Skip to content

RG3 Signs with the Browns

Locked The Browns Board
457 66 17.1k
  • Maybe our front office fell for a guy whos not one of the top rated guys....Maybe they think hes the Andy Dalton of this class...

    @flyin-j said:

    Maybe our front office fell for a guy whos not one of the top rated guys....Maybe they think hes the Andy Dalton of this class...

    Who would that be?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    "character concerns"----now what the hell does that mean?

    http://nesn.com/2016/03/report-robert-griffin-iiis-character-concerned-john-elway-broncos/

    It probably means the Shanahans badmouthed RG III to Elway.

    @hoorta said:

    It probably means the Shanahans badmouthed RG III to Elway.

    Doubt it...

    All teams heard the same negatives. Hue was the one person who looked into RG's eyes and believed him when he said he'd learned his lesson.

    Hue's may be the correct read, but it is easiest to be humble when you have nothing.

    @htownbrown said:

    Hue Jackson is the man. I'm not saying it, Jimmy is. Hue was Jimmy's first choice this time, so I expect he will ride this ride longer than most. If Hue finds a Dalton-like prospect out there he can mold into a winner from round 2 or 3 of the draft, would that be considered neglect?

    He'd better be the man-and-a-half if he's going to find and develop a QB on an Andy Dalton time schedule...

  • And why Andy Dalton? I'm looking for a lot better than Andy Dalton...

  • And why Andy Dalton? I'm looking for a lot better than Andy Dalton...

    @tour2ma said:

    And why Andy Dalton? I'm looking for a lot better than Andy Dalton...

    Would it be fair to say Andy Dalton = Vinnie Testaverde?

  • Going all the way back to 1990, the following were QBs taken in Round one who started a Super Bowl:

    Peyton Manning

    Cam Newton

    Joe Flacco

    Eli Manning

    Aaron Rodgers

    Ben R.

    Rex Grossman

    Donovan McNabb

    Steve McNair

    Kerry Collins

    Trent Dilfer

    John Elway

    Drew Bledsoe

    Troy Aikman

    Steve Young

    Jim Kelly

    The following were NON first round draft picks to start a Super Bowl:

    Tom Brady

    Russell Wilson

    Colin Kaepernick

    Drew Brees

    Kurt Warner

    Matt Hasselback

    Jake Delhomme

    Rich Gannon

    Brad Johnson

    Chris Chandler

    Brett Favre

    Neil O'Donnell

    Stan Humphries

    Mark Rypien

    Jeff Hostetler

    Joe Montana

    That is actually 15 first rounders.....and 16 non first rounders.

    For what that's worth.

    @the-gipper said:

    The following were NON first round draft picks to start a Super Bowl:

    Tom Brady

    Russell Wilson

    Colin Kaepernick

    Drew Brees

    Kurt Warner

    Matt Hasselback

    Jake Delhomme

    Rich Gannon

    Brad Johnson

    Chris Chandler

    Brett Favre

    Neil O'Donnell

    Stan Humphries

    Mark Rypien

    Jeff Hostetler

    Joe Montana

    That is actually 15 first rounders.....and 16 non first rounders.

    For what that's worth.

    Not to be a butthead Gip, but looking at that list, how many of those non first rounders were consistently great? Montana is in the HOF, Farve joins him this year, Brady is a lock, and Brees is a probable.

    Other than that- a lot of one and done-s. Some because their respective defenses were all world. Even first rounder Trent Dilfer owes that SB win to Ray Lewis and Company.

    I suppose I can settle for "Just one before I die". But wouldn't it be nice for a change to have a decade of greatness with a Otto Graham clone running the show? Otto retired 61 years ago. I'd say the Browns are long overdue for another HOF quarterback. 🙂🙂🙂

  • @tour2ma said:

    And why Andy Dalton? I'm looking for a lot better than Andy Dalton...

    Would it be fair to say Andy Dalton = Vinnie Testaverde?

    @hoorta said:

    Would it be fair to say Andy Dalton = Vinnie Testaverde?

    Not really. I think Dalton has been better than that. Vinny only went to the playoffs 5 times in his long career. Dalton has already been there in his first 4 years in the league.

    Plus I think Dalton's completion pct. and int. pct are quite a bit better than Vinny's.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The following were NON first round draft picks to start a Super Bowl:

    Tom Brady

    Russell Wilson

    Colin Kaepernick

    Drew Brees

    Kurt Warner

    Matt Hasselback

    Jake Delhomme

    Rich Gannon

    Brad Johnson

    Chris Chandler

    Brett Favre

    Neil O'Donnell

    Stan Humphries

    Mark Rypien

    Jeff Hostetler

    Joe Montana

    That is actually 15 first rounders.....and 16 non first rounders.

    For what that's worth.

    Not to be a butthead Gip, but looking at that list, how many of those non first rounders were consistently great? Montana is in the HOF, Farve joins him this year, Brady is a lock, and Brees is a probable.

    Other than that- a lot of one and done-s. Some because their respective defenses were all world. Even first rounder Trent Dilfer owes that SB win to Ray Lewis and Company.

    I suppose I can settle for "Just one before I die". But wouldn't it be nice for a change to have a decade of greatness with a Otto Graham clone running the show? Otto retired 61 years ago. I'd say the Browns are long overdue for another HOF quarterback. 🙂🙂🙂

    @hoorta said:

    Not to be a butthead Gip, but looking at that list, how many of those non first rounders were consistently great? Montana is in the HOF, Farve joins him this year, Brady is a lock, and Brees is a probable.

    Other than that- a lot of one and done-s. Some because their respective defenses were all world. Even first rounder Trent Dilfer owes that SB win to Ray Lewis and Company.

    I suppose I can settle for "Just one before I die". But wouldn't it be nice for a change to have a decade of greatness with a Otto Graham clone running the show? Otto retired 61 years ago. I'd say the Browns are long overdue for another HOF quarterback. 🙂🙂🙂

    I am only basically giving raw data here. About as many of the first rounders were "one and done" as were the non first rounders....and some of the non first rounders were clearly around for a decade of greatness.

    The two QBs probably considered the greatest of all were the non first rounders: Brady/Montana.

    Odds are certainly better in getting a franchise QB in the first round.....But the other rounds do produce to occasional superstar.

  • @hoorta said:

    Would it be fair to say Andy Dalton = Vinnie Testaverde?

    Not really. I think Dalton has been better than that. Vinny only went to the playoffs 5 times in his long career. Dalton has already been there in his first 4 years in the league.

    Plus I think Dalton's completion pct. and int. pct are quite a bit better than Vinny's.

    @the-gipper said:

    Not really. I think Dalton has been better than that. Vinny only went to the playoffs 5 times in his long career. Dalton has already been there in his first 4 years in the league.

    Plus I think Dalton's completion pct. and int. pct are quite a bit better than Vinny's.

    I was going to ask h to ask again in 5 or 10 years...

    Vinny spent much of his career being his team's best offensive player. Hardly the case with Andy...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not really. I think Dalton has been better than that. Vinny only went to the playoffs 5 times in his long career. Dalton has already been there in his first 4 years in the league.

    Plus I think Dalton's completion pct. and int. pct are quite a bit better than Vinny's.

    I was going to ask h to ask again in 5 or 10 years...

    Vinny spent much of his career being his team's best offensive player. Hardly the case with Andy...

    @tour2ma said:

    I was going to ask h to ask again in 5 or 10 years...

    Vinny spent much of his career being his team's best offensive player. Hardly the case with Andy...

    Gipper is still mad about Vinny vs Bernie.

    WSS

  • Doesn't mean much. The 1st round picks tend to go to the worst teams.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not really. I think Dalton has been better than that. Vinny only went to the playoffs 5 times in his long career. Dalton has already been there in his first 4 years in the league.

    Plus I think Dalton's completion pct. and int. pct are quite a bit better than Vinny's.

    I was going to ask h to ask again in 5 or 10 years...

    Vinny spent much of his career being his team's best offensive player. Hardly the case with Andy...

    @tour2ma said:

    I was going to ask h to ask again in 5 or 10 years...

    Vinny spent much of his career being his team's best offensive player. Hardly the case with Andy...

    Yea, perhaps. The whole :how good is the team around him" thing

  • @tour2ma said:

    I was going to ask h to ask again in 5 or 10 years...

    Vinny spent much of his career being his team's best offensive player. Hardly the case with Andy...

    Gipper is still mad about Vinny vs Bernie.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Gipper is still mad about Vinny vs Bernie.

    WSS

    No, I actually liked them both. It was Bernie vs. Todd Philcox that got me mad.

    And I always said that if you could combine Bernie's brain with Testaverde's arm and body you would have had the greatest QB ever.

  • @westside-steve said:

    And I thought you hated them. Ironic ain't it?

    Yep I like Johnny and I like Colt McCoy, the guy your buddy held a clipboard for.

    The reason I gave up on Johnny finally, and it was a disappointmen, was when it was clear he didn't really want to be a Cleveland Brown or even play quarterback in the NFL.

    I never liked RG3 and still don't. I think he was an arrogant asshole and probably the biggest bust of the decade. We gave pick number 22 for Johnny how much did Washington pay for RG3? And Johnny at least pretended he wanted to be here RG3 made it clear he didn't. So fuck him, he's Washington's problem anyway. Well up until recently.

    Also he had a coaching staff falling all over themselves to write an offense around him while Johnny had a grumpy old prick who thought he was coaching High School and found a beer in a kid's Locker.

    But this isn't about Johnny, Johnny is gone. It's more about Josh McCown, a quality player a stand-up guy and a man among men. He's not a guy who cries racism or points the finger at his teammates when he stinks up the field. And if you are taking Carson Wentz or Jared Goff Josh is the kind of guy you'd probably want, willing to share his vast knowledge of the league with a newcomer. Not a me first prick.

    But whatever the agenda RG3 seems like he's coach Jackson's boy, and he's certainly young enough if the coach thinks he can transform his career. If that's the case I'm just guessing he wouldn't want to threaten him with a high pick. Certainly don't want another Brian Hoyer meltdown.

    So I'm just speculating the same as everybody else. I can easily see the coach set his sights on some also-ran in the third round.

    Since I don't know a damn thing, like most of us, and like many people who earn a good living making shit up, I could easily be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

    If I'm wrong I will shrug my shoulders, if I'm right I'll gloat like a little bitch.

    😁

    WSS

    +1000

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    +1000

    these fucking morons still blame mccowns int against denver for the loss...fucking morons.....

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    +1000

    these fucking morons still blame mccowns int against denver for the loss...fucking morons.....

    @browns52 said:

    these fucking morons still blame mccowns int against denver for the loss...fucking morons.....

    What are you talking about you brain dead twerp?

  • Link below to transcript of RG's Media Conference call...

    Warning: Is oozing oversized ego...

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/18419/transcript-of-robert-griffin-iiis-media-conference-call

  • Link below to transcript of RG's Media Conference call...

    Warning: Is oozing oversized ego...

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/18419/transcript-of-robert-griffin-iiis-media-conference-call

    @tour2ma said:

    Link below to transcript of RG's Media Conference call...

    Warning: Is oozing oversized ego...

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/18419/transcript-of-robert-griffin-iiis-media-conference-call

    You see what you look for, I guess...

  • Link below to transcript of RG's Media Conference call...

    Warning: Is oozing oversized ego...

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/18419/transcript-of-robert-griffin-iiis-media-conference-call

    @tour2ma said:

    Link below to transcript of RG's Media Conference call...

    Warning: Is oozing oversized ego...

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/18419/transcript-of-robert-griffin-iiis-media-conference-call

    Well, I do want him to exhibit some confidence.

  • @baconhound said:

    Flacco was lucky to step into a quality organization with talent already established. Again we are talking about the Browns. Who is the #1 WR on this team? The guy who sat out the year or the other guy.

    I mean seriously- the best quarterbacks in the draft almost always go to talent depleted teams. Like the Tampa, the Jags and Titans were loaded when they took their franchise qbs? Only luck out was Rodgers who fell far enough to sit behind Farve. Andrew Luck was a fluke too, as you could almost say the Colts tanked.

    It could be why we picked up Griffin, so whoever we draft @ #2- and I'm damn near certain it's going to be Wentz or Goff- gets to sit for at least 1\2 the season.

    @hoorta said:

    I mean seriously- the best quarterbacks in the draft almost always go to talent depleted teams. Like the Tampa, the Jags and Titans were loaded when they took their franchise qbs? Only luck out was Rodgers who fell far enough to sit behind Farve. Andrew Luck was a fluke too, as you could almost say the Colts tanked.

    @hoorta said:

    You're missing the point. I counted Wilson in the non first round QBs. Doesn't matter the teams that drafted Manning and Rothlisberger were having down years- you forget where they got drafted? Manning #1 overall. Ben #9. That is the point. Recent SB wining QBs in general were drafted high in the first round. Brady skews the stats, and there's the occasional outlier like Wilson or Warner.

    You can count Wilson wherever you want but some best QBs, regardless of draft position, in the last decade weren't drafted to bad teams. Eli & Big Ben won because they were drafted into very good situations. Show me the top QB of the last 10 years drafted to a bottom feeding team that has won a Super Bowl? Probably have to go all the way back to Troy Aikman in 1989.

  • @hoorta said:

    I mean seriously- the best quarterbacks in the draft almost always go to talent depleted teams. Like the Tampa, the Jags and Titans were loaded when they took their franchise qbs? Only luck out was Rodgers who fell far enough to sit behind Farve. Andrew Luck was a fluke too, as you could almost say the Colts tanked.

    @hoorta said:

    You're missing the point. I counted Wilson in the non first round QBs. Doesn't matter the teams that drafted Manning and Rothlisberger were having down years- you forget where they got drafted? Manning #1 overall. Ben #9. That is the point. Recent SB wining QBs in general were drafted high in the first round. Brady skews the stats, and there's the occasional outlier like Wilson or Warner.

    You can count Wilson wherever you want but some best QBs, regardless of draft position, in the last decade weren't drafted to bad teams. Eli & Big Ben won because they were drafted into very good situations. Show me the top QB of the last 10 years drafted to a bottom feeding team that has won a Super Bowl? Probably have to go all the way back to Troy Aikman in 1989.

    @baconhound said:

    You can count Wilson wherever you want but some best QBs, regardless of draft position, in the last decade weren't drafted to bad teams. Eli & Big Ben won because they were drafted into very good situations. Show me the top QB of the last 10 years drafted to a bottom feeding team that has won a Super Bowl? Probably have to go all the way back to Troy Aikman in 1989.

    so if YOU want the browns to wait to have a good team to warrant a first round pick of their supposed franchise QB, WE should have to wait what......another 3<6 years?

    no thank you.

  • @baconhound said:

    You can count Wilson wherever you want but some best QBs, regardless of draft position, in the last decade weren't drafted to bad teams. Eli & Big Ben won because they were drafted into very good situations. Show me the top QB of the last 10 years drafted to a bottom feeding team that has won a Super Bowl? Probably have to go all the way back to Troy Aikman in 1989.

    so if YOU want the browns to wait to have a good team to warrant a first round pick of their supposed franchise QB, WE should have to wait what......another 3<6 years?

    no thank you.

    @miktoxic said:

    so if YOU want the browns to wait to have a good team to warrant a first round pick of their supposed franchise QB, WE should have to wait what......another 3<6 years?

    no thank you.

    No need to wait if you think you've got the next Andrew Luck. I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything other than surface facts on Goff & Wentz. I didn't watch too many Cal and North Dakota State games this year, as I'd wager many in here didn't. There are persons inside the organization whose job it is to perform that task and they will ultimately make the decision. As a fan I think drafting a QB in the top 10 because you have a need and you think a guy could be the one isn't the best plan when you have glaring needs all over your football team.