Skip to content

More Quinn to Denver speculation

The Browns Board
33 18 2.7k
  • Let's see, as a life long Cleveland sports fan I could see this happening for sure. Quinn goes on to become one of the best franchise QB's for years and Denver has mad success, meanwhile the Browns will be on their 400th starting QB by the year 2020 and we'll be talking still about how we went with the Doofus from Scapoosus back circa 2010.

    It all adds up. This may be the "woe is me" attitude Phillip kept talking about, but unfortunately Phillip made me the way I am going with Dexter last year.

    L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by lemosley01
    #12

    @riffer-x said:

    Let's see, as a life long Cleveland sports fan I could see this happening for sure. Quinn goes on to become one of the best franchise QB's for years and Denver has mad success, meanwhile the Browns will be on their 400th starting QB by the year 2020 and we'll be talking still about how we went with the Doofus from Scapoosus back circa 2010.

    It all adds up. This may be the "woe is me" attitude Phillip kept talking about, but unfortunately Phillip made me the way I am going with Dexter last year.

    No, Quinn engineers the 'Drive II' and goes on to win multiple Superbowls, always beating us out and keeping us just shy of winning the big one.

    THAT is worst case scenario.

    Yeah, I liked Mangini at the time, but boy DID I want Marty.

  • I was watching NFL Network this morning and they were discussing the Broncos QB situation (surprise). They mentioned that Quinn was NOT high on NE's draft board when he came out...and that they really doubted that Quinn was a player that McDaniel would really want.

    Obviously this is all speculation, but an interesting twist to this whole thing.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I was watching NFL Network this morning and they were discussing the Broncos QB situation (surprise). They mentioned that Quinn was NOT high on NE's draft board when he came out...and that they really doubted that Quinn was a player that McDaniel would really want.

    Obviously this is all speculation, but an interesting twist to this whole thing.

    Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

    That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

    I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

    I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #14

    @inspecta said:

    Peen, had we not come in and scooped up Quinn he would not of made it out of the first round. You can bank on that.

    Every mock I had seen leading up to that draft had Quinn going in the top ten, not sure where this 2nd round bullshit came from, but if you got a source I'd love to read it.

    Not sure i can find it as it was the write up in the draft guide....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1888536

    And what about Brady Quinn?

    Brady Quinn is this year's Matt Leinart. He'll probably come out of the draft process with the same view Leinart expressed last June. "These (scouts) look to drag you down," Leinart said with disgust. Quinn has gone through a similar dissection the past few months.

    Unlike Russell, Quinn doesn't have much room for growth. So he doesn't excite anyone, much like Leinart, who slipped to Arizona at No. 10 last April. "Quinn is a solid player and you know what you are getting, and there is something to be said for that," says Scot McCloughan, 49ers vice president of player personnel.

    Quinn has been groomed for much of his life to play quarterback in the NFL. He comes from a complex offense at Notre Dame, he has impressive work habits, his mechanics are flawless, and he is tough. And NFL folks aren't as hung up as you might expect on the "Can he win big games?" question attached to his resume. But sometimes he is inexplicably inaccurate, and he'll have to prove he can make consistently good decisions under pressure. At best, he is a second-level pro quarterback, below the Peyton Mannings and Carson Palmers.

    This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html

    This one gets a little closer, but you have to pay to read on, but it paints the picture...calls Quinn the biggest fraud in the draft.

    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1235265901.html

    I link this blog to at least show I am not just fabricating stories about what I read on Quinn. I hope i have at least dispelled any thinking in that regard....

    http://chff.blogspot.com/2007/02/brady-quinn-bust.html

    Found it....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176563

  • SuperSteelersS SuperSteelers wrote on last edited by
    #15

    According to a Pittsburgh paper (cant remember which) it said there was a straight up trade, Cutler for Quinn, but Cutler nixed it. I cant see Cutler calling the shots on this type of trade. Maybe the paper was just poking at Cleveland. Did anyone hear this too?

  • According to a Pittsburgh paper (cant remember which) it said there was a straight up trade, Cutler for Quinn, but Cutler nixed it. I cant see Cutler calling the shots on this type of trade. Maybe the paper was just poking at Cleveland. Did anyone hear this too?

    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @supersteelers said:

    According to a Pittsburgh paper (cant remember which) it said there was a straight up trade, Cutler for Quinn, but Cutler nixed it. I cant see Cutler calling the shots on this type of trade. Maybe the paper was just poking at Cleveland. Did anyone hear this too?

    Honestly, we've read so much it's hard to keep track of all of it.

    I'll bet we read 20 different versions and possibilites to this trade. Maybe more than that. It's mind boggling and I think most posters on here just want it to die a quick death.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @inspecta said:

    Very well. Although most mainstream media still had Quinn going in the top ten, if that wasn't the case then it would of been no big deal when he plummeted out of the top ten.

    I knew there was some knocks on his accuracy but I didn't know they were tearing him apart like that. Thanks for the links Peen, I appreciate it.

    No problem man. On this issue I really don't take a position as all I care about is having the best team possible. I don't care who plays.......just win as the saying goes.

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I guess that now makes all my previous assessments on Quinn irrelevant........good take my friend

  • @inspecta said:

    Peen, had we not come in and scooped up Quinn he would not of made it out of the first round. You can bank on that.

    Every mock I had seen leading up to that draft had Quinn going in the top ten, not sure where this 2nd round bullshit came from, but if you got a source I'd love to read it.

    Not sure i can find it as it was the write up in the draft guide....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1888536

    And what about Brady Quinn?

    Brady Quinn is this year's Matt Leinart. He'll probably come out of the draft process with the same view Leinart expressed last June. "These (scouts) look to drag you down," Leinart said with disgust. Quinn has gone through a similar dissection the past few months.

    Unlike Russell, Quinn doesn't have much room for growth. So he doesn't excite anyone, much like Leinart, who slipped to Arizona at No. 10 last April. "Quinn is a solid player and you know what you are getting, and there is something to be said for that," says Scot McCloughan, 49ers vice president of player personnel.

    Quinn has been groomed for much of his life to play quarterback in the NFL. He comes from a complex offense at Notre Dame, he has impressive work habits, his mechanics are flawless, and he is tough. And NFL folks aren't as hung up as you might expect on the "Can he win big games?" question attached to his resume. But sometimes he is inexplicably inaccurate, and he'll have to prove he can make consistently good decisions under pressure. At best, he is a second-level pro quarterback, below the Peyton Mannings and Carson Palmers.

    This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html

    This one gets a little closer, but you have to pay to read on, but it paints the picture...calls Quinn the biggest fraud in the draft.

    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1235265901.html

    I link this blog to at least show I am not just fabricating stories about what I read on Quinn. I hope i have at least dispelled any thinking in that regard....

    http://chff.blogspot.com/2007/02/brady-quinn-bust.html

    Found it....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176563

    OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by OconRecon
    #19

    @ballpeen said:

    ...This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html...

    Holy cow, who? Kolb? Beck? I had to Google those guys. 1 TD and 7 INT's between them so far in the NFL.

    Remind me not to go to that site for this year's draft. πŸ˜‰

    I will say Jamarcus had a better 2008 than I recalled. He still looks too dear-in-the-headlights for me to believe he'll pan out. He'll need a super star (Moss or Fitzgerald) type of WR to make him look good, IMHO.

  • P pl4tinum wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I know you guys don't give a sh-t, but if we trade Quinn before week 6 of this season, I'm done with the Browns, FOR REAL.

    Mangini and Lerner will go down in history as the reason the Browns left Cleveland PERMANENTLY if Quinn EVER has success ANYWHERE ELSE.

  • @inspecta said:

    Peen, had we not come in and scooped up Quinn he would not of made it out of the first round. You can bank on that.

    Every mock I had seen leading up to that draft had Quinn going in the top ten, not sure where this 2nd round bullshit came from, but if you got a source I'd love to read it.

    Not sure i can find it as it was the write up in the draft guide....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1888536

    And what about Brady Quinn?

    Brady Quinn is this year's Matt Leinart. He'll probably come out of the draft process with the same view Leinart expressed last June. "These (scouts) look to drag you down," Leinart said with disgust. Quinn has gone through a similar dissection the past few months.

    Unlike Russell, Quinn doesn't have much room for growth. So he doesn't excite anyone, much like Leinart, who slipped to Arizona at No. 10 last April. "Quinn is a solid player and you know what you are getting, and there is something to be said for that," says Scot McCloughan, 49ers vice president of player personnel.

    Quinn has been groomed for much of his life to play quarterback in the NFL. He comes from a complex offense at Notre Dame, he has impressive work habits, his mechanics are flawless, and he is tough. And NFL folks aren't as hung up as you might expect on the "Can he win big games?" question attached to his resume. But sometimes he is inexplicably inaccurate, and he'll have to prove he can make consistently good decisions under pressure. At best, he is a second-level pro quarterback, below the Peyton Mannings and Carson Palmers.

    This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html

    This one gets a little closer, but you have to pay to read on, but it paints the picture...calls Quinn the biggest fraud in the draft.

    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1235265901.html

    I link this blog to at least show I am not just fabricating stories about what I read on Quinn. I hope i have at least dispelled any thinking in that regard....

    http://chff.blogspot.com/2007/02/brady-quinn-bust.html

    Found it....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176563

    GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
    #21

    @ballpeen said:

    Not sure i can find it as it was the write up in the draft guide....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1888536

    And what about Brady Quinn?

    Brady Quinn is this year's Matt Leinart. He'll probably come out of the draft process with the same view Leinart expressed last June. "These (scouts) look to drag you down," Leinart said with disgust. Quinn has gone through a similar dissection the past few months.

    Unlike Russell, Quinn doesn't have much room for growth. So he doesn't excite anyone, much like Leinart, who slipped to Arizona at No. 10 last April. "Quinn is a solid player and you know what you are getting, and there is something to be said for that," says Scot McCloughan, 49ers vice president of player personnel.

    Quinn has been groomed for much of his life to play quarterback in the NFL. He comes from a complex offense at Notre Dame, he has impressive work habits, his mechanics are flawless, and he is tough. And NFL folks aren't as hung up as you might expect on the "Can he win big games?" question attached to his resume. But sometimes he is inexplicably inaccurate, and he'll have to prove he can make consistently good decisions under pressure. At best, he is a second-level pro quarterback, below the Peyton Mannings and Carson Palmers.

    This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html

    This one gets a little closer, but you have to pay to read on, but it paints the picture...calls Quinn the biggest fraud in the draft.

    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1235265901.html

    I link this blog to at least show I am not just fabricating stories about what I read on Quinn. I hope i have at least dispelled any thinking in that regard....

    http://chff.blogspot.com/2007/02/brady-quinn-bust.html

    Found it....

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=176563

    Thanks for the links peen...we got to see bq in 2 and a part of a third game and he most certainly looked for real to me he looked really poised for a guy straight off the bench with 20 or so snaps with an already ailing first team..

    A lot of people and writers do not like bq for various reasons but ive watched bq play with ND for almost 4 years i rarely missed a game and i have seen the kid do some amazing stuff including some insane bombs i considered him pro ready 2 years before he was drafted...his lack of accuracy on the long ball is more of a running for your life while still getting a fairly well thrown ball down field thing...a lot of his so called inaccuracy was on the run in heavy pressure and from odd throwing positions it ussually worked out better then a sack..πŸ˜‰

    ND didnt and still doesnt have a good o-line bq always reminded me of john elway somehow finding ways to get it done with a bad line and mediocre recievers..this kid can play ball its just a matter of when and for who he plays for and then all will know he can play at the nfl level..πŸ˜‰

    As for being inexplicably inaccurate at times yes at times like any other qb his throwing in some games would leave you saying to yourself...what the hell was that?

  • @ballpeen said:

    ...This link shows him the 4th best qb in that draft behind Russell, Kolb, and Beck...near the bottom of the page

    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/index.html...

    Holy cow, who? Kolb? Beck? I had to Google those guys. 1 TD and 7 INT's between them so far in the NFL.

    Remind me not to go to that site for this year's draft. πŸ˜‰

    I will say Jamarcus had a better 2008 than I recalled. He still looks too dear-in-the-headlights for me to believe he'll pan out. He'll need a super star (Moss or Fitzgerald) type of WR to make him look good, IMHO.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #22

    @oconrecon said:

    Holy cow, who? Kolb? Beck? I had to Google those guys. 1 TD and 7 INT's between them so far in the NFL.

    Remind me not to go to that site for this year's draft. πŸ˜‰

    I will say Jamarcus had a better 2008 than I recalled. He still looks too dear-in-the-headlights for me to believe he'll pan out. He'll need a super star (Moss or Fitzgerald) type of WR to make him look good, IMHO.

    It isn't the site so much.....The Sporting News said he would be a first round pick...just with some warnings.

    This just goes back to what we were discussing early on...that there were opinions all over the board with Brady...some teams and scouts thought he was pretty good....others not so good..

    So, where does that leave Mangini?? In the end it is going to be his opinion that counts...

    As to the guy who said he was done with the Browns if BQ didn't start 6-8 games....you must have been one of the fans to come over when Brady was drafted.

    That's cool. Everybody starts liking their team for one reason or another....nobody is born a fan of a certain team or sport and everybody in the juvenile stages of being a fan usually latch on to a player as the reason they become a fan...You have entire eras who latched on to Otto...another Jim Brown, Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, etc. ....or even a coach...Paul Brown, Blanton, Sam.....I was Dante Lavelli while playing the childrens sandlots.

    This newest era of fan has become frustrated because the only people they could latch on to have largely been an assembly of bums. I hope Quinn, or Anderson, or Thomas....someone steps forward to be that person because young fans need that before they can get over the rooting for individual players and more or less just be fans of the team.

    *When i say young fan...I am talking about a stage of being a fan...the age or maturity of the person isn't a factor. It can be a 7 year old or a 40 year old.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #23

    The one thing I've learned from all these threads are that MOST of the media & a scary number of scouts are pretty darned inaccurate! Look at the 3 guys they had ahead of Quinn??? Seems like there are more they call wrong than right.

    In the case of the northeast Ohio media, it may well be "sour grapes". They aren't getting info fed to them by "inside sources" from this regime.

    As far as the inaccuracy thing for Quinn, ANY athlete in ANY sport will have those times when their "off", usually in the fundamentals & it affects their game.

    As for me, I'm sticking with Brady. The young man showed me a crispness in decision making & movement that I really like. He shows confidence rather than being tentative. Add to all that his size, mobility, & quick release....What's NOT to like? That he called "big mouth" out?....That's ANOTHER plus IMHO.

    Obviously, I don't buy into all the media "stuff", so I'll use my favorite 2 words to predict our future QB ....."We'll see".

    Mike

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #24
    The one thing I've learned from all these threads are that MOST of the media & a scary number of scouts are pretty darned inaccurate!

    I agree.

    As far as the media, the days of reporting news is long gone. It is now an op-ed based medium, so with that, you get a lot of "stuff" being passed along.

    As to scouts and scouting....it is why i have said for a long time you would probably do as well simply throwing darts to select players.

    For the most part teams/scouts do a good job of getting players in to the correct tier, but after that, plain old luck come in to play.

    It is sort of like you being given 30 keys to a car but only being allowed to use one of them to try to start the car.

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I was watching NFL Network this morning and they were discussing the Broncos QB situation (surprise). They mentioned that Quinn was NOT high on NE's draft board when he came out...and that they really doubted that Quinn was a player that McDaniel would really want.

    Obviously this is all speculation, but an interesting twist to this whole thing.

    Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

    That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

    I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

    I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

    S samoth wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @ballpeen said:

    Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

    That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

    I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

    I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

    Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

    That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

    I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

    I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

    Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @samoth said:

    Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

    Thanks for that info Samoth! makes perfect sense.

    It would be tough for ANY of the USC coaches to forget that Quinn actually led a vastly undermanned ND team to go ahead points the LAST time ND's offense touched the ball in Quinn's junior year. What more can you ask of your QB against the #1 ranked team in the country?

    The ONLY difference in that game and USC's game vrs Texas was that Texas scored as time expired while USC scored as time expired vrs ND.

    Since we gave up a first round pick and another pick to GET Quinn, it sure would have been nice to see our organization putting a spinal column into that decision. We're in transition so what is the HARM of seeing what we got in Quinn? We've seen 26 auditions of DA and they aren't improving. Let's stop pretending we're sitting Quinn for Brett Favre here.

    - Tom F.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Quinn was all over the place with scouts and ratings. That year TSN had Quinn rated a 3rd round talent.

    That might be a stretch, but it does show some scouts didn't feel he was all that great a prospect.

    I am sure there were several teams who had Quinn rated as a 2nd round talent....and that probably isn't stretching matters.

    I guess the bottom line is BQ wasn't a slam dunk choice around the league.

    Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #27

    @samoth said:

    Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

    Like I said...the opinions were all over the board.

    Good old Layne.....he also said Meyer was a cheater when he wasn't, and all the while, he was in violation of the rules.

    That has nothing to do with any of this, but you brought him up and it sent me off in another direction.

    9-19-09. I am looking forward to that.

    If Flugs and Dency need me to drive up to Knoxville to teach them how to do the Gator Chop, or teach them to sing "We are the Boys", it can be worked out.

    😁

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I have to represent the Bucks after that. LOL

  • @samoth said:

    Maybe not, but Layne Kiffin has publically stated that he wanted Quinn #1 overall, not JaMarcus Russell, who Al Davis forced him to pick.

    Like I said...the opinions were all over the board.

    Good old Layne.....he also said Meyer was a cheater when he wasn't, and all the while, he was in violation of the rules.

    That has nothing to do with any of this, but you brought him up and it sent me off in another direction.

    9-19-09. I am looking forward to that.

    If Flugs and Dency need me to drive up to Knoxville to teach them how to do the Gator Chop, or teach them to sing "We are the Boys", it can be worked out.

    😁

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    Like I said...the opinions were all over the board.

    Good old Layne.....he also said Meyer was a cheater when he wasn't, and all the while, he was in violation of the rules.

    That has nothing to do with any of this, but you brought him up and it sent me off in another direction.

    9-19-09. I am looking forward to that.

    If Flugs and Dency need me to drive up to Knoxville to teach them how to do the Gator Chop, or teach them to sing "We are the Boys", it can be worked out.

    😁

    LOL! I wouldn't bet against you on the chop or the song.

    That's a VERY good point about Kiffen's lack of accuracy with his accusations. There's ALOT of people in Middle Tennessee that aren't digging his act just yet. Sports radio got REALLY entertaining when all that was going down. The LAST guy I'd want to rub the wrong way if I'm a NEW SEC coach is Urban Meyer. You're better off going the Ole Miss route and flying under the radar if you want to sneak up on Florida.

    - Tom F.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Sorry....after i wrote that I remembered you are in Nashville.

    Actually, that works out...the three of us can meet up in the middle....say Cookeville or Crossville....both are nice towns with some decent eating options.

  • I have to represent the Bucks after that. LOL

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #31

    nmills said:

    I have to represent the Bucks after that. LOL

    That's cool Mills....I like the song...I grew up in Ohio..got my degrees from Florida. I still pull for the Bucks "almost" all of the time.

    Actually, this is the official fight song....the others are fan songs..