on the lines in favor of position players that seemingly never work out for us. I would even sacrifice pass rush in favor of a front 7 that stonewalled the run.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #98

    @clevfan4life said:

    Bosa could absolutely play the 3-4 Jack OLB'er in Dick Lebeau's old system with the Steelers. Look at what he did with Harrison. They never did anything more than drop Harrison into a shallow zone and told him to kill anything that crossed his face. The only difference I would do with Joey is put his hands down more, but Harrison was more comfortable rushing from the stand up. But a 3-4 OLB'er like what Pettine wanted out of Kruger last year? No of course not. I absolutely feel if we ran a standard 3-4 with a definitive jack and will olb'er Bosa would fit....Bosa could also slide to the 5-tech on passing downs and we could basically throw in a 2nd rush OLB'er.

    So it really boils down to what has Horton learned over the past two years as to whether Bosa would fit here or not. I'm just so sick and tired of the Browns run defense, and this goes back to the year that Jamaal Lewis gouged us for historical numbers in two games. It's been a perennial thing having a shit run defense. So i'm done with having subpar talent on the lines in favor of position players that seemingly never work out for us. I would even sacrifice pass rush in favor of a front 7 that stonewalled the run.

    I get it....and Im sick of the poor play too.....but thats a big part of the reason I dont want a guy who isnt a "perfect" fit for our system....once we take him away from what made him great, then we are square pegging the round hole....again....

    Can Bosa play LB?.....probably.....would he be a great LB?....I doubt it......If were just gonna settle and use a one dimensional rush only guy, we may as well just stick with who we have or go 4-3 and call it a day....

    But, if Horton wants to use his system and stay with a 3-4 - multi look front, then we need a LB who can drop...AND play the run....AND rush....etc.....and I dont see Bosa being that type of player....

    And if we want a 3-4 DE who plays the run well and has rush potential, there are several in this draft that are better suited to our system.....which would allow us to use that first pick on a top top player who fits....and still allow us to improve up front....

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #99

    Well but that's where I have to disagree with you, we saw Joey drop into zone's at OSU. We saw how fucking comfortable he looks in space at the combine. As I said, "IF" we use him like the Steelers used Harrison...he's a perfect fit. He can even get bigger and stronger if he wants. It all depends o what Horton wants to run. If all we're asking out of Bosa is a shallow zone and just killshot anything that comes across his face...not only do I think he could do that, he could thrive.

    It just depends on what Horton wants out of his edges. Lemme ask you this....year one with Horton, did you see him ask anything out of Kruger that Joey couldn't do right now?

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    and also, there's something to be said for getting BPA and maybe tweaking the system a little bit around him. Just saying.

  • Well but that's where I have to disagree with you, we saw Joey drop into zone's at OSU. We saw how fucking comfortable he looks in space at the combine. As I said, "IF" we use him like the Steelers used Harrison...he's a perfect fit. He can even get bigger and stronger if he wants. It all depends o what Horton wants to run. If all we're asking out of Bosa is a shallow zone and just killshot anything that comes across his face...not only do I think he could do that, he could thrive.

    It just depends on what Horton wants out of his edges. Lemme ask you this....year one with Horton, did you see him ask anything out of Kruger that Joey couldn't do right now?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly

    @clevfan4life said:

    Well but that's where I have to disagree with you, we saw Joey drop into zone's at OSU. We saw how fucking comfortable he looks in space at the combine. As I said, "IF" we use him like the Steelers used Harrison...he's a perfect fit. He can even get bigger and stronger if he wants. It all depends o what Horton wants to run. If all we're asking out of Bosa is a shallow zone and just killshot anything that comes across his face...not only do I think he could do that, he could thrive.

    It just depends on what Horton wants out of his edges. Lemme ask you this....year one with Horton, did you see him ask anything out of Kruger that Joey couldn't do right now?

    No....and I think Joey would be a upgrade over Kruger....no matter how they use him....

    If Bosa is as good as the projections are....and Horton basically planned around him...then, yeah, it could work.....

    Ive said it a bunch of times.....I would love to have Bosa on our team....love the kid and think he's a great player.....but just not so sure he's this uber amazing once in a lifetime prospect that some have built him up to be...and see so many needs and positions we have to fill and so few positions that are as strong and deep as DE/DL...thats all....

    So we take Bosa at #1....but then cant find any other impact players in the second, where we "could have" tapped an impact DL....so Im just looking at the best way we could possibly get 2 impact players instead of one(who we might have to ask to play a different position)....

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    I'm happy with what we have at DL though, i'm not thinking that's as big a need as our edges. Our edges are horrible. If I have to watch Kruger, Mingo and Soloman get their pads turned by TE's next year and Bosa is off somewhere being rated as one of the highest rookie run stoppers in the game like Mack was....i'm not kidding i'm taking some off from football. I won't fan for any other team but i'll take a break from the game overall till Cleveland figures out how to stop the run. Cant watch it anymore. Can't watch little turds run for 150 and jump in our stands. Won't be part of that anymore.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Watched more tape on Bosa this week. I'm a believer. Much better than Buckner. If we get Osweiler and Bosa (provided Hue really believes in the former), I'll be very happy. Of course, that's assuming he can be a fit with Horton, which the jury is still out on, as Mudfly states.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc

    there is no way to figure that Bosa could be any kind of dramatic impact player

    for the Browns.

    Even if he's better than Kruger, that isn't any dramatic impact, and that impact is

    what I expect from a first round draft pick.

    It's qb. No freakin way Bosa.

    Here's part of the why:

    Ogbah is #1 in production. The difference in skill level between Bosa and Ogbah

    is insignificant compared to the huge difference in skill level between Goff/Wentz... and the

    rest of the qb's.

    You let Ogbah, for instance, fall past Caroline, and into the pick at 32.

    http://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/2/29/11130962/2016-nfl-draft-potential-panther-emmanuel-ogbah

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I like Ogbah, but he simply doesn't play against anyone. Cody Whitehair and Spencer Drango, that's about it. And that evaluation is contingent on them lining up on the same side. I'd be ok with taking him, but I don't think he's as good as Bosa.

    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonathan Bullard out of Florida. He was the best interior DL in the SEC last year.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    If Bosa's half as good a run defender in his 1st year in the NFL as he was in college, bet your ahole he'll make an impact. I don't think people really understand that this kid isn't just a pass rusher. I wouldn't be that high on him if he wasn't good against the run. Good god imagine a defensive front with Bosa and Johnson/Long/Wiliams as the edges.

    I also just realized that we could have Long, Johnson as our DE's. Get it?

  • J joedawg69 wrote on last edited by

    I don't care what position we pick so long as we stop reaching and go for the BPA. I do agree that Bosa is a reach at 2 although I do feel that there may be some other prospects that would not be a reach at 2 like at OT, DT, QB but most the others are trade backs to a later spot in the first round if possible. If we just build our team with the best players possible we should be alright.

  • I don't care what position we pick so long as we stop reaching and go for the BPA. I do agree that Bosa is a reach at 2 although I do feel that there may be some other prospects that would not be a reach at 2 like at OT, DT, QB but most the others are trade backs to a later spot in the first round if possible. If we just build our team with the best players possible we should be alright.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @joedawg69 said:

    I don't care what position we pick so long as we stop reaching and go for the BPA. I do agree that Bosa is a reach at 2 although I do feel that there may be some other prospects that would not be a reach at 2 like at OT, DT, QB but most the others are trade backs to a later spot in the first round if possible. If we just build our team with the best players possible we should be alright.

    Why would he be a reach at #2 when many if not most evaluations put him as the #1 available talent in the draft? I documented this elsewhere.