Top 5 living Rock Icons
-
Obviously I would have put bowie here a few months ago
-
Jagger/Richards
Plant/page
McCartney
Springsteen
And then in my opinion your have to move forward to the next generation to find another living rock ICON
someone like James Hetfield or Dave Grohl maybe.
-
I dunno....if they haven't done the halftime of the Super Bowl can they qualify as an icon.....

-
Arbitrary and useless "qualification" katy perry, missy elliot and n sync have all done the half time show.
-
- Rick Davies
Typo?.....possibly you mean Ray Davies?....
I think the point of this is to list who the greatest living Rock Icons are.....not who you may like the best.
I don't know who James Hetfield is. Or Rick Davies. While I may be a bit out of touch with certain genres of music....to be an icon, I think you have to have your name known by the general public pretty much.
Id say it's generational to a point......though, I agree that the top 5 should be known by just about everyone.....
Mine are....
1) McCartney - Ringo
2) Jagger - Richards
3) Page - Plant
4) Clapton
5) Elton John
Runners up: Alice Cooper, Prince, Sting, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Madonna, Springsteen, David Gilmore, Townsend and Daltrey are probably all in the conversation too....
-
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
-
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
ahhhh....Bob Seger....a guy who rarely gets his due!
I had the Live Bullet 8 track in my first car that played non-stop for a couple years.....
-
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
ahhhh....Bob Seger....a guy who rarely gets his due!
I had the Live Bullet 8 track in my first car that played non-stop for a couple years.....
-
I find it interesting that neither Carlos Santana nor Rod Stewart have been mentioned, including my list.
I mean santana has done a lot but I'm not sure either qualify as icon status
I mean santana has done a lot but I'm not sure either qualify as icon status
I think Santana can certainly have Rock Icon status.....perhaps not Top 5 or 10....but certainly up there somewhere.
-
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
Not bad, but I was actually trying to go for a bit of an objective standard with this question. Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.
Love me some Bob Seger....but objectively....gotta go with Pauly...but the rest of your list is pretty much spot on.
-
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Mick Jagger
Eric Clapton
Bob Seger
These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.
Mike
Not bad, but I was actually trying to go for a bit of an objective standard with this question. Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.
Love me some Bob Seger....but objectively....gotta go with Pauly...but the rest of your list is pretty much spot on.
Not bad, but I was actually trying to go for a bit of an objective standard with this question. Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.
Love me some Bob Seger....but objectively....gotta go with Pauly...but the rest of your list is pretty much spot on.
What is objective about any of this Gipp?
-
It can't be an exact science of course. I would say as objectively as you can how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize the name Frank Sinatra? And how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize Dave Grohl or his band?
It's not an insult to the lesser-known artist just a fact. Has nothing to do with taste. I don't like Led Zeppelin but I would have to admit they are certainly Rock icons of the first order.
WSS
-
Back in the day for me it would be:
Paul McCartney
Mick Jagger
Bob Dylan
Eric Clapton
Neil Young
-
It can't be an exact science of course. I would say as objectively as you can how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize the name Frank Sinatra? And how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize Dave Grohl or his band?
It's not an insult to the lesser-known artist just a fact. Has nothing to do with taste. I don't like Led Zeppelin but I would have to admit they are certainly Rock icons of the first order.
WSS
tons that aren't old. How many people under 50 are going to pick chuck berry out of a lineup or name any of his songs? It's a bit of a generational thing I think. Put chuck berry, chubby checker, little richard and James Brown in a lineup and see how many millenials can correctly pick them out. That's probably different for guys like Paul McCartney but even he was recently denied, twice, entry to an after Grammy party.It can't be an exact science of course. I would say as objectively as you can how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize the name Frank Sinatra? And how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize Dave Grohl or his band?
It's not an insult to the lesser-known artist just a fact. Has nothing to do with taste. I don't like Led Zeppelin but I would have to admit they are certainly Rock icons of the first order.
WSS
So I dont think you can deny guys like Grohl and Hetfield their status because you're not as familiar with them.
-
tons that aren't old. How many people under 50 are going to pick chuck berry out of a lineup or name any of his songs? It's a bit of a generational thing I think. Put chuck berry, chubby checker, little richard and James Brown in a lineup and see how many millenials can correctly pick them out. That's probably different for guys like Paul McCartney but even he was recently denied, twice, entry to an after Grammy party.It can't be an exact science of course. I would say as objectively as you can how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize the name Frank Sinatra? And how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize Dave Grohl or his band?
It's not an insult to the lesser-known artist just a fact. Has nothing to do with taste. I don't like Led Zeppelin but I would have to admit they are certainly Rock icons of the first order.
WSS
So I dont think you can deny guys like Grohl and Hetfield their status because you're not as familiar with them.
tons that aren't old. How many people under 50 are going to pick chuck berry out of a lineup or name any of his songs? It's a bit of a generational thing I think. Put chuck berry, chubby checker, little richard and James Brown in a lineup and see how many millenials can correctly pick them out. That's probably different for guys like Paul McCartney but even he was recently denied, twice, entry to an after Grammy party.
So I dont think you can deny guys like Grohl and Hetfield their status because you're not as familiar with them.
I'm quite familiar with them.
Baseball football and soccer are iconic Sports. Lots of people like lacrosse and curling but I don't put them in the same category. If it makes their fans feel special then fuck it go for it.
WSS
-
there's plenty that would argue with you over the icon status of the sports you've named. Ive read somewhere that table tennis has a greater fanbase world-wide than Football. So, you know, whatever. It's what's iconic to you. It's an incredibly subjective topic no matter what anyone thinks SHOULD be objective.
-
Yeah.
OK
Here's five great living icons:
Gerry Marsden
Gary Brooker
Tony Carey
Eric Carmen
Jimmy Webb
WSS
-
Im sure you could argue
Barbara Streisand
Bette Midler
Barry Manilow
Celine Dion
the Village People
they're certainly icons to SOMEBODY
-
there's plenty that would argue with you over the icon status of the sports you've named. Ive read somewhere that table tennis has a greater fanbase world-wide than Football. So, you know, whatever. It's what's iconic to you. It's an incredibly subjective topic no matter what anyone thinks SHOULD be objective.
there's plenty that would argue with you over the icon status of the sports you've named. Ive read somewhere that table tennis has a greater fanbase world-wide than Football. So, you know, whatever. It's what's iconic to you. It's an incredibly subjective topic no matter what anyone thinks SHOULD be objective.
Right.....actually just looked up the definitin of "icon" to see if my perspective is actually even correct.....and it basically means "a person that is revered".....so.....there are icons of all eras and types and they probably can be generational, as well as geographic, etc....
For this post....The top 5 rock icons....Id say it depends on if it's "your" top 5 or the worlds top 5.......so younger people would err to people who are iconic to their generation(or their icons).....us older guys might pick people who have been iconic longer(or the worlds).....cause Mcartney or Elvis were "icons" for longer than a lot folks have even been alive.....and to some of us older folks, guys like Grohl are just getting started.....
-
I guess I should pull a Gipper and start bellyaching about the title of the threaday then.
You should change the name to top five living people at random.

WSS
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login