Skip to content

Browns Kaepernick Rumors

The Browns Board
439 60 17.6k
  • I hope they put conditions on the pick considering the favor the Browns would be doing for the 9ers if he never returns to form.

    One thing about this though, it sure paints a picture of what Hue wants to do on offense.

    @htownbrown said:

    I hope they put conditions on the pick considering the favor the Browns would be doing for the 9ers if he never returns to form.

    One thing about this though, it sure paints a picture of what Hue wants to do on offense.

    With all of the holes the front office has left us a third round pick, especially as high as ours, is a high price to pay for a player the other team wants to shitcan.

    WSS

  • If I keep an open mind, I COULD remember Kaepernick wasn't a bad QB at all when they made it to the Superbowl. Did he just wake up a bad QB or did that franchise lose a lot of productive players the last 2-3 years while some aging receivers that stayed were losing a step or 2 they couldn't afford to. In the last 2 years their offense lost Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Mike Iupati, Frank Gore just to name a few as well as others and the OC/HC and style of offense most suitable to Kaep's skill set.

    If Hue thinks he can re-tap the previous version of Kaepernick, there could be a trade back for more picks or us using the 2nd pick on a defensive guy with him thinking of snagging a Brandon Doughty or a Kevin Hogan later. We can also keep McCown.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Kap is JM 2.0 taller and without the liquor store(and a SB appearance). Unable to make the adjustment to pocket passer. And doesn't this go against the new philosophy of build through the draft and not waste $ for FA's (or in this case giving away a draft pick + $)? And if we take Kap anyway, then concentrate on the D in the draft and not another QB.

    I think their clearly defined and stated philosophy on QB is and has been to leave no stone unturned and investigate every conceivable option.....and when you're desperate(and we are) then you try everything you can......Im not a fan of Kap, but think if they are serious about signing him, then they have some misgivings about their draft options and just dont want to pass on other top talent(again) to pick another "maybe" project QB.....(at least, not in the first)

    ...they've clearly said they prefer to build through the draft and dont think FA is the ticket to building a team....but, that doesnt completely disqualify signing any FA's or trading for a young player you think can help....you use all the tools available.....

    @mudfly said:

    I think their clearly defined and stated philosophy on QB is and has been to leave no stone unturned and investigate every conceivable option.....and when you're desperate(and we are) then you try everything you can......Im not a fan of Kap, but think if they are serious about signing him, then they have some misgivings about their draft options and just dont want to pass on other top talent(again) to pick another "maybe" project QB.....(at least, not in the first)

    ...they've clearly said they prefer to build through the draft and dont think FA is the ticket to building a team....but, that doesnt completely disqualify signing any FA's or trading for a young player you think can help....you use all the tools available.....

    I'm not all knowing and seeing, butt I see Kap as a compliment to how our offense seems to be

    headed. I see a revamped OL with maulers instead of finesse! I see a stout run game with lots of Duke J. screens and use of his speed/pass catching ability. I also see a way to get both defense

    and a WR high in this draft! I just don't see us taking Ramsey @2 nor do I see Bosa! I see a 3-4

    De or LB @2 and a BIG WR @31 to be ready if JG doesn't pan out or leaves after 2016....Just my 2$...

    I have no cents!!! GO BROWNS

  • If I keep an open mind, I COULD remember Kaepernick wasn't a bad QB at all when they made it to the Superbowl. Did he just wake up a bad QB or did that franchise lose a lot of productive players the last 2-3 years while some aging receivers that stayed were losing a step or 2 they couldn't afford to. In the last 2 years their offense lost Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Mike Iupati, Frank Gore just to name a few as well as others and the OC/HC and style of offense most suitable to Kaep's skill set.

    If Hue thinks he can re-tap the previous version of Kaepernick, there could be a trade back for more picks or us using the 2nd pick on a defensive guy with him thinking of snagging a Brandon Doughty or a Kevin Hogan later. We can also keep McCown.

    @flugel said:

    If I keep an open mind, I COULD remember Kaepernick wasn't a bad QB at all when they made it to the Superbowl.

    If Hue thinks he can re-tap the previous version of Kaepernick...

    Certainly the key factor is Hue seeing a clear path back to the early Kaep... but a glance at his stats does not show a step change, but rather a slow, steady decline from his breakout 2012 season.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

  • I feel like I'm waiting for the proverbial "other shoe to drop."

  • Well...if we end up with McCown, Kap and Goff/Wentz the fans will be very confused about which one to chant for......

    While it might sound like a good idea on paper, Id rather pick a guy and commit for a minute....but with 3 potential starters??? talk about your QB controversies......

    @mudfly said:

    Well...if we end up with McCown, Kap and Goff/Wentz the fans will be very confused about which one to chant for......

    While it might sound like a good idea on paper, Id rather pick a guy and commit for a minute....but with 3 potential starters??? talk about your QB controversies......

    there's certainly potential for controversy, but that only happens if it's a close race among healthy players.

    usually injury dictates who's the "next man up" in Cleveland, so with the right coach it seems it could be a manageable situation.

    it would just be so nice to lock up the entire QB room for the mid-long term ya know? just wishful thinking.

  • Offer them a first round pick, conditional that Ray Farmer select for them.

    WSS

  • Look, Kap or Dick. We understand we have to pay the price to come to Cleveland. Say it with me..." For 9M plus incentives am taking my Talents To Cleveland. I am no longer worth a dime more".

  • Offer them a first round pick, conditional that Ray Farmer select for them.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Offer them a first round pick, conditional that Ray Farmer select for them.

    WSS

    Hahaha

  • I hope they put conditions on the pick considering the favor the Browns would be doing for the 9ers if he never returns to form.

    One thing about this though, it sure paints a picture of what Hue wants to do on offense.

    @htownbrown said:

    I hope they put conditions on the pick considering the favor the Browns would be doing for the 9ers if he never returns to form.

    One thing about this though, it sure paints a picture of what Hue wants to do on offense.

    MHO is our third rounder is too high for Kap, considering the Broncos only gave a 7th for Sanchez. Sure if he returns to SB form, we got a bargain, but I'm not counting on that.

    So.... as I suggested before, offer them a fifth round (we have 3) or maybe a 4th (we have 2) and a conditional pick in 2017 based on his performance. (he makes the Pro Bowl, you get your second) Dear Sashi- cover your bases. And while we're at it, make the contract base cheap and heavily laden with incentives. Fer sure, we bring him in McCown isn't starting, and may well be gonzo.

  • This is bad. I'm excited to see what's happening here and I'm not even that big of a fan of Kaepernick.

    Is it just my trust in Hue? Or how bad we've been at that position for so long? Or maybe it's my fear that maybe these two QBs in the draft aren't what I think they could be?

    Please let this end.

  • Agree.... cannot see this signing and drafting a QB at #2.

    A 3rd round flyer on Dak? Sure... similar skill sets. Keep McC as the vet backup/mentor for both...

    But I do not like running QBs.... just don't...

    Have I mentioned that before?

    @tour2ma said:

    I do not like running QBs.... just don't...

    I do not like green eggs and ham..

    I'm not sure Kaep is actually a QB any more. Kaepernick might be better as a RB, similar to Denard Robinson for the Jags. Just like JFF, Kaepernick's next correct progression will be his first. I forget where I saw the story explaining that Kaepernick wasn't calm enough to complete a fullback flare on the first play of the game for multiple games in a row - he would transform the play into a QB sweep to the other side of the field from the FB..

  • I'm all mixed up on this. I want a QB at number 2 but not sure? If they get Wentz and let him learn with McCown I'm all for it! I see an advantage to taking Kaepernick only if the number two pick is Bosa and the 32 pick someone like Derrick Henry. What I'm trying to say is after 50 years I just don't trust any of the Front Offices anymore. I'd like Bosa, a wide receiver, running back and then defense. I'd be happy if we just played McCown!

  • I'm all mixed up on this. I want a QB at number 2 but not sure? If they get Wentz and let him learn with McCown I'm all for it! I see an advantage to taking Kaepernick only if the number two pick is Bosa and the 32 pick someone like Derrick Henry. What I'm trying to say is after 50 years I just don't trust any of the Front Offices anymore. I'd like Bosa, a wide receiver, running back and then defense. I'd be happy if we just played McCown!

    @opal312 said:

    I'm all mixed up on this. I want a QB at number 2 but not sure? If they get Wentz and let him learn with McCown I'm all for it! I see an advantage to taking Kaepernick only if the number two pick is Bosa and the 32 pick someone like Derrick Henry. What I'm trying to say is after 50 years I just don't trust any of the Front Offices anymore. I'd like Bosa, a wide receiver, running back and then defense. I'd be happy if we just played McCown!

    Yeah if they traded for Kaepernick, then took Bosa/Jack, Doctson and filled holes with the rest of their picks, I can't say as I would be upset with that.

  • I would rather take a QB in the middle to late rounds even if we dont get Kaep ........Goff and Wentz are reaches at 2 IMO.

    Best player available has never done the ravens any harm

  • Offer them a first round pick, conditional that Ray Farmer select for them.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Offer them a first round pick, conditional that Ray Farmer select for them.

    WSS

    That's a classic!

  • @tour2ma said:

    I do not like running QBs.... just don't...

    I do not like green eggs and ham..

    I'm not sure Kaep is actually a QB any more. Kaepernick might be better as a RB, similar to Denard Robinson for the Jags. Just like JFF, Kaepernick's next correct progression will be his first. I forget where I saw the story explaining that Kaepernick wasn't calm enough to complete a fullback flare on the first play of the game for multiple games in a row - he would transform the play into a QB sweep to the other side of the field from the FB..

    @unsympathetic said:

    I'm not sure Kaep is actually a QB any more. Kaepernick might be better as a RB, similar to Denard Robinson for the Jags. Just like JFF, Kaepernick's next correct progression will be his first. I forget where I saw the story explaining that Kaepernick wasn't calm enough to complete a fullback flare on the first play of the game for multiple games in a row - he would transform the play into a QB sweep to the other side of the field from the FB..

    Exactly. Is Hue not aware of this? At this stage of his career, you can't fix basic things like that anymore. Well, the longer this drags out, the happier I am. I hope Kap is asking for tons of money- after he saw what Oswieler got, and this deal falls through.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I'm not sure Kaep is actually a QB any more. Kaepernick might be better as a RB, similar to Denard Robinson for the Jags. Just like JFF, Kaepernick's next correct progression will be his first. I forget where I saw the story explaining that Kaepernick wasn't calm enough to complete a fullback flare on the first play of the game for multiple games in a row - he would transform the play into a QB sweep to the other side of the field from the FB..

    Exactly. Is Hue not aware of this? At this stage of his career, you can't fix basic things like that anymore. Well, the longer this drags out, the happier I am. I hope Kap is asking for tons of money- after he saw what Oswieler got, and this deal falls through.

    @hoorta said:

    Exactly. Is Hue not aware of this? At this stage of his career, you can't fix basic things like that anymore. Well, the longer this drags out, the happier I am. I hope Kap is asking for tons of money- after he saw what Oswieler got, and this deal falls through.

    To be totally frank with you, I trust Hue more than anyone on this Board myself included. I have uneasy feelings about this but Hue is noted at one of the best in the league at getting good play at the QB position. If he thinks Kaep is someone he can get high level play from, I will cede to him on that. He and all the guys in this regime know their tenure rides heavy on this call.

  • Well if we get him Hue's tenure is riding on it. His bet to make, not mine.