Skip to content

Browns Sign former Jet LB Demario Davis

The Browns Board
61 19 2.3k
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Seems like a Robertson like-for-like.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #13

    So Davis is now a starter? With?

  • So Davis is now a starter? With?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tour2ma said:

    So Davis is now a starter? With?

    As I said - looks like he's taking Robertson's running down role, and will split time with Kirksey, with Dansby as starter.

  • Seems like a Robertson like-for-like.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by Osiris
    #15

    @gftchris said:

    Seems like a Robertson like-for-like.

    @tour2ma said:

    So Davis is now a starter? With?

    Was a third-round pick, so perhaps has a higher ceiling then Robertson. Stats-lines are very similar, though. Also a year younger. Solid but not spectacular signing. Hopefully he's a good run-stopper.

  • Laurinitis is a "slow" pos.. no thanks

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @nickers said:

    Laurinitis is a "slow" pos.. no thanks

    looked pretty quick last year darting through gaps and making plays on the offensive side of the LOS. But no you're right we don't need that here in Cleveland. Here in Cleveland we stop the runner 5-10 yds downfield and not a yard sooner. None of this TFL nonsense here in Cleveland, this is where grown ass millionaires let 3rd string RB"s go for 150.

  • @nickers said:

    Laurinitis is a "slow" pos.. no thanks

    looked pretty quick last year darting through gaps and making plays on the offensive side of the LOS. But no you're right we don't need that here in Cleveland. Here in Cleveland we stop the runner 5-10 yds downfield and not a yard sooner. None of this TFL nonsense here in Cleveland, this is where grown ass millionaires let 3rd string RB"s go for 150.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #17

    @clevfan4life said:

    looked pretty quick last year darting through gaps and making plays on the offensive side of the LOS. But no you're right we don't need that here in Cleveland. Here in Cleveland we stop the runner 5-10 yds downfield and not a yard sooner. None of this TFL nonsense here in Cleveland, this is where grown ass millionaires let 3rd string RB"s go for 150.

    Cmon Cleve...you and I are on the same page a lot...mostly cause we are both D guys....but you knock Dansby as crap, all the time, and then want a guy like Laurinitis instead.....except Laurinitis doesnt slash through gaps and make tackles.....last year he had 3 TFL's for a total of -3 yds, including 1 sack and 1 pass def......Dansby had 8 TFL's, 6 PD's, 3 Ints, 2 of which went for TD.s.....so, where are all these TFL's Laurintis gets???...cause they aren't on his stat sheet.....

    Id add that Kirksey had more TFL's, sacks and PD's as well.....and he was a part timer.....

    And Craig Robinson?.....he was last on the team in those catagories....so, probably the right guy to go....

  • @clevfan4life said:

    looked pretty quick last year darting through gaps and making plays on the offensive side of the LOS. But no you're right we don't need that here in Cleveland. Here in Cleveland we stop the runner 5-10 yds downfield and not a yard sooner. None of this TFL nonsense here in Cleveland, this is where grown ass millionaires let 3rd string RB"s go for 150.

    Cmon Cleve...you and I are on the same page a lot...mostly cause we are both D guys....but you knock Dansby as crap, all the time, and then want a guy like Laurinitis instead.....except Laurinitis doesnt slash through gaps and make tackles.....last year he had 3 TFL's for a total of -3 yds, including 1 sack and 1 pass def......Dansby had 8 TFL's, 6 PD's, 3 Ints, 2 of which went for TD.s.....so, where are all these TFL's Laurintis gets???...cause they aren't on his stat sheet.....

    Id add that Kirksey had more TFL's, sacks and PD's as well.....and he was a part timer.....

    And Craig Robinson?.....he was last on the team in those catagories....so, probably the right guy to go....

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @mudfly said:

    Cmon Cleve...you and I are on the same page a lot...mostly cause we are both D guys....but you knock Dansby as crap, all the time, and then want a guy like Laurinitis instead.....except Laurinitis doesnt slash through gaps and make tackles.....last year he had 3 TFL's for a total of -3 yds, including 1 sack and 1 pass def......Dansby had 8 TFL's, 6 PD's, 3 Ints, 2 of which went for TD.s.....so, where are all these TFL's Laurintis gets???...cause they aren't on his stat sheet.....

    I was trolling. I know lorrys lost a step, him and dansbys stats from ladt year are almost identical. Still he looked like he was in the right gaps more often than not in the few games i saw of them. Maybe its that i see dansby every week so i know how often he reads the play wrong. Which is at least 7 out of every 10 plays....i actually tallied one of the games how many times i saw him wash out.

    But i still think a guy like naitis makes sense on a short term contract while we rebuild the lb'ing corp. Its clear dansby isnt the guy thats gonna help in that regard, i wish that werent true

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Didnt kirksey have like 30 tackles ladt year and only missed a few games?

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I thought he would have progressed more under dansby than he has

  • Didnt kirksey have like 30 tackles ladt year and only missed a few games?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @clevfan4life said:

    Didnt kirksey have like 30 tackles ladt year and only missed a few games?

    63 tackles (3.5 sacks) in 2015.

  • Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Not unexpectedly, but Browns fans are trashing the signing. He had a down year, and PFF grades aren't scripture.

  • @gftchris said:

    Seems like a Robertson like-for-like.

    @tour2ma said:

    So Davis is now a starter? With?

    Was a third-round pick, so perhaps has a higher ceiling then Robertson. Stats-lines are very similar, though. Also a year younger. Solid but not spectacular signing. Hopefully he's a good run-stopper.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @osiris said:

    Was a third-round pick, so perhaps has a higher ceiling then Robertson. Stats-lines are very similar, though. Also a year younger. Solid but not spectacular signing. Hopefully he's a good run-stopper.

    This is the moneyball stuff.

    I am excited to see it play out.

    The league may be laughing, but I think Sashi and Depo know exactly what they are doing.

    I bet we are a pretty scrappy team in year one, and with the right QB ... maybe a little hard to handle.

    Zombo

  • @osiris said:

    Was a third-round pick, so perhaps has a higher ceiling then Robertson. Stats-lines are very similar, though. Also a year younger. Solid but not spectacular signing. Hopefully he's a good run-stopper.

    This is the moneyball stuff.

    I am excited to see it play out.

    The league may be laughing, but I think Sashi and Depo know exactly what they are doing.

    I bet we are a pretty scrappy team in year one, and with the right QB ... maybe a little hard to handle.

    Zombo

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Zombo said:

    This is the moneyball stuff.

    I am excited to see it play out.

    The league may be laughing, but I think Sashi and Depo know exactly what they are doing.

    I bet we are a pretty scrappy team in year one, and with the right QB ... maybe a little hard to handle.

    Zombo

    Me too. Though, I'm wary of getting too excited about every unheralded signing as if they're a sure fire pro-bowler that just hasn't been used right yet and we'll get that sorted.

  • Zombo said:

    This is the moneyball stuff.

    I am excited to see it play out.

    The league may be laughing, but I think Sashi and Depo know exactly what they are doing.

    I bet we are a pretty scrappy team in year one, and with the right QB ... maybe a little hard to handle.

    Zombo

    Me too. Though, I'm wary of getting too excited about every unheralded signing as if they're a sure fire pro-bowler that just hasn't been used right yet and we'll get that sorted.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @gftchris said:

    Me too. Though, I'm wary of getting too excited about every unheralded signing as if they're a sure fire pro-bowler that just hasn't been used right yet and we'll get that sorted.

    We're not signing Pro Bowlers. But we are finding the Scott Hattebergs of the NFL, and when you add them up the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts.

    Zombo

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Didnt kirksey have like 30 tackles ladt year and only missed a few games?

    63 tackles (3.5 sacks) in 2015.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gftchris said:

    63 tackles (3.5 sacks) in 2015.

    Is that total tackles? I thought i just read he had 30'ish on his own. Both dansby and naitis have over 100 combined. I have zero issue with signing young lb'ers, we have to sign and draft young guys to rebuild. But we need a vet or two. This is how the steelers turn their roster over. And im in no mood to debate the merits of that approach, its tried and tested. We may hate the steelers but you have to respect the way the organization stays relevant

  • @gftchris said:

    Me too. Though, I'm wary of getting too excited about every unheralded signing as if they're a sure fire pro-bowler that just hasn't been used right yet and we'll get that sorted.

    We're not signing Pro Bowlers. But we are finding the Scott Hattebergs of the NFL, and when you add them up the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts.

    Zombo

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Zombo said:

    we are finding the Scott Hattebergs of the NFL...

    Zombo

    I'll assume that's a good thing 😉

    I agree, a bunch of 'scrappy' hard working solid football players, sprinkled with some stardust in the form of Haden, Shelton and maybe someone like Bosa or Buckner, could make us a very competitive team.

  • I'll stick with "around" the team. Thanks for your input, though.

    And I don't especially believe there's that much to be negative about, but that doesn't change that writers and media pundits "around" the team are expressing their negative beliefs.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @mike-h said:

    I'll stick with "around" the team. Thanks for your input, though.

    And I don't especially believe there's that much to be negative about, but that doesn't change that writers and media pundits "around" the team are expressing their negative beliefs.

    To me "around the team" means the people that are inside the organization. Players/coaches/FO types. etc. Writers and media pundits are still outsiders.

    I mean, the garbage collectors in Berea are "around the team". That doesn't give them any cred for what happens inside the team's walls.

  • @gftchris said:

    63 tackles (3.5 sacks) in 2015.

    Is that total tackles? I thought i just read he had 30'ish on his own. Both dansby and naitis have over 100 combined. I have zero issue with signing young lb'ers, we have to sign and draft young guys to rebuild. But we need a vet or two. This is how the steelers turn their roster over. And im in no mood to debate the merits of that approach, its tried and tested. We may hate the steelers but you have to respect the way the organization stays relevant

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @clevfan4life said:

    Is that total tackles? I thought i just read he had 30'ish on his own. Both dansby and naitis have over 100 combined. I have zero issue with signing young lb'ers, we have to sign and draft young guys to rebuild. But we need a vet or two. This is how the steelers turn their roster over. And im in no mood to debate the merits of that approach, its tried and tested. We may hate the steelers but you have to respect the way the organization stays relevant

    Kirksey had 40 solo tackles. Dansby 62. Laurainitis 61. Robertson 34.

    Bear in mind Kirksey and Robertson split reps - if anyone has total snap counts I'd be interested.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #30

    So, I understand Mr. Davis has already met our QB:

    12035163_10153111405063202_1122309905_n.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Davis joins offensive lineman Alvin Bailey and linebacker Justin Tuggle as free agent additions to the Browns roster.

    OK, the Browns have signed 3 FAs....yet people say they have done nothing. That is about the average number of FA signings for teams in the NFL. No huge names, sure. Lost 4 starters, sure....but they haven' t done NOTHING.