Skip to content

Top 5 living Rock Icons

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
94 14 3.4k
  • With so many deaths having happened, who are the Top 5 living Rock n Roll Icons? (Individuals, not acts):

    One list:

    Chuck Berry

    Bob Dylan

    Paul McCartney

    Mick Jagger

    And I can't decide between Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Brian Wilson

    Follow up 5:

    Springsteen

    Page/Plant

    Elton John

    Neil Young

    Paul Simon

    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
    #5

    @the-gipper said:

    With so many deaths having happened, who are the Top 5 living Rock n Roll Icons? (Individuals, not acts):

    One list:

    Chuck Berry

    Bob Dylan

    Paul McCartney

    Mick Jagger

    And I can't decide between Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Brian Wilson

    Follow up 5:

    Springsteen

    Page/Plant

    Elton John

    Neil Young

    Paul Simon

    Wow, Gipper, a great question / Survey

    Of course, what do you define as 'Rock'

    FWIW, I am trying to add to your list. I am not saying I don't agree with your names. However there will probably be 50 worthy candidates for the Top 10

    To me the most iconic R&Rer has to be Mick Jagger. Hands down.

    In no particular order (and some quick brainstorming):

    Smokey Robinson

    Jerry Lee Lewis

    Van Morrison

    Greg Allman

    Billy Joel

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #6

    No love for jimmy page?

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #7

    Mick

    Iommi

    Ozzy

    EVH

    Angus

    Plant or Page

  • @the-gipper said:

    With so many deaths having happened, who are the Top 5 living Rock n Roll Icons? (Individuals, not acts):

    One list:

    Chuck Berry

    Bob Dylan

    Paul McCartney

    Mick Jagger

    And I can't decide between Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Brian Wilson

    Follow up 5:

    Springsteen

    Page/Plant

    Elton John

    Neil Young

    Paul Simon

    Wow, Gipper, a great question / Survey

    Of course, what do you define as 'Rock'

    FWIW, I am trying to add to your list. I am not saying I don't agree with your names. However there will probably be 50 worthy candidates for the Top 10

    To me the most iconic R&Rer has to be Mick Jagger. Hands down.

    In no particular order (and some quick brainstorming):

    Smokey Robinson

    Jerry Lee Lewis

    Van Morrison

    Greg Allman

    Billy Joel

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #8

    Celebrate the living.... good idea...

    @chicopee-john said:

    FWIW, I am trying to add to your list. I am not saying I don't agree with your names. However there will probably be 50 worthy candidates for the Top 10

    Pretty much my usual count...

    Let's see...

    1. Mick...
    2. Peter Gabriel
    3. Rick Ray Davies
    4. Neil Young
    5. Joe Walsh
  • Lemmy is not alive

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @browns149 said:

    Lemmy is not alive

    Ya that's right what was I thinking?
  • Eddie Van Halen

    James Hetfield

    Lemmy Kilmister

    Sting

    Steve Adler... I met him one day he's cool that's why he's on my list.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    One Post From the Truth said:

    Eddie Van Halen

    James Hetfield

    Lemmy Kilmister

    Sting

    Steve Adler... I met him one day he's cool that's why he's on my list.

    How can someone be a icon if a lot of us have never heard of them? As is the case with half of these guys. (Besides...isn't this Lemmy guy among The Departed?)

  • No love for jimmy page?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    No love for jimmy page?

    I put Page and Plant together in my second 5.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I think the point of this is to list who the greatest living Rock Icons are.....not who you may like the best.

    I don't know who James Hetfield is. Or Rick Davies. While I may be a bit out of touch with certain genres of music....to be an icon, I think you have to have your name known by the general public pretty much.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I think Rick Davies is the Supertramp guy. I don't think they're iconic but they are important. Hetfield is Metallica, who I would place closer to the icons list.

    WSS

  • I think Rick Davies is the Supertramp guy. I don't think they're iconic but they are important. Hetfield is Metallica, who I would place closer to the icons list.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @westside-steve said:

    I think Rick Davies is the Supertramp guy. I don't think they're iconic but they are important. Hetfield is Metallica, who I would place closer to the icons list.

    WSS

    Like I said, the fact that you have to explain who they are takes them out of Icon status...imo.

    I mean....if you want a metal hair band icon....the guy from Whitesnake....David Copperhead/Cloverfield or whatever would be more iconic.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #15

    No, I think iconic is across the board and transgenerational. I have my own favorites but don't consider them to be iconic in the sense that Chuck Berry or Elvis Presley or the Beatles or Frank Sinatra are icons.

    WSS

  • Celebrate the living.... good idea...

    @chicopee-john said:

    FWIW, I am trying to add to your list. I am not saying I don't agree with your names. However there will probably be 50 worthy candidates for the Top 10

    Pretty much my usual count...

    Let's see...

    1. Mick...
    2. Peter Gabriel
    3. Rick Ray Davies
    4. Neil Young
    5. Joe Walsh
    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tour2ma said:

    1. Rick Davies

    Typo?.....possibly you mean Ray Davies?....

    @the-gipper said:

    I think the point of this is to list who the greatest living Rock Icons are.....not who you may like the best.

    I don't know who James Hetfield is. Or Rick Davies. While I may be a bit out of touch with certain genres of music....to be an icon, I think you have to have your name known by the general public pretty much.

    Id say it's generational to a point......though, I agree that the top 5 should be known by just about everyone.....

    Mine are....

    1) McCartney - Ringo

    2) Jagger - Richards

    3) Page - Plant

    4) Clapton

    5) Elton John

    Runners up: Alice Cooper, Prince, Sting, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Madonna, Springsteen, David Gilmore, Townsend and Daltrey are probably all in the conversation too....

  • C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
    #17

    I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.

  • I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @chicopee-john said:

    I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.

    I can see Santana for sure....Rod Stewart?....not as much....

  • @chicopee-john said:

    I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.

    I can see Santana for sure....Rod Stewart?....not as much....

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mudfly said:

    I can see Santana for sure....Rod Stewart?....not as much....

    Neither one in the top 5. We are talking all time icon.

    WSS

  • JPPT1974J JPPT1974 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Mick Jagger

    Paul McCartney

    Elton John

    Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys

    Eric Clapton

  • I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @chicopee-john said:

    I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.

    I mean santana has done a lot but I'm not sure either qualify as icon status

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Obviously I would have put bowie here a few months ago

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #23

    Jagger/Richards

    Plant/page

    McCartney

    Springsteen

    And then in my opinion your have to move forward to the next generation to find another living rock ICON

    someone like James Hetfield or Dave Grohl maybe.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I dunno....if they haven't done the halftime of the Super Bowl can they qualify as an icon..... 😳