RG3 Signs with the Browns
-
I'll say right now, we could have been a winning team last season with McCown, if not for the complete break down of the rest of the team. QB wasn't the issue, but it's the first thing we want to address? That's the pill that won't go down easy for me. So in my mind at least, after day 1 of the draft we will be no better as a team then we already were if we draft a Qb. We will be younger there, but not better. 300+ yards passing isn't enough to win games with this roster obviously.
-
Doing an analysis of the bad first round picks doesn't mean much - except that
the Browns fo and coaches drafted stupidly. There are guys who have elite physical
talent, but WHO are they on and off the field?
Do they love the game? Have the work ethic and desire to succeed?
That bit of criteria would pretty much have saved the Browns from a lot of drafting failures.
Some folks say they don't care about off the field, but with the qb who will remain nameless, and
the wr who can't stay on the field.... it matters a hell of a lot, especially when you draft in the first
couple of rounds.
-
Agree...
There is a difference between THE top QB and a top QB...
So.....you agree that a 1st round pick shouldn't be expected to play like a first rounder. That its OK for them to just be throw away picks.
Because that is essentiallywhat we have had....first round throwaway picks. Weeden, Richardson, Mingo, Manziel, Gilbert.
Fucking throw away picks that I think should have been top notch players.
Sorry that I feel that way. I am a Browns fan and I expect our first round picks to play like that is what they are. I want them all to be Joe Thomas....or at least Joe Haden in terms of their production. I don't care if they are #1 overall or #32.
So.....you agree that a 1st round pick shouldn't be expected to play like a first rounder. That its OK for them to just be throw away picks.
Because that is essentiallywhat we have had....first round throwaway picks. Weeden, Richardson, Mingo, Manziel, Gilbert.
Fucking throw away picks that I think should have been top notch players.
Sorry that I feel that way. I am a Browns fan and I expect our first round picks to play like that is what they are. I want them all to be Joe Thomas....or at least Joe Haden in terms of their production. I don't care if they are #1 overall or #32.
First, do you actually stomp your feet when you make your little nonsensically unresponsive posts or is that just what i imagine when I read them?
Second, do you honestly believe that all first rounders are created equal? All 32 of them?
-
I'll say right now, we could have been a winning team last season with McCown, if not for the complete break down of the rest of the team. QB wasn't the issue, but it's the first thing we want to address? That's the pill that won't go down easy for me. So in my mind at least, after day 1 of the draft we will be no better as a team then we already were if we draft a Qb. We will be younger there, but not better. 300+ yards passing isn't enough to win games with this roster obviously.
I'll say right now, we could have been a winning team last season with McCown, if not for the complete break down of the rest of the team. QB wasn't the issue, but it's the first thing we want to address? That's the pill that won't go down easy for me. So in my mind at least, after day 1 of the draft we will be no better as a team then we already were if we draft a Qb. We will be younger there, but not better. 300+ yards passing isn't enough to win games with this roster obviously.
OK, finally get where you're coming from. I respectfully disagree. I'm looking beyond day 1 in the draft. We need a RT to replace Schwartz, should be one there. Hope and pray Erving does better at center than he did at guard. The X factor to improve is Josh Gordon. The silence is deafening there. The way I read the reinstatement policy-
"1. Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the player will be interviewed by the Medical Director and the Medical Advisor, who will make a recommendation to the Commissioner.
2. Gordon will provide access to information about his substance abuse history, including but not limited to attendance at counseling sessions (individual, group and family); attendance at 12-step and other self-help group meetings; periodic progress reports; and all diagnostic findings and treatment recommendations.
3. He'll submit to urine testing by the NFL at a frequency determined by the Medical Advisor.
4. He'll agree in a meeting with the Commissioner or his representative(s) to comply with the conditions imposed by the Commissioner for his reinstatement to the status of an active player.
5. All individuals involved in the process will take steps to enable the Commissioner to render a decision within 60 days of the receipt of the application."
YO, Comish- time is almost up, we should hear something by April 3rd at the latest. (60 days from February 3rd, the date he was banned last year)
-
the commish will probably wait til after the draft, per his friends, the looney rooneys.
-
the commish will probably wait til after the draft, per his friends, the looney rooneys.
Cal, even the Rooneys can't mess with this one- it's in the CBA- plain as mud. What's puzzling to me- is the why this is all so hush-hush. Gordon HAD to have met with the Medical Director by now, way past 45 days. Not a peep anywhere. I'll assume that went OK. So where's the Twitterverse Gordon to meet with Goodell to discuss possible reinstatement?
-
So.....you agree that a 1st round pick shouldn't be expected to play like a first rounder. That its OK for them to just be throw away picks.
Because that is essentiallywhat we have had....first round throwaway picks. Weeden, Richardson, Mingo, Manziel, Gilbert.
Fucking throw away picks that I think should have been top notch players.
Sorry that I feel that way. I am a Browns fan and I expect our first round picks to play like that is what they are. I want them all to be Joe Thomas....or at least Joe Haden in terms of their production. I don't care if they are #1 overall or #32.
First, do you actually stomp your feet when you make your little nonsensically unresponsive posts or is that just what i imagine when I read them?
Second, do you honestly believe that all first rounders are created equal? All 32 of them?
First, do you actually stomp your feet when you make your little nonsensically unresponsive posts or is that just what i imagine when I read them?
Second, do you honestly believe that all first rounders are created equal? All 32 of them?
My responses are perfectly apt:
No, but I believe all first rounders should be productive, contributing members to their team on at least an intermediate basis.
Do you not believe that?
-
First, do you actually stomp your feet when you make your little nonsensically unresponsive posts or is that just what i imagine when I read them?
Second, do you honestly believe that all first rounders are created equal? All 32 of them?
My responses are perfectly apt:
No, but I believe all first rounders should be productive, contributing members to their team on at least an intermediate basis.
Do you not believe that?
My responses are perfectly apt:
No, but I believe all first rounders should be productive, contributing members to their team on at least an intermediate basis.
Do you not believe that?
I don't always agree with the Gipper but if you are one of the 32 best football players in the country, meaning the world, it stands to reason you should be able to play at at least a respectable level, no?
The exception to the rule should be when a first-round player busts.
WSS
-
My responses are perfectly apt:
No, but I believe all first rounders should be productive, contributing members to their team on at least an intermediate basis.
Do you not believe that?
I don't always agree with the Gipper but if you are one of the 32 best football players in the country, meaning the world, it stands to reason you should be able to play at at least a respectable level, no?
The exception to the rule should be when a first-round player busts.
WSS
I don't always agree with the Gipper but if you are one of the 32 best football players in the country, meaning the world, it stands to reason you should be able to play at at least a respectable level, no?
The exception to the rule should be when a first-round player busts.
WSS
I think the point is that the Browns historically don't always take one of the best 32 players with their first round pick.
-
I don't always agree with the Gipper but if you are one of the 32 best football players in the country, meaning the world, it stands to reason you should be able to play at at least a respectable level, no?
The exception to the rule should be when a first-round player busts.
WSS
I think the point is that the Browns historically don't always take one of the best 32 players with their first round pick.
I think the point is that the Browns historically don't always take one of the best 32 players with their first round pick.
Well, the theory is that they are supposed to be able to evaluate these players at a level where most of these first round picks are productive contributors. I think they should hit on a minimum 60%. But, yes, historically they have sucked swamp water in this area.
They are only hitting at a 20% rate. Yes, it is a gripe about the past....and unproductive toward the future. But it explains why yet again we have to try to go after positions that I think should have been covered: QB, pass rusher etc.
Over and over again we have to keep drafting the same thing. in the last 10 years we have gotten one JT, one Haden, one Mack.
We should have had 7 players that played at that level, not three. And one of them should have been a damned QB.
-
I don't always agree with the Gipper but if you are one of the 32 best football players in the country, meaning the world, it stands to reason you should be able to play at at least a respectable level, no?
The exception to the rule should be when a first-round player busts.
WSS
I think the point is that the Browns historically don't always take one of the best 32 players with their first round pick.
Probably a big factor combined with some blind luck.I think the point is that the Browns historically don't always take one of the best 32 players with their first round pick.
Plus a good bit of reshuffling the deck every 18 months. Jeff Faine comes to mind.
WSS
-
I think the point is that the Browns historically don't always take one of the best 32 players with their first round pick.
Well, the theory is that they are supposed to be able to evaluate these players at a level where most of these first round picks are productive contributors. I think they should hit on a minimum 60%. But, yes, historically they have sucked swamp water in this area.
They are only hitting at a 20% rate. Yes, it is a gripe about the past....and unproductive toward the future. But it explains why yet again we have to try to go after positions that I think should have been covered: QB, pass rusher etc.
Over and over again we have to keep drafting the same thing. in the last 10 years we have gotten one JT, one Haden, one Mack.
We should have had 7 players that played at that level, not three. And one of them should have been a damned QB.
Well, the theory is that they are supposed to be able to evaluate these players at a level where most of these first round picks are productive contributors. I think they should hit on a minimum 60%. But, yes, historically they have sucked swamp water in this area.
They are only hitting at a 20% rate. Yes, it is a gripe about the past....and unproductive toward the future. But it explains why yet again we have to try to go after positions that I think should have been covered: QB, pass rusher etc.
Over and over again we have to keep drafting the same thing. in the last 10 years we have gotten one JT, one Haden, one Mack.
We should have had 7 players that played at that level, not three. And one of them should have been a damned QB.
a major part of the problem is the constant upheaval. Who knows, in a certain coach's system some of the Browns' first-rounders may have actually been decent. The problem is Browns players never really get more than 3 years playing in and seeing other players drafted for the same system. One front office has a vision, drafts players that fit that vision, and before those players "click" and a solid core of players is established that vision is flushed, a new front office comes in, wants to bring in "their" guys, and the never-ending rebuild starts again. Very few players can excel no matter what system they're placed in/what teammates they have around them, and that would account for our measly 20%. If the Browns had some stability, that number very well may be 60%.
-
Well, the theory is that they are supposed to be able to evaluate these players at a level where most of these first round picks are productive contributors. I think they should hit on a minimum 60%. But, yes, historically they have sucked swamp water in this area.
They are only hitting at a 20% rate. Yes, it is a gripe about the past....and unproductive toward the future. But it explains why yet again we have to try to go after positions that I think should have been covered: QB, pass rusher etc.
Over and over again we have to keep drafting the same thing. in the last 10 years we have gotten one JT, one Haden, one Mack.
We should have had 7 players that played at that level, not three. And one of them should have been a damned QB.
a major part of the problem is the constant upheaval. Who knows, in a certain coach's system some of the Browns' first-rounders may have actually been decent. The problem is Browns players never really get more than 3 years playing in and seeing other players drafted for the same system. One front office has a vision, drafts players that fit that vision, and before those players "click" and a solid core of players is established that vision is flushed, a new front office comes in, wants to bring in "their" guys, and the never-ending rebuild starts again. Very few players can excel no matter what system they're placed in/what teammates they have around them, and that would account for our measly 20%. If the Browns had some stability, that number very well may be 60%.
a major part of the problem is the constant upheaval. Who knows, in a certain coach's system some of the Browns' first-rounders may have actually been decent. The problem is Browns players never really get more than 3 years playing in and seeing other players drafted for the same system. One front office has a vision, drafts players that fit that vision, and before those players "click" and a solid core of players is established that vision is flushed, a new front office comes in, wants to bring in "their" guys, and the never-ending rebuild starts again. Very few players can excel no matter what system they're placed in/what teammates they have around them, and that would account for our measly 20%. If the Browns had some stability, that number very well may be 60%.
I doubt it. I don't think it was the system, or the change in system. All of these guys had chances to go play in other systems. And only maybe Warren and Wimbley and K2 were mediocre at best in those other systems, not better than they were here though. When these guys went elsewhere, they all were just as putrid as they were here.
-

-

As of tomorrow RG3 was named a Brown 4 months ago. Enjoyed reviewing the old opinions. But shortly things will really start to come into focus..(so has RG3 teammates) Make your final claim now. We all know it starts at QB position. Did Hue Jackson get his right guy,with Goff off the board? No Pressure, No Diamonds..
-
I'm in on RG3. At first no but I got to convincing myself it'll work.
-
Goff wasn't on the board.
-
-
gftChris, put the warm beer down & grab a cold one. That's what OFF the Board means, Goff was not their to get at any time nor worth trading up 1 slot anymore

-
Ok guys, I don't think this is worth "starting a new RG III thread" over, but let's have your predictions of his upcoming season. I guess I'll go first.
My hopeful year: RG III wins the starting job and plays well enough for us to be competitive. For those who don't know, our Browns get the benefit of beginning the season with 5 of our first 7 games ON THE ROAD, and our two home games against the Ravens and Patriots (the game Brady comes back from suspension. Awesome". So I don't foresee RG III playing competitively as equaling a ton of wins, but playing well to keep us in most games would be terrific. How about RG III plays 15 out of 16 games (one game missed with injury), and his numbers hopefully are something like: 22 passing tds, 4 rushing tds, 3100 yards passing, and 12 INT's.
The OTHER scenario: RG III "wins the starting job", but there is much controversy regarding the decision, as McCown puts up better numbers in the preseason and looks better in camp. RG III doesn't make quick decisions, and fails to push the ball downfield to our WR's (who may or may not be getting open). After an 0-5 start, Hue Jackson has no choice but to bench the guy, and Josh comes in for the foreseeable future.
I don't think there is much wiggle room, and I don't think there is a third option. Either RG III plays well enough to warrant his starting status, or he completely tanks. I don't think there is an option where RG III "comes out smoking and takes the league by storm". I believe it'll be either of these two scenarios previously listed.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login